Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

S.A.S. Red Notice (2021) — S: Sam Heughan, Andy Serkis, Ruby Rose, Tom Wilkinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

S.A.S. Red Notice (2021) — S: Sam Heughan, Andy Serkis, Ruby Rose, Tom Wilkinson

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The film is based on Andy McNab’s bestselling novel and stars Sam Heughan (Outlander), Ruby Rose (Batwoman), Andy Serkis (Black Panther), Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and the Wasp), Tom Hopper (The Umbrella Academy), Noel Clarke (Bulletproof) and Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton).

The film follows Tom Buckingham, a suspended special forces operator, who is taking Dr. Sophie Hart from London to Paris to propose. When their train is deep inside the Channel Tunnel, heavily armed mercenaries, led by Grace Lewis, seize control of it and hold everyone hostage. Grace threatens to blow up the Channel Tunnel and declare economic war on a government that has its fair share of secrets to keep. Unarmed and cut off from his counter terror team, Buckingham is the only hope that Sophie and the other passengers have to make it out alive.
This comes out on PVOD March 16th

Heughan for those who don’t know is the lead of the STARZ series Outlander.

Old 02-18-21, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: S.A.S. Red Notice (2021) — S: Sam Heughan, Andy Serkis, Ruby Rose, Tom Wilkinson

My wife and I are fans of Outlander. Sam Heughan is fun to watch. I wouldn’t be opposed if he was cast as the next James Bond.

Despite the generic title, this movie looks good. I’m a sucker for action movies like this.
Old 02-22-21, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: S.A.S. Red Notice (2021) — S: Sam Heughan, Andy Serkis, Ruby Rose, Tom Wilkinson

Here’s the U.S. trailer. Vertical Entertainment is distributing it.

Old 03-16-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

This is out on VOD as of today

Strangely, Vudu has it priced as $9,99 for rental and purchase

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...Notice/1626019

Old 03-24-21, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Alright I rented this from Red Box yesterday and watched it late last night. It's actually pretty good. Lots of action and some good kills. It kind of reminded me a little of Strike Back and Die Hard. Sam Heughan was good as the main star/action hero. And Hannah John-Kamen from the SyFy show Killjoys was the female love interest.

The ending does kind of leave things open for a sequel as their is a loose plot thread not completely resolved.
Old 03-26-21, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF loves Outlander, so we rented this on VUDU. Its not actively bad, but its pretty much if HBO ordered a generic action movie with just about every cliche possible. Everything is by the book, all the "twists" are predictable, but theres some decent action and it passes the time ok. It definitely feels like a "setup" movie for a potential series, or an "audition" for the main dude to be Bond. All things being equal, I would recommend waiting for this to be free on a streaming service.
Old 09-05-21, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Caught this on Netflix tonight. It’s retitled, SAS: Rise of Black Swan. I guess they didn’t want to confuse people with the other Red Notice coming to Netflix soon.

It’s basically a straight up rip-off of Die Hard and hits pretty much ALL of the same beats. Sam Heughan is so much better than this movie. It’s like the director decided to make a balls-to-the-wall action movie with all the enthusiasm and energy of a public access call-in show. And Ruby Rose is no Alan Rickman.

I like Heughan, Serkis and even Tom Hopper from The Umbrella Academy but even having some fun actors, it can’t be saved from the amateurish directing.
Old 09-12-21, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

This was rough. It had some good ideas, but the execution and acting were left wanting. I never saw Batwoman, but Ruby Rose does not come off as a good actress. Sam was probably the highlight, but the weird eye sense looks and shots, especially between them was really weird.

The set pieces and graphics were pretty bad in a lot of parts too. I will saw the gas pipeline idea was pretty neat. Can’t say I’ve seen something like that before.

I could definitely see this being an ongoing TV movie series every year or two. However, I couldn’t tell if he was being setup to become a villain. Equally, it seemed like he was being hunted at the end.