Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Idle Hands (1999)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle Hands (1999)

I just watched this for the first time since it came out. Wikipedia lists Robert Englund as the voice of the hand and multiple other websites reference this, but the hand never talked. I also found the wiki quotes page with a list of quotes attributed to the hand. Am I missing something or is this some dumb prank someone pulled?

As for the movie, it wasn’t terrible. I like most of the actors and it had a few laughs. I decided to watch it because Devon Sawa and Sean Whalen will be at a convention I’m going to soon. And the movie has a really good poster.

Old 02-04-23, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts
Re: Idle Hands (1999)

I always liked that movie. It's as if someone saw the possessed hand scene from Evil Dead II and decided to make a movie around it. On a side note, the sequence in Final Destination when Devon Sawa is going stir crazy in a cabin in the woods also felt like a homage to Evil Dead II.

All that aside, I don't remember any lines from the hand. But didn't it make "vocalizations" as it moved around? Or was that only in Evil Dead II?

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-05-23 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-04-23, 09:09 PM

I couldn’t hear any vocalizations and Robert Englund isn’t listed in the movie credits or on IMDb. All of the quotes I saw on wiki quotes sound like they were lifted from A Nightmare on Elm Street. So weird. Robert Englund will be at the con I’m going to also so I may ask him about it.
Old 02-05-23, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
I couldn’t hear any vocalizations and Robert Englund isn’t listed in the movie credits or on IMDb. All of the quotes I saw on wiki quotes sound like they were lifted from A Nightmare on Elm Street. So weird. Robert Englund will be at the con I’m going to also so I may ask him about it.
Wikipedia claims the following:

In a post-credit scene, the voice of The Hand vows that he will be back telling Anton that "we all go a little crazy sometimes. Just don't look under the bed."
I don't remember there being a post-credits scene. But the movie is almost 24 years old...

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-05-23 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-05-23, 05:50 AM

Unless I somehow missed it, there wasn’t a post credits scene.
Old 02-05-23, 07:24 AM

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Idle_Hands

Here’s the link to the wikiquotes page. I checked out a few scenes on my phone and I did hear it say “shit” at the end, but that was it. It’s mixed kind of low too.

Last edited by Lone Wolf; 02-05-23 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-05-23, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

I haven’t seen this movie since it originally came out on video. I remember almost nothing about it except it where I saw Jessica Alba for the first time. THAT I remember.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Lone Wolf (02-05-23), RocShemp (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I haven’t seen this movie since it originally came out on video. I remember almost nothing about it except it where I saw Jessica Alba for the first time. THAT I remember.
Instant crush.

​​​​
​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
GoldenJCJ (02-05-23), Lone Wolf (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Instant crush.

​​​​
​​​​​​
Yup.. I remember a panel where Seth and Jessica were with the film's director and they had not seen the trailer for it yet and they both came out into the audience to watch it. She sat in front of me.

This was also an expanded story that was originally supposed to be part of a horror anthology.
Old 02-05-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 860 Likes on 631 Posts

I always thought Katie Wright was cute in the devil outfit too. It looks like her last acting role was in 2001 and she's married to Hank Azaria now.

Old 02-19-23, 03:06 PM

I spent the weekend at Mad Monster 2023. I was able to ask Robert Englund about it and he couldn’t remember. He said he’s done so much voiceover work that he gets residuals for stuff he doesn’t remember, so it’s possible he did it. Although if you’ve ever been to one of his panels, or heard him talk, he can recall a tremendous amount of information about his and other peoples movies.

Then I asked Devon Sawa about it. He said the hand doesn’t talk. I told him you can hear a low voice when it dies, but I don’t know about other scenes. He said he doesn’t know who the voice is then. Probably not Robert Englund. I’m still curious how this got started.
Old 02-19-23, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it weird that I find myself invested in Lone Wolf's investigation into this Robert Englund "connection"? Like I seriously hope there are more updates (and an eventual Netflix series/movie).
The following users liked this post:
Lone Wolf (02-20-23)
Old 02-20-23, 08:18 AM

That’s pretty much the extent of what I can do to find out. When I go to a convention I try and watch as many of the movies of the guests as I can. When I decided to watch this one, I did some reading, and saw Robert Englund mentioned, which intrigued me, since that would make three people from the con also in the movie. Maybe it’s mentioned in the commentary. I may try to pick up a Blu-ray copy and watch sometime soon. The director may be able to answer if he makes appearances. Anyway, here is my signed, original one sheet I picked up for the con. If I had concrete evidence I would have had Robert Englund sign it also.

Old 02-20-23, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is it weird that I find myself invested in Lone Wolf's investigation into this Robert Englund "connection"? Like I seriously hope there are more updates (and an eventual Netflix series/movie).
Let's make a miniseries out of it. Lone Wolf: The Idle Hands Chronicles
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
Lone Wolf (02-22-23), RocShemp (02-20-23)