Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arclight Cinemas and Pacific Theaters will not be reopening

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Arclight Cinemas and Pacific Theaters will not be reopening

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-21, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Arclight Cinemas and Pacific Theaters will not be reopening

If only the title of this thread was "Cinemark Theatres and Regal Cinemas will not be reopening"...
Old 04-20-21, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
IBJoel (04-20-21), Paff (04-20-21)
Old 04-20-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I wish I hadn't laughed as much as I did when I saw that.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-20-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

AMC eyes ArcLight theater locations. What about the Cinerama Dome?

AMC Entertainment, owner of the world’s largest theater chain, is eyeing cinema locations previously operated by ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres.

In a Tuesday filing, AMC Chief Executive Adam Aron said the company is “in discussions” with “multiple landlords” of locations previously operated by the popular Los Angeles-based circuits.

The Leawood, Kan.-based company on Tuesday said it reached an agreement to raise $230.5 million in cash by selling equity to investment firm Mudrick Capital Management, exchanging 8.5 million shares at a price of approximately $27.12 per share.

AMC said it would use the cash to acquire additional theater leases and improve existing locations. The deal differs from AMC’s multiple previous capital-raising efforts during the pandemic, which were intended to keep the company out of bankruptcy court as theaters suffered from closures, restrictions and a lack of new Hollywood movies.

As the box office starts to improve with hits including “Godzilla vs. Kong” and “A Quiet Place Part II,” AMC is exiting the crisis with a mountain of debt exceeding $5 billion. Still, the company appears to be looking for opportunities to expand in key areas as the industry recovers.

“Given our scale, experience and commitment to innovation and excellence, AMC is being presented with highly attractive theater acquisition opportunities,” Aron said in the statement. “With our increased liquidity, an increasingly vaccinated population and the imminent release of blockbuster new movie titles, it is time for AMC to go on the offense again.”

ArcLight and Pacific’s parent company, Los Angeles real estate company Decurion Corp., said in April that it would not reopen its locations, making the respected chain one of the highest-profile movie business casualties of COVID-19’s impact on the economy. The closures sent the film industry into mourning, with filmmakers including Rian Johnson, Edgar Wright, Barry Jenkins and Lulu Wang joining an outpouring of grief, especially over the historic Cinerama Dome on Sunset Boulevard.

Much speculation has swirled around the fate of the Cinerama Dome, a famous location beloved by cinephiles that appeared in Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood.” In the wake of the closure, Twitter users hoped aloud that a company like Netflix, which owns the landmark Egyptian Theatre, would step in to revive it. Netflix has declined to comment.

Crucially, AMC’s announcement did not specifically mention the Cinerama Dome location, which is owned by Decurion. Other theaters in the ArcLight circuit, such as the Santa Monica and Culver City locations, were leased from landlords, who have been squeezed during the pandemic.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...about-cinerama

Make it fucking so, AMC!
IBJoel (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Expansion sounds great for us stock holders.

Why So Blu? (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a big AMC fan, but they're still better than shuttered so if it happens I'll take it.
IBJoel (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
AMC eyes ArcLight theater locations. What about the Cinerama Dome?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...about-cinerama

Make it fucking so, AMC!
We're finally in agreement on something haha. I hope this includes the South Bay Arclight. It's only 2mi or so from the South Bay Galleria AMC.
Why So Blu? (06-01-21)
Old 06-02-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I visited L.A. back in May 2018 for the first time. Of course one of the things I had to do was catch a movie. Saw Infinity War at the Cinerama Dome. Was surprisingly dead, think it was like a Sunday evening showing a few weeks after release. Maybe 10 other people there. Anyway, thought it was a really cool theater and was disappointed to see the news that it's closed now.
Old 06-02-21, 07:38 PM

One of Arclight’s main strengths was that they didn’t show commercials. AMC (All Movies Compromised) would take a huge dump on that.
Old 06-02-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
One of Arclight’s main strengths was that they didn’t show commercials. AMC (All Movies Compromised) would take a huge dump on that.

Who cares. I'd rather have AMC's populating these now empty buildings instead of just sitting there collecting dust. If AMC were to turn the Cinerama Dome into a Dolby CInema screen, it'd be one of the best out there. Small price to pay for commercials. Also, those commercials would generate more money for AMC, so they keep winning.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21), lopper (06-03-21)
Old 06-03-21, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I thought Alan likes things that collect dust.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
lopper (06-03-21), Obi-Wanma (06-07-21)
Old 06-03-21, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Who cares. I'd rather have AMC's populating these now empty buildings instead of just sitting there collecting dust. If AMC were to turn the Cinerama Dome into a Dolby CInema screen, it'd be one of the best out there. Small price to pay for commercials. Also, those commercials would generate more money for AMC, so they keep winning.
100%
I'd either lose a few minutes driving to a different theater or I'd lose them from a few extra trailers (I think Arclight was capped at 3?).
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21), Why So Blu? (06-03-21)
Old 06-03-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
100%
I'd either lose a few minutes driving to a different theater or I'd lose them from a few extra trailers (I think Arclight was capped at 3?).

Indeed. Even iPic shows trailers (11 minutes worth) and they're a much more expensive theater.
IBJoel (06-03-21)
Old 06-03-21, 07:48 PM

If AMC were to turn the Cinerama Dome into a Dolby CInema screen, it'd be one of the best out there.
I can see it now- rip out the current screen and replace it with one that's native 1.85 with no masking, also put in lots of aisle lights that shine on the screen. If they have curtains there definitely rip those out too, you gotta keep those open to show commercials.

Small price to pay for commercials. Also, those commercials would generate more money for AMC, so they keep winning.
You must have never worked in the theater business. The people who run AMC are greedy, they don't deserve money or "winning". Commercials desecrate the sanctity of theaters- they reduce the experience to just a larger TV and encourage patrons to treat it as such. The last straw was when I went to see Rise of Skywalker and they showed a fucking toilet paper commercial with the cartoon bears- ways to wipe my ass is just what I want to see on the screen prior to a Star Wars movie. Disney along with Warner Bros used to not even allow ads to be shown with their movies, but of course they've relented on that. My TV has shown far fewer commercials than many theater screens, that shouldn't even be possible. The amount of money theaters make from them should be the amount of revenue they lose from people who no longer patronize their theater because of the commercials.
Old 06-05-21, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can see it now- rip out the current screen and replace it with one that's native 1.85 with no masking, also put in lots of aisle lights that shine on the screen. If they have curtains there definitely rip those out too, you gotta keep those open to show commercials.

You must have never worked in the theater business. The people who run AMC are greedy, they don't deserve money or "winning". Commercials desecrate the sanctity of theaters- they reduce the experience to just a larger TV and encourage patrons to treat it as such. The last straw was when I went to see Rise of Skywalker and they showed a fucking toilet paper commercial with the cartoon bears- ways to wipe my ass is just what I want to see on the screen prior to a Star Wars movie. Disney along with Warner Bros used to not even allow ads to be shown with their movies, but of course they've relented on that. My TV has shown far fewer commercials than many theater screens, that shouldn't even be possible. The amount of money theaters make from them should be the amount of revenue they lose from people who no longer patronize their theater because of the commercials.

Again, who cares. It's about keeping the building in tact and not letting it go to disrepair or demolishing it. It's a historical landmark. Stop being romantic about it. Let them go in there and do their thing and keep it operational. If you want to see old films then go to revival houses or whatever. We are talking about the future here.

As far as the toilet paper commercials go, well, they were trying to tell you something about the SW films. Sounds about right.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
IBJoel (06-05-21), John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 06-05-21, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Back in the days when you had to show up at the theater early to get a good seat, I always thought they should have shown music videos between showings.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 06-05-21, 01:22 PM

The Cinerama Dome is already protected from
demolition. Being Los Angeles I can’t see it being closed for long, and there are far better operators than AMC who could run it. It’s the theaters outside LA that nobody cares about, those either get taken over by crappy chains or torn down.

I did see a music video shown during a digital preshow, but proper theaters have curtains closed til the show starts with music playing that fits the movie.
Old 06-07-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

but proper theaters have curtains closed til the show starts with music playing that fits the movie.
Are there ANY theaters that actually do this anymore, or is this more just you living in the past? 'Cuz I've been to many theaters, independent and chain, bargain to boutique (though for full disclosure, I've never been to an Alamo Drafthouse), and they all have some kind of on-screen content pre-show.
Boondock Saint (06-14-21)
Old 06-07-21, 10:53 AM

And that is not a good thing. The Chinese Theater in Hollywood still has curtains, but any proper theater should also. If I want to see commercials I’ll watch TV, at least I don’t have to pay for that.
Old 06-07-21, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't necessarily disagree with you, but sometimes you have to accept reality and realize that things change and don't come back. Especially if money's involved. No way is a theater chain going to dismiss with the revenue they get from including pre-show commercials, as distasteful as we both find them.

I know you're not a sports fan so this comparison will probably go over your head, but you remind me of my dad who every week expressed his hope that the halftime show of the NFL broadcast would show the marching bands on the field instead of scores and highlights. And every week he'd be disappointed. At what point do you accept that something has changed in the world and isn't coming back?
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 06-07-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Are there ANY theaters that actually do this anymore, or is this more just you living in the past? 'Cuz I've been to many theaters, independent and chain, bargain to boutique (though for full disclosure, I've never been to an Alamo Drafthouse), and they all have some kind of on-screen content pre-show.
The Warren Theaters in Wichita, KS had waterfall curtains on the screen that were raised when the lights went down. They also had ushers wearing tuxedos and white gloves.

Unfortunately, Bill Warren sold the theaters to Regal, and the curtains came down and the white gloves went away. Whenever I was in Wichita, I usually went out of my way to catch a movie at one of those theaters. I went back once, after the sale, and the experience was very different. Haven't been back since. From what I've heard, Regal barely even bothers cleaning the places.

You can see the curtains in action in the video at this link:

https://www.kansas.com/news/business...e74101227.html

And here's a light show from one of Warren's theaters in Oklahoma, featuring a light show before The Force Awakens.

Saw TFA at a Warren in Wichita, and they did a similar light/music show it, though I don't recall it being as elaborate. The last movie I saw there was Solo, and Regal had taken down the curtains by that time.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 06-07-21, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Ken Cinema (Landmark operated) was the last one in town to not have pre-show ads. The curtains were already open though, they just kept the screen blank and played music. It closed right before Covid hit (actually, the farewell "festival" of old films they were gonna show was scheduled for March of 2020 but obviously that never happened).

One chain that I actually liked their pre-show content was the unfortunately short-lived Madstone. They did the "movie title scramble" game on their slides. First movie was "iP" (answer was Pi), the next was "4981" (1984), then finally a complete jumble of several dozen non sensical letters. Answer to that one was "Dr. Strangelove, or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb". I just remember two girls in the row behind me saying "these games are stupid", completely missing the joke. I had a feeling the theater would not last and it didn't.
IBJoel (06-07-21)
Old 06-07-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
My local theater does this for specific screenings. Depending on the situation, the projectionist would come out and talk about the print quality, director, history of the movie, etc. I saw a midnight showing of Scarface a few years ago and he said he projected it when it originally came out, and it’s as crappy a movie then as it is now
IBJoel (06-07-21)
Old 06-08-21, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Josh, that light show is freaking awesome, and more theaters should do something like that for certain films. It would certainly incentivize me to get the the theater early (even having bought reserved seats) and that means I might actually buy some concessions while I enjoy the show before the film. I should note that since I am fully vaccinated and so far Covid variants are not as nasty a thing as they are in the U.K. and India that I might venture to the theater later this summer (still a big maybe, as HBO is committed to putting up certain films on HBO Max through at least Dec of this year which makes it easy to enjoy a tentpole type film in the comfort of my apt). I get why we no longer get curtains and we get commercials but Alan is not wrong, it removed some of the magic of going to the theater. The price of tickets, even for matinees can be up to $16-18 or more in certain theaters and theatrical markets like LA and NY, so folks are clearly willing to spend on tickets for certain films and we used to get curtains and music before the film. Heck, even the trivia stuff beats a plain jane commercial. Although my sister might disagree with me, as she lucked out and a commercial that her and my niece were in (one of those Chevrolet commercials) played before Endgame and helped cushion my nieces college fund big time, lol.
Old 06-08-21, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

And that is not a good thing. The Chinese Theater in Hollywood still has curtains, but any proper theater should also. If I want to see commercials I’ll watch TV, at least I don’t have to pay for that.
I'm sorry, but with reserved seating today, you can't complain about pre-show commercials since you no longer have to arrive early to fight for good seats. And if you don't want to see trailers, you can add another 10 minutes to the start time before you sit down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.