Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sing 2 (2021, W/D: Jennings) - V: McConaughey, Johansson, Witherspoon, Egerton

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

This holiday season, the new chapter in Illumination’s smash animated franchise arrives with big dreams and spectacular hit songs as the ever-optimistic koala, Buster Moon, and his all-star cast of performers prepare to launch their most dazzling stage extravaganza yet …all in the glittering entertainment capital of the world. There’s just one hitch: They first have to persuade the world’s most reclusive rock star—played by global music icon Bono, in his animated film debut—to join them.

Buster (Oscar® winner Matthew McConaughey) has turned the New Moon Theater into a local hit, but Buster has his eyes on a bigger prize: Debuting a new show at the Crystal Tower Theater in glamorous Redshore City.

But with no connections, Buster and his cast—including harried mother pig Rosita (Oscar® winner Reese Witherspoon), rocker porcupine Ash (Scarlett Johansson), earnest gorilla Johnny (Taron Egerton), shy elephant Meena (Tori Kelly) and, of course, porcine provocateur Gunter (Nick Kroll)—have to sneak their way into the world-famous Crystal Entertainment offices, run by ruthless mogul wolf Jimmy Crystal (Emmy winner Bobby Cannavale).

In a desperate attempt to get Mr. Crystal’s attention, Gunter spontaneously pitches an outrageous idea that Buster quickly runs with, promising that their new show will star lion rock legend Clay Calloway (Bono). Problem is, Buster has never met Clay, an artist who shut himself away from the world more than a decade ago after the loss of his wife. Even worse, Buster has failed to realize that Mr. Crystal is an egocentric gangster who would rather drop somebody off the roof of a building than be lied to.

As Gunter helps Buster dream up an out-of-this-world theatrical masterpiece, and the pressure (and sinister threats) from Mr. Crystal mount, Rosita’s leading role in the show gets ripped away and handed to Mr. Crystal’s spoiled daughter, Porsha, played by Grammy-nominated artist Halsey. Desperate to save the show, and his life, Buster embarks on a quest to find Clay and persuade him to return to the stage.

What begins as a dream of big-time success becomes an emotional reminder of the power of music to heal even the most broken heart.

Sing 2 is written and directed by acclaimed returning filmmaker Garth Jennings and features additional new characters played by music superstar Pharrell Williams, Black Panther’s Letitia Wright and comedians Eric Andre and Chelsea Peretti.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...?ref_=bo_hm_rd

This has currently made about $70M in the U.S. and $95M worldwide

Has anyone here seen this?

I just got back from a late afternoon matinee. I really really liked it. Great music and has a lot of heart. I did see the 1st one as I own the BD, but I thought this was better than the 1st. It's really nicely animated and vibrant. The "Las Vegas" type setting was also pretty cool.

I liked the characters and I thought Bono was a nice addition playing a retired rock star who is still mourning the death of his wife.

I know the majority of this forum is older men who probably don't care for animated movies like this. But, if you have a family or enjoyed the 1st movie, I recommend it.
Old 01-01-22, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Sing 2 (2021, W/D: Jennings) - V: McConaughey, Johansson, Witherspoon, Egerton

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES

Sing 2 (PG) - Entertaining, emotionally-charged and song-filled follow-up definitely manages to improve on the already-impressive original.

The old Jedi recently got to spend the afternoon with Mrs. Orbi-Wan and grand-Padawan Andy enjoying the very fun and heartfelt “Sing 2”. The crew at Illumination has another winner on their hands. With pretty much all the original voice cast returning, the movie actually takes the time to spend several telling moments with each character we’ve come to know and love. “Sing 2” also introduces a few surprises like a certain ice cream truck owner (check the credits!), though we already know about Bono as Calloway, the reclusive music legend on which the majority of the plot relies.

I was immediately hooked from the first scene, as Buster Moon’s musical troop performs an elaborately staged “Alice In Wonderland” set to Prince’s “Let’s Get Crazy”. Bliss! And for me, the movie only gets better from there. Moon sneaks his crew into an audition at a showplace in a Las Vegas-lookalike city, and Moon promises the return of the reclusive Calloway as part of a new production at the owner’s theater. Crystal, the owner, holds Moon’s feet to the fire, so to speak, threatening bodily harm if the desperate koala doesn’t come through.

The rest of the movie revolves the entire crew’s frantic attempt to get the space-themed musical off the ground, Ash and Moon’s attempt to coax Calloway out of retirement, Johnny’s struggle to learn the necessary dance moves for his scenes, and problems that arise with Rosita and Moon when the theater owner’s daughter sets her sights on the show’s lead role.

“Sing 2” is a delightful toe-tapping time with plenty of jokes for the grown-ups and a few thematic things that, at times, may leave the youngest movie-goers scratching their heads. For example, a rental car return gag had Mrs. Orbi-Wan laughing out loud, though it is completely lost on kids.

However, my 9-year-old grand-Padawan said his favorite part was an onstage dance-off between Johnny and his snooty dance coach, and gives “Sing 2” a solid 7 out of 5 lightsabers. I have to say I can’t really disagree with his rating, though I am only going with 5 out of 5 lightsabers. This is definitely one for the permanent collection and I will be revisiting it with my Padawans in the future.

NOTES TO PARENTS (MILD SPOILERS): “Sing 2” is rated PG for some threatening situations and rude material. Language is primarily limited to “heck” and “geez”, and a couple of songs in the movie sounded like they may have been slightly edited. Calloway chases Ms. Crawly off his property by shooting at her with a paint gun. Ms. Crawly loses her artificial eye for a significant portion of the movie. When Ash and Buster touch Calloway’s fence, they are electrocuted and knocked unconscious. Crystal threatens Buster multiple times with throwing him from the roof of his skyscraper, and actually succeeds in a climatic scene, though Buster is quickly rescued. Johnny’s dad and associates help keep Crystal’s henchmen at bay as Buster and company perform their show.

MID AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: Throughout the first half of the rolling credits, we watch Ms. Crawly struggling to retrieve her artificial eye as it gets bounced around the screen by tap-dancing lemurs, roller-skating flamingoes, and others. After-credit scene - There are no after-credit scenes.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (01-01-22)
Old 01-09-22, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Sing 2 (2021, W/D: Jennings) - V: McConaughey, Johansson, Witherspoon, Egerton

This is now on PVOD, but it's a $25 rental only. Ouch I'm sure unless you guys have kids, the majority here will pass on that price point.

Anyways, I did go back to the theater and see this again yesterday. It's so good. Probably one of my favorite recent animated movies. The final performance was really great with Bono. I think this is better than the 1st movie. I have the 1st Sing on BD as I mentioned before and when this gets down to a more reasonable digital purchase price point, I'll probably get it.
Old 06-23-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

This is now on Netflix for those who have kids and haven’t seen it. Surprised it went there instead of Peacock.

Old 06-23-22, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is now on Netflix for those who have kids and haven’t seen it. Surprised it went there instead of Peacock.
They have a deal specifically for Illumination and DreamWorks theatrical releases, I think it's for a 10 month window.