Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Blair Witch Film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 06:41 AM

Received 4,841 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Found footage masterpiece The Blair Witch Project came along and changed the game back in 1999, subsequently spawning its own sprawling universe of media, including official follow-up films in 2000 and 2016 as well as multiple books and video games that have served to deepen the lore. But how much longer do we have to wait for another Blair Witch movie?

As you may recall, it had been reported last April that Lionsgate was looking to relaunch the Blair Witch Project franchise, and Production Weekly brings us an update this week.

Production Weekly informs us that Oliver Park has been hired to direct “Untitled Blair Witch Sequel” for Lionsgate, and it’s reportedly targeting a late summer/fall shoot. Park is a British writer/director who helmed last year’s The Offering, and his directing credits also include “Strange Events” (2015), Still (2017), and A Night of Horror: Nightmare Radio (2019).

Of particular note, the production company attached to the project is Haxan Films, the team behind the original Blair Witch Project. These details have not been confirmed by Lionsgate at this time, but both Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez are listed as producers. The original found footage classic from 1999 was written and directed by Myrick and Sánchez.

Blair Witch (2016), directed by Adam Wingard, wasn’t exactly a big hit at the box office, but the original film’s directors have never given up hope on someday returning to the franchise to pump new life into it. Oddly enough, creators Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez didn’t have much creative input on either of the follow-up films, despite having a wealth of ideas.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...for-lionsgate/
Old 05-06-23, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts
re: Untitled Blair Witch Film

This is great news. I loved Wingard's effort as well. He did a good job of showing the time loss and the monster reveal (No, it wasn't the Blair witch).

If they put the effort in again, it should turn out well.

Old 04-10-24, 12:32 PM

Received 4,841 Likes on 3,274 Posts
Re: Untitled Blair Witch Film

Twenty five years after the release of the original genre-changing classic, Lionsgate and Blumhouse announced out of CinemaCon today that they will partner on the development and production of a new The Blair Witch Project movie as the first film in a multi-picture pact with Blumhouse reimagining horror classics from the Lionsgate library.

The announcement was made today by Adam Fogelson, chair, Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, and Jason Blum, founder and CEO of Blumhouse.

Based at Universal Pictures, where it has a first look deal, Blumhouse is the gold standard in the horror space, generating blockbuster results from a string of modestly-budgeted films including the Paranormal Activity franchise, Insidious, The Purge, Sinister, Halloween, Five Nights at Freddy’s and M3GAN along with award winners Get Out and BlacKkKlansman. Blumhouse films have grossed nearly $6 billion at the worldwide box office.

Blum will team with producer Roy Lee on the new Blair Witch Project movie; Lee previously produced the 2016 film Blair Witch, the most recent installment in the franchise.

“I have been incredibly fortunate to work with Jason many times over the years. We forged a strong relationship on The Purge when I was at Universal, and we launched STX with his film The Gift. There is no one better at this genre than the team at Blumhouse,” said Fogelson. “We are thrilled to kick this partnership off with a new vision for Blair Witch that will reintroduce this horror classic for a new generation. We couldn’t be more pleased to be working with them on this and other projects we look forward to revealing soon.”

“I’m very grateful to Adam and the team at Lionsgate for letting us play in their sandbox. I’m a huge admirer of The Blair Witch Project, which brought the idea of found footage horror to mainstream audiences and became a true cultural phenomenon,” said Blum. “I don’t think there would have been a Paranormal Activity had there not first been a Blair Witch, so this feels like a truly special opportunity and I’m excited to see where it leads.”

Found footage masterpiece The Blair Witch Project changed the game back in 1999, subsequently spawning its own sprawling universe of media, including official follow-up films in 2000 and 2016 as well as multiple books and video games that have deepened the lore.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...project-movie/
Old 04-10-24, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mean it's still great news (even though it looks it's going to be pumped out if the "trilogy machine") but I hope they don't water it down.
Old 04-20-24, 10:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

‘The Blair Witch Project’ Cast Ask Lionsgate For Retroactive Residuals and ‘Meaningful Consultation’ on Future Projects
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/b...ms-1235977543/

The directors and producers of the groundbreaking 1999 horror film release a separate statement in support: 'We believe the actors deserve to be celebrated for their enduring association with the franchise'

Leonard said that the actors — who shot and improvised the independent movie over roughly a week on a shoestring budget, using their real names for their characters — each made $300,000 from a buyout of their ownership points on the film, which went on to gross $248 million worldwide. In 2002, the actors sued Artisan Entertainment for using their names and likenesses in the studio’s 2000 sequel, “Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.”

In their most recent statement, Leonard, Williams and Donahue (who now goes by Rei Hance) call on Lionsgate to provide them with retroactive and future residual payments “equivalent to the sum that would’ve been allotted through SAG-AFTRA, had we had proper union or legal representation when the film was made.”

They also ask for “meaningful consultation on any future ‘Blair Witch’ reboot, sequel, prequel, toy, game, ride, escape room, etc., in which one could reasonably assume that Heather, Michael & Josh’s names and/or likenesses will be associated for promotional purposes in the public sphere.”

The full statements from the cast and the filmmakers are below.

OUR ASKS OF LIONSGATE (From Heather, Michael & Josh, stars of “The Blair Witch Project”):

1. Retroactive + future residual payments to Heather, Michael and Josh for acting services rendered in the original BWP, equivalent to the sum that would’ve been allotted through SAG-AFTRA, had we had proper union or legal representation when the film was made.

2. Meaningful consultation on any future Blair Witch reboot, sequel, prequel, toy, game, ride, escape room, etc…, in which one could reasonably assume that Heather, Michael & Josh’s names and/or likenesses will be associated for promotional purposes in the public sphere.

Note: Our film has now been rebooted twice, both times were a disappointment from a fan/box office/critical perspective. Neither of these films were made with significant creative input from the original team. As the insiders who created the Blair Witch and have been listening to what fans love & want for 25 years, we’re your single greatest, yet thus-far un-utilized secret-weapon!

3. “The Blair Witch Grant”: A 60k grant (the budget of our original movie), paid out yearly by Lionsgate, to an unknown/aspiring genre filmmaker to assist in making theirfirst feature film. This is a GRANT, not a development fund, hence Lionsgate will not own any of the underlying rights to the project.

A PUBLIC STATEMENT FROM THE DIRECTORS & PRODUCERS OF “THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT”:

As we near the 25th anniversary of The Blair Witch Project, our pride in the storyworld we created and the film we produced is reaffirmed by the recent announcement of a reboot by horror icons Jason Blum and James Wan.

While we, the original filmmakers, respect Lionsgate’s right to monetize the intellectual property as it sees fit, we must highlight the significant contributions of the original cast — Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, and Mike Williams. As the literal faces of what has become a franchise, their likenesses, voices, and real names are inseparably tied to The Blair Witch Project. Their unique contributions not only defined the film’s authenticity but continue to resonate with audiences around the world.
Legally, there’s no basis for Lionsgate to play nice with the original actors and crew, but I can see how frustrating it is for them all to have no involvement in what they built together.

It sucks that bad deals were made, but I don’t think they’ll get anything out of this, which is why there doesn’t appear to be any talk about suing Lionsgate, rather just trying to put public pressure on them.
Old 04-21-24, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Those weren’t bad deals for a zero budget film made by new filmmakers. Nobody knew it was going to be so big. Only thing I would have required was “schmuck insurance” in the form of 1 point of the gross receipts.

Their mistake is that they didn’t use it to get more work. They could just as well be making Marvel movies right now.

Film companies come and go. They take on debt and close or file bankruptcy if something doesn’t work out. These filmmakers made an actual zero budget film and had a one in a million chance of being sold. You know how many people make a $500k movie that never makes it past film festivals?
Old 04-21-24, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The more I think about this, the less I want it to happen.

James Wan is not the right fit for a Blair witch film and should have no input. His horror movies aren't good at all and they're simply made for "couples on a date night".

We all know what Blumhouse did with the most recent Halloween trilogy (but I loved 2018) as well.

I do think the directors and actors also fear what Wan and Blumhouse will do to this franchise as well and part of that factors into their request.

Lol, my expectations are now much lower.
Old 04-21-24, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Wan has a tendency to play it safe with his horror movies and none of them have that disturbing gritty feel of some of the best horror movies but he’s still very capable. Insidious and The Conjuring are two of my favorite horror movies of the last 20 years.

Of course, Blair Witch movies may require a bit more of that amateurish, independent film, dirtiness that Wan doesn’t necessarily have. He’s got the pedigree to bring these movies back to the forefront though. Something the last couple Blair Witch movies couldn’t do.