Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Incal (D: Waititi) -- based on the graphic novel by Jodorowsky and Moebius

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-04-21, 08:47 AM

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Oscar winner Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit, Reservation Dogs) has signed on to direct the first feature adaptation of Alejandro Jodorowsky and Mœbius’ bestselling graphic novel, The Incal, for Humanoids and Primer Entertainment.

Waititi will also co-write the script for the project, marking Humanoids’ first foray into film, with his frequent collaborator Jemaine Clement (What We Do in the Shadows, Flight of the Conchords) and Peter Warren (Ghost Team, The History of Us).

The Incal is an epic space opera centered on shabby P.I. John Difool, who happens upon a mystical artifact known as the Incal—an object of great power coveted by many factions across the galaxy. As Difool learns of the Incal’s powers and purpose, he—along with a ragtag crew of unlikely cohorts—reluctantly embarks on what begins as an improbable mission to save the universe, and slowly becomes a spiritual journey examining the duality and meaning of existence.

Filmmaker/writer Jodorowsky and French artist Mœbius unveiled the Humanoids title at the end of the 1970s, seeing it go on to become the highest-selling sci-fi graphic novel in history. It serves as the foundation of the “Jodoverse,” which encompasses bestselling comic book series including The Metabarons and Megalex, and may be further explored by the company via additional films at a later date.

“The films and graphic novels of Alejandro Jodorowsky have influenced me and so many others for so long,” said Waititi. “I was stunned to be given the opportunity to bring his iconic characters to life and I am grateful to Alejandro, Fabrice and everyone at HUMANOIDS for trusting me to do so.”

“When Humanoids’ CEO Fabrice Giger introduced me to Taika Waititi’s work, it became obvious to me that he was the one,” said Jodorowsky. “I fully trust Taika’s creativity to give THE INCAL a stunning take, intimate and at the same time of cosmic proportions.”

Added Giger: “It began as the adventures of a jackass named John Difool, and then it became something else—we called it THE INCAL—something that has transformed everything it’s ever touched and continues to do so: its creators, the other artists who later became a part of John’s journey, its publisher HUMANOIDS and myself in the process, countless readers, writers and directors around the world, and soon, I believe, the great Taika Waititi himself and everyone who looks to him for inspiration.”

Humanoids’ producing partner, Primer—led by David Jourdan—acquired a stake in the publishing house in 2019, and brought in a multi-million-dollar development fund to partner on a slate. This fund has helped jumpstart the company’s production efforts, as it look to draw on a catalogue of IP by artists and writers including John Cassaday, Milo Manara, Mark Waid and Robert Silverberg, among others.

Humanoids will announce additional partnerships, pertaining to The Incal‘s distribution and release, at a later date. Waititi and Jodorowsky tease the film in the video above.

Waititi is represented by CAA and Manage-ment; Clement by UTA and Yorn, Barnes, Levine; Warren by WME and Manage-ment.
https://deadline.com/2021/11/taika-w...lm-1234867589/
Old 11-04-21, 09:43 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: The Incal (D: Waititi) -- based on the graphic novel by Jodorowsky and Moebius

Looks interesting. I'm not familiar with the graphic novel, but I'm up for anything involving Waititi.
Old 11-04-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: The Incal (D: Waititi) -- based on the graphic novel by Jodorowsky and Moebius

This is basically as closest as we will ever get to an actual Dune film from Jodorowsky but directed by Waititi.
Old 11-04-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,481 Posts

When it first came out I thought the Fifth Element was a loose adaptation of the Incal. It's technically not but that's how far out the story/setting is, and the only way I can see this working as a movie is if they streamline it a ton. It's somewhat similar to the difficulty in adapting Foundation (even though the works are distinct).
Old 11-04-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,873 Posts

The Incal is so singularly a graphic novel and the vision of Moebius that I think it's going to be next to impossible to translate into a live-action film.
Old 11-04-21, 01:42 PM

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Old 11-04-21, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,449 Likes on 922 Posts

I'm curious. The graphic novel was well-regarded back in the day. All I saw of it was a few pages at a time when I saw a copy of Heavy Metal.
Old 11-04-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'm curious. The graphic novel was well-regarded back in the day. All I saw of it was a few pages at a time when I saw a copy of Heavy Metal.
They go on sale on comixology all the time. In fact (probably related) they're on sale now with the first Incal volume only .99:

https://www.comixology.com/The-Incal...XJpZXNTbGlkZXI
Old 11-05-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
When it first came out I thought the Fifth Element was a loose adaptation of the Incal.
Moebius did concept art for The Fifth Element.

To be honest I didn't know that before reading up on Incal and Moebius on Wikipedia.

Sounds great!
Old 11-05-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Moebius did concept art for The Fifth Element.

To be honest I didn't know that before reading up on Incal and Moebius on Wikipedia.

Sounds great!
Yup, and Besson said Moebius was one of his inspirations for the Fifth Element (no mention of Jodorowsky though).
Old 11-05-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yup, and Besson said Moebius was one of his inspirations for the Fifth Element (no mention of Jodorowsky though).
Here's a wikipedia entry on the legal issues:

The publishers sued Luc Besson, director of The Fifth Element (1997), claiming that the film borrowed graphic and story elements from The Incal, but lost their case.[2][26][31] In an interview given to Chilean newspaper The Clinic, Jodorowsky claimed that neither he nor Moebius actually sued Besson, but instead that the lawsuit was filed by the editor of the comic series. He further claimed that the case was lost because Moebius "betrayed them" by working directly with Besson on the production of the film.[32] In a 2002 interview with the Danish comic book magazine Strip!, Jodorowsky considered it an honour that somebody stole his ideas.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incal