Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will the movies and "going to the movies" ever be the same?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will the movies and "going to the movies" ever be the same?
Yes.
31.25%
No.
50.00%
Maybe. (Please explain...)
12.50%
Other. (Please explain...)
0%
What are you high?
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-22, 01:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 611 Likes on 525 Posts

This is a 2-parter sorta. first the quality of films and then the act of going to the theater to sit an anjoy a flick.

Will the event of really going all out and having so many blockbusters and seeing them in theaters with friends or loved ones really get to where it was pre-Covid?

i know many here go again, but does it feel the same? same as prior to the pandemic?

of course Spider-Man: NWH hit big and others as well, though no where near SM, but we are really used to seeing so many more blockbusters and just, imo, better films.

nothing has truly excited me about what has been churned out the past couple years. sure, there have been great films, but imo not to the caliber of what we used to see. the thrill seems to be gone and the well done, entertaining movies are much less than ever before and the need to go has died considerably i would assume by numbers and at least within me.

i would love to get that desire and urge and thrill back, but not sure it is likely now. and i think as we get older, the thrill of going out to see them dies down as well. ut i think its a firm no from me.

any other feel same about quality and actually going to see them in theater with the thrill of going?
Old 02-21-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 575 Posts
Re: Will the movies and "going to the movies" ever be the same?

Zero reason to think it won't. Movie quality ebbs and flows but there's always one or two a year I'm excited to see in theaters.

Your reasoning is more of the jaded variety. Which I hit from time to time.
Old 02-21-22, 01:59 PM

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Didn’t you just post reviews for Licorice Pizza and Scream, which are currently only in theatres? You’ve gone back… ?
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 228 Likes on 178 Posts

Having worked in theaters from 1991-2001, I think theaters will put themselves out of business. With increased competition from home viewing you would think they would bring back the BIG screens and deliver an experience you can't get at home, but every generation of new theaters includes smaller screens, smaller auditoriums and unbelievable corner-cutting. Many new theaters have screens with as few as 50 seats, and most screens are common-width with no masking so instead of seeing widescreen movies on a true WIDE screen you're watching them letterboxed just like at home. Plus they keep showing pre-movie commercials that reduce the experience to that of TV. Bringing back 3D was a great move (that was a way they competed with TV in the 50s), but they ruined that by charging extra for it (and often having presentation issues along with it), then running more 2D showings when people refused to pay the upcharges yet still had no problem overpaying for snacks.
The following 4 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
Bandoman (02-22-22), candyrocket786 (02-22-22), Crocker Jarmen (02-21-22), Sonny Corinthos (02-23-22)
Old 02-21-22, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Didnít you just post reviews for Licorice Pizza and Scream, which are currently only in theatres? Youíve gone backÖ ?
Obviously he digs Rrrrr movies.
Old 02-21-22, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 907 Likes on 576 Posts

Not for me - I used to love going to the movies but I much prefer watching things at home. And there is very little that comes out that's worth seeing outside of big tentpole movies on opening weekend. Between day-and-date releases and fast releases on home video, there's not a lot of "must see" these days.

For example, I love the Scream series but didn't really want to deal with the moviegoing public to see it. Now it's coming out at home in a few weeks so I just pre-ordered it and will watch it at home for a lot less money. That's much better and always will be.
Old 02-21-22, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Growing up in the 80's, the difference between going to the movies & watching a film at home were vastly different. We had destination theaters that were worth driving out of your way to, because they were the only ones showing in 70mm in multichannel sound. And if you missed the theatrical run, you were forever stuck seeing it only a blurry pan & scan VHS on a 25 in TV. Now theaters screens have shrunk & home screens have grown so like Alan said, they are basically the same experience. Except one is much more expensive & less convenient. I don't know how they'll ever get that cat back in the bag.
Alan Smithee (02-22-22)
Old 02-21-22, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 779 Likes on 600 Posts

Didnít you just post reviews for Licorice Pizza and Scream, which are currently only in theatres? Youíve gone backÖ ?

Eh, those films are out in the wild if you know what I mean.
Old 02-21-22, 03:01 PM

i don't consider a rented out theater or a screener copy from a friend who is a member actual "theater going experiences" and i certainly wasn't clamoring...
Old 02-21-22, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Iíve mentioned it in other threads but to me, the movie going experience really died when the ďsummer movie seasonĒ died.
Old 02-21-22, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 190 Posts

I think we are still in flux right now but as Spiderman showed us we can still topple Avatar's success and there will be other mega movies to come. I'm not terribly excited by what is out at the moment but I can see theaters as a thing of the future and not a dead market with the pandemic slowly becoming more manageble.
Old 02-21-22, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 952 Likes on 692 Posts

I don't know, but I will continue to see certain movies in the theater, I'll continue to stream and continue to buy physical. Same as before.
Old 02-21-22, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 857 Likes on 701 Posts

Itís definitely changed for me. Iím more willing to go after being vaccinated, but Iím much more choosy about what Iíll go to the theater to see now days.

Lots of movies I would have probably seen in the theater previously now end up as: ďIíll wait for it to be streaming on whatever service or buy it on Blu-ray/4KĒ.

I think part of it is being spoiled by not having to wait that long for movies to be available to stream or on disc. Why go out when I can wait a month or two and just watch it at home? Unless itís a movie thatís going to be truly better with a crowd itís hard to justify.

Old 02-21-22, 05:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 930 Likes on 664 Posts

Aren't there like eight threads on this exact topic from the past two years?
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
DJariya (02-21-22), Kurt D (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Aren't there like eight threads on this exact topic from the past two years?
Most of which were started by the OP.
Old 02-21-22, 06:34 PM

Used to be so much fun coming to these forums. I used to look forward. Now, it’s just mean randoms that say not nice things. I seriously almost loathe posting here anymore.
Old 02-21-22, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 937 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Used to be so much fun coming to these forums. I used to look forward. Now, itís just mean randoms that say not nice things. I seriously almost loathe posting here anymore.
I sincerely apologies, Oldboy. I'll delete my post. The snark was unwarranted.
Old 02-21-22, 06:38 PM

God forbid you just want to generate some chatter on topics you’re interested in (and may repeat topics if I don’t remember) in a once very thriving site.
Old 02-21-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 119 Posts

It never changed. I went back as soon as theaters opened again (Tenant) and didn't wear a mask then and vaccines weren't available yet. I have zero worries going to see a movie, even if it's a packed house. Living in fear must suck
Old 02-21-22, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 952 Likes on 692 Posts

One of the reasons to wear a mask is to prevent spreading the virus. It's not just about YOUR fear of catching Covid.
IBJoel (02-22-22)
Old 02-21-22, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
It never changed. I went back as soon as theaters opened again (Tenant) and didn't wear a mask then and vaccines weren't available yet. I have zero worries going to see a movie, even if it's a packed house. Living in fear must suck
Itís not fear. Movies in theaters are just no longer worth it. The pandemic just helped me break the habit.

Day-and-date releases and quick windows for home release have made them almost pointless now.
Old 02-22-22, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 613 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Itís not fear. Movies in theaters are just no longer worth it. The pandemic just helped me break the habit.

Day-and-date releases and quick windows for home release have made them almost pointless now.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​They've also completely devalued the product to the point where movies don't really matter to the culture at large anymore. They're just content to be consumed and forgotten. But that's also true of a great many things these days. It's the price we pay for convenience.
The following 3 users liked this post by rocket1312:
IBJoel (02-22-22), Kurt D (02-22-22), rennervision (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

It's changed so much for me, and it's not COVID related. Going to the moves was a weekend ritual for me for years and years. Now, at 50, I still love movies just as much, but I've got real bills and debts, and for us to go to a nicer theater here, it's $12-$15 a ticket for me, my wife and my kid. Add in theater snacks, because I can't go without getting a big popcorn, and they like snacks too, you can figure another $30 or more easily just for popcorn and drinks. So a night out to see a movie is nearly $80. I can't do that many times. Plus, with a big tv and a pretty nice surround system at home, and the myriad choices on streaming services, I don't mind waiting. We do go to Marvel movies so we don't get behind in the continuity, and maybe something like Bond gets us out, but that's it.

The big exception is summertime. We have a drive in close by that shows a double feature every weekend for $8 a person. We go there for movies we want to see. We take a cooler with beer, sodas and snacks.....maybe stop and get takeout somewhere on the way. Pop out the blankets and enjoy a night out under the stars. No, the picture and sound isn't like being at a big Regal or AMC, but that's not the point of going to the drive in. It's about doing something out as a family. Works for us.
The following 4 users liked this post by tommyp007:
Draven (02-22-22), Kurt D (02-22-22), Sonny Corinthos (02-23-22), story (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Unless, there's something really damn good to get me into a theater (Afterlife/No Way Home), I simply won't bother.

I was already sour on the experience thanks to smartphones, social media, drunks and the everyday asshole. Even paying a premium for seating, showtimes didn't help much either (the premium section/showtimes still had assholes).

Thank you Government Shutdown: I can work, shop, workout and stream movies/tv all from home and SAVE MONEY.

Draven (02-22-22)
Old 02-22-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Same here - when I go to the movies now, I only want to go to the Alamo Drafthouse because they enforce the no cell phone/no talking rules. I want goddamn SILENCE at the theater. But that's almost 30 minutes away from my house so it's only for special occasions. Otherwise, you run the risk of someone looking at their phone all night or bringing their newborn baby to the theater at 10 PM for "A Quiet Place II" (which happened to me).

No thank you. I'm done with all of that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
candyrocket786 (02-22-22), Finisher (02-22-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.