Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Black Widow?
5 stars
1.47%
4 3/4 stars
0%
4 1/2 stars
5.88%
4 stars
27.94%
3 3/4 stars
10.29%
3 1/2 stars
20.59%
3 stars
19.12%
2 3/4 stars
2.94%
2 1/2 stars
2.94%
2 stars
4.41%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
2.94%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
She's dead. Who cares??
1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Old 07-07-21, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,119 Likes on 836 Posts

Synopsis from Marvel.com

In Marvel Studios’ action-packed spy thriller “Black Widow,” Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.

Trailer:

Running Time:

2 hours, 13 minutes

Will officially premiere in theatres Friday and on Disney + Premier Access for $30

Rating:

Per the MPAA, Black Widow has been rated PG-13 for “intense sequences of violence/action, some language, and thematic material.”

Rotten Tomatoes:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_widow_2021

Current 82% with 211 reviews as of 7/7/21

Is there a Post credit scene?:
Spoiler:

Reportedly Yes.

There is no official record of the budget, but it's reportedly $200M plus.

This is the first MCU movie since July, 2019

Early screenings start tomorrow. Thought I would go ahead and put this up.

Please for this thread's purposes, stick to talking about the movie. If you want to continue to talk about the Stephen Dorff issue, use the other thread. If you have no interest in this movie, please don't thread crap here.

Normally I would see this tomorrow night or Friday, but I have other plans. I'm going to see a matinee on Saturday.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-07-21 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Just saw it today and it’s solid fun, maybe not top tier but definitely a fun ride; sort of Winter Soldier meets James Bond meets The Americans. Scarlett is great as always but Pugh and Harbour steal the show and the movie really kicks in when they enter the scene. The awkwardness of a long-delayed movie featuring a flashback about a character who’s already dead mostly vanished after a while. Not the best villains but overall a solid B+ for me. Hard to believe it’s been almost exactly two years since my last MCU in a theatre.
Old 07-08-21, 12:37 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

5pm tonight!
Old 07-08-21, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 229 Posts

Spoiler: I haven't seen it yet, but I hear from reliable sources that BW gets in a lot of fights.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (07-08-21)
Old 07-08-21, 01:29 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 183 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Spoiler: I haven't seen it yet, but I hear from reliable sources that BW gets in a lot of fights.
Does she jump up, wrap her legs around an opponent's neck, then spin around, flipping them to the ground? Never mind, don't tell me! I want to be surprised.
Old 07-08-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Does she jump up, wrap her legs around an opponent's neck, then spin around, flipping them to the ground? Never mind, don't tell me! I want to be surprised.

Old 07-08-21, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 824 Likes on 574 Posts

^ It’s kind of sad that the pinnacle of Black Widow’s cool fights was in her very first appearance 11 years ago.
Old 07-08-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 340 Likes on 249 Posts

Going tomorrow afternoon. Supporting a locally-owned theater instead of the AMC or Regal. I still miss Drafthouse.
Old 07-08-21, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I liked it but I can see how some will be disappointed. The end-credits sequence sure got my attention:

Spoiler:
So Yelena's next appearance will be on the Hawkeye show?!?
Old 07-08-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got home, saw it with my wife and 15 year old daughter, both of whom loved it. I enjoyed it, but didn't "get" the ending.
Spoiler:
When Ross and his team are closing in on BW, as she stands there and waits, are we to believe that she defeats them and escapes? That just seems highly unlikely to me, since they are coming fully prepared to capture her and she just barely survived the crash of the Red Room, has no resources, no escape plans, and no allies staying behind. What am I missing?

No mid-credits scene, but one fairly interesting post-credits scene.
Old 07-08-21, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Spoiler:
So Yelena's next appearance will be on the Hawkeye show?!?
That was my take on it.
Old 07-09-21, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

An entertaining mid-tier MCU movie. Better than the Iron Man sequels and the 1st two Thor films, but not something that will ever be remembered as a classic MCU flick.

I liked the interplay between Natasha and her "family." The escape of Red Guardian was a solid action sequence, even if the guy firing at Yelena from the watchtower had worse aim than a Stormtrooper.

On the downside, the fight sequences were over-edited and the finale, despite lots of explosions and flying debris, was underwhelming and not emotionally satisfying. The fact that the most powerful baddies in the movie
Spoiler:
were under mind control and just needed a whiff of the red serum to completely cure them did not make for the most memorable of battle scenes.

The MCU continues to be real hit and miss when developing villains. The boss villain was a typically unimpressive blowhard, while the potential of Taskmaster was completely wasted. The character's ability to mimic his opponent's moves was displayed in the 1st fight with BW and in a few Black Panther and Cap shield moments, but it really served little purpose in the ultimate scheme of things. It could have really just been any villain with super athletic abilities.
Old 07-09-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Just got home, saw it with my wife and 15 year old daughter, both of whom loved it. I enjoyed it, but didn't "get" the ending.
Spoiler:
When Ross and his team are closing in on BW, as she stands there and waits, are we to believe that she defeats them and escapes? That just seems highly unlikely to me, since they are coming fully prepared to capture her and she just barely survived the crash of the Red Room, has no resources, no escape plans, and no allies staying behind. What am I missing?

My guess is she “posed” then ran like hell.

What a poser.

🤣🤣🤣

I liked the movie. A solid popcorn flick that I will watch again.

Worth the 15 month wait… good way to get Phase 4 started.
Old 07-09-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,119 Likes on 836 Posts

Old 07-09-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats great news. I wonder how much the “Premiere Access” folks (like me) paid out to watch it at home?
Old 07-09-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Decent flick but I think I would've enjoyed it more if it was released after Civil War or if Nat originally had her own trilogy with this being the final film.

Also agree that Taskmaster was a complete waste.
Old 07-09-21, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 139 Posts

I liked it quite a bit more than I thought I would. Yelena stole the entire movie for me. There was a good mix of humor, action and some nice emotional beats, and I thought the fight scenes were much more visceral than I had expected.

it did start to drag a little bit towards the end after the capture, but overall I thought it was a pretty solid outing.
Old 07-09-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
Also agree that Taskmaster was a complete waste.
This is a real shame. The character design looks amazing but I hate how one dimensional they made them.

... but then again, I’m glad they did something different with Taskmaster than use the annoying version they had in the PS4 Spider-man game. He was so difficult in that game.
Old 07-09-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 139 Posts

Also, why are there 3/4 stars but not 1/4 stars?
Old 07-09-21, 05:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 506 Likes on 363 Posts

Haven't seen it yet, but already gonna say...
10/10
100%

Old 07-09-21, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 340 Likes on 249 Posts

I wonder if anyone here saw the end-credits scene but didn't watch Falcon & the Winter Soldier on D+?
Old 07-09-21, 06:25 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I wonder if anyone here saw the end-credits scene but didn't watch Falcon & the Winter Soldier on D+?
This was supposed to come out before TF&TWS, so the scene in this was shot first. This would’ve been the first one we saw with her.

I’m more intrigued to see Hawkeye now knowing how Pugh will fit in to it.

Last edited by dex14; 07-09-21 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-09-21, 08:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 328 Likes on 290 Posts

Certainly a different beginning than we are used to. Even credits more M:I than Marvel. Did love Malia J’s rendition of Smells Like Teen Spirit. She has a few other haunting, but melodic covers of famous songs. Got em all. Different and slow, but melodic and meaningful.

And never a fan of William Hurt as General/Secretary Ross. Always seems like he’s trying too hard to be this tough, no powers good guy of the bureaucratic, govt type, but fails imo. Love him in most other roles, but all his short bits and longer one in TIH in MCU fail for me. Or after Sam Elliot no one could compare. Though he didn’t do much with that role either as Lee didn’t do much for the movie.

And a super robot villain that turns out to be a supposed dead kingpin’s dead daughter who both turn up to be alive, really? This would be like right after CA: CW and right before Ultron. So it’s like 2 in a row. Can’t we be more creative in these villain choices? And we had Rumlow as Crossbones for a bit. As mentioned, very hit and miss villains. And movie just not very interesting.

Certainly can’t get enough of the 2 leg neck hold spin. And, more super serum? How many fucking vials of this stuff are around and where and what timeline? Oh who gives a fuck. That last widows scene was nothing exceptional and sure antidote wipes it all out. Very convenient.

This was not a great action movie, certainly far from even good Marvel movie. Far down the list. Right there with IM2 & IM3, but worse. Fuck I paid, but glad I did, high in my bed, with multiple intermissions (potty breaks) and not in a theater. It wasn’t even high spectacle till the end. Maybe, the prison breakout, but blech.

It was humorless, joyless, funless. Not even Harbour’s little dialogue can make up for. I can’t believe this got even in low 80’s on RT. This was a streaming movie through and through and no where near a must-see Marvel blockbuster. Sure, it might make money. Bc of loyal fanbase and well Marvel is simply amazing at making these films. But drop off will be a plenty.

That syrupy sweet ending was cringe inducing. Sisters in arms.

Basically the only thing we learned from this movie is where Natasha got some of her emotions before she died. Super.

And as for the after credits…ugh. I was hoping we wouldn’t have him in his own anything. I guess this all but confirms.

Almost every other MCU film, I’ve had the desire to see multiple times. I own every one on physical. This one, I just have little to no desire to rewatch.

What a terrible movie all around. Not even a decent time waster.
Old 07-09-21, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoyed it. Really enjoyed Florence Pugh's Yelena. It was more like a Bond movie than a Marvel movie but as a standalone it worked for me. Not great by any means and a little long, but still a lot of fun.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (07-11-21)
Old 07-09-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 297 Posts

Loved it - exactly what I wanted. Black Widow is my favorite MCU character and getting more of her backstory was fantastic. Top tier Marvel movie for me.

And watching it with my wife and son in my home theater for far less than it would have cost us to see in the movie theater was the icing on the cake. And I can rewatch whenever I want. So great!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.