Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shoplifters of the World (2021) S: Howard, Coltrane, Kampouris, Krause, Manganiello

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shoplifters of the World (2021) S: Howard, Coltrane, Kampouris, Krause, Manganiello

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 06:08 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

In Theaters, On Demand and Digital March 26

Starring Helena Howard, Ellar Coltrane, Elena Kampouris, Nick Krause, James Bloor, Thomas Lennon and Joe Manganiello

Written and Directed by Stephen Kijak

In the Summer of 1987, four friends, reeling from the sudden break-up of the iconic British band The Smiths, embark on a night out of partying to mourn their musical loss. At the same time, an impassioned Smiths fan takes a local radio DJ hostage at gunpoint and forces him to play nothing but Smiths tracks. With the radio station playing as the soundtrack to their night, the friends go on a wild journey of self-discovery that will transform them forever. Featuring an incredible soundtrack – including 20 songs from The Smiths – Shoplifters of the World is a glorious ode to the craziness of the ‘80s and the power of music to change people’s lives.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2241557

They basically show the whole movie in the trailer.

Last edited by dex14; 03-10-21 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-11-21, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Shoplifters of the World (2021) S: Howard, Coltrane, Kampouris, Krause, Manganiello

Watched this at the same time as a friend, we're both huge Smiths fan. We texted each other afterwards.

Me: Terrible film. Specifically the screenplay and acting. With a better script and direction, it could have been decent. I'd give it a 3/10 rating.

My friend: The story is - at best - irrelevant. Can't even rate it. Absolutely dreadful.
Old 04-11-21, 02:52 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Shoplifters of the World (2021) S: Howard, Coltrane, Kampouris, Krause, Manganiello

Yea... it sucked.

There’s another film on Prime “featuring the music of The Smiths” called The More You Ignore Me. I haven’t given it a shot yet. Maybe that one will be better.
Old 04-11-21, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea... it sucked.

There’s another film on Prime “featuring the music of The Smiths” called The More You Ignore Me. I haven’t given it a shot yet. Maybe that one will be better.
Wow, thank you for this. I've never even heard of it. It has a 78% rating on RT, so I'm hopeful. Putting on now.

Edit: So I watched "The More You Ignore Me". Yes, this is the movie you need to watch if you're a Smiths fan. Although they only play a handful of their songs. "This Charming Man" being one of them. And that one was played 2-3 times. Nice story overall and a lead character you actually care about. Unlike those vapid one dimensional stick figures in that garbage "Shoplifters of the World".

Last edited by Daytripper; 04-12-21 at 04:33 PM.