Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What could have we seen without the MCU (or DCEU) connectivity?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-08-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Watched the first Iron Man and Captain America today and it got me wondering what kind of series each hero might have had if they didn't have to be tied together in an overall story arc. I would have loved to see more Cap with the Howling Commandos during WW2 and the cold war era. I also included DCEU even though their connected universe never really got going. Maybe we would have gotten proper Superman sequels and a standalone Affleck Batman.

So what would you have liked to see if each series was made to stand on it's own?
Old 09-08-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Re: What could have we seen without the MCU (or DCEU) connectivity?

I think you could've gotten another Cap in the past movie if they really wanted to, but I don't think it would've done well. When I think of the sequels that have way less tie ins with the MCU, like Thor the Dark World or Iron Man 2 and 3, they're some of the worst of the bunch, so I dunno.

Would've loved a Superman sequel without Batman and Wonder Woman, though. And while it wouldn't make it a good movie by any means, if WW1984 were separated from continuity at least I wouldn't be thinking the whole time "how the hell does she go back into hiding for 20 years after this?"
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-08-22)
Old 09-08-22, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Watched the first Iron Man and Captain America today and it got me wondering what kind of series each hero might have had if they didn't have to be tied together in an overall story arc. I would have loved to see more Cap with the Howling Commandos during WW2 and the cold war era. I also included DCEU even though their connected universe never really got going. Maybe we would have gotten proper Superman sequels and a standalone Affleck Batman.

So what would you have liked to see if each series was made to stand on it's own?
I would have loved to see a Howling Commando movie with Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan. They could have loosely tied it in to the overall universe, using Cap at the beginning or end, and then told a story of their adventures that fit into the overall common story, but with a lot more detail. And make the story about them, with Cap not showing up during the main body of the adventure.
Old 09-08-22, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 374 Likes on 293 Posts

Well there isn't really DCEU connectivity now, that's why movies like Joker and Batman exist.
Old 09-08-22, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Well there isn't really DCEU connectivity now, that's why movies like Joker and Batman exist.
I did concede that it never really got started, but the fact they did try affected Supes, Batman (Affleck) as well as how Aquaman and Wonder Woman were brought in and characterized.

Overall (for any Superhero movie) I wish we could get better treatment for their respective iconic adversaries instead of brining them in for one film and killing them off. Seems like The Batman might be heading that direction (since the Riddler lived).

Without the DCEU, maybe we would have gotten more of a "normal" Spiderman instead of Iron Man-Lite (hated him having Stark tech).

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 09-08-22 at 08:18 PM.