Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fool's Paradise (2023, W/D: Charlie Day) S: Day, Jeong, Beckinsale, Brody, Sudeikis, Bateman, Falco

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fool's Paradise (2023, W/D: Charlie Day) S: Day, Jeong, Beckinsale, Brody, Sudeikis, Bateman, Falco

Old 04-11-23, 11:21 AM

Received 4,549 Likes on 3,086 Posts

A satirical comedy about a down on his luck publicist, who gets his lucky break when he discovers a man recently released from a mental health facility looks just like a method actor who refuses to leave his trailer. With the help of a powerful producer, the publicist helps the man become a huge star, even marrying his beautiful leading lady. Their adventures lead them to cross paths with drunken costars, irreverent unhoused action heroes, unpredictable directors, super agent, and power-mad moguls. Fame and fortune are not all they're cracked up to be, and the two men must fight their way back to the things that matter the most.

Written and directed by Charlie Day in his directorial debut, the “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” actor stars alongside an all-star comedy cast. Featuring one of the final screen performances of Ray Liotta, the cast includes Ken Jeong, Kate Beckinsale, Oscar® winner Adrien Brody, Jason Sudeikis, Edie Falco, Jason Bateman, Common, Jillian Bell, Dean Norris, Jimmi Simpson, and John Malkovich. The film is produced by John Rickard (“Peacemaker” Rampage), along with Tim Zajaros and Christopher Lemole (The Peanut Butter Falcon, Mudbound), Alex Saks (Red Rocket, The Florida Project), and Rick Dugdale (Zero Contact). The executive producers are Kirk Michael Fellows, Rob Gough, Manu Gargi, and Bob Shapiro.
This started shooting in 2018.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-11-23)
Old 04-11-23, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,054 Posts
Re: Fool's Paradise (2023, W/D: Charlie Day) S: Day, Jeong, Beckinsale, Brody, Sudeikis, Bateman, Falco

I like everyone involved but that looks terrible. I’m not sure who thought a “Little Tramp” knockoff would be a good idea in this day and age.

I have the feeling that Day just called in a lot of favors from his friends and that most of the big names aren’t in it for more than a few minutes each as glorified cameos.

Old 04-11-23, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: Fool's Paradise (2023, W/D: Charlie Day) S: Day, Jeong, Beckinsale, Brody, Sudeikis, Bateman, Falco

It doesn’t look great but i’m going to try and make it to the theatres to see it anyways. Charlie Days built up enough good will with me that i have faith it’ll be an enjoyable time.
Old 04-11-23, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Given Charlie Day is a big part of Always Sunny’s writing, I’m definitely going to watch this.
Old 05-10-23, 10:37 AM

Received 4,549 Likes on 3,086 Posts

This will be in theatres this weekend.
Old 05-16-23, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Saw this last night. My wife really hated it. I thought it was better than "See How they Run" (which I thought was bad) and also had Brody in it. I wanted it to be better since I love Always Sunny (show and podcast) but it was rough. I appreciate what he tried, and there were some good performances (Beckinsale, Sudeikis and Brody), but it really wasn't good. There were a few laughs.
Spoiler:
having a the main character not have any goals or desires (unless you count wanting to sleep on that park bench) makes you not care for the character, and thus, not care for the plot. If the plot was more like "Charlie Chaplin in modern day Hollywood; he wants to be a star but does not understand how the film industry works", in my opinion, it might have worked better. I'll go see Charlie Day's next movie, though.

Old 11-21-23, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 712 Likes on 583 Posts

You can now watch this on Hulu
The following users liked this post:
Toddarino (11-22-23)