Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Police Story 2 - S: Jackie Chan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-23, 09:42 AM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Jackie Chan Takes Center Stage for Launch of ‘New Police Story 2’
Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan to produce and star in actioner being directed by Nicolas Tse

Jackie Chan made a rare public appearance in Hong Kong on Tuesday, taking center stage and amping up the star wattage at the Filmart market when he joined local heartthrob Nicolas Tse in front of a hall packed by hundreds as the pair helped local giant Emperor Motion Pictures (EMP) launch its 2023 slate.

EMP used the platform, and the presence of so many people gathered, to officially launch Chan’s latest production, New Police Story 2, in which he takes a leading role, while also producing. The film, which promises to pretty much deliver what’s on its label, also marks the directorial debut of Tse, the genre-jumping popstar-turned-filmmaker who emerged with a string of hits across both mediums in the early 2000s.

EMP was behind Chan’s New Police Story, which also helped Tse to stardom when it was released in 2004 and itself was a reboot of the Police Story franchise he made under the Golden Harvest banner back in the 1980s.

Chan said he couldn’t resist revisiting a franchise that helped turn the martial arts hero into a global box office phenomenon. The 68-year-old has often claimed the original film contained the best action scenes he has ever shot across his long and storied career.

“I put a lot and a lot of effort in this movie [Police Story] back then, and it was a series loved by global fans,” said Chan. “But most importantly, Nicolas Tse is the director this time, this attracted me to the project.”

Interestingly, Chan, who has had an often-fractious relationship with local, predominantly Cantonese, audiences in recent times, chose to deliver his statement in Mandarin.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ch-1235352020/

Let's see if this actually happens, unlike "Police Story 2022".
Old 03-14-23, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Re: New Police Story 2 - S: Jackie Chan

I got the Criterion double feature of the first two and enjoyed the first one (haven't watched the second). Is there a bunch in this series?
Old 03-14-23, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I got the Criterion double feature of the first two and enjoyed the first one (haven't watched the second). Is there a bunch in this series?
Police Story 1, 2, 3 (Supercop), 4 (First Strike) are of one continuity. There is a spinoff from Police Story 3, Project S (Supercop 2 in the US).

Then there is New Police Story (2004) and Police Story: Lockdown (2013) which are not connected.

This will be a sequel to the 2004 film it seems.
Old 03-14-23, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Thanks, seems overly convoluted, but I may try to hunt some down.
Old 03-14-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,106 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Thanks, seems overly convoluted, but I may try to hunt some down.
It's not that convoluted. In the 80's and 90's there were 4 original movies and a spinoff featuring Michelle Yeoh's character from Police Story 3. Police Story 2 is a direct sequel Police Story 1. The rest are all more or less standalone. Like Bond movies.

Then in the last 20 years there were 2 movies that borrowed the Police Story name but have nothing to do with the original franchise or each other. It sounds like the new one might have a connection to one of those, but I'll believe it when I see it.

​​​​​​The first 3 movies are the only ones that most consider classics.
Old 03-14-23, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Received 1,128 Likes on 653 Posts

Supercop is good, First Strike is pretty alright. The New Police Story series does away with most of the comedy, from what I've heard.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (03-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 732 Likes on 537 Posts

The last paragraph of that THR article dex14 posted should tell you everything you need to know about this pooped-out clown. You cannot separate this dude from his politics, because he certainly won't.

This is a brazenly transparent effort by Chan to force himself back onto Hong Kong audiences who rightly turned on him years ago when he literally became a puppet of the CCP (I'm not making that up; others here will surely yawn if they even recall my old posts detailing that). I'm guessing he figures they'll be more compliant now that their industry – and their city – is so heavily under the thumb of his authoritarian masters. And what a fuckin' huckster: he was "attracted" to the project because Tse was directing it? Ha! Check out that guy's directorial filmography to get an idea of who'll really be pulling the strings behind the camera. But, since Tse also memorably caved into pressure from the CCP, I suppose Chan's perfectly within his rights to help out a fellow comrade.

Meanwhile, Jackie's former co-star Michelle Yeoh – only eight years his junior – has become the most bankable, diversified, perhaps even trailblazing Asian actress in the west, even before her much-deserved Oscar win. She even has a US TV series already in the can with (gasp!) Taiwanese aspects to the characters. Thankfully she has been able to limit her involvement with Mainland productions, with only one of recent vintage – yet another NEZHA adaptation – that's been shelved for several years now (perhaps a lowly grip said something untoward online about Emperor Xi?).

I'm sure I'll see this re-tread eventually, but only when I can get it from the library or otherwise not have to pay for the "privilege."

Here endeth the rant.

Wait, one more thing: for those who might be tempted, POLICE STORY: LOCKDOWN -- the official Mainland entry under the banner -- is a dull piece of work. I'm not surprised that he'd make a sequel to the 2004 HK-China co-production instead.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-15-23 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-15-23)
Old 05-11-23, 01:56 PM

Nicholas Tse (Raging Fire), Jackie Chan (Vanguard), Charlene Choi (Detective vs. Sleuths) and Daniel Wu (Caught in Time) are re-teaming for New Police Story 2, which is currently in-development from Emperor Motion Pictures.

The upcoming actioner is a direct sequel to to Benny Chan’s 2004 film, New Police Story. In addition to starring, New Police Story 2 will also mark the directorial debut of Nicholas Tse, who is getting a helping hand from writer, Ronald Chan Kin-Hung (Enter the Fat Dragon), to pen the script.

Here’s what we can expect from New Police Story 2: Following the murder of the Commissioner of Police, Inspector Cheng Siu-Fung (Nicholas Tse) and Chief Superintendent Chan Kwok-Wing (Jackie Chan) face Joe Kwan (Daniel Wu) again, the main antagonist from the first movie who was arrested twenty years ago. Joe Kwan subsequently seeks revenge after being released from prison and uses the media in his favour to humiliate the police force, which in turn, damaged the reputation of these once-esteemed police officers. Will the two police officers manage to overcome the crisis? (via ScreenHK).

Police Story remains arguably the most popular series of films that Jackie has ever done, with the 1985 original solidifying Jackie’s status as an international action icon. Jackie would return to the series intermittently over the years – with Police Story 2, Police Story 3: Supercop, Police Story 4: First Strike – adding bigger and more dangerous stunts with most additional entry. There were also two by-title-only sequels from the series, as seen in New Police Story and Police Story 2013: Lockdown.

It was previously reported that Jackie would be teaming up with his Bleeding Steel director, Leo Zhang (Chrysanthemum to the Beast), to make Police Story 2022, but for reasons unknown, the project never materialized.
https://cityonfire.com/daniel-wu-ret...g-jackie-chan/