Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest disappointments the last 10+ years (2010-present)?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Biggest disappointments the last 10+ years (2010-present)?

Old 09-15-22, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Received 697 Likes on 421 Posts
Re: Biggest disappointments the last 10+ years (2010-present)?

For me, Batman V Superman was soul-crushingly bad. Justice League (both versions) was probably equally as awful, but since I already had the wind knocked out of me, what's another haymaker?

I'd also say The Rise of Skywalker, but actually the broader trend (not limited to Disney) of Legacy Sequels and IP mining/nostalgia-baiting to an absolutely ridiculous degree.

As far as original films go, Only God Forgives was a super bizarre follow-up to Drive, one of my favorite films. I think it's just way too abstract to really love.

Last edited by IBJoel; 09-15-22 at 07:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (09-16-22)
Old 09-15-22, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

(Literally too soon, right? )
Kurt D (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 06:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 610 Likes on 524 Posts

Why all the hate for the new trilogy and especially Last Jedi? I thought they were fun and had great moments. Of course, it’s not the OT, but it was 100x better than the prequels. They were more popcorn fun than anything else. I still enjoy all three. And a little better with them all in 3D.
Old 09-15-22, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,811 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Oh I think there's a thread of two around here complaining about The Last Jedi if you look hard enough...
For the record, I quite liked many things about it, while bothered by others.

Now that last film, The Rise of Skywalker? That was shite.
Bob_Bobbson (09-16-22)
Old 09-15-22, 06:48 PM

I know everyone talks about the hate and there are many threads, but I just don’t get it all. It’s downright venomous.
Old 09-15-22, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Received 697 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Why all the hate for the new trilogy and especially Last Jedi? I thought they were fun and had great moments. Of course, itís not the OT, but it was 100x better than the prequels. They were more popcorn fun than anything else. I still enjoy all three. And a little better with them all in 3D.
I think Force Awakens is solid, I love Last Jedi (easily my second favorite in the series, after Empire), and TROS can just... [CENSORED]
Old 09-15-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 353 Posts

I know everyone talks about the hate and there are many threads, but I just don’t get it all. It’s downright venomous.
I think it's the squandered potential more than anything else.

Fans had been waiting 32 years to see Luke, Han, and Leia reunited onscreen... and Disney shitcanned that by killing off Han in Act 3 and not even showing Luke until the epilogue.

They wanted to see a new and exciting story with an old and new cast... and Disney shitcanned that by rehashing A New Hope all over again.

They wanted to see Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master, the legend at the top of his powers... and Disney shitcanned that by skipping over that iteration of the character and showing a defeated, broken man who has given up. This one I don't mind as much in theory, but in practice they botched the execution. Also: they killed him off in Act 3, so that's that.

They wanted to see arguably the most interesting new character in "The Force Awakens" (Finn) go through an interesting and emotionally satisfying story arc... and Disney literally shitcanned that by sidelining the character for two movies (and even removing him from movie posters in some countries). Meanwhile Rey went from your prototypical Mary Sue in the first movie to a lost character trying to find purpose and identity in the second, which admittedly is much more compelling. But again, they botched the execution; "nah, she's a good guy, don't you worry!" Zero sum gain.

I actually liked The Last Jedi as a movie on its own, but as part 2 of a trilogy it really shit the bed.

Rise of Skywalker was fairly dreadful, but only inasmuch as JJ had to "correct the ship" from TLJ's mistakes, and took it in an even worse direction. For whatever you think of the Palpatine Revelation, that was the least of that movie's problems.

Again, so much potential, and ultimately so much letdown. They could have gone into some more complex and fascinating areas, like Finn struggling against his Stormtrooper conditioning, maybe even giving Phasma something more of a freakin' role like maybe engaging on a personal vendetta to break him. Or Rey and Kylo abandoning both the Jedi/Resistance and Sith/First Order to forge their own path in TLJ, begging the question is she going Dark? Is he going Light? Maybe even Poe's cockiness screwing up things for the Resistance tragically and put him on a redemption arc, instead of a "Oh sorry I killed so many people but hey, I destroyed a Dreadnought!" or whatever.

With JJ I can understand why his simplistic rehashes of previous storylines/characters was so prevalent, but I was disappointed in the extremely talented writer/director of Brick and Looper. Johnson made some complex and thought-provoking films in the past, but ultimately he made just another dopey, paper-thin Star Wars movie.
Crocker Jarmen (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I dunno, if you're going to make a trilogy I'd prefer that you at least have some form of story/plot bible that you plan to follow and you don't just wing it. But that's just me.
Old 09-15-22, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Why all the hate for the new trilogy and especially Last Jedi? I thought they were fun and had great moments. Of course, itís not the OT, but it was 100x better than the prequels. They were more popcorn fun than anything else.
It isn't so much that they were that bad, but they should've been so much better. (very much like Indy4) They were so lazy, and so sloppily handled...they get worse as the years pass because you realize what a wasted opportunity they were. They were a paycheck for those making them, and nothing more. Hobbit films follow very much the prequels...in that the creators cared, but their vision was just misplaced...the SW sequels didn't even have that.
PhantomStranger (09-16-22)
Old 09-15-22, 09:08 PM

I get that. I just enjoyed for what they were. Fun, hot messes with lightsabers.
Old 09-15-22, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I get that. I just enjoyed for what they were. Fun, hot messes with lightsabers.
Rise of Skywalker duel between Ray and Ben is the 2nd best in the series (after Empire), and I don't think it's particularly close!
OldBoy (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 09:32 PM

Nothing shines a light on father vs. son, but this was a damn good battle.
Old 09-15-22, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,158 Posts

Biggest disappointment, hands down, is watching Disney crash and burn Star Wars.
Old 09-15-22, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts

So sad to say but The Hobbit does not compare to the LOTR trilogy. I didnít want LOTR to end.

The Hobbit had really good moments. And I appreciate that we get to see more of Middle Earth. But when you reach a final battle and feel nothing, something is wrong.
IBJoel (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 145 Posts

Mad Max Fury Road. Worst of the Mad Max movies.
Old 09-16-22, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
You expected that to be good?
I was disappointed that after waiting for a new Ghostbusters film for 27 years, that it turned out to be awful, yes.
Old 09-16-22, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Mad Max Fury Road. Worst of the Mad Max movies.
You don't think anyone is going to back you on that take do you?
I think it's the best action film of the 21st century.
But sure, it can't compare to watching Tina Turner MC gladiator fights with Bungie cords.
IBJoel (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,158 Posts

I didn't hate Fury Road, but I didn't love it, either. It was really really okay.

Stylish and mostly pretty to look at, but ultimately empty and unsatisfying. The action was well-directed, but it felt like that's all there was.

Also felt kind of weird to have Mad Max recast and marginalized in his own movie.
Old 09-16-22, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 246 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
I was disappointed that after waiting for a new Ghostbusters film for 27 years, that it turned out to be awful, yes.
I don't get it. I do get, that you were waiting for a good Ghostbusters movie, but nothing hinted to the possibility of that paticular Ghostbusters being any good. A terrible cast, a terrible director, no connection to the originals and a overall terrible concept. The movie pretty much nailed my expectations.
Old 09-16-22, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
I don't get it. I do get, that you were waiting for a good Ghostbusters movie, but nothing hinted to the possibility of that paticular Ghostbusters being any good. A terrible cast, a terrible director, no connection to the originals and a overall terrible concept. The movie pretty much nailed my expectations.
Youíre right. You donít get it. Some of what you described is what I was disappointed in. Recasting the original cast, a director that didnít seem to respect the source material. I must have missed the part where Oldboy qualified that up until the curtain dropped that I had to have 100% confidence it was going to be a masterpiece. A Ghostbusters film was made and I was disappointed by it. Itís so weird that youíre even arguing the parameters of how I should and shouldnít be disappointed in a film. I thought the film wasnít going to be good and I was gutted when it wasnít. From announcement to final product. It was all a wash. Was it specified in Oldboys intricate rules and regulations of this think tank of a thread that that doesnít count?

Also, besides Leslie Jones , the cast was really good.
Old 09-16-22, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Not seeing Luke/Han/Leia together was probably the biggest disappointment.

I don't know why but was expecting Coming 2 America to surprise me and be good but certainly was not. The Hangover sequels are another. El Camino is okay but was expecting greatness so a disappointment.
Old 09-16-22, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Not seeing Luke/Han/Leia together was probably the biggest disappointment.
It's a bummer when you think about it, but I think the pre-release info on The Force Awakens made it pretty obvious that Han would die and Luke would barely be in it, so that wasn't really a surprise to me.

It may be recency bias, but I think I was more disappointed in Obi Wan Kenobi than I was in any of the Sequel Trilogy films. And I hated Rise of Skywalker.
Old 09-16-22, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It's a bummer when you think about it, but I think the pre-release info on The Force Awakens made it pretty obvious that Han would die and Luke would barely be in it, so that wasn't really a surprise to me.

It may be recency bias, but I think I was more disappointed in Obi Wan Kenobi than I was in any of the Sequel Trilogy films. And I hated Rise of Skywalker.
Now I'm curious, what did you expect out of Kenobi?
Old 09-16-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Star Wars: The Last Jedi pretty much killed the biggest movie franchise of all time and one of the biggest brands of all time by itself. The Force Awakens was a competent, if uninspired, rehash of A New Hope. If I had been running the franchise and screened Last Jedi, I would have killed it immediately and started over from scratch.

Disney will pay the price for Last Jedi for years.
TLJ has so many fascinating and even fantastic concepts and ideas and scenes and characters, unfortunately they just didn't gel together in any kind of coherent story, especially with such a tonal change after TFA. I've even said that there's an alternate universe out there where TLJ is considered the Citizen Kane of not only the Star Wars saga but all of sci-fi. Unfortunately in our timeline it's a massively flawed attempt at a masterpiece.
Old 09-16-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Maybe I wasn't following the pre-buzz as much as I thought on TFA, but how was any of that obvious? Other than Ford once stating decades ago that he though Solo should die in Return of the Jedi but Lucas wouldn't have it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.