Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Hero (2022, D: Farhadi)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 02:42 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Rahim (Amir Jadidi) is in prison because of a debt he was unable to repay. During a two-day leave, he tries to convince his creditor (Mohsen Tanabandeh) to withdraw his complaint against the payment of part of the sum. But things don't go as planned.

From two-time Academy AwardŽ-winning director Asghar Farhadi, A HERO arrives in US theaters 1/7/22 and on Amazon Prime Video 1/21/22.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_hero
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11777738/

I am a fan of Farhadi's previous films, so I will definitely be checking this out.
Old 01-05-22, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: A Hero (2022, D: Farhadi)

IMO this is a huge step backwards from 'A Separation' - I thought this was just average.
Old 01-05-22, 12:02 PM

A Separation was 10 years ago and he’s made 3 other films between that and this. I don’t doubt that this will not reach that level though.
Old 04-05-22, 08:24 AM

I saw this a while back and liked it a lot.

More recently in the news is the case of Farhadi stealing the concept from a student. It all sounds like a Farhadi film.

Azadeh Masihzadeh, the former film student of Asghar Farhadi who has accused the two-time Oscar-winning Iranian director of stealing the idea for his new film A Hero from her original documentary, has been acquitted of defamation charges by an Iranian court. Farhadi had brought the suit against Masihzadeh after she publicly claimed the plot for A Hero was taken directly from her 2018 documentary All Winners, All Losers. In response, Masihzadeh filed a plagiarism suit against Farhadi.

The Iranian court has now dismissed Farhadi’s defamation suit, saying there was “insufficient evidence” to support the director’s claims that Masihzadeh was deliberately trying to damage the director’s reputation with her plagiarism claims. Farhadi can still appeal the ruling. If Masihzadeh had been found guilty, she potentially faced a prison sentence of up to two years as well as 74 lashes (corporal punishment still being a part of the Iranian penal system).

The court has not yet ruled on Masihzadeh’s plagiarism suit, and it is unclear whether Masihzadeh’s acquittal will impact her case against Farhadi.

The plagiarism case focuses on similarities between the plot of All Winners, All Losers and A Hero. Both the documentary and the feature film are focused on the story of a man on leave from debtors’ prison who stumbles across a purse containing gold coins. But when he tries to return them, things get complicated and the man becomes the focus of a media campaign that he hopes will refurbish his image from ex-con to selfless do-gooder. Masihzadeh researched and developed her film at a 2014 documentary workshop in Iran taught by Farhadi.

For his part, Farhadi denies all allegations and claims to have independently researched the original story on which Masihzadeh’s documentary is based.

If the court finds Farhadi guilty of plagiarizing All Winners, All Losers, he could be forced to hand over “all income earned by the screening of the film in theaters or online” for A Hero to Masihzadeh. The film, which premiered in Cannes last year and won the Grand Jury award, has earned around $2.5 million in theatrical release internationally. Amazon Prime has U.S. rights for A Hero.

Reached via WhatsApp in Iran, Masihzadeh told The Hollywood Reporter she was “not happy at all. Just relieved. I am not happy because I respected Mr. Farhadi a lot as my master [teacher]. Sometimes, I think I should never have [spoken out] in the first place.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...uit-1235124834

A court in Iran has found two-time Oscar-winning Iranian director Asghar Farhadi guilty of stealing the premise for his new film, A Hero, from an earlier documentary, All Winners All Losers, made by Azadeh Masihzadeh, a former film student of Farhadi’s.

A court in Tehran found Farhadi guilty of violating Masihzadeh’s copyright for All Winners All Losers and of plagiarizing key elements of the documentary for his film without crediting Masihzadeh.

The ruling is binding and cannot be appealed. A second judge will now determine Farhadi’s punishment. In the worst case, the director could be forced to hand over “all income earned by the screening of the film in theaters or online” to Masihzadeh, and could even face time in prison.

A Hero premiered at the Cannes Film Festival last year, winning the Grand Jury prize. It has earned around $2.5 million in theatrical release worldwide to date. Amazon Prime has rights for the film in the U.S..

Farhadi had admitted his movie, in which a man on leave from debtor’s prison, finds a bag of gold coins and decides to try and return them to their rightful owner, was based on the same true story as All Winners All Losers, which Masihzadeh developed as a student at a documentary workshop taught by Farhadi. But the director did not give Masihzadeh credit for the idea, claiming he had independently researched the story.

Farhadi sued Masihzadeh for defamation and Masihzadeh countersued claiming Farhadi had plagiarized her original work.

This week, the Iranian court decided both suits in Masihzadeh’s favor, throwing out the defamation case and finding Farhadi guilty of plagiarism.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ro-1235125304/
Old 04-05-22, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 171 Likes on 137 Posts

This week, the Iranian court decided both suits in Masihzadeh’s favor, throwing out the defamation case and finding Farhadi guilty of plagiarism.
Definitely did not see that coming, especially since Farhadi became a celebrity after making A Separation.

I found this part to be puzzling:
The ruling is binding and cannot be appealed.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but copyright infringement and plagiarism rulings here in the West can be appealed, can't they? I know less than nothing about the Iranian justice system, but it just seems odd that a plagiarism case would be one and done.