Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most underrated gem in a director or writers resume?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most underrated gem in a director or writers resume?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Re: Most underrated gem in a director or writers resume?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Excellent choices, although I should point out that ZELIG was highly praised and a huge critical favorite when it came out. I was skeptical at all the hype and a friend of mine at the time insisted, "It really is that good!" I eventually saw it and was disappointed. It would have made a good short film--about 30 min., but the concept was, for me, too slight to justify a full-length feature. Of course, it could be considered underrated today, since it's 38 years later and, for obvious reasons, doesn't get talked about as much as MANHATTAN or HUSBANDS AND WIVES or the films that relate more directly in their way to the Woody Allen/Mia Farrow conflict.
The most underrated film in his filmography BY FAR is Match Point. It's a really good drama/thriller that doesn't feel at all like a Woody Allen film. If you didn't Woody's name in the opening credits, I bet most wouldn't realize it's his work. But it is a fine film and kind of a hint at the sort of filmmaker he could have been if things had played out a little differently.
Old 03-08-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
the hookup with Watts was what I didn’t buy, but still a well done, acted scene...
It's the anti-Pretty in Pink ending. You didn't think Duckie and Andie would get together. Everything with Some Kind of Wonderful was the opposite of Pretty in Pink.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's been at least twenty years since I read it, but I remember that the things the movie did with the Jacob character (BBT) being more poignant.
There's a tragic coda in the book which really feels like a gut-punch. I bet the audience felt wrecked enough without it in the film version.
Old 03-08-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I know that it is no secret that I have a bee in my bonnet about Alligator not getting the same type of blue ray/4K treatment on home video as say the film Tremors, so I understand if some folks will roll their eyes at my suggestion that if you are a John Sayles fan you need to make sure to set aside the time to watch Alligator, which was written by John Sayles.

Also, The Brother From Another Planet is another John Sayles film well worth seeking out. It is from 1984, and I only ended up watching because of a class I was taking when I was an undergrad at UC Santa Cruz.

ETA: I ended up watching the film as part of an African American literature class I was taking to get my B.A. in Literature where the professor had us read certain novels and also thought it would be cool if we watched a handful of films that spoke to the African American experience in the United States.
John Pannozzi (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice for Yosujiro Ozu. I admit I have not seen his entire filmography, but I just felt that this film was so much better than Tokyo Story.

The Dark Knight Rises for Christopher Nolan. You could put Insomnia here, too, I just feel like this gets lumped into the "lol plotholes" and "3rd act of a trilogy curse" piles, when it's more of a character study about a superhero with severe depression.

Porco Rosso for Miyazaki. It gets forgotten between Totoro and Mononoke, but it's such a blast of a movie and a better adventure story than Howl or Castle in the Sky.
John Pannozzi (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The most underrated film in his filmography BY FAR is Match Point. It's a really good drama/thriller that doesn't feel at all like a Woody Allen film. If you didn't Woody's name in the opening credits, I bet most wouldn't realize it's his work. But it is a fine film and kind of a hint at the sort of filmmaker he could have been if things had played out a little differently.
Definitely. Watching it almost felt like catching a 50s era Hitchcock film (more Dial M for Murder than Psycho).
Decker (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 03:02 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

A Perfect World by Clint Eastwood features Kevin Costner's best performance and is a great tragedy. I did feel the Laura Dern character was completely unnecessary and kind of shoehorned in.
Old 03-08-21, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

The “obvious” answer for Martin Scorsese is After Hours.
And The King of Comedy.
The following 3 users liked this post by Norm de Plume:
inri222 (03-08-21), John Pannozzi (03-08-21), Why So Blu? (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Deal of the century - William Friedkin
Always - Spielberg
Desperate Living - John Waters
Busting - Peter Hyams
Forrest Gump - Zemeckis (based on this darn forum )
Old 03-08-21, 06:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Hmm. I'm trying to think of directors that I might be able to think of something. Maybe some of these will qualify:

The Limey - Something about this Steven Soderbergh thriller just clicked with me. I liked his play with editing, which he used in other movies in more toned down ways but works better here.
I didn’t even know that was Soderbergh. I loved Terence Stamp in this. He was and the movie was fantastic. Why tf is there no Blu-ray? Anyway, love the movie and most things by Soderbergh.
Old 03-08-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

Is it that underrated? It didn't win any, but it racked up a bunch of GG/Oscar noms. Anecdotally, it seems like one of, if not his most popular later period film on forums like these. For what it's worth, it's also one of Woody's personal favorites. I like it a lot, but it's really just a redp of many of the same themes explored in Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I'd throw out Magic in the Moonlight as an underrated Allen. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but one of the more likeable recent outings.
Old 03-08-21, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Is it that underrated? It didn't win any, but it racked up a bunch of GG/Oscar noms. Anecdotally, it seems like one of, if not his most popular later period film on forums like these.
Only one Oscar nomination - Original Screenplay, like he got every year during that period. Checking IMDB you are right about the GG though, four nominations.
Old 03-08-21, 07:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Aside from the shit ending, The Call was actually a pretty damn good thriller from Brad Anderson. Does that count?

I'll also go with Spider by David Cronenberg.
Old 03-08-21, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Didn't expect so many Woody Allen responses. To me his most underated film is September. It's a fantastic film thats been nearly forgotten.
Old 03-08-21, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Francis Coppola has a bunch of great films that get overlooked in response to his 70's output. The Rain People, One From the Heart, Rumble Fish and Tetro are all terrific. The Outsiders is great too, but I think it has a pretty big audience because of all the highschools that included the book in their curriculum.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hazel Motes:
Hubbub (03-09-21), inri222 (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

John Huston in the 70's and 80's was making films as good as anyone in Hollywood. But he was old Hollywood and thereby yesterdays news, so he never got the acclaim that the Scorsese's and Coppola's got.

But,

Fat City
The Man Who Would be King
Wise Blood
Under The Volcano
Prizzi's Honor
The Dead

all fantastic films.

Also, a much older film, but I think The Misfits is one of the greatest films ever made. It was the last film that Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable ever made, and Montgomery Clift died only a few years later. Hot take, but I think its the best film for all 3 of them.

The Unforgiven, another CRIMINALLY underrated John Huston film.

He made some stinkers throughout his career, but I believe John Huston is basically the greatest director of all-time.

Last edited by Hazel Motes; 03-08-21 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-08-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The Hunger - Scott
I'm still amazed that the other brother (Especially coming off of Blade Runner) didn't make this one.
Old 03-08-21, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Didn't expect so many Woody Allen responses. To me his most underated film is September. It's a fantastic film thats been nearly forgotten.
I have never seen that one.
Old 03-08-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

So many great responses. I completely agree with "Match Point", "A Simple Plan" and "The Hunger". I also agree that "Death Proof" was terrible. About "Some Kind of Wonderful". A near perfect movie. I usually like Eric Stoltz, but he was insufferable in this for me. There was such an arrogance in his performance. Preening and posturing the entire time. I found it obnoxious. Mary Stuart Masterson was the heart and soul of the film. And she carried it. Lea Thompson was also quite good in it too. It might not be better than "Pretty in Pink". But the soundtrack sure was.

Last edited by Daytripper; 03-08-21 at 10:35 PM.
story (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Sidney Lumet actually has some "hidden gems", but I'd say Find me Guilty is pretty underrated since no one is expecting anything good of a Vin Diesel court drama.
Old 03-09-21, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sidney Lumet. That reminds me. Equus. Great film. But intense and depressing as hell.
Old 03-09-21, 04:29 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Phillip Noyce

Blind Fury
Old 03-09-21, 07:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Steven Spielberg- Empire of the Sun
TheAllPurposeNothing (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn’t even know that was Soderbergh. I loved Terence Stamp in this. He was and the movie was fantastic. Why tf is there no Blu-ray? Anyway, love the movie and most things by Soderbergh.
If you have a region-free BR player, there's a R2 Lionsgate release coming out in April.
Amazon Amazon

The film is also available for digital purchase in 4K UHD format from Amazon.
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-09-21, 10:48 AM

The DVD had a great commentary track with Soderbergh and writer Lem Dobbs. It's really contnetious sometimes

40 Things We Learned From ‘The Limey’ Commentary

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.