Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Golden Globes: Hollywood Foreign Press under fire; NBC cancels 2022 broadcast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://deadline.com/2021/05/golden-...pa-1234753314/

The Golden Globes are cancelled in 2022 by NBC due to the Hollywood Foreign press controversy. No show. It may return in 2023.
Old 05-10-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Golden Globes 2021...TV discussion thread, i guess. (Sun, 2.28.21)

When the biggest movie star in the world returns his Golden Globes, that's a pretty telling sign your organization needs reform.

Old 05-10-21, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Damn!
Old 05-10-21, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Wow, house of cards tumbling down.
Old 05-10-21, 04:15 PM

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
IBJoel (05-11-21), majorjoe23 (05-11-21)
Old 05-10-21, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I suspect there was a lot of pressure inside the industry after the horrible showing of the Oscars in the ratings to target the Golden Globes, since they were/are ripe for criticism. The thinking probably is that the Oscars will do better with one less major awards show to worry about...it won't work, of course (those great ratings aren't coming back), but I'm guessing that's what the thinking is.
Old 05-10-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Tom Cruise returns his Golden Globes; NBC cancels 2022 broadcast

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which awards Golden Globes, is being attacked for lack of diversity. It has 86 members, none of whom are Black. In this era, that seems a bit odd. They're promising that they'll do better. A lot of people don't believe it. Major players like Amazon, Netflix, and WarnerMedia have cut ties.

Tom Cruise Returns His Three Golden Globe Trophies To Join Protest Against HFPA

EXCLUSIVE: Add Tom Cruise to the chorus of outrage against the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Deadline hears that the actor today has delivered back to the HFPA the three Golden Globe trophies he has won over the years.

The trophies just sent to HFPA headquarters are the Best Actor prize he won for Jerry Maguire, the Best Actor prize he won for Born on the Fourth of July and the Best Supporting Actor prize he won for Magnolia. This is a new tack, but I wouldn’t be surprised if others follow his lead and that the reception area of the HFPA could be crammed with golden trophies.

Sources said this just happened, as the Golden Globes house of cards continues to crumble and NBC canceled next year’s broadcast. Cruise becomes the latest star to speak out, including Netflix, Amazon and NBC among others over the slow crawl the organization is making to reform its lack of diversity.

HFPA Reforms Slammed As “Window-Dressing Platitudes” By Time’s Up; PR Gurus Push For Haste
Golden Globes 2022 Canceled On NBC As HFPA Struggles To Reform To Hollywood’s Stipulations

There will be no Golden Globes on NBC in 2022, as the besieged Hollywood Foreign Press Association continues to falter in reforming itself to the satisfaction of Hollywood studios and stakeholders.

“We continue to believe that the HFPA is committed to meaningful reform,” the Comcast-owned network said this morning. “However, change of this magnitude takes time and work, and we feel strongly that the HFPA needs time to do it right. As such, NBC will not air the 2022 Golden Globes. Assuming the organization executes on its plan, we are hopeful we will be in a position to air the show in January 2023.”

Sure to dramatically shuffle the awards-season deck as Tinseltown and America gingerly come out of the coronavirus pandemic, the decision to shutter the 2022 Globes was made earlier Monday as WarnerMedia joined Netflix and Amazon this weekend in cutting off ties with the HFPA due to their collective lack of confidence in the nonprofit group to enact serious systemic reform.

Related Story

Tom Cruise Returns His Three Golden Globe Trophies To Join Protest Against HFPA

In the fog of upheaval right now, it is unclear whether NBC will be paying the HFPA the $60 million annual fee for the 2022 right to air Globes, which is produced by dick clark productions. NBCUniversal inked a new eight-year deal with the HFPA and dcp in 2018 to continue its long-term broadcasting of the ceremony until 2026 with the inflated price tag.

Color Of Change Chief Says Golden Globes Symbolize Hollywood’s Broken Promises On Diversity – Guest Column

Having seen its reforms and relevance crash and burn for the time being, the only statement so far from the HFPA today was a tweet on international box office just before the news of the 2022 shuttering broke
This is the World Box Office for the week of May 3-9, 2021. https://t.co/nL4ywqMNuN#BoxOffice pic.twitter.com/hjvW23EHPC

— Golden Globe Awards (@goldenglobes) May 10, 2021

A magnet for controversy for decades, the Globes have been on increasingly shaky footing this year since it was revealed just before February’s semi-virtual shindig that the HFPA has zero Black members.

Hit by a savvy campaign by Time’s Up on the eve of the 78th Globes in February, a trio of HFPA brass tried to mitigate events by taking to the stage and promising to increase representation and adopt polices of great inclusion. To say that that attempt went over badly is an understatement of blockbuster proportions.

Since then, things have gone from bad to horrible as the HFPA leadership has applied one Band-id after another as Hollywood’s top studios and talent have expressed displeasure with the group overall.

Ellen Pompeo Pens Open Letter To HFPA, “White Hollywood” Amid Golden Globes Controversy: “Pull Up, Show Up And Get This Issue Resolved”

On May 6, around 75 of the insular HFPA’s 86 members voted for an inclusion and overhaul proposal the group’s board put forth at the beginning of that week in hopes of reframing the narrative. Chatter over the weekend, especially when Netflix’s co-CEO Ted Sarandos announced that the streamer wouldn’t engage with the HFPA until real reform was in place, was making it loud and clear that it was too little, too late.

The admittedly first-step reforms are a 50% increase in membership in the next 18 months, hiring of a CEO and other top governance positions (though no replacement for long-term General Counsel/Chief Operating Officer George Goeckner is in the cards) and conduct and ethics measures. After the 78th Globes and before the latest vote, the HFPA saw racially offensive remarks from a former president and newly minted Diversity and Inclusion advisor Dr. Shaun Harper and fixer supreme/Scandal inspiration Judy Smith both walk out in frustration last month.

With the events of the past week and the announcement by NBC today, the duo’s exit looks positively prophetic.

Old 05-10-21, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

And I was so eager to see Liz Olsen and Kathryn Hahn get rewarded for WandaVision.

Old 05-10-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And I was so eager to see Liz Olsen and Kathryn Hahn get rewarded for WandaVision.
I'm guessing they both got paychecks.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-11-21)
Old 05-10-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Re: Golden Globes: Hollywood Foreign Press under fire; NBC cancels 2022 broadcast

I'm not even going to read any articles to find out what the details of this controversy are because I already know that the Golden Globes are moronic. A group of 100 nobodies decides to give out awards. Who gives a shit? Well, schedule the ceremony in January, and get TBS/TNT, then NBC, to televise it. Now all the celebrities show up to be on TV, and --surprise!-- your POS awards now matter.
Old 05-10-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Golden Globes: Hollywood Foreign Press under fire; NBC cancels 2022 broadcast

I thought the Hollywood foreign press was diverse since it is or was foreign?

Sucks since it is more fun to watch than the Oscars.

Old 05-10-21, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I thought the Hollywood foreign press was diverse since it is or was foreign?

Sucks since it is more fun to watch than the Oscars.
No black members. Mostly European. And very corrupt.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...en-globes-2021
Old 05-11-21, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought maybe they had other minorities like Asians, Spanish, etc.

Old 05-11-21, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I thought maybe they had other minorities like Asians, Spanish, etc.
They do have a few. They paraded out an Indian female member during the telecast this year to talk about their plan to become more diverse in the future.
Old 05-11-21, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
They do have a few. They paraded out an Indian female member during the telecast this year to talk about their plan to become more diverse in the future.
More than a few. I did only find a list of the 2015 members, but about half of those members would be considered "diverse" by American standards, but without black members, which is odd since Sub-Saharan Africa is foreign, pretty big and with a lot of people. They managed to get one member from Sub-Saharan Africa, a white woman from South Africa.
Looks like not a lot has changed since 2015, but to be fair, the demographic in most countries doesn't equal the American demographic. There is no excuse to not include members from Africa, but not having black members from Poland, Italy, Switzerland, Germany or Japan is not insensitive that's just demographics.
Old 05-13-21, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if it not a diverse voting body a lot of movies with minorities got nominated and a lot have won awards.
Old 05-14-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

How does Tom Cruise return his Globes to the HFPA? Do they have an office with a reception desk where Tom can just leave them? Does he have to find out the home address of the "journalist" currently serving as head of the group and take it directly to their house? Is there a post office box that he has to send them to? Just curious.
Old 05-14-21, 01:45 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
How does Tom Cruise return his Globes to the HFPA? Do they have an office with a reception desk where Tom can just leave them? Does he have to find out the home address of the "journalist" currently serving as head of the group and take it directly to their house? Is there a post office box that he has to send them to? Just curious.
“sent to HFPA headquarters”
… which is in West Hollywood.
Old 05-14-21, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I have no problem being part of a cult that tortures its members who aren't superstars, but the HFPA is where I draw the line.
Old 05-14-21, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Runaway
I have no problem being part of a cult that tortures its members who aren't superstars, but the HFPA is where I draw the line.
That's a fair criticism.
Old 01-12-22, 06:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So this happened. Why no one talking about? Bc not on tv? Anyway, some nice wins. Ted Lasso didn’t win comedy but Sudekis won. Lot of love for West Side Story and especially The Power of the Dog. Will Smith won for King Richard and Nicole Kidman for Ricardo’s. Happy Garfield got for tick, tick…Boom! He won’t win Oscar, but at least nominated.
Old 01-12-22, 06:56 PM

The awards were briefly discussed in the Guild and Critics Awards thread. But mostly the HFP is so damaged and compromised that people are largely ignoring them for the time being.
Old 01-12-22, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I do have to ask - is there a film industry or film press in much of Africa? So many of those countries are in a constant state of civil war or unrest, I don't know how they could have much in the way of a movie press.

I would imagine that most of the foreign movie press is located in Europe and Asia. So... people are mad at the people involved being mostly European with some Asians in there, too?

Am I wrong about the foreign movie press for Africa? Is there a significant movie industry/press/media there? I really have no idea.
Old 01-12-22, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I do have to ask - is there a film industry or film press in much of Africa? So many of those countries are in a constant state of civil war or unrest, I don't know how they could have much in the way of a movie press.

I would imagine that most of the foreign movie press is located in Europe and Asia. So... people are mad at the people involved being mostly European with some Asians in there, too?

Am I wrong about the foreign movie press for Africa? Is there a significant movie industry/press/media there? I really have no idea.
If you read the article, many of the members are not actually members of the press. It's not actually a collection of representatives of foreign press entities, in fact there seems to be some kind of concerted effort to not let actual press members in.
Old 01-12-22, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you read the article, many of the members are not actually members of the press. It's not actually a collection of representatives of foreign press entities, in fact there seems to be some kind of concerted effort to not let actual press members in.
Ahhhh.. So, basically, the whole thing was a fraud in the first place.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.