Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 08:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 917 Likes on 775 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

That maudlin song scene where Barry saves Iris was ok, but honestly, more than an hour in and it’s somber, dark, and kinda depressing. I sure hope the next 2 parts pick up. I thought it said chapter 3 and I thought there were 6 total plus pro and epi logs. So far deeply dark and downright depressing stuff. I’m not sure if I’m jaded with world or what, but I need goodness u to o watch. Not the bad. The news has the bad. I watch, I read, I keep up to date with all. My movies need to take me away, not make me depressed that there so dark and depressed fighting a long drawn out battle against Thanos while trying to keep safe the 3 infinity boxes. Ugh. I’m turning on F&WS. This if ever I’m depressed enough and I sure hope that’s far off...
Old 03-20-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I’m 17 minutes in and all of those 17 minutes could have been cut with those 2 tearjerker songs for Aquaman and Lois visiting Supes grave. I hope it gets better from here, bc my god was that unnecessary.
Hey I love that Nick Cave song.

Whatever. I really loved this. I feel like watching it again. But I have a hard time getting HBO Max to stream to my TV. It just doesn’t work sometimes.
Old 03-20-21, 08:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 917 Likes on 775 Posts

Works perfect for me. Maybe uninstall and reinstall?
Old 03-20-21, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
There's a lot to go over, but overall I think it's about even with Whedon's cut. Main thing though: I lost my mind when Steppenwolf flexed the arrows out of himself. So hilariously stupid.

They weren't in him to begin with. His armor did that. His armor was like a symbiote.
Old 03-20-21, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
If covid wasn't a thing those same folks would be beside themselves in anticipation of seeing an entire move in IMAX, lol.
But since COVID is a thing, no one is seeing this in IMAX. So it's a pretty stupid decision to present it like it is.

It's actually impressive that Snyder made a massive event movie and currently the best screen to watch it on is an iPad
Old 03-20-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by jwb0323
Darkseid kills her

Holy hell ... I missed an entire sequence somewhere. I know I was nodding off, but I didn’t think it was that bad.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Ares wore the helmet with the horns and was next to Zeus and Artemis. He landed the near deathblow on Darkseid with his battle axe. I think it was Thewlis but de-aged. He had the mustache from WW, too. Some people kept commenting that Zeus was CGI, but Zeus, Artemis, and Ares were played by actual people.
This was from 2017:
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...s-check-it-out

Damn, I didn’t remember the Green Lanterns from Whedon’s cut either. I give up!
Old 03-20-21, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

They weren't in him to begin with. His armor did that. His armor was like a symbiote.
I know that. I simplified.
Old 03-20-21, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Holy hell ... I missed an entire sequence somewhere. I know I was nodding off, but I didn’t think it was that bad.

This was from 2017:
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...s-check-it-out

Damn, I didn’t remember the Green Lanterns from Whedon’s cut either. I give up!

^Man, does the Whedon cut suck so much. The weird part is that neither version used that particular helmet the actor is wearing. That actor wasn't even in the film. He may have been used as mo-cap but not the actual guy .

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 03-20-21 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-20-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know that. I simplified.
So you hated it because it was Zack Snyder, not because it was actually functional. Gotcha.
Old 03-20-21, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Watched it again this morning and enjoyed it just as much, maybe a bit more. Now, I'd really like to see Ayer's original vision for Suicide Squad (which sounds quite different than what the studio sent out to theaters).

I do find it funny that people are complaining about the aspect ratio. Whenever a big event film comes out that features IMAX content, people rave about it and make sure everyone knows they will be seeing it in IMAX just for those few scenes. Well, this entire movie was framed for showings on an IMAX screen and people lose their minds because it's not "widescreen". If covid wasn't a thing those same folks would be beside themselves in anticipation of seeing an entire move in IMAX, lol.
Miss the point much? The Snyder Cut wasn't made for IMAX. This was made for HBOmax for people to watch at home because Covid. I know zero people that have an IMAX at home, so yeah, pretty 'effing stupid of Snyder to make a movie for a format that it will never be shown on.
Old 03-20-21, 11:12 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Miss the point much? The Snyder Cut wasn't made for IMAX. This was made for HBOmax for people to watch at home because Covid. I know zero people that have an IMAX at home, so yeah, pretty 'effing stupid of Snyder to make a movie for a format that it will never be shown on.
Well they could chop the original film to fit 16:9 but then if fanboys found out they will cry that it wasn’t the original film. Snyder loses both ways. I don’t really mind it. I would prefer to see the original vs a chopped up version just to fit my screen

did you prefer pan and scan over letterbox way back when widescreen TVs weren’t the norm?

Last edited by sye46; 03-20-21 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-20-21, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It was a quick shot. I had no idea what it was showing. And Superman was small in the frame.
Old 03-21-21, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Finished this tonight. Overall, I thought it was fantastic!

I probably could have done without the Epilogue. It felt like it was there for nothing more than to set up a sequel that we’re never going to get. But everything else was top notch.

It’s not really fair to compare this to the Whedon version. That version was incoherent mess but it’s not like WB was going to allow him to release a 4 hour cut so changes had to be made all over the place. I don’t necessarily blame Whedon for the final product but I can’t exactly praise it either. The Snyder Cut is a much more impactful film.

Of course, at 4 hours long, I don’t see myself revisiting it very soon.
Old 03-21-21, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Finished this tonight. Overall, I thought it was fantastic!

I probably could have done without the Epilogue. It felt like it was there for nothing more than to set up a sequel that we’re never going to get. But everything else was top notch.

It’s not really fair to compare this to the Whedon version. That version was incoherent mess but it’s not like WB was going to allow him to release a 4 hour cut so changes had to be made all over the place. I don’t necessarily blame Whedon for the final product but I can’t exactly praise it either. The Snyder Cut is a much more impactful film.

Of course, at 4 hours long, I don’t see myself revisiting it very soon.
There is no way a theatrical Snyder Cut would have been 4 hrs., but I do think ~3 hrs. could have been possible and like you said, cut out the epilogue and you safe 30 minutes. Shorten some scenes and you get 30 minutes more and the movie doesn't lose any quality. There is no need to show Bruce Wayne horseback riding for so long, cut out the creepy song or shorten it and that's just the first couple of minutes of the movie.
Old 03-21-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have yet to see this, but am sure i will prefer it to Whedons, but still feel its lacking.

i am not sure its fair to grade this against the Whedon cut. I have no love for that guy or his work, but if ever there was a movie thag had studio and producer involvement to screw it up, thats the one. Its clear as day that when Snyder left the movie to deal with the family issues the studio saw it as a gift to try and get someone onboard to change the course and style of this movie to fit something more like a Marvel movie. Early talk said they were unhappy with dailies and were probably taking onboard a lot of the criticism from fans and reviewers of the tone of Snyders DC movies. Stupid decision as the movie now had two very different tones and characterization was all over the place. I am sure Whedon had a lot to handle with studio notes, and trying to make a product that appealled to everyone. Impossible task at that point.

I personally like the casting in this movie, i just wish they had better stories for them. Its the biggest problem i have with DC, they dont nail down solid stories, and these characters deserve better.
Old 03-21-21, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Nope, from his mouth his intent was for this to be screened in IMAX. And, if you payed any attention at all to his interviews he intends to do just that (along with the B&W version) when more theaters with IMAX screens open up. I still stand by my comments.

“My intent was to have the movie, the entire film, play in a gigantic 4:3 aspect ratio on a giant IMAX screen. Superheroes tend to be, as figures, they tend to be less horizontal. Maybe Superman when he’s flying, but when he’s standing, he’s more of a vertical. Everything is composed and shot that way, and a lot of the restoration is sort of trying to put that back. Put these big squares back… it’s a completely different aesthetic. It’s just got a different quality and one that is unusual. No one’s doing that.”

Zack Snyder’s Justice League is being presented in a 4:3 aspect ratio. A title card at the beginning of the movie actually tells viewers that HBO Max is presenting the image in that ratio to “preserve the integrity of Zack Snyder’s creative vision.” And yes, Snyder intentionally filmed his action with this aspect ratio in mind. The presentation, which works extremely well on an IMAX screen, delivers taller images that capture more of the top and bottom of a scene, while pulling in the sides. It’s almost like a square (that would be a balanced 4:4 ratio), and according to Fabian Wagner, the film’s cinematographer, this was a conscious decision of Snyder’s from day one.
Old 03-21-21, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Intent ≠ result
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 09:28 AM
Administrator

So you hated it because it was Zack Snyder, not because it was actually functional. Gotcha.
I didn't say I hated it, I said I laughed at how ridiculous it was.
Old 03-21-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Intent ≠ result
Correct, and IMAX sequences have always been cropped for home viewing....that's what makes this decision so perplexing. You aren't losing anything significant at the very top/bottom of the frames, quite often it's just empty space. If this were given a wide release in theaters, it'd be cropped on the vast majority of screens.

Last edited by Artman; 03-21-21 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
There is no way a theatrical Snyder Cut would have been 4 hrs., but I do think ~3 hrs. could have been possible and like you said, cut out the epilogue and you safe 30 minutes. Shorten some scenes and you get 30 minutes more and the movie doesn't lose any quality. There is no need to show Bruce Wayne horseback riding for so long, cut out the creepy song or shorten it and that's just the first couple of minutes of the movie.
Very true. Eliminating the epilogue and making a few cuts here and there, particularly in the first hour and a half, and there could be a pretty solid 3 hour movie.

Of course, one of my biggest complaints about the DC universe is how quickly WB pushed out the movies without allowing any time for the audience to get to know any of the characters. I think Snyder did a pretty decent job of slowing that down and allowing the story and characters some time to breathe. However, after 9 or 10 movies, this may be too little, too late for the audience.

Its a shame too, because I think Snyder set up a world with his cut of JL that I’d like to revisit. Sad that we most likely won’t get a chance.

If nothing else, I appreciate Snyder’s vision for Batman. I’d love to see him be able to direct a stand alone Batman flick some day. I think he’s done a great job with the character and from the little glimpses of Gotham that we saw, he did a good job creating that environment as well.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 03-21-21 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Overall, yes, this is an improvement over the "Josstice League". However, it appears that a lot of that maligned version was actually material shot by Snyder, just edited in a more odd manner with some awkward pick up shots and Whedonesque lines inserted. That being said, a lot of the new stuff was actually good for the DC fan in me, and I'm happy we got it. Just some minor gripes:

-Snyder really needs to cut back on the whole slow motion fetish. For the stuff with the Flash it makes sense, but for everything else it's kind of pretentious. I'm sure if he had portrayed the rest of the stuff in a regular frame rate he could have easily trimmed a good 30 minutes off the movie.

-Did anyone else notice that Amber Heard had what seemed to be a strange English accent variant that wasn't present in Aquaman? She had a small part, but that made her lackluster acting ability very evident.

-Why would they introduce Deathstroke as an obvious villain only to show him less than ten minutes later in the Knightmare sequence as an ally? Unless you were a comic fan, you would have no idea as to who he was or why he was even present.

-Was the whole Knightmare sequence something they shot recently? I know the Jared Leto material was recent, but if the rest was new, it appears that Heard is still in as Meera and Manginello as Death Stroke.

-Martian Manhunter, while cool to see, seemed like pure fan service. But then again, that's what this whole endeavor was to start.
Old 03-21-21, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yes the Knightmare sequence was part of the reshoots.
Old 03-21-21, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Also, are we certain it's Darkseid that kills Lois? It appeared to me that Darkseid was comforting Superman after her death and that he enlists Superman to come work for him. Doesn't make sense that Superman would go work for the man who killed the love of his life.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Also, are we certain it's Darkseid that kills Lois? It appeared to me that Darkseid was comforting Superman after her death and that he enlists Superman to come work for him. Doesn't make sense that Superman would go work for the man who killed the love of his life.
I believe the original concept was that Lois Lane's death makes Superman vulnerable to the Anti-Life Equation, although this is not explained in the film (presumably because it was a plot point in the next one).
Old 03-21-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, from his mouth his intent was for this to be screened in IMAX. And, if you payed any attention at all to his interviews he intends to do just that (along with the B&W version) when more theaters with IMAX screens open up. I still stand by my comments.
You really think an IMAX theater is going to screen a 4 hour movie from the previous year that's a version of a movie from 2017 that has been available to view at home for months by the time that theater opens? Easily halving the number of showings per day for something that a handful of diehards will see, if that (because they've already all seen it at home)? That's something you think will happen in 2022? Not to mention that theaters will still be dealing with the glut of delayed movies that didn't come out in 2020?

It might get a few one-night-showings here and there but there is zero reason for this to be in 4:3 just to accommodate those showings. I mean, my god, HBO Max had to put a disclaimer on this thing because they knew they'd get people asking them what was wrong with the stream. That's a bad move from a director.

I believe the original concept was that Lois Lane's death makes Superman vulnerable to the Anti-Life Equation, although this is not explained in the film (presumably because it was a plot point in the next one).
It would have been nice to get any idea of what the Motherboxes actually do and what the "Anti-Life Equation" actually is. At least Marvel kept the Infinity Stones simple.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.