Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Black Widow?
5 stars
3.95%
4 3/4 stars
0%
4 1/2 stars
5.26%
4 stars
26.32%
3 3/4 stars
9.21%
3 1/2 stars
18.42%
3 stars
18.42%
2 3/4 stars
3.95%
2 1/2 stars
5.26%
2 stars
5.26%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
2.63%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
She's dead. Who cares??
1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 933 Likes on 689 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Not a single MCU film since Ant-Man has made less than $500 mil ww. There is no way this wouldn’t have made at least that.
IYO is it due to the pandemic or do you think 200m+ worth of tickets sales were due to pirates? You can't really blame D+ since it was at a price higher than a theater ticket. She's suing due to the streaming release when the pandemic was by far the factor which effected the film the most, IMO.

Also, no other MCU film has been about a dead character who has zero super powers, which didn't even give any glimpse into the Phase's future via end credit scenes.
The following users liked this post:
lopper (07-30-21)
Old 07-29-21, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Originally Posted by Noonan
IYO is it due to the pandemic or do you think 200m+ worth of tickets sales were due to pirates? You can't really blame D+ since it was at a price higher than a theater ticket. She's suing due to the streaming release when the pandemic was by far the factor which effected the film the most, IMO.

Also, no other MCU film has been about a dead character who has zero super powers, which didn't even give any glimpse into the Phase's future via end credit scenes.
Yeah, but one $30 PVOD purchase still cost them millions. Say you bought it for your family of 4. That's $30 for 4 people. Money lost. Then say your brother or sister wants to see it, you could just share your Disney + Password and let them watch it for "free"

Or you could invite 10 of your co-workers and buddies to your house and all watch it together. Again money lost. You only spent $30 and shared it for free with people you know. That's like 15 people who got to see it for free based on only you spending $30.
Old 07-29-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah, but one $30 PVOD purchase still cost them millions. Say you bought it for your family of 4. That's $30 for 4 people. Money lost. Then say your brother or sister wants to see it, you could just share your Disney + Password and let them watch it for "free"

Or you could invite 10 of your co-workers and buddies to your house and all watch it together. Again money lost. You only spent $30 and shared it for free with people you know. That's like 15 people who got to see it for free based on only you spending $30.
You're assuming that everyone one of those people would have otherwise paid for a ticket, which isn't a good assumption. Nor is the idea that everyone does shady stuff like that (sharing passwords). Considering the pandemic, I'd wager that a lot of the people who saw it on D+ just wouldn't have seen it till a disc release if there was only theater options, myself included.
Deftones (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 01:56 PM

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,120 Posts

I don't think you can just point to one thing. But regardless, the claim is her contract that she signed was for a theatrical release, not a theatrical + day and date release. Disney broke terms of the contract. This is what everyone was flipping out about when Warner Brothers announced all of their 2021 movies would be going ton HBO Max. Except WB put out fires by paying hundred of millions of dollars to their talent to make up for the loss of box office.
General audiences don't care. They are buying the Marvel brand. To continue to think this would've made less than $500mil under normal circumstances is beyond ludicrous. You think this was going to make the same amount as the first Captain America? Look at these BO numbers: https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...se#tab=summary
Old 07-29-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 346 Posts

If she loses her lawsuit she will have to star in DC movies as punishment.
Old 07-29-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To continue to think this would've made less than $500mil under normal circumstances is beyond ludicrous. You think this was going to make the same amount as the first Captain America? Look at these BO numbers: https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...se#tab=summary
I actually do. Dr Strange was under 700m and the 2nd Antman was barely over 600. Based on that alone and the quality/characters in the film, I'd guess this would have done under 500 regardless. The character is boring and not one that MCU fans were dying to see a movie for.

But it's all speculation at this point. If the suit is just based on contract wording, then she should try to get her bag. But to say it lost hundreds of millions in revenue due to D+ streaming is something I find hilarious.
Old 07-29-21, 02:06 PM

The character is boring and not one that MCU fans were dying to see a movie for.
I don't think you can speak for all MCU fans on this.

But to say it lost hundreds of millions in revenue due to D+ streaming is something I find hilarious.
She's not the only one who thinks so...

Imax Boss Says “Cannibalization” Hurt ‘Black Widow’, Thinks Disney Will Return To Theatrical Window Releases
https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-w...nd-1234801015/

Movie Theater Owners Blame Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ Box Office ‘Collapse’ on Disney Plus Launch
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/m...us-1235022524/
Old 07-29-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She's not the only one who thinks so...

Imax Boss Says “Cannibalization” Hurt ‘Black Widow’, Thinks Disney Will Return To Theatrical Window Releases
https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-w...nd-1234801015/

Movie Theater Owners Blame Marvel’s ‘Black Widow’ Box Office ‘Collapse’ on Disney Plus Launch
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/m...us-1235022524/
Doesn't mean they're correct! And of course movie theater owners are going to blame streaming for their poor performance. lmao

Guess we'll see how Jungle Cruise fairs in the coming couple weeks. Quality film that many people have been waiting to see.
Old 07-29-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Not a single MCU film since Ant-Man has made less than $500 mil ww. There is no way this wouldn’t have made at least that. Only 3 of their films were less and those were in Phase 1.
Yeah there was no way this wasn’t going to be a good-to-great release in “normal times”. She’s a popular actor playing a popular character in an MCU movie.

The article I read said that her people tried to renegotiate when the streaming plan was finalized (which was not the original contract) and they got no response. So yeah, she should sue the shit out of them.

I fully supported streaming it but not at the expense of the actor playing the character who’s the entire reason I wanted to see the film. I just assumed she’d been compensated and it’s shitty that she hasn’t.
DJariya (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Wonder Woman 1984 was a massive money loser for WB. Yes, it's not a good movie and was released at probably the worst time in the pandemic. But at least WB from what I read compensated Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins for it's move to streaming.

I think Chapek has been a disaster running Disney, especially with him trying to low ball talent like this.

I hope that The Rock and Emily Blunt will be fairly compensated or have the language in the deals to be compensated for Jungle Cruise because that was shot pre-pandemic and he's producer of that movie along with his ex wife. They don't want to fuck over probably the most popular male movie star in Hollywood right now.
Old 07-29-21, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I hope that The Rock and Emily Blunt will be fairly compensated or have the language in the deals to be compensated for Jungle Cruise because that was shot pre-pandemic and he's producer of that movie along with his ex wife. They don't want to fuck over probably the most popular male movie star in Hollywood right now.
At the time of signing his contract with Disney, it was the "biggest contract of his career."

I read this the other day:
Johnson says that after finishing Jungle Cruise, he and Blunt continued to consult with each other about how to handle production during the pandemic and how to manage their deals — which often have been linked to box office — amid the changing release strategies. “We’re all trying to figure it out,” Johnson says. “Emily and I have had this conversation about how one thing will impact another, these dollars are dollars now and then down the line. It’s an important conversation for us to have.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...se-1234984896/

It'll be interesting to see if anything came of talks with Disney, or if they will be following ScarJo in filing suit.

Edit... I just read this:
Meanwhile, we hear that the Johnson and Seven Bucks camp don’t plan a similar attack on Disney like Johansson as they stood alongside the studio in the dynamic window plant for Jungle Cruise to get it before as many people as they could during Covid. Johnson even announced the theatrical-Disney+ Premier release on his social media channels about Jungle Cruise. That movie is set to open to $65M this weekend at the global box office.

Last edited by dex14; 07-29-21 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-29-21, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Disney blasts Scar Jo's lawsuit

https://www.thewrap.com/disney-to-bl...ion-is-plenty/

“There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of ‘Black Widow’ on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date,” a Walt Disney Company spokesperson said.

Old 07-29-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts

I heard the real issue was ScarJo wanted to play ALL the characters in Black Widow. Disney blocked that..
Old 07-29-21, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Seems like this is going to get ugly fast. Guess I’m glad that Black Widow was killed off in Endgame, and that she got her solo film. Doubt she’ll return in any capacity now.
Old 07-29-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Seems like this is going to get ugly fast. Guess I’m glad that Black Widow was killed off in Endgame, and that she got her solo film. Doubt she’ll return in any capacity now.
I assume that's how Disney looks at it as well. She's done with Marvel, they don't have to negotiate with her anymore.

Also, Disney's response sounded weirdly petty for a corporation that size.
IBJoel (07-30-21)
Old 07-29-21, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 831 Likes on 550 Posts

Good for her. I’m sure she won’t win, but this day one streaming is BS.
IBJoel (07-30-21)
Old 07-29-21, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The facts:

The pandemic has a monumental effect on box office returns... or lack there of.

Scarlett has waited years to get the big bucks from her solo movie outing.

Disney and other studios are screwing box office profits over by releasing same day on streaming. That being said, no guarantee of box office in the same league as pre-pandemic.

Movie released pre-pandemic would have made significantly more. (I personally found the movie average at best, but the Marvel machine is set to generate $500 million + with pretty much everything these days).

Scarlett will have had a massive back end profits deal, and Disney has tried screwing her over by releasing streaming.

Both Disney and ScarJo have parted ways, so both will feel like the gloves can be off for this.

--------------‐-----

Scarlett has done something quite predictable here, and she will try and make herself a martyr for future celebs to try and get deals that pay them fairly going forward. I am guessing that Disney will end up throwing some more money her way and be done with it all. Sounds like they are changing the way they deal with actors and their contracts now, so i expect little chance of anyone getting Downey Jnr money again any time soon.

How long before Brie Larson tries pulling some shit like this. Lol
Old 07-29-21, 07:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I wish I cared for her or Disney. How much money is enough for these people?
Old 07-29-21, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
I wish I cared for her or Disney. How much money is enough for these people?
I know you moan and groan about topics like this and don't care about this, but like any performer or creative in entertainment, they are entitled to fair compensation for their work. It's not about she's already super rich, why does she need more? She's just a greedy actor.

She's a Producer on this movie and likely has backend profits that she's being screwed out of. Krasinski and Emily Blunt had a similar issue with Paramount and how they handled A Quiet Place II. It's business.

I know many people just want to watch the movies and don't care about the money aspect, but if you don't pay talent fairly, you don't have content.
Old 07-29-21, 08:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts

I’m sure this isn’t even her, but her reps made it so and thought good idea. I’m sure she was barely involved in initial idea. Not like she needs money or is so stuck up (at least from interviews and stuff) that she would do this without being prodded. Maybe the lawyers want to make an example and set precedent, but wtf? did they think was going to happen during these times and it being one of the deadliest viruses in history, that is 2nd in claiming the most lives in human history (second to the Black Plague in 1300’s which claimed fucking couple hundred million)??? At least it was released on different mediums to make as much revenue as possible. She should be thanking Disney for putting it out there in different forms for people to choose and still pay, not suing them.

Do you think this will tarnish her name a bit? I’m sure big hit with fellow actors, but production companies and stuff not wanting to hire her?
Old 07-29-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Hey, I'd be more than happy to front her a few ducats to tide her over.
Old 07-29-21, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
The facts:

The pandemic has a monumental effect on box office returns... or lack there of.

Scarlett has waited years to get the big bucks from her solo movie outing.

Disney and other studios are screwing box office profits over by releasing same day on streaming. That being said, no guarantee of box office in the same league as pre-pandemic.

Movie released pre-pandemic would have made significantly more. (I personally found the movie average at best, but the Marvel machine is set to generate $500 million + with pretty much everything these days).

Scarlett will have had a massive back end profits deal, and Disney has tried screwing her over by releasing streaming.

Both Disney and ScarJo have parted ways, so both will feel like the gloves can be off for this.

--------------‐-----

Scarlett has done something quite predictable here, and she will try and make herself a martyr for future celebs to try and get deals that pay them fairly going forward. I am guessing that Disney will end up throwing some more money her way and be done with it all. Sounds like they are changing the way they deal with actors and their contracts now, so i expect little chance of anyone getting Downey Jnr money again any time soon.

Why would Brie do something like that? She already had her own movie. ScarJo is also a bigger star than Brie is, as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
Dan (07-29-21), DJariya (07-29-21), IBJoel (07-30-21)
Old 07-29-21, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
Only the women can ask for the compensation they are owed?
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Dan (07-29-21), DJariya (07-29-21), IBJoel (07-30-21)
Old 07-29-21, 09:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Why would Brie do something like that? She already had her own movie. ScarJo is also a bigger star than Brie is, as well.
Because women.
Old 07-29-21, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 831 Likes on 550 Posts

It’s a good thing Ghostbusters 2016 didn’t come out during these times. The studio would have gone bankrupt from the lawsuits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.