Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Black Widow?
5 stars
3.95%
4 3/4 stars
0%
4 1/2 stars
5.26%
4 stars
26.32%
3 3/4 stars
9.21%
3 1/2 stars
18.42%
3 stars
18.42%
2 3/4 stars
3.95%
2 1/2 stars
5.26%
2 stars
5.26%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
2.63%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
She's dead. Who cares??
1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
What a terrible movie all around. Not even a decent time waster.
Can't disagree more. Terrible? Like most others here I really enjoyed myself. The post-credit scene was initially touching with Yelena straightening up the grave. When when she whistled, I was thinking...there better not be Natasha's return whistle.
Old 07-09-21, 10:18 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Black Widow (2021, D: Shortland) -- S: Johansson, Pugh -- The Spoiler Review Thread

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Can't disagree more. Terrible? Like most others here I really enjoyed myself. The post-credit scene was initially touching with Yelena straightening up the grave. When when she whistled, I was thinking...there better not be Natasha's return whistle.
What? You think a movie is going to be great and enjoyable when you’re watching it high in bed and taking multiple breaks??? It’s the way movies were made to be seen!
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
majorjoe23 (07-10-21), Wolf359 (07-09-21)
Old 07-09-21, 10:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

^ the fuck, you criticize an opinion and you’re a moderator? Wow.
Old 07-09-21, 10:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

#ModsAreHumanToo
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
majorjoe23 (07-10-21), whotony (07-14-21)
Old 07-09-21, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

#justicefordex14
Old 07-09-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just watched it and think it's one of the better standalone hero films out of the MCU. It's better than:

Ant Man
Ant Man 2
Thor: Dark World
IM2
IM3
Incredible Hulk
etc, etc.

I thought they did her dirty in Infinity War, so this standalone film is kind of redeeming. Is it a perfect film? Of course not. Ray Winstone was a lousy villain, but the whole bit of dialogue where he compared girls to disposable trash that he recycled hit a nerve. I was not able to make it to the theater, so Disney Premiered it. The Dolby Vision/Atmos presentation was stellar. I think Hawkeye is lame, so hopefully Florence being in his show will elevate the material.
Old 07-09-21, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

It thought it was decent enough. Good stand alone flick.

(no potty breaks for me )
Old 07-09-21, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just watched it and think it's one of the better standalone hero films out of the MCU. It's better than:

Ant Man
Ant Man 2
Thor: Dark World
IM2
IM3
Incredible Hulk
etc, etc.

I thought they did her dirty in Infinity War, so this standalone film is kind of redeeming. Is it a perfect film? Of course not. Ray Winstone was a lousy villain, but the whole bit of dialogue where he compared girls to disposable trash that he recycled hit a nerve. I was not able to make it to the theater, so Disney Premiered it. The Dolby Vision/Atmos presentation was stellar. I think Hawkeye is lame, so hopefully Florence being in his show will elevate the material.
I think it fits right in with that group. Its a decent/passable flick that has certain sequences that are somewhat rewatchable... maybe just under a Winter Soldier-Lite.

Is the film horrible/God-awful?.... nah.

Now what they did to Taskmaster is definitely horrible/God-awful.
Old 07-10-21, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Watched it with my son, then we went to a restaurant for dinner. On the TV there was an ad for Black Widow. It shows a Movie review quote one word at a time flashed on the screen : THE. BEST. MARVEL. MOVIE. PERIOD. I turned to my son and told him that quote was edited and wasn't the full review quote. He looked at me quizzically. I told him that the full quote was "The best Marvel movie (where the lead characters discuss the ability to have a) period".
The following users liked this post:
whotony (07-14-21)
Old 07-10-21, 12:50 AM

It's no accident that they show some Moonraker on the TV. This movie surprisingly scratched the itch I had to watch a new 80's era James Bond movie. I missed having a chief villain who not only has a silent henchmen but lives in a inaccessible lair that collapses and self-destructs in the final battle scene. Yes it's old-fashioned and corny, but it beats the pants off of fighting an endless army of flying space aliens with guns for a finale.
Old 07-10-21, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I liked the movie and there was a lot of external stuff working against it so maybe next time I will like it even better.

Stuff working against it: baby in the theater, theater temp too high (sweaty back (ew)), post covid tasting oddity making the popcorn tasting like rotten eggs, someone pulled the fire alarm and the film had to stop for 10 mins to reset, people too many people (I don't care for people).

This marks a first for me for the entire 30+ years I have been watching movies in the theater. I had to yell at some high school kids to 'shut up', who waits for 2 years to see a movie and then talks through it?!?!

Also me:

I need to get that D-Box at home set up so I never have to go to the theater again.
story (07-10-21)
Old 07-10-21, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

What they did to Taskmaster brought the movie down a notch. "He" was one of my favorite comic book characters.

Over all I liked it and look forward to see what they do with Yelena.
Old 07-10-21, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
What they did to Taskmaster brought the movie down a notch. "He" was one of my favorite comic book characters.

Over all I liked it and look forward to see what they do with Yelena.
yes I imagine there will be a rather big fanboy backlash from that (not calling you a fanboy though!) I liked the movie but that’s a case where it would’ve been better to use a different character entirely or make up a new one rather than using that name.
Old 07-10-21, 06:15 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

I love all the MCU movies. This was one of my least favorite. It wasn't bad, and it wasn't great. I enjoyed watching it, but I don't have any urge to watch it again. I've been looking forward to this movie for the past year. I really wish it was better.

The characters were charming. There's a few scenes that made me laugh. The action is decent, especially the finale. I just wish there was more. Most of the movie is character development. The villain was disappointing. A great hero needs a great villain. And this one was kinda dull.
Old 07-10-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
yes I imagine there will be a rather big fanboy backlash from that (not calling you a fanboy though!) I liked the movie but that’s a case where it would’ve been better to use a different character entirely or make up a new one rather than using that name.
It just seems like movies are trying to hard to include some type of it/they/them/her. They should've just made up the character. Now that I have slept on it I'm more pissed at what they did to the character.
Old 07-10-21, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

It just seems like movies are trying to hard to include some type of it/they/them/her. They should've just made up the character. Now that I have slept on it I'm more pissed at what they did to the character.
Yeah, they've never made different versions of that character before.

Spoiler:
Alternative versions of the Taskmaster have appeared in various Marvel titles in minor roles.

What If[edit]

In a What If? storyline What if... Steve Rogers had refused to give up being Captain America? vol. 2 #3 (1989), the Taskmaster trained the Super-Patriot and the Buckies to replace Captain America.[74]

Avataars: Covenant of the Shield[edit]

An alternate version of the Taskmaster appears in Avataars: Covenant of the Shield #1 (2000) where the Marvel Universe is re-imagined in a fantasy setting. In this reality, the Taskmaster is an assassin known as the Deathmaster.[75]

Marvel Universe Millennial Visions 2001[edit]

In the Marvel Universe Millennial Visions 2001 (2002) storyline Thunderbolts: Give a Guy a Break, Hawkeye takes it upon himself to force supervillains to seek redemption. The Taskmaster is among the supervillains hypnotized by the Ringmaster and forced to become a member of the Thunderbolts.[76]

JLA/Avengers[edit]

In JLA/Avengers #4 (2004), part of the Marvel/DC co-published crossover series, the Taskmaster is among the supervillains to confront Batman, Black Panther, Black Widow and Huntress in the final battle with Krona.[77]

Marvel Apes[edit]

A primate version of the Taskmaster appears in the Marvel Apes titles Marvel Apes: Evolution Starts Here #1 (2009), Marvel: Apes: Speedball Special #1 (2009) and Marvel Apes: Grunt Line Special #1 (2009).[78][79][80]

Marvel Universe vs. the Punisher[edit]

In Marvel Universe vs. the Punisher #4 (September 2010), where the Marvel Universe is infected by a cannibal plague, the Taskmaster is killed when the Red Hulk tears his head off.[81]

Deadpool Max[edit]

A female version of Taskmaster appeared in the Marvel Max series Deadpool Max. This version became a mother figure to a young version of Deadpool when she kidnapped his Muskrat troop.[82]

House of M[edit]

In the House of M reality, the Taskmaster appeared as a member of the strike force known as the Brotherhood. Although not a mutant, he used his abilities to pass as one, since humans (even super-powered humans) were treated as second-class citizens.[83] However, after he was beaten by Luke Cage for the murder of Tigra, he was found to be a human masquerading as a mutant.[84]

Marvel vs. Capcom[edit]

The Taskmaster appears in Marvel Vs. Capcom: Fate of Two Worlds #1 (2011) based on his appearance in the Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds video game. He briefly appears in Latveria, having been hired by Dr. Doom to aid in the invasion of the second Earth and grows increasingly impatient due to Albert Wesker's inability to fully link the two worlds.[85]

Ultraverse[edit]

The Taskmaster appears in the Malibu Comics (also known as the Ultraverse) series Siren (1995), Siren #1–3 (1995) and Siren Special #1 (1996) as a supporting character.[86][87]

Age of Ultron[edit]

In the Age of Ultron story, the Taskmaster is depicted as working with the Black Panther and the Red Hulk in Chicago attempting to capture Ultron Sentinel technology. Successful in doing so, Red Hulk holds off the Ultron minions to allow Taskmaster and Black Panther to escape.[88] When Taskmaster tries to run away with one of the Ultron Sentinels, Red Hulk tells him he doesn't trust him, and then kills him.[89]

Ultimate Marvel[edit]

The Ultimate Marvel version of Taskmaster appears in Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man; this iteration is an African-American mercenary. Hired by Phillip Roxxon,[90] he confronts Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Cloak & Dagger and Bombshell, and displays the ability to absorb and re-channel energy-based superpowers. Taskmaster is eventually defeated by the young amateur superheroes.[91]

I swear that people who complain about comic characters being changed for movies have never read a comic book because they change ALL THE TIME.
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
Abob Teff (07-17-21), Dan (07-10-21), spainlinx0 (07-11-21)
Old 07-10-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Yeah, they've never made different versions of that character before.

Spoiler:
Alternative versions of the Taskmaster have appeared in various Marvel titles in minor roles.

What If[edit]

In a What If? storyline What if... Steve Rogers had refused to give up being Captain America? vol. 2 #3 (1989), the Taskmaster trained the Super-Patriot and the Buckies to replace Captain America.[74]

Avataars: Covenant of the Shield[edit]

An alternate version of the Taskmaster appears in Avataars: Covenant of the Shield #1 (2000) where the Marvel Universe is re-imagined in a fantasy setting. In this reality, the Taskmaster is an assassin known as the Deathmaster.[75]

Marvel Universe Millennial Visions 2001[edit]

In the Marvel Universe Millennial Visions 2001 (2002) storyline Thunderbolts: Give a Guy a Break, Hawkeye takes it upon himself to force supervillains to seek redemption. The Taskmaster is among the supervillains hypnotized by the Ringmaster and forced to become a member of the Thunderbolts.[76]

JLA/Avengers[edit]

In JLA/Avengers #4 (2004), part of the Marvel/DC co-published crossover series, the Taskmaster is among the supervillains to confront Batman, Black Panther, Black Widow and Huntress in the final battle with Krona.[77]

Marvel Apes[edit]

A primate version of the Taskmaster appears in the Marvel Apes titles Marvel Apes: Evolution Starts Here #1 (2009), Marvel: Apes: Speedball Special #1 (2009) and Marvel Apes: Grunt Line Special #1 (2009).[78][79][80]

Marvel Universe vs. the Punisher[edit]

In Marvel Universe vs. the Punisher #4 (September 2010), where the Marvel Universe is infected by a cannibal plague, the Taskmaster is killed when the Red Hulk tears his head off.[81]

Deadpool Max[edit]

A female version of Taskmaster appeared in the Marvel Max series Deadpool Max. This version became a mother figure to a young version of Deadpool when she kidnapped his Muskrat troop.[82]

House of M[edit]

In the House of M reality, the Taskmaster appeared as a member of the strike force known as the Brotherhood. Although not a mutant, he used his abilities to pass as one, since humans (even super-powered humans) were treated as second-class citizens.[83] However, after he was beaten by Luke Cage for the murder of Tigra, he was found to be a human masquerading as a mutant.[84]

Marvel vs. Capcom[edit]

The Taskmaster appears in Marvel Vs. Capcom: Fate of Two Worlds #1 (2011) based on his appearance in the Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds video game. He briefly appears in Latveria, having been hired by Dr. Doom to aid in the invasion of the second Earth and grows increasingly impatient due to Albert Wesker's inability to fully link the two worlds.[85]

Ultraverse[edit]

The Taskmaster appears in the Malibu Comics (also known as the Ultraverse) series Siren (1995), Siren #1–3 (1995) and Siren Special #1 (1996) as a supporting character.[86][87]

Age of Ultron[edit]

In the Age of Ultron story, the Taskmaster is depicted as working with the Black Panther and the Red Hulk in Chicago attempting to capture Ultron Sentinel technology. Successful in doing so, Red Hulk holds off the Ultron minions to allow Taskmaster and Black Panther to escape.[88] When Taskmaster tries to run away with one of the Ultron Sentinels, Red Hulk tells him he doesn't trust him, and then kills him.[89]

Ultimate Marvel[edit]

The Ultimate Marvel version of Taskmaster appears in Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man; this iteration is an African-American mercenary. Hired by Phillip Roxxon,[90] he confronts Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Cloak & Dagger and Bombshell, and displays the ability to absorb and re-channel energy-based superpowers. Taskmaster is eventually defeated by the young amateur superheroes.[91]

I swear that people who complain about comic characters being changed for movies have never read a comic book because they change ALL THE TIME.
Well... I stop reading in early 90's. I dont give a shit what they have done to comics the last 10+ years. I'm glad I stop reading/collecting when I did.

Last edited by csant; 07-10-21 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-10-21, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not only that, but icky girls replacing their alpha male counterparts in the role of badass villains is crossing the line with the incels.
Old 07-10-21, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Not only that, but icky girls replacing their alpha male counterparts in the role of badass villains is crossing the line with the incels.
Old 07-10-21, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, so the misogynists then?
Old 07-10-21, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

by the same token... why change everything to it/she/thing/they/them.
Old 07-10-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Because since movies began women have been underrepresented in them. The fact that you think it’s something to complain about reiterates why changing the status quo is necessary. And most legacy characters in comics are male. But there is nothing about Taskmaster that requires him to be a male character.
Old 07-10-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Great action flick.

My only two gripes with it are:

a) Sooooo, Natasha is Wolverine now? Seriously, some of those falls would have have at least broken several bones. She's not a super soldier, right?

and

b) I thought this flick was going to have more flashbacks to 1) her life in the Red Room and 2) what the hell happened in Budapest ...errr phest...errr...(I mean, see this not just hear of it) Butttt, I guess with her and Clint spending many days in an air vent together perhaps that's a little too X for Disney
Old 07-10-21, 08:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Ah yes, a serious opinion from a very serious person.
FM (07-20-21)
Old 07-10-21, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Great action flick.

My only two gripes with it are:

a) Sooooo, Natasha is Wolverine now?
Well they're both dead now, so maybe?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.