Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of The Matrix Resurrections?
2.08%
2.08%
14.58%
25.00%
20.83%
16.67%
14.58%
2.08%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested
2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Sonic
I'll rephrase...genius script.

The Matrix changed many people's lives and perspective in America.
Here is one of the many articles out there on the internet that talks about it:
https://www.vulture.com/2021/12/what...e-in-2019.html

Isn't Matrix 1999 the movie that birth that "woke" "woke-ism" bullshit?

Genius script, mediocre film. Happens all the time.
Old 12-27-21, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

While I believe the Wachowskis can put out more good movies ... is WB gonna pull the plug on them soon? I remember them saying in an interview that they're surprised WB keeps paying for their movies.

I watched this again in the background. I think it is a good movie. It doesn't follow the framing nor hit the notes of the original film. There is almost zero nostalgia. It isn't a reboot and barely a sequel. They could have made a movie without the original characters and that would have been okay. I appreciate that they made something different.
Old 12-27-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
While I believe the Wachowskis can put out more good movies ... is WB gonna pull the plug on them soon? I remember them saying in an interview that they're surprised WB keeps paying for their movies.

I watched this again in the background. I think it is a good movie. It doesn't follow the framing nor hit the notes of the original film. There is almost zero nostalgia. It isn't a reboot and barely a sequel. They could have made a movie without the original characters and that would have been okay. I appreciate that they made something different.
I think their films, at least with Cloud Atlas, tend to be independently financed. WB acts as a distributor in some instances.
Old 12-27-21, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Well, it was a pretty pathetic article you posted. I've always seen the script as very cliche and that the movie was mainly an exercise of style over substance. I don't dispute the movie was very impactful, though.
Old 12-27-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Well, it was a pretty pathetic article you posted.
That was just one article I digged up quickly; there are dozens more out there on the internet praising Matrix 1999.

Last edited by Sonic; 12-27-21 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-27-21, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Ok I just finished this and thought it was really bad. Granted watching at home doesn't give the same feel or promote paying 100% attention like in a theater but it was just meh. It made no sense. Maybe I'll revisit again, but I doubt it. I'll just hold onto the original and pretend that none of the other nonsense exists.
Old 12-27-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Well, it was a pretty pathetic article you posted. I've always seen the script as very cliche and that the movie was mainly an exercise of style over substance. I don't dispute the movie was very impactful, though.
But is The Matrix 1999 better that The Nutty Professor 1963?
Old 12-27-21, 09:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn’t read the whole thread but thought a lot of the reviews were a bit on the jaded side. This was easily the best Matrix movie outside of the original. To the people who really disliked it, what did you want? This gave me all the feels of the original and in many ways surpassed some of them. Some people can’t be pleased no matter what you give them I suppose.
Old 12-27-21, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
If this wasn't on HBO Max and was "theatres only" this thread would probably be mostly dead with less than half the comments here. I don't get a sense that the people who watched it here really liked the series or really cared about this movie being made. It seems more or less it's a "new" studio movie that you don't have to pay extra money for, so you're just kind of obligated to view it.
Sort a strange scenario you’re presenting. You’re saying a Matrix sequel would be “mostly dead”? In what universe.
Old 12-27-21, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Sort a strange scenario you’re presenting. You’re saying a Matrix sequel would be “mostly dead”? In what universe.
Sorry I deleted my post because I realized as you said it didn't really make sense.
The following users liked this post:
Brack (12-27-21)
Old 12-27-21, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sorry I deleted my post because I realized as you said it didn't really make sense.
Sorry, now I feel like an asshole.
Old 12-27-21, 10:58 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I didn’t read the whole thread but thought a lot of the reviews were a bit on the jaded side. This was easily the best Matrix movie outside of the original. To the people who really disliked it, what did you want? This gave me all the feels of the original and in many ways surpassed some of them. Some people can’t be pleased no matter what you give them I suppose.
Action scenes, story beats, and dialogue all felt subpar.
The action being mediocre is what really dragged this down for me. I'll never forgive what they did to the exiles.

This was easily the worst of the 4 in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by JayTL:
mwynn (12-28-21), Wolf359 (12-28-21)
Old 12-27-21, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
But is The Matrix 1999 better that The Nutty Professor 1963?

They both brilliant films

Old 12-27-21, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by JayTL
Action scenes, story beats, and dialogue all felt subpar.
The action being mediocre is what really dragged this down for me. I'll never forgive what they did to the exiles.

This was easily the worst of the 4 in my opinion.
Hard disagree on all accounts. We saw different movies.
Dan (12-27-21)
Old 12-28-21, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
They could have made a movie without the original characters and that would have been okay. I appreciate that they made something different.
Saw this earlier today and I honestly would have enjoyed the film quite a bit more if they went that route. I also wish there was more of Io and the Civil War between the machines.

I really enjoyed the beginning section of the film between Bugs & Morpheus but after that I lost a lot of interest, outside scenes with Neo & Trinity.
Old 12-28-21, 06:11 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Hard disagree on all accounts. We saw different movies.
If you thought the action choreography and the writing wasn't subpar, you might need to see more movies lol.

Don't ask for opposite opinions and then dismiss them as basically saying 'no your opposite opinion is wrong'.
mwynn (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 08:15 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JayTL
If you thought the action choreography and the writing wasn't subpar, you might need to see more movies lol.

Don't ask for opposite opinions and then dismiss them as basically saying 'no your opposite opinion is wrong'.
Also the plot, the editing and lack of weight to any of the fights.
I am just imagining the Pitch Meeting when they get to the rescue of Trinity. "This is not going to be easy" but it was "Super Easy barely an inconvenience."
JayTL (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 09:26 AM

The Matrix Resurrections was going to happen with or without director Lana Wachowski

https://www.joblo.com/the-matrix-resurrections-would-have-happened-without-wachowski/?fbclid=IwAR06z5boUH8b7Qqk6Z_CSN-HSxvvEh9gLrntcGECK_hIhQP7U5nfTyoFJfA

“Look. I think when you’ve had a franchise with that much potential money making capability, there’s always talk. It’s in the same way that the Marvel universe repeats and turns in on itself, or you have Spider-Man, or you have Iron Man, or Thor. There’s always potential to update those movies just because of the possibility of making the money and telling new stories. I shouldn’t say it’s just a purely fiscal thought. But yeah, look, there was versions out there, but they hadn’t landed on the right version. So when Lana eventually came back around and said, “Look. I’m interested in making another movie,” of course, they went with the filmmaker who was the genesis of the Matrix.
Old 12-28-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I feel like if they had not used so many clips from the first movie it would have been better. It beats the rave scene from the sequels and I think it may be better than part 2 or 3 but it was not a great movie. I thought Neil Patrick Harris was pretty good in the movie especially when he does the time rewind parts mid-film but I don't think the movie adds to the lore of the franchise. There were some decent effects but it was hardly groundbreaking. I am sort of shocked that Godzilla pulled better numbers on MAX than this did.

I absolutely hated the way they turned bodies into bombs in the chase scene. I'm not quite sure how this was triggering for 9/11 for me but it was all I could think of when watching that part.

I give it 3/5 which is likely too generous should probably be more of a 2.5/5
Old 12-28-21, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I feel like if they had not used so many clips from the first movie it would have been better. It beats the rave scene from the sequels and I think it may be better than part 2 or 3 but it was not a great movie. I thought Neil Patrick Harris was pretty good in the movie especially when he does the time rewind parts mid-film but I don't think the movie adds to the lore of the franchise. There were some decent effects but it was hardly groundbreaking. I am sort of shocked that Godzilla pulled better numbers on MAX than this did.

I absolutely hated the way they turned bodies into bombs in the chase scene. I'm not quite sure how this was triggering for 9/11 for me but it was all I could think of when watching that part.

It could be a generational thing. Young people gravitated towards GodzillaVKong, while us old farts watched Matrix. Remember, folks that are in their early 20's now weren't alive or were too young for Matrix to have made some sort of cultural impact on them.
Old 12-28-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I think the timing of the pandemic might have helped the numbers on HBO Max for Godzilla vs. Kong. It came out during a time when more people were staying home. There was also still more pent up excitement about the HBO Max releases. I feel like things have cooled since then.
Old 12-28-21, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Also, Christmas weekend. I mean I'm all for R-rated movies with the family but not everyone is on board with that.
Old 12-28-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I read today that Warners still wants to push ahead with another sequel. Maybe they're just trying to gauge interest with that statement, but they've really been throwing money out the window lately. I mean this one cost $150 million before the $100 million or so they spent in marketing. They're going to double down now?
Old 12-28-21, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I read today that Warners still wants to push ahead with another sequel. Maybe they're just trying to gauge interest with that statement, but they've really been throwing money out the window lately. I mean this one cost $150 million before the $100 million or so they spent in marketing. They're going to double down now?
They feel it is a valuable IP, since the others are in so much flux. They will be throwing dirt back on this one soon.
Old 12-28-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb

I didn't hate it, but yeah 9/11 was definitely the first thing that came to mind for me too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.