Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will the movies and "going to the movies" ever be the same?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will the movies and "going to the movies" ever be the same?
Yes.
31.25%
No.
50.00%
Maybe. (Please explain...)
12.50%
Other. (Please explain...)
0%
What are you high?
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Will the movies and "going to the movies" ever be the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Will the movies and "going to the movies" ever be the same?

Originally Posted by Draven
Same here - when I go to the movies now, I only want to go to the Alamo Drafthouse because they enforce the no cell phone/no talking rules. I want goddamn SILENCE at the theater. But that's almost 30 minutes away from my house so it's only for special occasions. Otherwise, you run the risk of someone looking at their phone all night or bringing their newborn baby to the theater at 10 PM for "A Quiet Place II" (which happened to me).

No thank you. I'm done with all of that.
Yeah Drafthouse was a game changer, but they closed the nearest one to me and now the only one left is almost an hour away (with traffic).
Old 02-22-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I think it's just a combination of my age (48) along with the time we're living in. In the 1980s/1990s & 2000s my interest in movies and my ability to navigate them was based on newspapers, TV shows (Siskel & Ebert, Entertainment Tonight) and magazines such as Premiere, Entertainment Weekly. Most of these are either gone or have radically adapted a new format.

The culture is just so saturated with so much content fighting for your attention that I have simply tuned most of it out. Most theatres are not expensive at $15 when I look back to 1991 and tickets were $8.00. I think it has to do with the relative cost when comparing the other streaming options that movie theatres just seem overpriced.

As others mentioned, titles comes to home video in a matter of weeks compared to the 80s & 90s theatrical-to-VHS market which would see a 6-10 month window.

Home technology has improved ten-fold and is incredibly cheap for the average consumer.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangerunner:
Boondock Saint (02-23-22), IBJoel (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
One of the reasons to wear a mask is to prevent spreading the virus. It's not just about YOUR fear of catching Covid.
Yea thanks, I don't need to be lectured on the purpose of masks. I'm not only vaxxed but got the booster too. If people that are at risk of a debilitating case of covid are still going out in public, that's on them, not me. Get vaccinated
The following 3 users liked this post by Osiris3657:
Alan Smithee (02-23-22), Boondock Saint (02-23-22), rennervision (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
It’s not fear. Movies in theaters are just no longer worth it. The pandemic just helped me break the habit.

Day-and-date releases and quick windows for home release have made them almost pointless now.
Speak for yourself. My A-List pass more than pays for itself, I don't have the added expenses of a wife and kids, and I enjoy watching movies on a large screen with surround sound. And judging by the box office takes in the last couple of months, alot of people feel the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by Osiris3657:
Decker (02-22-22), DJariya (02-22-22), story (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Speak for yourself. My A-List pass more than pays for itself, I don't have the added expenses of a wife and kids, and I enjoy watching movies on a large screen with surround sound. And judging by the box office takes in the last couple of months, alot of people feel the same.

You're basing that on what ??? No Way Home, Jackass and Uncharted?

Aren't theater's still in the red ( at least the ones that are left?)

If a film warrants a theatrical viewing ( i.e. it's actually good) then I think people will make the trek, but with the number of options out there (regardless of your VIP pass) the days of folks coming out in droves to simply watch anything are long gone.
Old 02-22-22, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

The movies are the same for me, and I spend significantly less going to them than I would for VOD.
The following users liked this post:
kakistos (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

For me it's kind of back to normal regarding theaters. When they were closed I had some friends come over from time to time and we watched movies on my 100" screen, which was a nice substitue, but watching No Time To Die, Another Round, Last Night In Soho, Spider-Man and Moonfall in the past couple of months has made me appreciate theateres again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
DJariya (02-22-22), IBJoel (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Haven't gone since covid. And I truly love movies.

But even before, it was like 50-50 if some asshole was going to talk/make noise/be on their phone/be disruptive. Like was reaching the point where I thought I was going to snap on someone. I still find it hard to process the level of obnoxiousness of movie theater ruiners.

And then of course movie quality has fallen off a cliff. Who is making epics these days or just even movies that fully take advantage of large screen? It's a very short list of directors.

So now I download for free and watch at my convenience in perfect silence.
Old 02-22-22, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I'm back to going to movies regularly. Saw Death on the Nile just over a week ago. Going to The Godfather on Friday and then seeing The Batman the next Friday. All in the same Dolby Cinema, using my AMC Stubs Premiere. Love it and am happy to be back. Usually wearing a mask, Vaccinated and boosted. Very comfortable in my decisions. And judging by the availability of seating, I'm not the only one.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (02-22-22)
Old 02-23-22, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I think I'm done with theaters. It's not worth the price, the trouble and the hassle of other people anymore. I have a fine system at home with a 100" screen. Here I also have peace and quite unless I choose otherwise. There's no movie ever, I can't wait a couple months to see.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gunde:
candyrocket786 (02-23-22), Draven (02-23-22)
Old 02-23-22, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I agree that the theater-going experience is relatively back to normal, minus the masks. I (knock on wood) normally don't have to deal with people talking during movies for whatever reason. I find cell phones FAR more annoying, since it draws my eyes away from the screen, but even those are rare. I also typically go to a less popular theater with assigned seating, but even at more popular theaters in Torrance or Century City, I haven't really had any major issues.