Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Going back to theaters experience Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How has experience go back to theater been?
Yes, been back and feel fine. No mask required.
56.86%
Yes, been back and feel fine. Mask required. And I do wear.
5.88%
Yes, but still a little hesitant. Wear a mask.
7.84%
Yes, but still a little hesitant. Don’t wear a mask.
0%
No, haven’t been back and not sure I’ll go back again.
15.69%
No, haven’t been back, but slowly warming to idea.
7.84%
Other, please explain.
1.96%
What are you high?
3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Going back to theaters experience Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
re: Going back to theaters experience Thread

Haven't been back since I saw Tenet last fall.

At this juncture, I like the convenience of being able to watch at home/gym/etc and whenever I want. I'm not really in a rush to go back to dealing with assholes on their cellphones checking their social media every 5 mins or drunken idiots talking throughout the film.

The same is true for my music/concert going experience. I have tickets for some shows in Sept, but I've been enjoying interacting with artists that put on some amazing shows on Twitch live.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-27-21)
Old 06-27-21, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts
re: Going back to theaters experience Thread

I've been going to back to the theater on occasion since Tenet last August/September. Wore a mask to and from the theater (took it off while seated). Last two months have been going to the theater without a mask. Been fully vaxxed since early March.
Old 09-17-21, 07:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Reasons for going or not going to theaters now (9.21)?

So I thought I’d make this civil, but movie political type thread. And keep from seeping in other regular movie specific threads that are here and there. Dedicated to this one, perhaps.

Maybe want something to change my mind, bc don’t want to rn, even though no stories of outbreaks from theaters at all, that I’ve heard of. Again, let’s keep civil and respect individuals decisions even though what ever opposite of you is clearly wrong
and just discuss reasons…
Old 09-17-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Reasons for going or not going to theaters now (9.21)?

Homebody. If they don’t make me I won’t go. I’d pay like $40 or $50 to watch a movie I really want to see at home on opening weekend.

And Covid still. Don’t wanna be one of those dudes on IG like yooooo I’m living life -> I’m a little sick -> I’m checking into hospital -> go fund me for my funeral. Not worth it tho I’m really curious if Trevor is in Ten Rings.
Old 09-17-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Going back to theaters experience Thread

With this thread being bumped, I'll have to share a peculiar experience here.

I have an annual subscription for Regal Unlimited bought Black Friday of 2019. It was put on pause and then turned back on when theaters opened back up. I have no idea when it will expire exactly. But I'm determined to get my money's worth and check out a handful of films each month at minimum. My theater is small and hasn't had a great deal of activity.

Last night, I decide to check out Shang-Chi and check the app to see an 8:20 p.m. showing. I don't care to watrch 20 minutes of the same previews I see frequently, so I show up around 8:30. As I near the theater all the outside lights are out. I almost wonder if the theater is closed. Then I notice 2 cars in the lot and drive by the front door to see 2 employees behind the counter. I deduce that no one is there and they are shutting down early. Well, I made the plans to see a movie so I get out of my car and notice an employee goes over and messes with the lock on the front door. I thought to myself, surely she didn't lock it upon seeing me pull in. No, I find the door is open and she must have went and unlocked it. I'm not sure how anyone else would have handled things, but I felt a little bad walking in to see a 2 1/2 hour film, knowing I was going to be the only one in whole theater. But I did. And of course it's the one film I stick around and watch the post credits scenes further delaying the opportunity these folks would have to leave.
Old 09-18-21, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

If you’re fully vaccinated and wear an N95 mask in the theater, you’re probably more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the theater than from getting Covid in there.

Get the Vax, live your life.
The following 7 users liked this post by Decker:
Boondock Saint (09-20-21), DJariya (09-18-21), Mondo Kane (09-18-21), Obi-Wanma (09-22-21), Toddarino (09-22-21), TomOpus (09-18-21), Why So Blu? (09-18-21) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-21, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Voted "No, haven’t been back and not sure I’ll go back again."

But I'm pretty sure I won't likely step back into a theater for many many years. I've grown to prefer the home experience. Having a pause button trumps everything. Not dealing with other folks is a bonus.

The virus had zero to do with my decision to stop going to start with and zero to do with my decision to not return.

Hopefully they keep up the shorter span to hit streaming platforms.
Hubbub (09-22-21)
Old 09-19-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm fully vaccinated and last year (when theaters had to severely reduce capacity), I was fairly comfortable, as I also wear a mask 100% of the time in public places.

When capacity slowly rose, I still felt fairly comfortable because while capacities increased, theaters still kept spaces between attendees.

Recently, I saw a film with a friend and the theater was packed and I was very uncomfortable, as every seat that could be sold was sold and there wasn't that space between seats anymore.

I love the theater experience (namely the big screen & sound), so I'll probably just try to go during random times where there aren't a lot of people.

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-19-21 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 12:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I've seen the following movies in theaters since the pandemic:

Tenet (last year)
Godzilla vs Kong
A Quiet Place Part II
The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard
F9: The Fast Saga
Black Widow
Snake Eyes
The Suicide Squad
Jungle Cruise
Free Guy
Shang-Chi (twice)

Kong, Black Widow, and especially Shang-Chi had quite a few people. The rest not too many. Shang-Chi was packed both times.
Old 09-22-21, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I went to see Free Guy a couple weeks ago. It felt good to be back for the first time since February 2020, but it was a small theater with only like 5 other people besides my friend and I. My first crowded, Dolby Cinema film will be Spider-Man.
Old 09-22-21, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm fully vaccinated and last year (when theaters had to severely reduce capacity), I was fairly comfortable, as I also wear a mask 100% of the time in public places.

When capacity slowly rose, I still felt fairly comfortable because while capacities increased, theaters still kept spaces between attendees.

Recently, I saw a film with a friend and the theater was packed and I was very uncomfortable, as every seat that could be sold was sold and there wasn't that space between seats anymore.

I love the theater experience (namely the big screen & sound), so I'll probably just try to go during random times where there aren't a lot of people.
I have always had to have the aisle seat when I’m with people. I just can’t stand sitting next to a stranger in normal times.

Went to Tenet last August, and it was not crowded but I got up and left after 20 minutes.

just didn’t care to be there. It’s not the same anymore.

asianxcore (09-26-21)
Old 09-22-21, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

I've been to the theater 4-5 times in the last 6 months. My wife's friend reserved a theater each time so there were only 8-10 of us in the theater with my wife and I in a row by ourselves each time. I'm personally fine with never going to an actual movie theater again in my life. I'm perfectly content watching movies on my TV.
Old 09-22-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I've only seen Quiet Place II, Fast 9 and Shang-Chi (twice) in theaters. It has no real appeal for me anymore and I vastly prefer watching at home. I'll keep doing that until the studios stop offering it, but as of right now - if it's available to watch at home instead, I'll choose that in a heartbeat.
Old 09-22-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been to see a couple movies (Free Guy, much better than I thought it'd be, and F9, not as good as I thought it'd be), and my wife and I saw one (Cruella, better than I thought it'd be.)
We wore masks in the theater and till we got to our seats. The theatre we go to has big seats with big armrests so even if someone is right next to me, they're not really 'right next to me'.
I want to go again, I like the movie theater experience, but it does feel a little different. I have absolutely not gotten my money's worth recently with A List.
Between personal stuff and schedules, the lingering anxiety of covid, day-and-date streaming release, and the upcoming movie season which may or may not have any 'gotta see in the theater' movies, I will probably see vastly fewer in the theater for at least another few months.
Old 09-22-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I hadn't watched a movie in a theater since Tenet, last year the theater was half empty. Two people were allowed to sit next to each other and every other row was empty. I guess they didn't really make money. Yesterday I watched Dune with three friends. The theater demaned the audience to be vaccinated and checked at the entrance, We were allowed to sit next to each other and there was an empty seat between every group who purchased their tickets together. Masks had to be worn in the foyer but not after you put your ass in the seat. I'd guess 20% of the seats were empty.
Old 09-22-21, 05:32 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I went and saw Citizen Kane through a Fathom Events showing on Sunday. First time I’d been in a theatre since Covid began....social distancing was easy since we were the only two people at the showing.
Old 09-22-21, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
I went and saw Citizen Kane through a Fathom Events showing on Sunday. First time I’d been in a theatre since Covid began....social distancing was easy since we were the only two people at the showing.
How was the video quality? I'm assuming that's what we're getting when the CC 4K disc is released.
Old 09-22-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I have always had to have the aisle seat when I’m with people. I just can’t stand sitting next to a stranger in normal times.

Went to Tenet last August, and it was not crowded but I got up and left after 20 minutes.

just didn’t care to be there. It’s not the same anymore.
So translation, you hate being around people you don't know.
Old 09-22-21, 06:46 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
How was the video quality? I'm assuming that's what we're getting when the CC 4K disc is released.
I assumed the same but didn't really get that impression from the presentation. I have no idea what type of hardware they use or if they even display it properly.
But I also don't really know what to expect from a 80 year old film on a large theatre screen. I thought the image was a little soft, but still looked great.
Old 09-22-21, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

The movie experience hasn't really changed for me since I started going back at the end of July.

I hardly ever saw something on opening weekend unless it was the early morning Sunday show. I have always avoided seeing movies with crowds and COVID has only made it easier to avoid the crowds. But now I look even more for the deserted showings. I try to see a movie early in the afternoon/evening (say between 3 and 5pm) on a weekday (except Friday). Before I buy tickets, I wait until about half an hour before so I can see what seats are taken, what has sold and so I can buy seats nowhere near anyone else if possible. But I used to do that pretty much before the pandemic.

I was kind pissed the other day. Bought tickets a half hour before and the theater was basically empty with the exception of about 4 other seats sold. Got there and went to sit down and a couple had bought the two seats right next to my son and me. What the fuck? They have the entire theater to pick from and they bought the seats right next to us??? People suck. So we sat in seats on a row no one was sitting at and prayed no one else came in and sat next to us or said that we had their seats.
Old 09-23-21, 12:31 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I was kind pissed the other day. Bought tickets a half hour before and the theater was basically empty with the exception of about 4 other seats sold. Got there and went to sit down and a couple had bought the two seats right next to my son and me. What the fuck? They have the entire theater to pick from and they bought the seats right next to us??? People suck. So we sat in seats on a row no one was sitting at and prayed no one else came in and sat next to us or said that we had their seats.

LMAO - this was me when I had AMC A List going to see Tarantino and Midsommar two years ago. Trying to time it right, seeing how many seats had been purchased and where right before showtime
Old 09-23-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hardly ever saw something on opening weekend unless it was the early morning Sunday show. I have always avoided seeing movies with crowds and COVID has only made it easier to avoid the crowds. But now I look even more for the deserted showings. I try to see a movie early in the afternoon/evening (say between 3 and 5pm) on a weekday (except Friday). Before I buy tickets, I wait until about half an hour before so I can see what seats are taken, what has sold and so I can buy seats nowhere near anyone else if possible. But I used to do that pretty much before the pandemic.
I always saw movies opening night if I could - those people were committed. It was the rando matinee showings I'd sometimes go to that always had a much higher chance of someone bringing their baby or taking a group of toddlers to a Rated R movie.

Old 09-23-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I always saw movies opening night if I could - those people were committed. It was the rando matinee showings I'd sometimes go to that always had a much higher chance of someone bringing their baby or taking a group of toddlers to a Rated R movie.
Funny. I have always had the exact opposite experience. I have seen that more on opening nights and in larger crowd showings. One the main reasons I always typically wait.

People on their bright ass phones seem to love the opening weekends more in my area as well.
Old 09-23-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny. I have always had the exact opposite experience. I have seen that more on opening nights and in larger crowd showings. One the main reasons I always typically wait.

People on their bright ass phones seem to love the opening weekends more in my area as well.
Weird - yeah, for the event movies (like Marvel movies), you actually have to make a little effort to go there. And I've seen people get shushed and such more often. Usually it's the superfans there opening night and they aren't gonna tolerate any disturbances
Old 06-02-22, 12:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
How has your movie theater experiences (post-Covid) been?

i know it's not over, but the shutdowns are primarily, i posted this in Covid start again thread, my first movie back wase Top Gun: Maverick (which would make it a solid 2yrs, 3mos since last theater experience). opening day, real theater, real people. it was cool, i felt comfortable with no mask and no one near me really and i will def see Thor 4 next month.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.