Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ritual Killer (2023, D: Gallo) -- S: Morgan Freeman, Cole Hauser

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Ritual Killer follows Detective Boyd (Hauser), who, unable to process the death of his daughter, embarks on the hunt for a serial killer who murders according to a brutal tribal ritual: Muti. The only person who can help Boyd is Professor Mackles (Freeman), an anthropologist who hides an unspeakable secret. The line between sanity and madness thins as Boyd goes deeper into the killer’s world.

The director of this movie wrote the original Bad Boys 1995 and Midnight Run. But, recently it looks like he's been working mostly on small low budget Indie movies.
Old 04-15-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The Ritual Killer (2023, D: Gallo) -- S: Morgan Freeman, Cole Hauser

So this is currently out at Red Box. Rented it with a free rental code.

Let me just say that it starts out decent and for 60% of the movie it's a pretty compelling serial killer/detective thriller. So I was wondering why the reviews for this were so horrible. Freeman got top billing, but he's only a minor supporting character and is only in it maybe 20-25 minutes tops. He doesn't appear until 30 minutes into the movie. Cole Hauser is the star of this movie. Former NFL Tight End Vernon Davis is the main bad guy.

Then it just goes completely off the rails and the last 30 minutes makes no damn sense. And there's a twist that makes no sense because of a bad edit. And the ending was a huge WTF? There are 6 credited writers for this. They always say that any movie with more than 2 writers usually has script problems. Definitely low budget too. IMDB says the budget was around $7M, but somehow they shot part of it in Rome and the rest in Mississippi.

They just didn't know how to finish this movie where it made any kind of sense. Gets a D from me.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-15-23 at 04:26 PM.