Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boogeyman (2023, D: Savage) -- based on the Stephen King short story

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-29-23, 03:48 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

From the mind of Stephen King, see #TheBoogeyman only in theaters June 2. 🫣

20th Century Studios and 21 Laps present “The Boogeyman,” a horror-thriller from the mind of best-selling author Stephen King, which opens June 2, 2023, in theaters nationwide. High school student Sadie Harper and her younger sister Sawyer are reeling from the recent death of their mother and aren’t getting much support from their father, Will, a therapist who is dealing with his own pain. When a desperate patient unexpectedly shows up at their home seeking help, he leaves behind a terrifying supernatural entity that preys on families and feeds on the suffering of its victims.

“The Boogeyman,” directed by Rob Savage (“Host”) with a screenplay by Scott Beck & Bryan Woods (“A Quiet Place”) and Mark Heyman (“Black Swan”), based upon the short story by Stephen King, stars Sophie Thatcher (“Yellowjackets”), Chris Messina (“Birds of Prey”), Vivian Lyra Blair (“Obi-Wan Kenobi”), Marin Ireland (“The Umbrella Academy”), Madison Hu (“Bizaardvark”), LisaGay Hamilton (“Vice”), and David Dastmalchian (“Dune”). The producers are Shawn Levy (“Stranger Things”), Dan Levine (“Arrival”), and Dan Cohen (“The Adam Project”), with Emily Morris (“Rosaline”), John H. Starke (“Sicario”), Scott Beck, Bryan Woods, Adam Kolbrenner (“The Tomorrow War”), Ryan Cunningham, and Robin Meisinger serving as executive producers.

“The Boogeyman” opens in theaters nationwide June 2, 2023.
This was originally going to premiere on Hulu, but it has tested well, and after the success of Smile, moved to a theatrical release.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Kurt D (01-29-23), Throwing Copper (01-29-23)
Old 01-29-23, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 480 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: The Boogeyman (2023, D: Savage) -- based on the Stephen King short story

That doesn't sound anything like the 10 page story it is based on:
Spoiler:
A guy goes to a psychiatrist because all three of his children died in their cribs, he suspects because of a boogey man living in the closet. After he explains all of this, the psychiatrist rips off a human mask, revealing THEY are the boogey man!
. I only think this is worth noting because King made such a big deal about suing New Line to take the "based on a story by.." credit off The Lawnmower Man , framing it as being about integrity. Sure.
Old 01-30-23, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Spoiler:
A guy goes to a psychiatrist because all three of his children died in their cribs, he suspects because of a boogey man living in the closet. After he explains all of this, the psychiatrist rips off a human mask, revealing THEY are the boogey man!

. I only think this is worth noting because King made such a big deal about suing New Line to take the "based on a story by.." credit off The Lawnmower Man , framing it as being about integrity. Sure.
King isn't fit to judge what happens to his work in the realm of cinema or TV, and I absolutely love him as an author. The adaptations he likes often suck, some of the best ones he hates. Everyone has blind spots, and his blind spots are truckloads of money.
The following users liked this post:
EdTheRipper (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Spoiler:

Read that story when I was a kid.

Read it later as an adult, and the impression I got the second time was that
Spoiler:
the guy at the psychiatrist was delusional or had some kind of dissociative disorder and was killing his own kids and blaming a non-existant boogeyman. And at the end of the story, the reveal was his own madness catching up with him.

I only think this is worth noting because King made such a big deal about suing New Line to take the "based on a story by.." credit off The Lawnmower Man , framing it as being about integrity. Sure.
In that case, the movie had absolutely nothing to do with King's short story; it was like they took a preexisting script and stuck a lawnmower in it so they could use the title to a Stephen King story the studio/producers had bought the rights to.

At least this one looks to be about a boogeyman terrorizing children.
Old 01-30-23, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Does King’s name finally have some clout in Hollywood? The poster, title, and trailer all look like your typical generic horror movie. Throwing King’s name on it seems to be trying to give it some chachet.

Or maybe it’s just some kind of contractual thing…
Old 04-17-23, 11:56 AM

Old 05-31-23, 11:23 AM

Out this week. Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_boogeyman
Old 06-01-23, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

That audience score. Ooof.
Old 06-05-23, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 480 Likes on 316 Posts

Saw it this afternoon, and sadly there was nothing in it I responded to positively.

I can't remember a worse looking creature (both the design and the animation) in a movie.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a scaredy-cat, and have been freaked out by closets, yet the movie didn't conjure any of those feelings of dread associated with irrationally distrusting a door in your house. There's no suggestion of different dimensions or cosmic horror, just a generic haunted/cursed house movie.

There's one little moment that sticks out as part of a deleted story beat. The main girl's background is that her mother recently died in a car accident. Halfway through the movie there is a scene where she's hanging out with her friends who want alcohol, and she says, "My dad isn't much of a drinker," to which the mean girl replies, "That you know of," and all the other girls immediately shush her in a way that feels like, "Don't tell her what she doesn't know!" Was the father eventually going to admit the reason he was so closed off about grieving the mother's death the whole movie was because he feels guilty because he was drunk the night of the accident? Or maybe it was something better, like an American Beauty scenario where he was secretly screwing the mean girl. That would have been fun.
Old 06-05-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That audience score. Ooof.
Dunno what it was but with 500+ reviews it's now 66%
Old 06-06-23, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Dunno what it was but with 500+ reviews it's now 66%
It was a bit lower, but when Tom posted there were zero verified audience ratings. Audience score could've been made to look worse by folks who hadn't even seen it yet.
Old 06-06-23, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I saw a discount matinee for this today. Probably about 10 people were in the theater including me.

Anyway, I’ll keep my thoughts short. The 3/4 of this is excruciatingly boring and dull. The last act with the confrontation with the creature is as predictable and by the numbers as can be. The creature design sucks too.

Skip this. See Antlers instead if you haven’t already done so.
Old 10-05-23, 03:39 PM

This is now up on Hulu.
Old 10-05-23, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Skip this. See Antlers instead if you haven’t already done so.
Ouch. I almost fell asleep through Antlers.