Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest disappointments the last 10+ years (2010-present)?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-14-22, 06:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Tough one, but I’m going with The Irishman. Just didn’t like at all. Love and Thunder certainly ranks in top 5.
Old 09-14-22, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: Biggest disappointments the last 10+ years (2010-present)?

The new Star Wars movies. What a wasted opportunity.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
DeanoBKN (09-15-22), tommyp007 (09-14-22)
Old 09-14-22, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Any legacy prequel or sequel that wasn't Top Gun or Rocky related.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-14-22)
Old 09-14-22, 07:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Lol
Old 09-14-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Man I can think of a bunch. Can I do that? List a bunch?

Prometheus
Alien Covenant
The Hobbit Trilogy
The Last Jedi
Halloween Kills

Edgar Wright getting fired from Ant-Man
Old 09-14-22, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Hands down Ghostbusters 2016.
Old 09-14-22, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

The Last Jedi and The Rise Of Skywalker for me. The rest I expected to dislike and they didn't let me down such as Halloween 18 and Halloween Kills. I was able to avoid quite a lot that looked bad like the new Matrix and so on. I won't be fooled into Halloween Ends.
Old 09-14-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Any legacy prequel or sequel that wasn't Top Gun or Rocky related.
I mean, this captures the Star Wars sequels, the Terminator sequels, The Hobbit movies, most of the DC Extended Universe, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Independence Day: Resurgence, and everything in the MCU after Avengers: Endgame so it’s the correct answer!
Old 09-14-22, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

I don't get disappointed. Movies are a gift, and I love them all. Pretty surprised at how much Solo sucked, though.
GoldenJCJ (09-14-22)
Old 09-14-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

I think I would always entertain the thought that I might be disappointed with the next Star Wars or Terminator movie. The two movies I picked, I never thought, at least until the reviews came out, that I would be anything less than enthusiastic and thrilled with them. I ended up actively hating both.

The first one was Downsizing. I was a huge Alexander Payne fan. Pretty much loved everything he had ever done. Was obsessed with Election, saw it a dozen times. Really connected with Sideways, which felt very familiar to me in parts. Felt like The Descendants was made especially for me, directed by one of my favorites, starring my favorite actor, set in and shot in my home town at locations I visit all the time. When I saw the trailer for Downsizing I was excited. It was funny. Looked imaginative, had an amusing, satirical premise. How could it miss?
Boy was I wrong. All that cute trailer stuff is from the very beginning of the film. Then it becomes a dark, preachy slog about poverty in the third world with a female lead who I found insufferable. I was flabbergasted how much I actually loathed this film and couldn’t wait for it to end.

The other one was just last Christmas. That would be Don’t Look Up. I had become quite a fan of Adam McKay as he wound his way out of goofy Will Farrell comedies (which I loved, as everyone should) and into a more mature, serious filmmaker. The Big Short was my favorite film the year it came out. I thought Vice was a little uneven, but I still really enjoyed a lot of it. I very much enjoyed Succession that he helped create. I saw the trailer for this movie, loaded with A-List, Oscar-winners. It looked really funny. Plus I was getting it for free on Netflix. Win-Win! But you all know how it turned out. Yes, a Best Picture nomination. But what a heavy handed, unfunny satire it was. A total drag. And we got the one and only point a long, long time ago. The only laughs came from Jonah Hill who was actually brilliant, but was essentially acting in a completely different movie than everyone else. I was thoroughly deflated. What a bummer.
Old 09-14-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Incredibles 2 by far.

The original is not only my favorite Pixar movie, one of my Top 5 animated movies overall, and one of my Top 20 movies overall, the sequel had a lot to live up to, and I was convinced Pixar and Brad Bird were up to the challenge.

The result was just a great big reset and rehash, a barely second-rate effort that felt like little more than a cash grab at best.

Were there worse movies in the past 10 years? By far. But for me, this was a disappointment of epic scope that nothing else could begin to compare.
Old 09-15-22, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Hands down Ghostbusters 2016.
You expected that to be good?
Old 09-15-22, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Glass (2019) takes that spot for me. I LOVED Unbreakable. When Split came out and the ending connected the two movies, I was beyond excited. When I actually saw Glass at the theater, I was insanely let down. It just kind of took forever to get going, and by the time it did, I'd already lost interest.
The following 2 users liked this post by EdTheRipper:
philo (09-15-22), story (09-16-22)
Old 09-15-22, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I know this is piling on at this point but Superman: MoS and Batman v Superman.

I was excited for a new Superman movie and the casting was superb, but the story direction, particularly Pa Kent, and just the dreariness of it... it just wasn't for me. Still, I was excited about having Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on the big screen at the same time and then... that happened. Justice League probably would've been a disappointment if my expectations weren't already set by those two.

And then we have WW1984... I still have no idea what they were thinking beyond "isn't nostalgia cool?"
Old 09-15-22, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I know this is piling on at this point but Superman: MoS and Batman v Superman.

I was excited for a new Superman movie and the casting was superb, but the story direction, particularly Pa Kent, and just the dreariness of it... it just wasn't for me. Still, I was excited about having Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on the big screen at the same time and then... that happened. Justice League probably would've been a disappointment if my expectations weren't already set by those two.

And then we have WW1984... I still have no idea what they were thinking beyond "isn't nostalgia cool?"
I really enjoyed MoS and BvS (and ZSJL) but I can understand why many didn't. Snyder had a unique vision that many felt didn't fit the material, but I found it fascinating. Not perfect, but fascinating.

Now WW84? I think proved more than anything else that (1) Patty Jenkins was the weak link for the amazing (despite a third act that didn't live up to the first two) first movie, (2) Geoff Johns should stick to comics, not screenwriting, and (3) WB actually could produce another crappy superhero movie along the lines of Batman & Robin.

Old 09-15-22, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Star Wars, without question. Nothing else had expectations that high with a delivery that was such garbage. At least the prequels didn't butcher the lore built by the originals.
PhantomStranger (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
Star Wars, without question. Nothing else had expectations that high with a delivery that was such garbage. At least the prequels didn't butcher the lore built by the originals.
I mean they kind of did though? Midichlorians?
Old 09-15-22, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Did that go against anything from the originals though? I thought that was just the explanation as to why some people are strong with the force while others aren't. I could be forgetting something.
Old 09-15-22, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, after that one mention we never heard from midichlorians ever again.
Old 09-15-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

I think the thread needs to be retitled: Biggest disappointments the last 10+ years (2010-present) A Star Wars Story.
The following 3 users liked this post by jpcamb:
Kurt D (09-15-22), PhantomStranger (09-15-22), rexinnih (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Naming a bunch of sequels feels too easy to me just because the rate of disappointment with sequels is so high, but I can't let those damn Hobbit movies off the hook. What a catastrophe those were.

As for non-sequels, I'm having a hard time thinking of one only because I'd have to look at a list of movies from the decade to remind myself of what I actually saw. That said, I do have an answer that's a slight twist on the original question. Baby Driver was a movie that I was interested in, but wasn't highly anticipating or anything. However, when I finally saw it, the first 20 minutes were so fun that I immediately started thinking this would be one of my favorite movies ever. Unfortunately the movie tailed off big-time for me as it went along. So the arc of disappointment took place over the course of 2 hours rather than over some number of months or years.
Old 09-15-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Naming a bunch of sequels feels too easy to me just because the rate of disappointment with sequels is so high, but I can't let those damn Hobbit movies off the hook. What a catastrophe those were.

As for non-sequels, I'm having a hard time thinking of one only because I'd have to look at a list of movies from the decade to remind myself of what I actually saw. That said, I do have an answer that's a slight twist on the original question. Baby Driver was a movie that I was interested in, but wasn't highly anticipating or anything. However, when I finally saw it, the first 20 minutes were so fun that I immediately started thinking this would be one of my favorite movies ever. Unfortunately the movie tailed off big-time for me as it went along. So the arc of disappointment took place over the course of 2 hours rather than over some number of months or years.
Yeah, sequels/adaptations are probably the most prevalent because the previous material is what builds the hype up. Some unknown property may have a great trailer but if the movie stinks it's not going to have the anticipation for or a lasting impression like, say, the hype for a new Star Wars trilogy.

I wonder if Harry Potter diehards would say the Fantastic Beasts franchise, which were kind of derailed by the Depp stuff but even beyond that just doesn't seem that popular?
Old 09-15-22, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Downsizing... a dark, preachy slog about poverty in the third world with a female lead who I found insufferable. I was flabbergasted how much I actually loathed this film and couldn’t wait for it to end.

Don’t Look Up... a heavy handed, unfunny satire. A total drag. I was thoroughly deflated. What a bummer.
Interesting. I'd completely agree about Downsizing. What a depressing fall for Payne! But I will maintain till I kick that Don't Look Up is a misunderstood masterpiece, a satire that's perfect for our time. Yes, it's depressing and blunt and obvious, but that's in tune with what's going on in the media and the public. I wouldn't say I laughed so much as I watched with an appalled recognition and resignation.
Crocker Jarmen (09-15-22)
Old 09-15-22, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Star Wars: The Last Jedi pretty much killed the biggest movie franchise of all time and one of the biggest brands of all time by itself. The Force Awakens was a competent, if uninspired, rehash of A New Hope. If I had been running the franchise and screened Last Jedi, I would have killed it immediately and started over from scratch.

Disney will pay the price for Last Jedi for years.
The following 2 users liked this post by PhantomStranger:
Jason Bovberg (09-15-22), milo bloom (09-16-22)
Old 09-15-22, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Glass (2019) takes that spot for me. I LOVED Unbreakable. When Split came out and the ending connected the two movies, I was beyond excited. When I actually saw Glass at the theater, I was insanely let down. It just kind of took forever to get going, and by the time it did, I'd already lost interest.
That’s a good one. Even though I saw it with my own eyes I still refuse to believe
Spoiler:
They drowned Bruce Willis’ character in a puddle in a fucking pothole

I suppose it’s a fitting metaphor for the end of Willis’ career.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
EdTheRipper (09-16-22), philo (09-15-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.