Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sweetwater (2023, D: Guigui) S: Osborne, Elwes, Piven, Dreyfuss, Pollak

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-12-23, 09:12 AM

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Only in Theatres - April 14

Hall of Famer Nat "Sweetwater" Clifton makes history as the first African American to sign an NBA contract, forever changing how the game of basketball is played.

Briarcliff Entertainment has acquired domestic distribution rights to “Sweetwater,” a recently completed feature about Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton, the first African American to land an NBA contract. The drama is written and directed by Martín Guigui and stars newcomer Everett Osborne as Clifton. The ensemble includes veteran actors such as Kevin Pollak, Cary Elwes, Jeremy Piven, Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Ri’chard. There are also special appearances by Gary Clark Jr., Jim Caviezel and NBA champion Bobby Portis Jr.

The film follows Clifton (Osborne), who is the star attraction of the Harlem Globetrotters, led by owner/coach Abe Saperstein (Pollak). When New York Knicks executive Ned Irish (Elwes) and Knicks coach Joe Lapchick (Piven) decide it is time for the Knicks to integrate, with the support of NBA President Maurice Podoloff (Dreyfuss), they come together with the other team owners of the league to make history. Briarcliff will give the film a wide theatrical release on April 14, 2023.
Related Stories
VIP+
Netflix Sports Docuseries Not Keeping Pace With F1
‘Stephen Curry: Underrated,’ Producers on Documenting the NBA Player’s Unexpected Career and Community

“I fell in love immediately with Martín’s beautiful script telling the emotional, inspiring and lesser-known story of Nat ‘Sweetwater’ Clifton,” said Briarcliff founder Tom Ortenberg. “I am thrilled to be a part of the team bringing ‘Sweetwater’ to audiences everywhere.”

“The telling of Sweetwater Clifton’s powerful and relevant story has been a passion of mine for over 25 years, and I am grateful beyond words to the NBA, our great producing team, our gifted cast, amazing crew, and honored to be working with Tom and his team at Briarcliff,” Guigui added.

The film’s backers believe they have a social responsibility to make the picture.

Producer Dahlia Waingort Guigui of Sunset Pictures commented, “The right people at the right time came together to make this important story a reality.”

Said producer Darren Moorman, “Reserve Entertainment has a passion for making movies that encourage hope. In teaming up with the likeminded folks at Briarcliff and our amazing writer/director Martin Guigui on ‘Sweetwater,’ we were able to make a powerful film about this pivotal time in the NBA’s history that we hope will engage moviegoers and sports fans alike.”

The film received an important endorsement from the basketball player’s family

Jataun Robinson, Sweetwater Clifton’s daughter, commented, “The only regret my dad ever had was that no one knew his story…I’m so excited the movie finally got made that I can’t stop smiling.”

Osborne said, “It is an incredible honor to be a part of a film that shines the light on the untold journey of one of the greatest trailblazers in history. Higher truth exists beyond the surface, ’Sweetwater’ confronted us all and inspired us to reach a deeper level of humanity.”

The film is produced by Tim Moore, Dahlia Waingort Guigui, Darren Moorman, and Josi Konski. Executive producers are Scott Pomeroy, Mike Durden, Scott Helms, Craig Cheek, Tom Ortenberg, and Pasaca Entertainment.
Opens this week.
Old 04-15-23, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts
Re: Sweetwater (2023, D: Guigui) S: Osborne, Elwes, Piven, Dreyfuss, Pollak

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sweetwater

Currently 18%

Most of the 11 reviews are from unknown critics.

Owen Gleiberman did give it a good review. I’m a huge basketball fan, but this does look predictable and cliched.

This appears to be the first major film from this writer and director. He’s mostly a composer and music video director.
Old 04-16-23, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts

Had an open A-list slot this week, and this looked more my speed than Mafia Mamma. While Nat Clifton may deserve a good biopic, he didn't get one here; it's pretty dreadful all around. All the characters are thinly drawn. The Globetrotter might have been interesting, but even their story feels like you would have been better informed by a good documentary about them. Certainly this movie doesn't give you the feel that you can trust anything it has to say to be accurate. Since the movie is also not particularly entertaining it fails at both.
Old 04-16-23, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

In the previews the basketball scenes look awful.
Old 04-17-23, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 711 Likes on 582 Posts

The cast is supbar except Dreyfuss but he probably agrees to everything now without reading a script so that is already a bad sign the movie is not going to be really good.
Old 10-07-23, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 711 Likes on 582 Posts

It is on Hulu

It was not that bad or maybe I did not know the full story so I was educated on this historical piece.

Too bad they did not focus on what Sweetwater was like as a person and probably just a caricature of the real man portrayed in the movie.

Sad he did not earn millions like todays players do and he drove a cab after he retired.