Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Final Cut -- French "One Cut of the Dead" remake

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,267 Likes on 845 Posts

Hardly suprising considering the meaning "Z" has taken in the Ukraine war.

So, here's the "Coupez!" trailer, from director Michel Hazanavicus ("The Artist"). I'm not sure understanding French is required.

Old 04-27-22, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
re: Final Cut -- French "One Cut of the Dead" remake

This has a tough act to follow. The reason One Cut of the Dead worked so well for me is that I stayed away from discussions about it prior to watching the film. I was caught off guard by the turn that it takes and then really impressed and amused by how it loops back. If Coupez! follows the same beats then it'll have to do something different to entertain fans like me who know what happens in the original.
The following 2 users liked this post by L Everett Scott:
Brian T (04-28-22), IBJoel (04-28-22)
Old 04-28-22, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 632 Likes on 465 Posts

Totally agree on this. One major advantage, I think, that the original had was a largely unknown cast and director, even in Japan, so prior to the 'buzz' being generated – largely by word-of-mouth and not savvy marketing, for once – virtually everyone went in cold. I loved that. That movie literally launched a number of its players into steady careers (the director among them, after a few years of shorts and features hardly anyone saw), and the lack of familiar faces or Big Names® gave it an air of unpredictability and allowed audiences to focus fully on character and story. The French poster for COUPEZ! has director Michel Hazanavicius' name as the second most prominent text in the design. Bejo and Duris are both notable names in French cinema, and Matilda Lutz became something of a known cross-cultural genre entity with REVENGE in 2017. The remaining cast members seem to have reasonably established careers as well, even if in smaller roles or bit parts, so there's bound to be some "baggage" and/or expectations brought along with nearly everyone (admittedly, that might not affect viewers outside of France). And obviously Hazanavicius has a decent track record (most notably with THE ARTIST, but his earlier OSS 117 films also gained a little traction globally), plus he's married to Bejo, who's in nearly all of his films.The whole "live stunt" nature of the movie-within-the-movie in ONE CUT seemed like something that could actually happen in the gonzo, novelty-hungry world of Japanese V-cinema, whereas I'm not sure that French indie cinema has an equivalent. The casting of 'names' like Bejo, Lutz and Duris, however, might suggest the concept has been tweaked to reflect and comment more cynically on French indie filmmaking, which could be interesting rather than a straight-up remake. I'll certainly watch this, but nothing will replace seeing the original with absolutely zero expectations outside of it being a "zombie" movie and getting hit with one pleasant surprise after another. Hopefully this can pull that off for folks who've never seen the original, but part of me wishes they'd just leave stuff like this alone.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-28-22 at 09:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
IBJoel (04-28-22), L Everett Scott (04-28-22)
Old 04-28-22, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 231 Likes on 168 Posts

I find it odd that the French-speaking Anglo stars have Japanese names. Maybe that's part of the "comedy"?

I'm not getting a very good vibe about this. I hope that I'm wrong. But then again, needless remakes always give me bad vibes.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-28-22)
Old 06-13-23, 06:16 PM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Kino Lorber is putting this out next month. It's been playing at festivals...just recently at Tribeca. Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/final_cut_2022

In theaters July 14.

The opening night selection of last year’s Cannes Film Festival was this wacky horror comedy, a remake of Shin’ichirô Ueda’s cult hit One Cut of the Dead. It follows a director (Romain Duris, L’Auberge Espagnole) making a live, single-take, low-budget zombie flick in which the cast and crew, one by one, actually turn into zombies. Oscar® winner Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist) milks the film’s hilarious and meta-to-the-max premise for all it’s worth, while also crafting a sly love letter to the art of filmmaking. What’s on screen unfolds in typical cheesy B-movie fashion, while the off-screen hijinks offer a celebration of the unpredictable and collaborative nature of film sets. Featuring a hysterically unhinged turn by Oscar® nominee Berenice Bejo (The Artist) and serving up blood-soaked high farce par excellence, Final Cut revels in its affectionate embrace of goofy genre fun.
Old 06-27-23, 08:41 AM

Received 4,641 Likes on 3,142 Posts
Re: Final Cut -- French "One Cut of the Dead" remake

Old 06-27-23, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Re: Final Cut -- French "One Cut of the Dead" remake

Should be good. France can put out good horror movies, even if it's a remake. They don't skimp on the gore.