Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal (2021) - Netflix documentary

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal (2021) - Netflix documentary

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 04:27 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Everything you’ve heard is true. But you haven’t heard everything. Using real conversations recreated from FBI wiretaps, the filmmaker behind Fyre brings you Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal - March 17

An examination that goes beyond the celebrity-driven headlines and dives into the methods used by Rick Singer, the man at the center of the shocking 2019 college admissions scandal, to persuade his wealthy clients to cheat an educational system already designed to benefit the privileged. Using an innovative combination of interviews and narrative recreations of the FBI’s wiretapped conversations between Singer and his clients, Operation Varsity Blues offers a rare glimpse into the enigmatic figure behind a scheme that exposed the lengths wealthy families would go to for admission into elite colleges, and angered a nation already grappling with the effects of widespread inequality. From Chris Smith and Jon Karmen, the filmmakers behind Fyre, and starring Matthew Modine as Rick Singer.
Old 03-02-21, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Re: Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal (2021) - Netflix documentary

So it's a documentary filled with reenacted conversations? That's kinda weird. Doesn't look like much more than we already knew. Will wait fro some reviews first.
Old 03-02-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal (2021) - Netflix documentary

I like Matthew Modine but that’s looks, Meh.

The story seems like something more fit for a Lifetime movie. Maybe they could get one of those actresses that always appears in those types of movies...
Old 03-03-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I love documentaries like this... I find it fascinating the lengths that many people will go to in order to "cheat" something or someone but they won't put that type of effort, labor or ingenuity into actually preparing themselves for being a legit student, athlete or employee.
Old 03-03-21, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I like Matthew Modine but that’s looks, Meh.

The story seems like something more fit for a Lifetime movie. Maybe they could get one of those actresses that always appears in those types of movies...
I see what you did there.
Old 03-03-21, 10:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Zero interest in this one.
Old 03-03-21, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Will this have Aunt Becky in a whipped cream bikini?
Old 03-17-21, 06:31 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ope...ssions_scandal
Old 03-18-21, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I watched the whole film and it was ok. I learned a lot more than I thought I would.

Not my favorite style of documentary storytelling though. My favorite is raw footage storytelling, no narrations and interviews. But that wouldn’t have worked with this subject matter.