Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese anime

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese anime

Old 03-24-23, 10:03 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,921
Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese anime




Based on the international anime sensation, Knights of the Zodiac brings the Saint Seiya saga to the big screen in live-action for the first time. Seiya (Mackenyu), a headstrong street teen, spends his time fighting for cash while he searches for his abducted sister. When one of his fights unwittingly taps into mystical powers he never knew he had, Seiya finds himself thrust into a world of warring saints, ancient magical training and a reincarnated goddess who needs his protection. If he’s to survive, he will need to embrace his destiny and sacrifice everything to take his rightful place among the Knights of the Zodiac.

Directed by: Tomek Baginski

Screenplay by: Josh Campbell & Matt Stuecken and Kiel Murray

Based on original stories and characters from The Manga “Saint Seiya” by: Masami Kurumada

Cast: Mackenyu Famke Janssen Madison Iseman Diego Tinoco Mark Dacascos Nick Stahl and Sean Bean



This comes out in theaters May 12th.
Old 03-25-23, 04:30 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,627
Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Sean Bean and Famke Janssen? What is this, a 1990s James Bond movie?!
The following users liked this post:
Superman07 (03-27-23)
Old 03-25-23, 07:49 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,333
Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Saw the trailer for this a while back. It looks like a fan film that lucked out in getting Famke Janssen and Sean Bean. Didn't know they roped Mark Dacascos in this too.
Old 03-25-23, 09:27 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,798
Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

I can't watch Famke Janssen anymore. A beautiful woman who ruined her face.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
csant (03-25-23), Why So Blu? (03-25-23)
Old 03-26-23, 06:56 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,686
Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

I could see watching this down the road, on disc or streaming, but it doesn't look exceptional. I don't know much about the original anime, other than having heard of it and seeing pictures through the years. Nice to see an Asian-American in the lead although from what I've read the characters in the anime aren't specifically Asian. He's Sonny Chiba's son, and also had a role in two live action FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST adaptations recently. The borderline DTV cast does raise an eyebrow. Looks like the director only has short films under his belt, so I guess his producer status from THE WITCHER allowed him to make this? The CGI looks no better or worse than everything else nowadays; I've grown accustomed to that by now.
Old 03-26-23, 07:23 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,627
Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

It was called "Saint Seiya" in Japan and then when it aired on American TV, it was called "Knights of the Zodiac" and they used that for the DVD release also. I saw the original series (I forget the date) and the movie spin-offs and I remember a connection with Greek Gods, but not with the Zodiac, so I think the retitling was a poor choice.
Old 03-27-23, 09:22 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,174
Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It was called "Saint Seiya" in Japan and then when it aired on American TV, it was called "Knights of the Zodiac" and they used that for the DVD release also. I saw the original series (I forget the date) and the movie spin-offs and I remember a connection with Greek Gods, but not with the Zodiac, so I think the retitling was a poor choice.
All the knights/saints are tied to zodiac signs/constellations. The main heroes are "bronze saints" who are named after Greek constellations like Pegasus, Cygnus/swan, Dragon, Andromeda and Phoenix (basically the original 48 constellations Ptolemy named). There are silver saints as well but for that first arc the top of the chain and the big bads are the gold saints, based off of... the constellations of the Zodiac.

In other countries they changed the name of the position the characters hold from "Saint" to "Knight" (or Chevalier or Caballero) for probably obvious reasons, which is probably what prompted the name change. It was also hugely popular in Mexico and France under that name. As ultra violent as it was it wasn't adapted to the US until the 90's anime boom and by that time it was probably too dated to really make an impact.

Having said that, and obviously being a fan of the series, I don't hold high hopes for this based on what we've seen so far, but we'll see.
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
Ash Ketchum (03-28-23), IBJoel (03-27-23), RocShemp (03-27-23)
Old 03-27-23, 02:48 PM
  #8  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,015
Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Originally Posted by fujishig
All the knights/saints are tied to zodiac signs/constellations. The main heroes are "bronze saints" who are named after Greek constellations like Pegasus, Cygnus/swan, Dragon, Andromeda and Phoenix (basically the original 48 constellations Ptolemy named). There are silver saints as well but for that first arc the top of the chain and the big bads are the gold saints, based off of... the constellations of the Zodiac.

In other countries they changed the name of the position the characters hold from "Saint" to "Knight" (or Chevalier or Caballero) for probably obvious reasons, which is probably what prompted the name change. It was also hugely popular in Mexico and France under that name. As ultra violent as it was it wasn't adapted to the US until the 90's anime boom and by that time it was probably too dated to really make an impact.

Having said that, and obviously being a fan of the series, I don't hold high hopes for this based on what we've seen so far, but we'll see.
I had a Colombian coworker years ago and he would tell me that Saint Seiya was practically as big as Dragon Ball Z (which was also huge, obviously) in LATAM.
Old 05-10-23, 10:35 AM
  #9  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,022
Likes: 0
Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Looks like this is surprisingly getting a decent wide release this weekend.
Old 05-10-23, 10:45 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,174
Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Originally Posted by Brian T
I could see watching this down the road, on disc or streaming, but it doesn't look exceptional. I don't know much about the original anime, other than having heard of it and seeing pictures through the years. Nice to see an Asian-American in the lead although from what I've read the characters in the anime aren't specifically Asian. He's Sonny Chiba's son, and also had a role in two live action FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST adaptations recently. The borderline DTV cast does raise an eyebrow. Looks like the director only has short films under his belt, so I guess his producer status from THE WITCHER allowed him to make this? The CGI looks no better or worse than everything else nowadays; I've grown accustomed to that by now.
Mackenyu is also going to be Zoro in Netflix's live action One Piece so he's basically been in Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist and now One Piece (and actually looking at his resume he's been in Chihayafuru, Peach Girl, a Jojo movie, Tokyo Ghoul and Kaiji, and a Kamen Rider Drive movie).

Hopefully this and One Piece don't kill his career. (I do really want both to be good but the chances that they are...)
Old 05-10-23, 01:11 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
~~ PAL ~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 6,260
Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Originally Posted by fujishig
All the knights/saints are tied to zodiac signs/constellations. The main heroes are "bronze saints" who are named after Greek constellations like Pegasus, Cygnus/swan, Dragon, Andromeda and Phoenix (basically the original 48 constellations Ptolemy named). There are silver saints as well but for that first arc the top of the chain and the big bads are the gold saints, based off of... the constellations of the Zodiac.

In other countries they changed the name of the position the characters hold from "Saint" to "Knight" (or Chevalier or Caballero) for probably obvious reasons, which is probably what prompted the name change. It was also hugely popular in Mexico and France under that name. As ultra violent as it was it wasn't adapted to the US until the 90's anime boom and by that time it was probably too dated to really make an impact.

Having said that, and obviously being a fan of the series, I don't hold high hopes for this based on what we've seen so far, but we'll see.
The original Japanese title : 聖闘士星矢, is a bit more complicated in actual description. The main character's name is just directly translated so no confusions there. The actual meaning of the first three kanji characters would be something like "holy warrior", "saintly gladiator", or "saint fighter", depend on which combination of words you feel are more appropriate. But to make it short and catchy they just called it "Saint Seiya".
Old 05-10-23, 01:17 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,174
Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
The original Japanese title : 聖闘士星矢, is a bit more complicated in actual description. The main character's name is just directly translated so no confusions there. The actual meaning of the first three kanji characters would be something like "holy warrior", "saintly gladiator", or "saint fighter", depend on which combination of words you feel are more appropriate. But to make it short and catchy they just called it "Saint Seiya".
Isn't it said like "seinto" though? Or did it become so attached to Seiya that it changed over time or something? Either way there's a basis with the pope character in the Catholic Church and I'm sure they wanted to avoid those connotations considering the series is about Greek (and sometimes Norse) gods.
Old 05-11-23, 04:12 PM
  #13  
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator
 
WTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,777
Likes: 0
Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Sony Pictures reportedly is cancelling screenings due to underperforming presales. If you have tickets, it's probably a good idea to call your theater before going.

Old 05-11-23, 04:23 PM
  #14  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,022
Likes: 0
Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Yup. Most of my local theatres that had listings for it have dropped it. I was surprised to see it getting a bigger release... so not a huge shock.
Old 05-11-23, 04:24 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,174
Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Wait, it's basically so bad they pulled it from theaters last minute? Like they'd rather show a weeks old movie that was scheduled to come out of theaters than show this or something, or do they just show nothing?
Old 05-11-23, 06:18 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,921
Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, it's basically so bad they pulled it from theaters last minute? Like they'd rather show a weeks old movie that was scheduled to come out of theaters than show this or something, or do they just show nothing?
It’s still playing, but they pulled a lot screens.

When I went to Wondercon a few months ago, this was heavily promoted there by Sony. I’m a little surprised they’ve basically written this off as a bomb before it even plays.
Old 05-12-23, 10:01 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38,205
Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Not surprised. This has ZERO big name stars. No way something like this would open big with just a cast of familiar character actors. Also, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is in theaters. This has/had streaming written all over it.
Old 05-12-23, 10:19 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,174
Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Originally Posted by DJariya
It’s still playing, but they pulled a lot screens.

When I went to Wondercon a few months ago, this was heavily promoted there by Sony. I’m a little surprised they’ve basically written this off as a bomb before it even plays.
I guess I'm just surprised they pulled screens, what is shown in it's place? Is Sony paying for those screens or are they just trying not to be completely embarrassed? This is probably a common occurrence but just seems so last minute.
Old 05-12-23, 10:29 AM
  #19  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,022
Likes: 0
Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

It's changed to a limited release. The distributor doesn't pay for screens. The theatres will just adjust their screening times of other movies...add another showing, etc.
Old 05-15-23, 11:33 PM
  #20  
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator
 
WTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 21,777
Likes: 0
Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts
Re: Knights of the Zodiac (2023, D: Baginski) -- S: Sean Bean, Famke Janssen -- Based on the Japanese ani

Recent interview with co-producer, Miguel Ángel Faura



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.