Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

I just got back from seeing it at an AMC Dine-In and the showing was in AMC Laser.

Anyway, I liked it. Campy as hell and there was lots of over the top gore. Definitely doesn't take itself too seriously. It was relatively short at 95 minutes, so I can't nit pick or complain. I was entertained the whole time and the auditorium I was in wasn't that big, it was almost full. There were several moments when I yelled "Oh shit!" and others did the same. The 80s setting and music made it more fun too. Nice cameo from Keri Russell's partner (Matthew Rhys) at the beginning.

7 out of 10 and a B- Not a movie I would re-watch, but I thought it was a fine Saturday matinee.
Old 02-25-23, 10:16 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: Cocaine Bear (2023, D: Banks, P: Lord/Miller) S: Russell, Liotta, Ehrenreich, Jackson, Ferguson

Saw this with a friend in a sold out show. It was okay. Funny moments, gory moments. But overall it was good, not great. I'll have to think on it. For some reason as soon as I hit the chair I got immediately sleepy, so I was restless even during this short movie. 30 minutes of red band trailers made it a longer night than anticipated, however. I don't know that I'd take the kids, but if so, we'd show up late to avoid trailers like Evil Dead Rises.

I'll have to think on this one and come back here.

Last edited by story; 02-26-23 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-26-23, 05:22 PM

Better the second time.

Well, I did my part. Take my box office money, because I went twice on opening weekend and I brought someone with me both times. I took my oldest kid to see Cocaine Bear for a matinee today and she loved it. Her immediate response was she couldn't wait to tell her classmates to which I said, um, maybe hold off? Then we saw another dad there with a really young kid, maybe 6 years old. Now that is a bad dad!

All that said, I liked it a lot better this second time. Maybe it's because I felt a lot better and a lot less tired, or maybe the joy of watching my kid enjoy it, or I was just more receptive this time, I don't know. The crowd was more into it today, that's for sure. I would see this again, maybe not in the theater but if it was on streaming I'd watch it as soon as it's out, though the kid asked for it on disc for Christmas. I think everyone had fun making this movie and the one who truly did was Margo Martindale. When has she ever had a role like this?! She was a blast, really gave the movie some actual acting elevation right away. I liked, too, that there were mini story threads all throughout, particularly Eddie and Daveed developing a friendship.

A few quick thoughts:
- The very opening, the music and the voiceover as the European couple laid on the rock - it felt like the bedroom scenes of Run, Lola, Run.
- I liked the occasional long tracking shots of the forest, the river, etc. They almost felt like they were trying to invoke Fellowship of the Ring as part of the satire.
- I think all the converging storylines and unique character motivations felt cool. It's almost like an Elmore Leonard novel, when he puts disparate characters together and shakes the box.
- The bear SFX for the most part were really well done. Only a few shots "screamed" CGI, but even those were forgivable and didn't really take me out of things.
- Mark Mothersbaugh officially looped himself with an excellent 80s-inspired soundtrack, I'm listening to it now. Funny enough, tracks #10 and #15 give Cocaine Bear a nickname that I didn't hear in the movie:
Spoiler:
Cokey!

One fun easter egg: there's a red band trailer for Strays that plays before this (yes, we did show up late on purpose to skip a lot of the scary, gory trailers like Evil Dead Rising, but we were there for this one). Look closely in the phone booth in Cocaine Bear, and you'll see...
Spoiler:
There's a "Lost Dog" reward poster for Jamie Foxx's dog character, Bugg, in the phone booth.

Strays is a Universal / Lord Miller release like Cocaine Bear, and I thought that was pretty cool in terms of a "Lord Miller" universe.

My last spoilerized thought for the day:
Spoiler:
Wow, people sure do enjoy eating Ray Liotta!

Last edited by story; 02-26-23 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-26-23, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Had a ton of fun with this. The dialogue and characters were funny even without the bear antics. Between this, Violent Night and M3GAN, Universal is putting out some fun unique stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
Dr. DVD (03-01-23), story (02-26-23)
Old 02-26-23, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I went to an early show yesterday. Hard to review the movie fairly, because as I was walking into the theatre I was struck by a panic attack (I get those occasionally), so I spent the first hour of the film neurotically measuring my pulse and thinking I was going to die. I liked it okay, but it didn't improve on the trailer for it, was just a longer version.
Spoiler:
Ray Liotta's son and workers all turning on him at the end was super corny
. Not surprised it's doing well at the box office, all of its Friday and Saturday showing at my local theatre were pretty much sold out.
Old 02-26-23, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Glad it's doing well! Will maybe stream when it's 'free' to me. Mostly interested to support the director and because I love Liotta.

I suspect such movies are doing well, because people are hungry for something other than the latest IP CGI suckfest.
Old 02-26-23, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw this on Friday at the local 21+ theater that serves adult beverages and food. After 2nd beer, was enjoying the heck out of it. Only thought was, this needed more 80's music, and then Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough" came up at the perfect time.
Is it a great movie, no, but it is the Citizen Kane of cocaine fueled animal movies. Sequels need to feature the cubs growing up and keeping the terror going.
Old 02-27-23, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Warning, article contains spoilers:

Elizabeth Banks reveals which Cocaine Bear character had an even gorier death in original cut
Old 02-28-23, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

This isn't without its charms, but it's not very good. It's probably better than Snakes on a Plane, but I had the same feeling watching Cocaine Bear as I did that one. The pieces are mostly there, but it's just not a competent enough movie.

For one, it's surprisingly not that funny. I was in a mostly filled theater and I'd say 90% of the time it was silent. The jokes are there, and more than a few made me chuckle, but most of the time they just don't land. I thought Margo Martindale and Isaiah Whitlock were the highlights. I love Keri Russell, but I can't for the life of me understand why she's even in this. I laughed reading that article linked above about how one character's death was trimmed because Banks thought by the end of the movie the audience would be caught up in the emotional journey and wouldn't want the extra gore. All I'll say is there is no emotional journey.

I typically advocate for all movies to be seen in a theater, but I can't in good conscience recommend going out to see this one. Maybe I just don't like killer animal movies? I don't know, but I do know that if we're comparing this to other recent low budget, high concept genre fare, Cocaine Bear is way behind Violent Night, Plane and Megan.
Old 03-01-23, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
...so I can't nit pick or complain.

Don't you know where you are?
Old 03-01-23, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw this over the weekend, and I wish I hadn't.

After the movie was over, someone in our group commented that it was like Snakes on a Plane. Firstly, I'd forgotten that movie existed, and second if someone had made that comparison earlier, I would've kept my distance.

I feel particularly bad since that same person who made the Snakes on a Plane comparison hadn't been to a movie theater since before COVID, and their first movie back is fuckin Cocaine Bear.

Yes it had its moments, but the best of them could be edited into a single Tik Tock video, and I'd argue that's the best way to see what this movie has to offer.
Old 03-01-23, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

It was fine. Paid $6 for a tuesday discount price and I don’t feel cheated. Really no need to see it at the theatre, though. Maybe at home where you can be stoneder it would have more appeal.
Old 03-01-23, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Saw this over the weekend, and I wish I hadn't.

After the movie was over, someone in our group commented that it was like Snakes on a Plane. Firstly, I'd forgotten that movie existed, and second if someone had made that comparison earlier, I would've kept my distance.

I feel particularly bad since that same person who made the Snakes on a Plane comparison hadn't been to a movie theater since before COVID, and their first movie back is fuckin Cocaine Bear.

Yes it had its moments, but the best of them could be edited into a single Tik Tock video, and I'd argue that's the best way to see what this movie has to offer.
That person agreed to go to a movie called Cocaine Bear. They bear the responsibility.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (03-01-23)
Old 03-01-23, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That person agreed to go to a movie called Cocaine Bear. They bear the responsibility.
Very nice. 😀

Indeed they do, but it was my recommendation, so I can't help but feel some level of ownership.
Old 03-01-23, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

This movie reminded me of a mix of Snake On A Plane and the recent Violent Night. Both movies tried hard to be funny, but the laughs just aren't there.

Everyone seemed miscast in this. No one was more than amusing and all the jokes fell flat. It seemed all the actors were doing their best to be quirky and funny, but none succeeded in my opinion. Ice Cube's son did not get his father's comic timing.

I will say it was much gorier than I was expecting but that was probably the only thing good about the movie.

I only laughed out loud one time and that was when the park ranger
Spoiler:
slowly said the word "Bear" into the stethoscope and the way it sounded hit me the right way.

For some reason that gave me the best laugh of the movie.

Another issue is that the red trailer basically shows the entire movie minus some of the gore. Definitely skip the theater and stream if you really want to see it.

My rating: **1/2 out of *****
Old 03-06-23, 05:13 PM

I've seen Cocaine Bear three times already. Have some of you really not seen this yet?! Come on, people, get with the program!
Old 03-13-23, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This drops late night tonight on VOD.
Old 04-07-23, 12:40 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Coming to Peacock on April 14.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (04-07-23)
Old 04-15-23, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

This is on Peacock now.

I laughed out loud a handful of times and the entire paramedic sequence is the best part of the movie.

I was wondering about the Perry Mason cameo but then I remembered the The Americans connection.

It falls apart a little at the end when all the characters cross paths but overall I had a good time with this.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 04-15-23 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-15-23, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I was wondering about the Perry Mason cameo but then I remembered the The Americans connection.
Please explain for Raymond Burr fans who haven't watched The Americans. Yet.
Old 04-15-23, 07:54 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Please explain for Raymond Burr fans who haven't watched The Americans. Yet.
Matthew Rhys, who is in a relationship with Kerri Russell, cameos in the beginning of the film. Margo Martindale is in the film too. All three were on The Americans.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Crocker Jarmen (04-15-23), GoldenJCJ (04-15-23)
Old 04-15-23, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Matthew Rhys, who is in a relationship with Kerri Russell, cameos in the beginning of the film. Margo Martindale is in the film too. All three were on The Americans.
I knew they were in The Americans together but I didn’t realize they were dating. That makes even more sense.
Old 04-15-23, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Just watched. I enjoyed it, but wish it had been punchier.
Old 04-15-23, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Make sure to check out the documentary on Peacock about the real cocaine bear. Interesting story to say the least.
Old 04-15-23, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m glad they finally told her story.

This was good. Sits nicely beside Snakes on a Plane. The hype was kinda better than the movie. But the movie still delivered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.