Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arclight Cinemas and Pacific Theaters will not be reopening

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

https://deadline.com/2021/04/arcligh...ng-1234732936/

Sad news for the LA movie scene. And Arclight was just getting started in other markets.
Old 04-12-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,685 Likes on 2,651 Posts
Re: Arclight Cinemas and Pacific Theaters will not be reopening

I know most of you guys here don't live in California, but the Arclight has a lot of fans. It hosted a lot of premieres and Q&A panels with actors and filmmakers.

Scott Mantz loved the Arclight, it was practically his 2nd home.

As I said in the other thread, I've been to the Arclight in Hollywood a few times. I used to work at a Post Production house right behind it. I can't remember what I saw there though. It is a more upscale movie theater. So it wouldn't be the type of theater the core audience of this forum would visit.

As for Pacific theatres. There was in my area in Lakewood, CA that I went to a few times a year maybe. It was kind of old and a little run down and they never upgraded the seats either. Kind of sad to see it shut down for good as it never reopened as it was closed since last March.

I read the chains Arclight and Pacific owed so much back rent.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-13-21)
Old 04-12-21, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

End of an era for sure.

Looks like Wonder Woman was the last movie I saw there, at the Sunset location. Never got around to the Dome.
Old 04-12-21, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 953 Likes on 727 Posts

We have had an Arclight here. A bit expensive, but I did see Mad Max, Skyfall, Rogue One and Gravity there, along with 70mm showings of The Hateful Eight and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'll miss it, hope someone takes over the space. And keeps the film projector in use.
Old 04-12-21, 08:37 PM

Received 4,630 Likes on 3,135 Posts

There’s no way QT is going to let the Cineramadome shut down.
Old 04-12-21, 08:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

QT? Ha, funny.

I went there once, it was a cool experience. I guess it’s more the history that will be missed. I didn’t find the movie experience itself being all too different.
Old 04-12-21, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,198 Likes on 922 Posts

Last film I saw there was Pulp Fiction, in the dome, and Reservoir Dogs. It was during the QT festival leading up to the OUATIH's release. Pulp Fiction in The Dome was epic and it was the first time I had seen it on the big screen.
Old 04-12-21, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,052 Posts

That is sad. I saw Watchmen at the Arclight when I was in LA and had to kill time before a late flight. It was a really neat theater.
Mike86 (04-13-21)
Old 04-12-21, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

So this also includes Arclight Cinemas in Boston as well?
Old 04-12-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So this also includes Arclight Cinemas in Boston as well?
That’s my question too. I’m assuming so unfortunately. That place was just getting started.
Old 04-12-21, 09:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

ugh - and the Bethesda Maryland theatre had the best properly calibrated Dolby Atmos system in the DC metro area - so unfortunate and sad news.
Old 04-12-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
That’s my question too. I’m assuming so unfortunately. That place was just getting started.
Goddammit.
Old 04-12-21, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It is a more upscale movie theater. So it wouldn't be the type of theater the core audience of this forum would visit.
Ouch
Old 04-12-21, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
As for Pacific theatres. There was in my area in Lakewood, CA that I went to a few times a year maybe. It was kind of old and a little run down and they never upgraded the seats either. Kind of sad to see it shut down for good as it never reopened as it was closed since last March.
I hated those theaters. I thought when they closed the Pacific Lakewood South, they'd upgrade the main theaters, but they never did. It was the ghetto theater. Lakewood Mall never helped its cause either. Still, it had a lot of memories. I saw the Gremlins test screening there back in the day.

Sad to see the Cinerama Dome go. I'm sure some company will buy it and restore it. Many special screenings there before it came under the Arclight ownership. Will always remember the Back to Back to Back screening of all 3 BttF films when Part III was released and Lea Thompson in the audience.
Old 04-12-21, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There’s no way QT is going to let the Cineramadome shut down.
It's a little more expensive to run and restore than the New Beverly tho. It was nice when Amoeba was next door, but now, what foot traffic is there?
Old 04-12-21, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
ugh - and the Bethesda Maryland theatre had the best properly calibrated Dolby Atmos system in the DC metro area - so unfortunate and sad news.
That sucks. I still hope the Uptown can come back. And at least the AFI Silver is pretty much invincible.
Old 04-12-21, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,198 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It's a little more expensive to run and restore than the New Beverly tho. It was nice when Amoeba was next door, but now, what foot traffic is there?
Yeah, totally forgot about Amoeba. They're over by the Fonda Theater and Pantages now. There's pretty much no more reason to even go to that stretch of Sunset Blvd anymore.
Old 04-12-21, 11:12 PM

IBJoel (04-13-21)
Old 04-12-21, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I’m not exactly saying he needs to be the one to buy it. There are just too many Hollywood elite who are attached to that place to let it not survive.
Old 04-12-21, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
That sucks. I still hope the Uptown can come back. And at least the AFI Silver is pretty much invincible.
Ah, a fellow D.C. area resident. Yeah, I was gutted when the Uptown closed. I had been going there since I was a kid with my parents. Movies from "Earthquake" in Sensurround to "Out of Africa", "Dances with Wolves", "Jurassic Park", "The Matrix" (etc). And so many revival films like "2001", "Wizard of Oz", "Vertigo", "Altered States", "Blade Runner" and "Close Encounters" for it's 40th anniversary. Which was the last time I went to the Uptown. Sadly I never saw any of the "Star Wars" movies there, including the original when it opened and played for almost a year (!). "Grease" also played there too for several months back in 1978. That would have been fun to see there on that huge screen with their great sound system.
Old 04-12-21, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 841 Likes on 554 Posts

I’ve been to LA four times and always wanted to go to a show at the dome by amoeba. My traveling companions never wanted to go.
I’m going back in August and my buddy that I’m going with was actually up for it.
Fuck.

Last edited by Toddarino; 04-13-21 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Received 1,073 Likes on 625 Posts

Ugh, that SUCKS. I'd go to the El Segundo Arclight after work, if there was a big movie coming out. It was there that I saw all of the new Star Wars (minus Solo) there, Jurassic World 1 & 2, Infinity War, and Detective Pikachu. My girlfriend and I were planning on making that our first theater experience, post-vaccination.

I'm concerned that the whole little center there will fall apart without it and no theater will come in because the real estate in the area is quite expensive. That Arclight was the only theater in the Beach Cities.
Old 04-13-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

I wish I had made it to the dome back when I lived in the area.
Old 04-13-21, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,548 Posts

This does make me really sad, though to be honest I haven't made it out to an Arclight since I had my second kid (I think).

And reading this thread, and then reading the "unpopular but kinda popular" opinions thread, it unfortunately all falls together.
Old 04-13-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Ah, a fellow D.C. area resident. Yeah, I was gutted when the Uptown closed. I had been going there since I was a kid with my parents. Movies from "Earthquake" in Sensurround to "Out of Africa", "Dances with Wolves", "Jurassic Park", "The Matrix" (etc). And so many revival films like "2001", "Wizard of Oz", "Vertigo", "Altered States", "Blade Runner" and "Close Encounters" for it's 40th anniversary. Which was the last time I went to the Uptown. Sadly I never saw any of the "Star Wars" movies there, including the original when it opened and played for almost a year (!). "Grease" also played there too for several months back in 1978. That would have been fun to see there on that huge screen with their great sound system.
I wish I could say I went to the Uptown more often, but I only went about five times. The multiplexes made things a little too easy, unless it was a big event and I was organizing 10+ people like The Dark Knight. Last movie I saw there was Skyfall. Now in the Boston area, there are a couple of historic theaters, but not the kind that would house premieres.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.