Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Going back to theaters experience Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How has experience go back to theater been?
Yes, been back and feel fine. No mask required.
55.32%
Yes, been back and feel fine. Mask required. And I do wear.
6.38%
Yes, but still a little hesitant. Wear a mask.
8.51%
Yes, but still a little hesitant. Donít wear a mask.
0%
No, havenít been back and not sure Iíll go back again.
17.02%
No, havenít been back, but slowly warming to idea.
8.51%
Other, please explain.
0%
What are you high?
4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-21, 07:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 338 Likes on 299 Posts

**iíll keep voting anonymous, just in case youíd rather not say. I donít know if itís anything to be defensive about, but JIC. You know you can of course voice your opinion in post, but for those that donít want.

So, I really do miss the experience and these grand spectacles on the big screen, either 2D or 3D. You know I loved it. I really think I feel comfortable. I certainly donít wear a mask at work or around customers. And some customers wear them, some donít and I took down mask wearing requirement sign. I still havenít been in public (except pharm) yet without a mask but considering it as early as tomorrow.

So, how has your experiences been? Do you feel completely comfortable? Do you wear a mask the whole time and is it comfortable?

Has anyone here gotten or someone you know who was in direct contact with you got sick?

Just curious how everyone feels whether you have been back or still wonít go back.
Old 06-25-21, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 362 Posts
re: Going back to theaters experience Thread

I'm fully vaccinated and have been back to theaters since they released Scott Pilgrim in Dolby Cinema, what, at the end of April? It's been great. They relaxed the mask wearing inside if you're vaccinated, so no issues. I still opt to wear mine unless I'm eating or drinking in the theater.

I'll be seeing F9, Forever Purge, and Black Widow in theaters, too.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (06-25-21)
Old 06-25-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 547 Likes on 445 Posts

Iíve gone back with my girlfriend once so far. I felt fine about going. Just not a lot of films out that I really have wanted to see. Probably will go to Black Widow and maybe Snake Eyes. Also probably The Suicide Squad unless I decide to watch it on HBO Max.
Old 06-25-21, 07:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 540 Likes on 388 Posts

Oddly, I haven't been to the cinema since Jan 2nd.
no particular reason... But I had gone a good number of times between August and December, when masks were still required.
Old 06-25-21, 07:37 PM

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Been going regularly since Tenet last year and weekly since the first week of May.

AMC (in my area) just stopped doing the thing where they block off the seats around you when you book. I was loving that.
Old 06-25-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Won't be going back, until Hollywood starts taking chances on original ideas again and stop strip mining their cartoons and amusement park rides.
Old 06-25-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I went back to see Quiet Place 2 last month (Wait, was it last month?) and I'm most certainly going back when Black Widow opens.
Old 06-25-21, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,183 Likes on 878 Posts

Been back since Tenet came out last summer, then theatres shut down last Fall. But once they reopened again in late Spring, I’ve been going pretty regularly. I’ve seen 12 movies since mid March and saw F9 last night. I’ve vaccinated and restrictions are relaxed now in California and I feel perfectly fine. Next week I’m seeing the new Purge movie and after that Black Widow.

And for the record, there has been no record of anyone getting Covid from going to a movie.

I did bring a mask to see F9 and wore it intermittently through the movie. But I did walk in without it as it’s no longer required if you’re vaccinated and I bought my popcorn and drink without it It doesn’t bother me wearing it. Maybe in a few more weeks I’ll ditch it completely going to future movies.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-26-21 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-25-21, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 476 Likes on 306 Posts

Saw F9 in a theater tonight. Totally comfortable going maskless but people brought little kids and babies to the movie. They were quiet for the most part but it just drove home how much Iíve come to hate the public.

And it was over 30 bucks just for my son and I to get tickets. So getting Black Widow on Disney+ to watch in my nice baby-less home sounds like heaven - itís my most anticipated movie of the year and I want to watch it without interruption.

At this point Iíll see movies I want to see on the big screen if I have to, but if they offer a home option, Iíll take that every single time instead. Itís just so great and what Iíve wanted for years.
Old 06-25-21, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts

Saw Wrath of Man last week. First movie since Tenet. Only reason I waited that long was because a lack of convenient showtimes. I'll be going to F9 on Sunday. I'll wear a mask if the theater requires it, but otherwise won't. Don't see much reason to.
Old 06-25-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts

My first movie back was Sparks Brothers. It was totally normal for me. I plan on going to see Black Widow, Dune, Halloween, Suicide Squad, Eternals and Spider-Man.
Iím hoping to visit the New Bev when I go to LA in August. Iíd like to see a movie there.
Old 06-25-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 360 Likes on 265 Posts

Saw QP2 and I went maskless since I had popcorn. I was the only one in there, so I was fine. I woulda been fine with a crowd. Been fully vaxxed for a month.
Old 06-26-21, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Went back on June 8th to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time on the big screen. I took my mask off to eat my popcorn before the trailers even started as there was no one in the theater but me. One other person finally showed up but I already had my mask on and kept it on. Have been back for In the Heights and The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. Handful of folks both times and kept my mask on except for a quick snack. I always got to matinees so the attendance is always at a minimum. I have no problem keeping my mask on the entire time.
Old 06-26-21, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 88 Posts

Our family went to an AMC theater to see Cruella. It was so nice to be able to go back to the movies once again.
Old 06-26-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

First movie back was Raya, have seen AQP2, Cruella and F9... mask recommended... I'm fully vaxxed. Not sure if they're doing away with distancing as I thought it was still a seat apart for F9 and it was booked as such, but when I arrived lo and behold, there's a single dude in what was supposed to be an empty chair between my party and the next party. I put my mask on and so did he once he finished his popcorn.
Old 06-26-21, 05:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 338 Likes on 299 Posts

When is Black Widow? 7/2? Wait that’s gonna be fee on D+ day 1? Nm if so. Something I wouldn’t be able to see streaming in quick or same day time. Not sure which those even are anymore…
Old 06-26-21, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I saw Godzilla vs. Kong the week after it opened. Masks were required and seating was spaced out by party. I was fully vaxxed and felt comfortable.

Saw Cruella a few weeks ago. Masks were recommended, not required. Seating space had been eased.

Iíll be seeing F9 later this week and the rest of the summer films as they are released.
Old 06-26-21, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

I don't really feel the need to go back this year with the WB movies going to HBO Max. The Marvel stuff this year isn't making me rush to a theater. Maybe the Eternals, if it is gets stellar reviews. But I can wait until next year. Probably first movie to get me back would be Batman.
OldBoy (06-26-21)
Old 06-26-21, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Received 246 Likes on 178 Posts

Been back twice, both post-full vaccination: First time to see Mortal Kombat, we rented out the theater with my girlfriend's friends. No masks, as everyone except one couple was vaccinated. Second time, my girlfriend and I went to see Demon Slayer, and we kept masks on with a general audience.
Old 06-26-21, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
When is Black Widow? 7/2? Wait thatís gonna be fee on D+ day 1? Nm if so. Something I wouldnít be able to see streaming in quick or same day time. Not sure which those even are anymoreÖ
Pretty sure BW will be $30.
Old 06-26-21, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,183 Likes on 878 Posts

I saw a movie at a Harkins theatre today. No masks required if you're vaccinated, so I decided to forgo it completely today. Even multiple employees including the young girl behind the counter wasn't wearing masks anymore. California just approved last week that people can go maskless in the workplace if they're vaccinated. That also includes theatre employees. I really dig the Harkins chain. Super clean theatres and the employees are great.

I was sitting by myself with no one next to me, so I felt very comfortable.
Old 06-27-21, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 476 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
It is (which, again, is the cost of two evening show tickets for me).

Last edited by Draven; 06-27-21 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
And it will be released 7/9.

Damnit, weíre still his Google!
Deftones (06-27-21)
Old 06-27-21, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
And it will be released 7/9.

Damnit, weíre still his Google!
We've had years to learn how to speak oldboy. Are we sure Google's ai could do a better job than us?
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
majorjoe23 (06-30-21), Obi-Wanma (06-28-21)
Old 06-27-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Went back after being reaching "fully vaccinated " status in mid April to see Godzilla vs Kong then late last month to see A Quiet Place 2. Waiting until a friend visits for the 4th and some vacation time I'm taking to see F9 at a good theater that does $5 shows M-Thursday. Both experiences have been good but I try to keep my distance while I'm in the auditorium. I don't wear a mask while watching as I am drinking and partaking of candy. When I saw GvK the theater kept two seats in your groups radius vacant, so that was a good thing. Only big thing I may be seeing opening weekend is Black Widow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.