Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Spider-Man: No Way Home?
27.63%
31.58%
27.63%
10.53%
1.32%
1.32%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I already said it but I wish they could have marketed it without showing Doc Ock and Green Goblin. Once they showed up in trailers it was pretty obvious that the other Spideys would show up even without the rumors. It's really hard to avoid spoilers if you look at any entertainment news. Even if you don't look for it they push it on you and nowadays even the title of the article can be spoiler laden. And a lot of times it's speculation so they don't consider it spoilers since it's not something confirmed. But it still pretty much puts the idea in your head.

Endgame got spoiled for me in the youtube comments of a totally unrelated video. I didn't even know I was reading something MCU related but it basically went through and said everything that happened. I stopped reading immediately when I knew what it was and the movie wasn't released yet so I didn't take it seriously. Until I was actually watching it and the stuff the comment was talking about started to come true so I knew Tony would die in the end. I never understood by Disney released it in China first of all places. Of course they're going to flood the internet with spoilers. It should have been a simultaneous worldwide release. It seems like they are becoming less secretive and worried about giving away plot points. They used to digitally alter the trailers to throw you off and now it seems like they are giving everything away again in the trailers. Especially with Spiderman and the upcoming Dr. Strange. They're even releasing a lot of product with spoilers. Their recent Thor Love and Thunder toy line seems to spoil some plot points and there isn't even a trailer released yet.
Old 04-17-22, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Watching it at home was great - except I really missed the huge pop for Andrew Garfield (and the pop for Tobey Maguire). That was so much fun in the theater.

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie both times. It's so much fun!
The following users liked this post:
tanman (04-17-22)
Old 04-17-22, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 04-18-22, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Only way you could have possibly avoided spoilers is you don’t watch YouTube, you don’t do social media or don’t follow any pop culture or entertainment news sites. And you probably barely watch any TV. Because the home video marketing was all about the 3 Spider-Men.

I was able to avoid spoilers for it until someone in a completely unrelated thread did it...
Old 04-18-22, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I was able to avoid spoilers UNTIL the home video marketing!

prior to a couple weeks ago I only knew that Doc Ock made and appearance and there were rumors of Tobey and Andrew returning. A commercial for the home video release ruined it for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (04-18-22), Superman07 (04-19-22)
Old 04-19-22, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I just saw this for the first time last week and somehow I was able to avoid pretty much all spoilers. Then again, I wasn't really seeking out any info on the movie.
Old 04-19-22, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I already said it but I wish they could have marketed it without showing Doc Ock and Green Goblin. Once they showed up in trailers it was pretty obvious that the other Spideys would show up even without the rumors.
Getting Alfred Molina back for Doc Ock is impressive. I'm pretty sure you didn't see Willem Dafoe in the original trailer so that wasn't confirmed. Getting both Tobey McGuire AND Andrew Garfield back was hardly a given - I didn't think seeing Molina confirmed anything beyond "they got Molina back, that's cool". It's downright incredible they did as much as they did here, and doubly incredible how much the two other Spider-Men are in the movie.

We just rewatched this the other night and I love so much of it but I really love the scene about the organic webshooters. It makes so much sense the other Spider-Men are like "wait, what?" And that's a scene I never thought I'd get outside of fan-fiction. Considering it's in one of the best superhero movies of all time is really something else.
Old 04-26-22, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
Getting Alfred Molina back for Doc Ock is impressive. I'm pretty sure you didn't see Willem Dafoe in the original trailer so that wasn't confirmed. Getting both Tobey McGuire AND Andrew Garfield back was hardly a given - I didn't think seeing Molina confirmed anything beyond "they got Molina back, that's cool". It's downright incredible they did as much as they did here, and doubly incredible how much the two other Spider-Men are in the movie.

We just rewatched this the other night and I love so much of it but I really love the scene about the organic webshooters. It makes so much sense the other Spider-Men are like "wait, what?" And that's a scene I never thought I'd get outside of fan-fiction. Considering it's in one of the best superhero movies of all time is really something else.
Sure it didn't confirm it but once you saw Alfred Molina in the trailer you knew that it involved different universes coming together. Personally to the point where I would have been extremely disappointed if Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield didn't show up. However I was incredibly surprised by just how integral to the plot the four of them were. That I was very happy how it wasn't just a glorified cameo. That it was really integral to the plot and how much it really wrapped up from all three of their stories. And they didn't have Willem in the trailers but they did have his distinct laugh and his pumpkin bomb so it was confirmed.

Think of it this way. How much would your mind have been blown sitting there in the theater and suddenly those metallic tentacles appear and you think "...there's no way..." and sure enough Alfred Molina appears on the big screen. How much more of an impact and a surprise would it have been if it happened that way.
Old 04-26-22, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Think of it this way. How much would your mind have been blown sitting there in the theater and suddenly those metallic tentacles appear and you think "...there's no way..." and sure enough Alfred Molina appears on the big screen. How much more of an impact and a surprise would it have been if it happened that way.
Yeah, I did think of that when watching the scene in the theatre opening night and there wasn't much crowd reaction as, well, we'd seen it in the trailer. (Of course, the crowd reaction would come later at the other reveals)
But I guess the tease of Multiverse also is what put butts in the seats though one could argue a Spidey-flick probably didn't need any help but the marketing of the Sony-verse villains sure didn't hurt the film.

tanman (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Sure it didn't confirm it but once you saw Alfred Molina in the trailer you knew that it involved different universes coming together. Personally to the point where I would have been extremely disappointed if Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield didn't show up. However I was incredibly surprised by just how integral to the plot the four of them were. That I was very happy how it wasn't just a glorified cameo. That it was really integral to the plot and how much it really wrapped up from all three of their stories. And they didn't have Willem in the trailers but they did have his distinct laugh and his pumpkin bomb so it was confirmed.

You’ve got to have something in the trailer to get a reaction. And there were plenty more big moments of surprise. To their credit, they went out of their way to hide pretty much everything else (like removing the Spider-Men from the big shot that showed Sandman and the Lizard too.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
majorjoe23 (04-26-22), tanman (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah I know I totally get the practical reasons for the marketing. And I'm enough of a conspiracy theorist to speculate that the "leaks" of Tobey and Andrew returning were actually from the studio. I know it's a totally different situation since it was a part 2 but I love how little of the actual movie is in the Endgame trailers. I just wish that there were less spoilers for movies in general especially for something as epic as this movie.
Old 05-03-22, 01:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Vudu has a short retrospective (30m) that you can rent for free. Hosted by JB Smoove and Martin Starr if anyone cares to check it out.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...y-Home/2019184
Old 05-04-22, 05:00 PM
Banned

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sony-lose...180433530.html

Well, at least Sony didn’t buckle and remove all scenes with the Statue of Liberty like the Chinese government wanted.
IBJoel (05-04-22)
Old 05-06-22, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm not going to give them too much credit since I don't know how you could remove the Statue of Liberty scenes since it was the entire finale...
Old 05-06-22, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly...
Old 05-07-22, 02:18 AM
Banned

And yet the Chinese government asked for it anyways…
Old 05-11-22, 02:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Okay, this is funny - and well done. Rated R Spider-Man, so spoilerizing it.

NSFW:

Old 05-11-22, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
And yet the Chinese government asked for it anyways…

Umm so you are seriously defending Sony on this?
Old 06-10-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

No Way Home "More Fun Stuff Version" is coming to theaters: https://deadline.com/2022/06/spider-...on-1235043325/

Tickets will go on sale Tuesday August 9 with screenings starting Friday, September 2 (including on PLFs.)

Kinda lacking in details there.
Old 06-11-22, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I'd be down if it's on premium screens, otherwise I can wait. I'm just hoping we get a 16:9 digital release at some point.
Old 06-11-22, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
No Way Home "More Fun Stuff Version" is coming to theaters: https://deadline.com/2022/06/spider-...on-1235043325/

Tickets will go on sale Tuesday August 9 with screenings starting Friday, September 2 (including on PLFs.)

Kinda lacking in details there.
This kind of pisses me off after I already bought the bluray. 😣 will wait till extra scenes inevitably show up on YouTube or something.
Old 06-11-22, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Morbius Bombed, Spider-Verse 2 Isn't Ready Yet and We Need That Spidey Cash Edition
Old 08-19-22, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Tickets go on sale Tuesday for the extended version

Old 08-22-22, 09:16 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 09-02-22, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this got it's re-release and a new post-credit scene adds more info to what the end spell did in regards to erasing Peter Parker.
Spoiler:
The new post-credits scene in Spider-Man: No Way Home shows Betty Brant and Jason Ionello hosting the final news segment of Midtown Technical High School as they will be graduating soon. The news segment is essentially a walk down memory lane and it remembers the main events of the seniors in the last two year. This includes pictures of the Decathalon trip to Washington D.C. during Spider-Man: Homecoming and the trip to Europe during Spider-Man: Far From Home. However, the key difference is that Peter Parker is absent from all those pictures. This explains that Doctor Strange’s Identity Spell didn’t just make people forget Peter Parker. The Spell entirely erased his previous existence as Peter Parker and removed him from every picture as well.

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 09-02-22 at 08:58 PM.
IBJoel (09-02-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.