Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Swamp Thing (D: Mangold)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 11:13 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

“Swamp Thing”

Easily the most extreme example of Gunn and Safran’s conviction to diversify the DCU, “Swamp Thing” will “investigate the dark origins of Swamp Thing,” Safran said, through the prism of horror.

By way of explaining further, Gunn referenced the initial reactions to the Guardians of the Galaxy joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe and initial questions about how Rocket Raccoon would work standing next to Thor. “That mashup quality” wound up being one of the highlights of “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame,” Gunn argued.

Gunn said they’re “one-upping” that approach with “Swamp Thing.”

“This is a much more horrific film, but we’ll still have Swamp Thing interact with the other characters,” he added.
Old 01-31-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts
re: Swamp Thing (D: Mangold)

Did anyone here watch the long cancelled TV series that was on DC Universe and later aired on The CW. I heard it was good, but once it was canceled after one episode, it deflated my interest in it. Not sure there is a real interest in a theatrical movie.
Old 01-31-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Did anyone here watch the long cancelled TV series that was on DC Universe and later aired on The CW. I heard it was good, but once it was canceled after one episode, it deflated my interest in it. Not sure there is a real interest in a theatrical movie.
This is the kind of movie that can be made cheap, though. I bet this is basically a lower budget horror movie like the stuff Blum house churns out.
Old 01-31-23, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

As long as it's not an answer to seeing Man-thing in Werewolf by Night... anything is better than the two former films with Adrienne Barbeau and Heather Locklear....
Old 01-31-23, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

That show started good but ever so gradually turned boring and shitty. Real shame because it had a solid foundation.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (02-02-23)
Old 01-31-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts

It was good. It was just getting started when it was cut down though. I do think folks would prefer that series be allowed to continue instead of a new film.
Old 02-01-23, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk God

A tease maybe?

Old 02-01-23, 12:17 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Mangold is in discussions with the Warner Bros. arm to take on the feature adaptation of Swamp Thing, the supernatural horror-based hero who is a focal point in the first chapter of DC Studios’ slate.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ie-1235315500/
Old 02-01-23, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Damn, I always love seeing some old Berni Wrightson Swampy artwork.
Old 02-01-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

If Mangold does get hired, they would be a great start. I know he's busy with a Bob Dylan bio right now, so don't expect to see this anytime soon.
Old 02-01-23, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 650 Likes on 395 Posts

Swamp Thing sound interesting but I have zero intentions of ever watching any future Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman films and I am sure this would tie into them. Same reason I never got into comic books.
Old 02-01-23, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

Indeed. And the canceled series was produced by James Wan. The only way I'd care about future Swamp Thing films/series is if Gunn and Co. brought in Alan Moore and gave him carte blanche on the script. I doubt that will ever happen, though.
devilshalo (02-02-23)
Old 02-01-23, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any chance the could rope in Guillermo Del Toro? I believe Swamp Thing is his favorite DC character.
Old 02-01-23, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 650 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Indeed. And the canceled series was produced by James Wan. The only way I'd care about future Swamp Thing films/series is if Gunn and Co. brought in Alan Moore and gave him carte blanche on the script. I doubt that will ever happen, though.
de·lu·sion·al
/dəˈlo͞oZH(ə)nəl/
adjective
  1. characterized by or holding false beliefs or judgments about external reality that are held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, typically as a symptom of a mental condition.
    "hospitalization for schizophrenia and delusional paranoia"
    • based on or having faulty judgment; mistaken.
      "their delusional belief in the project's merits never wavers"
Why So Blu? (02-02-23)
Old 02-01-23, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
de·lu·sion·al
/dəˈlo͞oZH(ə)nəl/
adjective
  1. characterized by or holding false beliefs or judgments about external reality that are held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, typically as a symptom of a mental condition.
    "hospitalization for schizophrenia and delusional paranoia"
    • based on or having faulty judgment; mistaken.
      "their delusional belief in the project's merits never wavers"
Is he really? I know Moore hates adaptations of his work because he feels a comic book should be a co.if book. However, he has written novels and screenplays. Has anyone ever approached him to write an original screenplay about a comic book character, that is not an adaptation of his previous work?
Old 02-01-23, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Alan Moore would set himself on fire before working with DC again. You might as well expect Jesus to write the script.
Old 02-02-23, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Alan Moore would set himself on fire before working with DC again. You might as well expect Jesus to write the script.
I forgot all about his feud with DC. However, this part is perplexing:

The point of no return would come, though, thanks to a cascading series of misadventures seeing his work adapted to film. Moore was not creatively involved with 2001's From Hell, based (loosely) on his and Eddie Campbell's Jack the Ripper story, but remained generally ambivalent about the movie. 2003's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, though, caused Moore problems beyond the Sean Connery vehicle's being an inexcusably poor representation of his book with Kevin O'Neil; a lawsuit against Warner Bros. compelled Moore to testify for ten hours that he didn't create the graphic novel as a way for the studio to plagiarize the litigating writers. From then, he asked his name be removed from film versions of his work, including V for Vendetta and Watchmen, and his film royalties instead allocated to the artists who co-created the comics.​​​​​​
Wasn't it 20th Century Fox that was sued over The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
Old 02-02-23, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I forgot all about his feud with DC. However, this part is perplexing:

Wasn't it 20th Century Fox that was sued over The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
his big issue was Fox settled the suit, which he took as throwing him under the bus and admitting that the League of Extraordinary Gentleman comic was essentially created to cover for for the theft of the Cast of Characters script.
Old 02-02-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Is he really? I know Moore hates adaptations of his work because he feels a comic book should be a co.if book. However, he has written novels and screenplays. Has anyone ever approached him to write an original screenplay about a comic book character, that is not an adaptation of his previous work?

No, he's saying I'm delusional.

I know it will never happen, but had to spitball that.
Old 02-02-23, 03:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Alan Moore’s run was stellar, but Swamp Thing has had perhaps the greatest high quality story hit to miss ratio in comic book history. Plenty of good stories to crib from, if they go that route.
Dr. DVD (02-02-23)
Old 02-02-23, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No, he's saying I'm delusional.

I know it will never happen, but had to spitball that.
I know he meant you. I simply forgot about the feud and assumed the only obstacle would be Moore's distaste for adaptation.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
his big issue was Fox settled the suit, which he took as throwing him under the bus and admitting that the League of Extraordinary Gentleman comic was essentially created to cover for for the theft of the Cast of Characters script.
I remember that, but the article I linked to claims it was due to "a lawsuit against Warner Bros." when the suit was against Fox.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Alan Moore’s run was stellar, but Swamp Thing has had perhaps the greatest high quality story hit to miss ratio in comic book history. Plenty of good stories to crib from, if they go that route.
​​​​​​​The best parts of the last TV series were heavily borrowed from Moore.
Old 02-02-23, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is whoever wrote the article just made a mistake and typed Warner Bros. when they meant Fox.
Old 02-02-23, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts

I hope the approach they take is to do the origin like that of the comic, and then have the twist be what Moore implemented to reinvigorate that character for his run.
Old 02-02-23, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I hope the approach they take is to do the origin like that of the comic, and then have the twist be what Moore implemented to reinvigorate that character for his run.
That was the approach of the DC Universe series. Elements like that (as well as the cast) are what kept me watching, despite it's gradual decline into essentially an R-rated CW show.

If the movie manages to take the best of the show and ditch what didn't work, they could have a solid hit on their hands. I hope if Man gold does indeed helm this, he gives it the kind of nuanced care he gave Logan.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
DJariya (02-02-23), Dr. DVD (02-06-23)
Old 02-05-23, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 908 Likes on 763 Posts

The show had promise in the early going but I wouldn't call it a complete success. I actually think Swamp Thing is one of the tougher DC properties to adapt to the screen and I have no idea why Hollywood seems fascinated by it.

I suspect all of the development work done for Justice League Dark will creep into elements of Gunn's DC plans. It's much easier getting executives to greenlight something they've already worked on in some capacity.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.