Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (2024, D: Wingard)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 07:06 PM

Received 5,083 Likes on 3,438 Posts

It wasn’t the most encouraging start.

Just as Legendary’s Godzilla vs. Kong was beginning postproduction in 2019, the company’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters opened — and underperformed. The movie, which cost $170 million to make, grossed only $386 million and earned middling reviews (42 percent on Rotten Tomatoes).

Given King of the Monsters’ less-than-stellar results, Legendary insiders had viewed Godzilla vs. Kong as perhaps the end of the current version of the franchise, even as executives believed they had saved the best for last. But then Godzilla vs. Kong opened.

The movie, which bowed stateside March 31 to $31.6 million, has crossed $400 million globally. It is the top-grossing Hollywood-produced movie released since the pandemic upended the movie business. And it has yet to open in multiple larger markets, among them the U.K., Brazil and Japan. It also marks the second-best performance in the four-movie MonsterVerse franchise, trailing only Kong: Skull Island’s 2017 tally of $566 million.

Now, instead of winding down the franchise, Godzilla vs. Kong may ramp it up. The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Legendary is quietly taking steps to stretch the series into one or more installments, entering early talks with Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard to return for another round of monster-on-monster mayhem. If a deal closes, Wingard would be the first helmer to return to the monster fold since Godzilla kicked off the Legendary partnership with Japan’s Toho in 2014 with $524 million in global receipts.

As of now, there’s no timetable for the project as Wingard has become popular among studios. Warner Bros., for example, chased and landed the director for a live-action feature based on the Saturday morning cartoon Thundercats. And a Face/Off sequel at Paramount also beckons. And there is no known writer attached to the new MonsterVerse installment, either.

However, Wingard (CAA, Grandview, Morris Yorn) is said to have been very involved in creating Godzilla vs. Kong set-pieces as well as the world-building for the movie’s Hollow Earth plotline, and he and Legendary have been cooking up plenty of ideas already. In fact, one possible title being floated internally? Son of Kong.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...iew_id=4174345
Old 04-27-21, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,074 Posts
Re: MonsterVerse sequel (D: Wingard) - possibly Son of Kong

I’m always happy for more giant monster movies but I think they need to realize that part of what made G vs K so big was the absolute dearth of new movies in the past year. It was just something to new to watch for many folks.
Old 04-27-21, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,153 Posts

One thing I would like to see, and I don't know if this would be legally possible, would be to make another Godzilla movie using updated monsters from the the 1978 cartoon. There were some interesting designs and concepts there... the Earth Eater, Stone Guardians, Megavolt Monsters, Seaweed Monster. The '78 cartoon also tied into concepts like Atlantis, and Greek and Egyptian mythology, which the Monsterverse films do as well.
Old 04-28-21, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I’m always happy for more giant monster movies but I think they need to realize that part of what made G vs K so big was the absolute dearth of new movies in the past year. It was just something to new to watch for many folks.
Absolutely, but they also noticed that GvK was the one to break through. So spectacle still has a place at the table.
Old 04-28-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

darn, I was thinking Monsters Inc.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One thing I would like to see, and I don't know if this would be legally possible, would be to make another Godzilla movie using updated monsters from the the 1978 cartoon. There were some interesting designs and concepts there... the Earth Eater, Stone Guardians, Megavolt Monsters, Seaweed Monster. The '78 cartoon also tied into concepts like Atlantis, and Greek and Egyptian mythology, which the Monsterverse films do as well.
Ooh, that would be fun. Not sure how the rights would work out, but I would think Toho would automatically have the rights since they were the original IP holder.
As for me, I'd love to see the 1998 Zilla character given another chance (aside from her cameo in Final Wars).

Originally Posted by RichC2
Absolutely, but they also noticed that GvK was the one to break through. So spectacle still has a place at the table.
For sure, but I feel King of the Monsters had that also and didn't seem to land as well (I still loved it).
Old 04-28-21, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1,141 Likes on 662 Posts

I kind of want Godzilla vs. Destroyer, ending with the death of Godzilla and then I think I'm good.
Old 04-28-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 879 Likes on 642 Posts

Way to back a loser... give me Son of Godzilla instead.

The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
Ash Ketchum (04-28-21), milo bloom (04-28-21)
Old 03-21-22, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Shooting in Australia later this year. This is news from an Australian government agency and it's not clear if Adam Wingard is involved or not according to the article.

Old 03-21-22, 04:19 AM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Wonder what this will be about.
Old 03-21-22, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra
Wonder what this will be about.
Gonna go off on a limb here and say it's about two giant monsters that fight.
Old 03-21-22, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Gonna go off on a limb here and say it's about two giant monsters that fight.
Hopefully, one of the kaijus goes by the name of Mr. McMonster and fires other kajijus with his breath.
Old 03-21-22, 08:43 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I loved and hated GvK, but I'm always down for more
Old 03-21-22, 08:49 AM

GvK seemed to embrace the silly side of the Godzilla franchise a bit more, so I try not to be too logical with it. Especially the scene where Godzilla smiles.
Old 03-21-22, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra
GvK seemed to embrace the silly side of the Godzilla franchise a bit more, so I try not to be too logical with it. Especially the scene where Godzilla smiles.
It's one of those "the more you think about it, the worse it gets" movies, but it's also a "turn your ****ing brain off" movies too.

I understand that's saying the same thing, but it makes sense in my brain lol

Last edited by JayTL; 03-21-22 at 09:31 AM.
CyberpunkCentra (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever. Just hook it directly to my veins.
JayTL (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 244 Likes on 167 Posts

Just give me a Pacific Rim crossover with characters from the first PR film.
Old 03-21-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,578 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Who really cares about the Godzilla and King Kong action, I just hope that the obligatory storyline of the precocious boy/girl making amends with his or her workaholic/absent mother/father gets resolved in a satisfying manner. Isn’t that really what we’re all hoping for with these movies?

The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
JeremyM (03-21-22), Kurt D (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 271 Posts

It is the human interaction that counts...
Old 03-21-22, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Who really cares about the Godzilla and King Kong action, I just hope that the obligatory storyline of the precocious boy/girl making amends with his or her workaholic/absent mother/father gets resolved in a satisfying manner. Isn’t that really what we’re all hoping for with these movies?
I'm hoping we find out Godzilla's mom is still alive, but a workaholic/absent and that gets resolved in a satisfying manner. And it's the human characters who brawl and wreck shit
Old 03-21-22, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Hopefully, we get a Monsterverse multiverse movie that gives us the original Godzilla, 1998 Godzilla and 1931, 1976, and 2005 Kongs all fighting each other. Throw in the Cloverfield monster too.
Old 03-21-22, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,172 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Gonna go off on a limb here and say it's about two giant monsters that fight who are married.
Fixed
Old 03-22-22, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Hopefully, we get a Monsterverse multiverse movie that gives us the original Godzilla, 1998 Godzilla and 1931, 1976, and 2005 Kongs all fighting each other. Throw in the Cloverfield monster too.

I would legitimately love to see the 1998 Godzilla get another chance to shine in a movie.

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Fixed
After King of the Monsters, there was a big part of the G fandom that caught on to the chemistry between Godzilla & Mothra and made all kinds of shipping art about them.
Kurt D (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 11:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hope this is good and more like Godzilla: KOTM, GvK held up terrible over time. Not to mention Mechagodzilla was wasted.

Not sure about the whole Son Of Kong thing.....would rather have it be Kong discovering that the Iwis survived and are living in the Hollow Earth protected by the Monsterverse version of the Franenstein kaiju.
Old 05-12-22, 09:14 PM

Received 5,083 Likes on 3,438 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Marking the first major role to be cast in the upcoming sequel, Dan Stevens is set to lead the next installment of Legendary’s Monsterverse film franchise, a follow-up to last year’s Godzilla vs. Kong. Adam Wingard, who helmed the first film, is returning to direct, with production is slated to begin this summer in Australia.

Per usual, plot details are being kept under wraps, other than following the film’s larger-than-life monsters and then preparing for their next battle against each other. Godzilla vs. Kong helped get audiences back in theaters as it became the second film of the Covid era to cross the $100 million mark at the domestic box office en route to $468 million globally. The number is impressive as it also bowed day-and-date on HBO Max.

As for Stevens, while 2017’s live-action Beauty and the Beast was his first major tentpole lead, the veteran actor has been particular in the film roles he has taken, not jumping into major sequels in the past, but the opportunity to reteam with Wingard was too hard to pass up. The two worked together on the action horror thriller The Guest, the Sundance pic that surprised audiences as it gave them a badass performance from Stevens that viewers weren’t used to and critics and fans went crazy for. The film earned both Stevens and Wingard some of the best reviews of their careers, while also having major studios taking notice of the potential of both Stevens and Wingard in their future film slates.
https://deadline.com/2022/05/godzill...bbCYwZc26nlAvU

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.