Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite non-dialogue scene/moment?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your favorite non-dialogue scene/moment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 635 Posts
Re: Your favorite non-dialogue scene/moment?

Old 10-20-21, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The opening 10 minutes to UP.
Such an incredible piece of cinema. A microcosm of a couples life.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
So many people criticize that scene but it’s a wonderfully scored scene and really shows how much both Kirk and Scotty both love and respect the Enterprise.
People criticize that scene? I've never really heard it. It's the best scene in the whole movie. Might be one of the best in the franchise.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I’d like to give a shout-out to Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp. I know Luke and Yoda have an exchange afterwards but it could have been left out and worked even better.
This dialogue? Are you kidding me? It's the single best scene in the entire series IMHO. The dialogue is precise and very well written and performed. Sums up both Luke (at this point in his journey) and Yoda character very poignantly.

[Luke's X-wing sinks into the swamp]
Luke Skywalker: We'll never get it out now!
Yoda: So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?
Luke Skywalker: Master, moving stones around is one thing. This is totally different.
Yoda: No! No different! Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned.
Luke Skywalker: Alright, I'll give it a try.
Yoda: No! Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.
[Luke concentrates, and the X-wing begins to rise out of the swamp. A moment later, however, it sinks the rest of the way, with Yoda and R2-D2 both expressing their disappointment.]
Luke Skywalker: [tired] I can't. It's too big.
Yoda: Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you, hmm? And well you should not, for my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. [looks around him] Life creates it. Makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us, and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Everywhere. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere. Yes, even between the land and the ship.
Luke Skywalker: You want the impossible. [starts to walk away]
[Yoda sighs, then concentrates on the ship. Using the Force, he raises it out of the swamp and places it safely on dry land, then looks back to Luke.]
Luke Skywalker: [astonished] I don't believe it!
Yoda: That is why you fail.
Old 10-20-21, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The opening scene to Contact.

The following users liked this post:
jpcamb (10-25-21)
Old 10-20-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 10-21-21, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
So, was just watching Last of the Mohicans and it contains one of my all time favorite sequences in film which is the final "chase" all the way to the final confrontation with Magua and Chingachgook. The driving score and visceral action are made even better since there is no dialogue, it's all conveyed with powerful imagery.

So, what is your favorite sequence or single scene in film that features no dialogue?
Kind of similar, although not a great movie as a whole, but there is a dialogue-less chase scene in The Hunted at the end between Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro, mentor vs student. Great scenery with a river and waterfall (I'm guessing it was the Columbia River Gorge).
Goonies85 (10-21-21)
Old 10-21-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

The opening of The Mechanic with Charles Bronson.

Old 10-21-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Quatermass (10-22-21)
Old 10-21-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

It's less than two seconds, but I have always loved the look on Kevin Bacon's face in "A Few Good Men" after Jack has confessed to the Code Red. It's an expression of disbelief that says "Holy shit, Kaffey, you got it outta him."
Old 10-22-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,041 Likes on 786 Posts

Yeah, I think it's understated how many times great acting is just a look or a reaction. That's why I posted the George Clooney bit above. It may not have been in the spirit of the thread because there's definite dialogue going on in that scene, but just the way he reacts to Keitel standing up to him shows so much about the character and how he's ready to explode at any minute over even the smallest slight.
Old 10-22-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
End of The Station Agent. Dinklage, Cannavale, and Clarkson just sitting there in silence. In renewed friendship. Almost exhausted. Perfect ending to a great film.
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Wow. 3 in a row, that I absolutely loved!

It feels like cheating, but I'd also add the heist scene in Rififi.
Old 10-23-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

How could I forget this...

"Master & Commander," the Cape Horn hurricane scene, when Master Allen brings up the axes and Aubrey gives one to Nagel. Nagel's reaction, followed by Aubrey, them cutting the ropes and Warley cut loose. The soundtrack kicks in, the camera pulling back as Warley drifts away to oblivion and the grief on the deck by the officers and Nagel at what they had done.

That movie is just genius.

Old 10-23-21, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the opening sequence in There Will be Blood.

And in a far less classic movie, I’ll add the first few minutes of Disney’s Dinosaur before the Dino’s start talking. It’s about a 10 minute opening sequence with no dialogue. The movie would have been better, IMO, if they had made the rest of the movie like the first few minutes.
tanman (10-25-21)
Old 10-23-21, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

There's dialogue, yet there isn't.

andicus (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Terminator 2

Old 10-25-21, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the opening sequence in There Will be Blood.

And in a far less classic movie, I’ll add the first few minutes of Disney’s Dinosaur before the Dino’s start talking. It’s about a 10 minute opening sequence with no dialogue. The movie would have been better, IMO, if they had made the rest of the movie like the first few minutes.
Oh that's a good one. I remember that whole opening scene was shown before release either as a trailer or some special sneak peak and it made me really excited for the movie. Especially how realistic it looked (of course because they placed CGI animated characters over live action backgrounds which has to make it one of the most unique movies ever). Then I watched the movie and thought The Land Before Time did it better 25 years ago.