Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Spider-Man: No Way Home?
27.63%
31.58%
27.63%
10.53%
1.32%
1.32%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 07:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

This exchange made me smile/chuckle:

Peter Parker (AG): I don't know how to work as a team.

Peter Parker (TM): Me either.

Peter Parker(TH): Well, I do. I have been in a team, okay? I don't wanna brag, but I will. I was in the Avengers.

Peter Parker(AG): The Avengers?

Peter Parker(TH): Yeah.

Peter Parker(TM): That's great!

Peter Parker(TH): Thank you!

Peter Parker(TM): What is that?

Peter Parker(TH): Wait, you don't have the Avengers?

Peter Parker(AG): Is that a band? Are you in a band?
The following 8 users liked this post by Thos19:
ddrknghtrtns (12-20-21), DJariya (12-20-21), majorjoe23 (12-20-21), Red Hood (12-21-21), stingermck (12-20-21), story (12-20-21), tanman (12-21-21), Trevor (12-20-21) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021, D: Watts) - S: Tom Holland - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik
You're right, a standalone Spider-Man movie would work just fine, and it would actually be a VERY good thing at this point. Scale it back, make it more like the Spider-Man comics of the 60's and 70's. Ground the series in, "Reality," a little more - make it less cosmic, less global.

HOWEVER, Sony proved that they couldn't do Spider-Man right once he was a success. It was studio interference that knocked Spider-Man 3 down a notch from what it could have been, and they totally botched the Garfield era. Domestically, this movie has taken in IN ONE WEEKEND more than TASM2 took in in it's entire run!

Sony would be foolish to go it alone again. But corporate/studio egos being what they are I could see someone there thinking that they could do it just fine on their own.
I think at this point people are going to look at MCU Movies and Marvel Movies made by other studios the same way we go to the grocery store and look at name brand products and store brand products. The store brand products are always going to be viewed as the inferior product even though the quality at times could be exactly the same. The same thing will happen with non MCU Marvel movies.
Old 12-20-21, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Now that the initial excitement has worn off I have a few things that kind of bugged me:

They came one member shy of the Sinister Six. This also goes hand in hand with the next issue.
Tom Holland’s Spider-Man didn’t have a villain of his own. Why tease Scorpion if you weren’t going to use him? No Shocker either. Both could have been easy throwaway members of the group. I’ll admit I really expected Vulture to appear at the Statue Of Liberty. Not really to assist the Spider-Men, but more along the lines of this ones mine kinda thing.
Ugh Venom. I think the anti- hero villain shtick is lame and unfortunately Sony is really pushing this. Venom, Morbius and Kraven next.

If they continue on with Holland, I hope the training wheels are off. No more mentors, just be Spider-Man doing your own thing in your solo movies.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Now that the initial excitement has worn off I have a few things that kind of bugged me:

They came one member shy of the Sinister Six. This also goes hand in hand with the next issue.
Tom Holland’s Spider-Man didn’t have a villain of his own. Why tease Scorpion if you weren’t going to use him? No Shocker either. Both could have been easy throwaway members of the group. I’ll admit I really expected Vulture to appear at the Statue Of Liberty. Not really to assist the Spider-Men, but more along the lines of this ones mine kinda thing.
Ugh Venom. I think the anti- hero villain shtick is lame and unfortunately Sony is really pushing this. Venom, Morbius and Kraven next.

If they continue on with Holland, I hope the training wheels are off. No more mentors, just be Spider-Man doing your own thing in your solo movies.

Yeah, it's kind of awkward. It's the Sinister FIVE instead of the Six. I know Vulture is in a cameo for Morbius, but considering how delayed that film is (almost 2 years now?) wonder if that cameo was filmed during this one's re-shoots to closely match up on the events.
Old 12-20-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Doctor Strange casted a spell that made everyone forget about the Tom Holland Peter Parker, does that mean the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield Spider-Men will only remember meeting another universe's Spider-Man, but no longer know that it was that universe's Peter Parker but think that it was somebody other than Peter Parker that they interacted with before going back to their own universes?
Old 12-20-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
If Doctor Strange casted a spell that made everyone forget about the Tom Holland Peter Parker, does that mean the Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield Spider-Men will only remember meeting another universe's Spider-Man, but no longer know that it was that universe's Peter Parker but think that it was somebody other than Peter Parker that they interacted with before going back to their own universes?
It was a spell for everyone on the one specific world in one specific universe. So I would think they would remember.
Old 12-20-21, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

So this was the one to finally pull me back into a theater for the first time since COVID. Thought I’d hit a Monday morning screening to avoid a crowd, but nope, the theater was packed and possibly sold out. They’ve got screenings starting every 20 minutes today and it looks like most of them will be close to selling out.

As for the movie, I’m mixed on it. The emotional notes were just about perfect, but parts of the story felt sloppy to me. I guess they haven’t expounded on what exactly the public is privy to, but it sure came off silly to have so much of the public turn on Spidey because of the Mysterio video. Ned being able to open portals was goofy. The Cap shield Statue of Liberty was dumb. Strange not being able to free himself and get back to the gang until the big showdown was lazy plotting.

Also, now that we know Strange has such a powerful forgetting spell, why didn’t he just make everyone except for a handful of Avengers forget the infinity stones back in Endgame? I think the further they go at this point, the more these movies are going to end up making events/choices/etc from previous films seem, at best, lower stakes than initially presented.

Criticisms aside, they nailed the big moments and the performances were mostly great. I can see why people will love this and agree it’s a lot of fun, but it left me a bit less optimistic about the MCU’s ability to keep chugging along at the same general high level of quality.
spainlinx0 (12-22-21)
Old 12-20-21, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

My favorite of the Holland movies is still the first one (Homecoming) only because of the wonderful character moments and probably the best Marvel villain ever in Michael Keaton's Vulture. It felt like a true Spider-Man tale, if refracted through a strong MCU prism.

NO WAY HOME -- which I really enjoyed the hell out of -- was more of a great big amazing action MCU splashtacular with multdimensional goodies and also other things. Not quite a Spider-Man movie in the traditional sense, and maybe that worked in its favor. This was big and bold and flashy and massively earth-shattering, but it didn't have the total emotional immediacy of a Spider-Man 2 or Homecoming. I think Into The Spider-Verse managed that balance with much more skill.

It's still freakin' awesome as hell, don't get me wrong -- a strong 4 out of 5, maybe even a 4.25 if we counted such things (and I'm glad we don't).

Here's my current Spidey rankings, not that anyone asked:

1. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Spider-Man: No Way Home
5. Spider-Man
6. Spider-Man: Far From Home
7. Amazing Spider-Man
8. Spider-Man 3
9. Amazing Spider-Man 2

Those first six are exemplary, IMO. Even #7 is pretty good too. The last two though...

Old 12-20-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maxfisher
So this was the one to finally pull me back into a theater for the first time since COVID. Thought I’d hit a Monday morning screening to avoid a crowd, but nope, the theater was packed and possibly sold out. They’ve got screenings starting every 20 minutes today and it looks like most of them will be close to selling out.

Also, now that we know Strange has such a powerful forgetting spell, why didn’t he just make everyone except for a handful of Avengers forget the infinity stones back in Endgame? I think the further they go at this point, the more these movies are going to end up making events/choices/etc from previous films seem, at best, lower stakes than initially presented.
Or better yet, why not make Thanos forget about the Infinity Stones long before he acquired them. We could have avoided the whole Infinity War saga and all the mayhem that led up to it.
Old 12-20-21, 05:57 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Say it today, remained pretty much spoiler free (except for Aunt May dying) and loved every minute of it.

My 17yo old son and I joked about it being sustainable cinema… all reused and recycled characters/actors and nothing out of the ordinarily “new” (just updated like costumes)… and it all worked.

My 21yo daughter is convinced that there are two Dr. Strange’s in this since MJ found the “hair color for men” box. She thinks that “Dark Strange” was at the beginning and botched the spell on purpose. I disagreed. Dr. Strange just wanted to recapture his youth from his grayness.

Thoughts on why the hair color stuff is there?
IBJoel (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

If that was the case, then good Dr. Strange would be asking who the hell cast the spell. He didn’t. He just kept trying to stop the spell from getting free for the rest of the movie.
B5Erik (12-20-21)
Old 12-21-21, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Say it today, remained pretty much spoiler free (except for Aunt May dying) and loved every minute of it.

My 17yo old son and I joked about it being sustainable cinema… all reused and recycled characters/actors and nothing out of the ordinarily “new” (just updated like costumes)… and it all worked.

My 21yo daughter is convinced that there are two Dr. Strange’s in this since MJ found the “hair color for men” box. She thinks that “Dark Strange” was at the beginning and botched the spell on purpose. I disagreed. Dr. Strange just wanted to recapture his youth from his grayness.

Maybe just as a joke? That's what I took it as. But now that your daughter mentions it if he really is coloring it then why keep his hair grey at his temples? I know that's more comic book accurate but still.
Old 12-21-21, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I thought it was spectacular, amazing (did anyone catch that when they Tobey and Tom where telling Andrew he was amazing ) I loved the little interactions like this. I think that's what really made the movie. Also, as someone had already mentioned, how all the characters were so faithful to their origins. It really was a continuation of all the characters. As a side note I only watched the MCU Spider-Man movies and I'm amazed how much I actually remember from the other 5 movies. There were some clunky plot points. I really didn't like how he just decided to gather all of the villains in Happy's apartment. Just seemed like a really idiotic decision from a smart character solely to move the plot forward. It did bother me how there were only 5 villains. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and for them to introduce someone else. I mean the movie worked fine without a 6th but it just felt like an empty hole. I agree with whoever said the CGI was pretty terrible for Lizard and Sandman. But that kind of fits with that universe too doesn't it? I'm still amazed at how they were able to get so many people back in this film. And how they treated each character with a level of respect that frequently surpassed the original film they were in. I'm kind of glad we're in an era of film making where the talent seems to have fun with their roles. There seem to be less diva attitudes in actors not wanting to reprise roles because they feel it's beneath them. As amazing as it was seeing all the previous villains and of course all three Spider-men I think the stand out scene was the last scene in the movie where Peter finds and confronts MJ and Ned. I think Tom Holland did such a great job relaying his inner struggle as he weighs the choice of introducing himself and trying to regain his previous life vs the much tougher choice of letting his friends go out of his love for them because he knows that at least for right now that's the best choice for them. It was a really heart wrenching scene.

One thing that really surprised me is how sad the movie was. Yeah there were some funny scenes (most kind of forced IMO) and a lot of action and fan service. But overall it was a really sad film. Peter really lost a lot in this movie and almost everything that was established in his entire MCU run up until this point was all pretty much erased.

One thing I really wish is that the marketing department had kept a lot more under wraps. I wish they took Endgame levels of secrecy when it came to the plot. It kind of felt like a checklist of "surprises" and fan service that we all knew was coming. They should have just marketed it as Dr. Strange trying to undo Mysterios reveal with magic and left it at that. Shouldn't have teased Molina returning as Doc Ock because once that was on the table everything else was too. ESPECIALLY since this was a multiverse movie that actually came to fruition. It wasn't like Pietro in Wandavision that just turned out to be a boner joke. Just saying it would have hit even harder if the whole movie was a surprise.
Old 12-21-21, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

It's not a hair color box it's a goatee shaper kit.
IBJoel (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 09:41 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
It's not a hair color box it's a goatee shaper kit.
Okay. That makes sense. I’ll pay better attention when I watch it next time.
Old 12-21-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
I thought it was spectacular, amazing (did anyone catch that when they Tobey and Tom where telling Andrew he was amazing ) I loved the little interactions like this. I think that's what really made the movie. Also, as someone had already mentioned, how all the characters were so faithful to their origins. It really was a continuation of all the characters. As a side note I only watched the MCU Spider-Man movies and I'm amazed how much I actually remember from the other 5 movies. There were some clunky plot points. I really didn't like how he just decided to gather all of the villains in Happy's apartment. Just seemed like a really idiotic decision from a smart character solely to move the plot forward. It did bother me how there were only 5 villains. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and for them to introduce someone else. I mean the movie worked fine without a 6th but it just felt like an empty hole. I agree with whoever said the CGI was pretty terrible for Lizard and Sandman. But that kind of fits with that universe too doesn't it? I'm still amazed at how they were able to get so many people back in this film. And how they treated each character with a level of respect that frequently surpassed the original film they were in. I'm kind of glad we're in an era of film making where the talent seems to have fun with their roles. There seem to be less diva attitudes in actors not wanting to reprise roles because they feel it's beneath them. As amazing as it was seeing all the previous villains and of course all three Spider-men I think the stand out scene was the last scene in the movie where Peter finds and confronts MJ and Ned. I think Tom Holland did such a great job relaying his inner struggle as he weighs the choice of introducing himself and trying to regain his previous life vs the much tougher choice of letting his friends go out of his love for them because he knows that at least for right now that's the best choice for them. It was a really heart wrenching scene.

One thing that really surprised me is how sad the movie was. Yeah there were some funny scenes (most kind of forced IMO) and a lot of action and fan service. But overall it was a really sad film. Peter really lost a lot in this movie and almost everything that was established in his entire MCU run up until this point was all pretty much erased.

One thing I really wish is that the marketing department had kept a lot more under wraps. I wish they took Endgame levels of secrecy when it came to the plot. It kind of felt like a checklist of "surprises" and fan service that we all knew was coming. They should have just marketed it as Dr. Strange trying to undo Mysterios reveal with magic and left it at that. Shouldn't have teased Molina returning as Doc Ock because once that was on the table everything else was too. ESPECIALLY since this was a multiverse movie that actually came to fruition. It wasn't like Pietro in Wandavision that just turned out to be a boner joke. Just saying it would have hit even harder if the whole movie was a surprise.
But the studio wants to generate buzz for the movie and want people to go see it in the theaters. If they don't advertise Doc Ock and others that are going to be in it, people may not be talking about the movie and will be less likely to go see it.
Old 12-21-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
It was a spell for everyone on the one specific world in one specific universe. So I would think they would remember.
did they say in the movie that it was just the one specific universe. I remember Peter saying to Strange that he has to make everyone forget about Peter Parker, but didn't recall him saying just everyone in that one specific universe though unless I missed it. I wonder if this means that Doctor Strange will also forget about Peter Parker at some point after casting the spell.
Old 12-21-21, 10:34 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

It takes a special kind of sequel to advance the plot, be a good movie, and also make the prequels something you'd want to revisit.
I absolutely adored this movie. The action, and the humor was top-tier. The actual story was okay, But I do think this might be my favorite Comic book movie ever.

It's definitely top 5

I wonder if anyone Off-world would remember Parker (Captain marvel, Fury, etc)
Old 12-21-21, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

did they say in the movie that it was just the one specific universe. I remember Peter saying to Strange that he has to make everyone forget about Peter Parker, but didn't recall him saying just everyone in that one specific universe though unless I missed it. I wonder if this means that Doctor Strange will also forget about Peter Parker at some point after casting the spell.
Originally Posted by JayTL
I wonder if anyone Off-world would remember Parker (Captain marvel, Fury, etc)

I took it as EVERYONE across any universe would forget about Holland's Peter Parker (that he ever existed, not just that he was Spider-Man). Remember, the connections to other universes were opening because people there were all coming for the MCU's Peter Parker (the focus of the spell).

(Also, I accidentally selected 3.5 instead of 4 stars in the poll vote. Sorry!)

​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Boy Laroux:
JayTL (12-21-21), story (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 12:14 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

(Also, I accidentally selected 3.5 instead of 4 stars in the poll vote. Sorry!)
*sigh* dex14, we need to run the poll again...

​​​​​​​(I also agree with you on the "Everyone" piece.)
Old 12-21-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm surprised more people aren't pissed off that they killed sexy Aunt May.
Red Hood (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

I think if it's everyone on all Earths, it doesn't effect Peter Parkers. So if they bring back Maguire/Garfield for (rumored) Secret Wars, they won't have to spend time re-explaining to them what the score is.
Old 12-21-21, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm surprised more people aren't pissed off that they killed sexy Aunt May.
Hot May would have been the most affected by everyone forgetting Parker.
I'm still a little miffed that Tony Stark's legacy is kinda just...gone lol...but I guess he could tell people his identity (I'm sure Pepper would appreciate it)
Old 12-21-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, with Strange's spell no one remembers Peter Parker. We would have to assume that the spell also erases/ changes newspapers that revealed his identity, JJ's video blogs, etc as well as erasing people's memories. Does this also mean Peter Parker doesn't have a Social Security card, birth certificate, etc. Did he no longer have school records that showed he attended public schools including Midtown High? Did all his clothes and belongings disappear from Aunt May's house after the spell was done? If so, then he would have needed to create a Peter Parker identity with a fake birth certificate as well as other documents. At the end of the movie, in his apartment, it did show he had a GED book which would suggest that his previous high school credits/records no longer exist. But you would think if he could fake a birth certificate he could easily fake a high school diploma as well.
Old 12-21-21, 02:17 PM

So, with Strange's spell no one remembers Peter Parker. We would have to assume that the spell also erases/ changes newspapers that revealed his identity, JJ's video blogs, etc as well as erasing people's memories. Does this also mean Peter Parker doesn't have a Social Security card, birth certificate, etc. Did he no longer have school records that showed he attended public schools including Midtown High? Did all his clothes and belongings disappear from Aunt May's house after the spell was done? If so, then he would have needed to create a Peter Parker identity with a fake birth certificate as well as other documents. At the end of the movie, in his apartment, it did show he had a GED book which would suggest that his previous high school credits/records no longer exist. But you would think if he could fake a birth certificate he could easily fake a high school diploma as well.
He had a GED book in his apartment at the end. I think his memory disappeared from existence. I don't know what happened to the display at the school though. Probably confuse some people
IBJoel (12-21-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.