Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.27%
2.27%
5.68%
14.77%
17.05%
21.59%
21.59%
6.82%
4.55%
2.27%
1.14%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 01:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by E Unit
Oldboy is my Stuckman.
i still don't get the Stuckman comparison. i know he is a movie reviewer, talked a lot about around here, but not sure why exactly. is he notoriously negative? i don't think i am that way at all. i usually only see movies i'm interested in and rarely come across a bad one that i've seen. just check out my Another Round (which everyone needs to rent and see as it was glorious) review or most any other...
Old 12-26-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Gal and Patty are doing a live commentary Twitter watch party at 3pm PT/6pm ET today.

I'm sure most here have no desire to rewatch it even with them doing a commentary.

Old 12-26-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So I guess we're left to assume that Wonder Woman raped a guy in this.
Was wondering if I was the only one who thought that. That had plot point was kinda weird. So Steve Quantum Leaps in another body and bangs Diana in it, in the dude who's live has just been limbo'ed bed, after they make fun of his home and clothing. Errrr...ok.

If that had been reversed and it was a woman who didn't consent to having her body used we'd have and online lynching going on right about now.
Old 12-26-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Was wondering if I was the only one who thought that. That had plot point was kinda weird. So Steve Quantum Leaps in another body and bangs Diana in it, in the dude who's live has just been limbo'ed bed, after they make fun of his home and clothing. Errrr...ok.
Which is a weird damn plot point to begin with. If they were going to go with the magic stone grants wishes angle why not just have Steve come back as Steve. It’s not like the “Quantum Leap” idea was somehow more believable.
Old 12-26-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Which is a weird damn plot point to begin with. If they were going to go with the magic stone grants wishes angle why not just have Steve come back as Steve.
Yep, same thoughts... so odd considering they (apparently) put so much thought into the messages and themes of the film - but they didn't see this one as problematic?!

I haven't finished it yet, but pretty much the same issues: length, Wiig miscasting - even the character, instead of her being a clutz type, why not have already closer to Diana as an equal? And Steve, I don't think you even needed him.

And why not have her already having her hideout, the invisible jet already being a thing, etc Would've been so much stronger imo to just have those things established already.

Just finished the truck sequence - so much potential to be a kick ass Raiders type of scene...and instead it's just Steve there getting in the way (and helping) while it could've just been her outsmarting and kicking ass. All well. And we get the typical anti-Semitic attacks against Gal for this scene - I would say unbelievable, but no...it's very believable coming from the twitter crowd.

Last edited by Artman; 12-26-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 03:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And for Santa’s sake, if there’s only ONE highway in the middle of the desert, do NOT let kids play on it.
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (12-31-20)
Old 12-26-20, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Which is a weird damn plot point to begin with. If they were going to go with the magic stone grants wishes angle why not just have Steve come back as Steve. It’s not like the “Quantum Leap” idea was somehow more believable.
Yeah, I mean he didn't look like Steve but didn't seem weird just go at it?
And you're right, if the audience buys into a Wishmaster who can turn people into human animal hybrids, make people drop dead and alter the presidency why not just bring Steve back in his own body? Nothing was gained at all from the alt-body premise save for the weirdness in the conversation we are having. When she renounced her wish Steve would have still vanished. It just didn't need to be there.
Why So Blu? (12-26-20)
Old 12-26-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

And given the scene at the end where Diana meets not-Steve on the street and they share a moment, you can imagine a scenario where she ends up dating that guy. She'd have to tell him what happened. As she said, all we have is the truth.

"Remember when you blacked out for a couple of days, back before we met? Well, that's because I made a wish and the spirit of my boyfriend who died 70 years ago came back and took control of your body and helped me save the world. And I had sex with him while he was in your body. In your bed, in your apartment. Anyways, where do you want to have dinner tonight?"
The following 3 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
DJariya (12-26-20), mikehunt (04-21-23), Why So Blu? (12-26-20)
Old 12-26-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Old 12-26-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

-Loved Wiig and the build up to Cheetah.
-Loved the cameo though i wish they were given less lines.
-Loved seeing her aunt alive again.

But overall this film was a bit of a let down. I can see why folks hate it. Its getting killed whenever its promoted on social media pages.

I hate that we seem to be in this fuckin same boat again for a DC film.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-27-20 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Some films may not impress initially, but rise the longer you reflect on them.

Then there are the opposite, like this one. Whether you liked it, hated it, or were simply disappointed, the more thought you put into it, the farther it's going to fall.

As someone with a producer, story, and script credit on this, I'm wondering how much of the blame rests with Geoff Johns?
Much of the films problems are basic story issues with a central conceit that might have promise, but is poorly thought out. The Max Lord character here, in particular, is just not interesting or compelling enough to merit all his screen time.
Also his sacrifice/redemption arc is almost as bad as the Luke/Vader one in ROTJ- not nearly as unmerited (but close), which makes for an unbelievable and unsatisfying climax.

The films is shot through with problems large and small though, so it's kind of futile to pick it apart.

OTOH I did like the "boring middle" that most others seemed to hate. The scenes between Diana and Steve I found to be far more affecting, and believably relatable, here, than anytime in the first film. They have good chemistry, but I never really bought, or saw, their relationship there as being substantially impactful as the first film wanted it to be.
In this one I absolutely felt the intensity of the character's feelings, and completely bought her surrender to a comforting illusion, as well as her pain in having to renounce it.

For that I have to give Gadot all the credit. I thought her performance was a massive improvement over the first film. She was fully in command of the character here, in both the action and emotional scenes.
She's the genuine article for me now, and the best personification of the character I could have ever imagined, without having to make any allowances.
It's a shame the package it's wrapped up in is so weak because her work here is top of the game.

Wiig too was also excellent, and another bright spot that was deserving of a better film.
Old 12-26-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

After some thinking, have to drop this from a 3.75/5 to 3/5. The issues, three come to mind, are too hard to ignore. Haven't kept up with the responses here so probably repeating others problems with the film, one being the whole Quantum Leap in bringing Trevor back and the questions of what happens to the soul of the other dude and how Diana and Steve weren't exactly concerned with his well-being (not to mention those two had sex, no consent on the dudes part); second issue was Diana turning the jet invisible, great idea given the comic and show's histories, but it's a classic deus ex machina, could've easily had a 20-30 second scene earlier of her practicing; and third was her gold armor, no explanation of how she found, just that she found it over the course of 50 years. IDK, those three items were important to the plot and felt like lazy writing.

In addition, disappointed in Hans Zimmer. I didn't mind his use of adagio in d minor but no idea why he used the Batman vs Superman "theme" like that. Maybe what he originally came up with didn't work so they just "borrowed" it? Minor point but as someone who loved that theme and scene in BvS, just was really distracting.

But on the plus side, the scenes between Gadot and Pine were great and didn't mind Pedro Pascal and his overacting, seemed right for a character like Maxwell Lord.
Old 12-26-20, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Stuckmann’s review dropped. This was a very funny review and he made a lot of valid points. Bottom line he also was really disappointed and had a lot of issues with it. He gave it a C-

After thinking it over. I also have to drop my score to 3 stars tops and maybe a generous B-
Old 12-26-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah, on a positive note I thought the opening flashback scene on Themyscira was very well done. Themyscira was one of the best parts of the first WW movie and also Justice League. Robin Wright is great as Antiope, I wish she had more screentime in this one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
B.A. (12-31-20), Giantrobo (12-27-20)
Old 12-26-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

What I really hate in both movies, is the fact that all amazons are speaking with a fake accent just to hide Gal Gadots real accent. Connie Nielsen sounded more like Brigitte Nielsen playing a russian.
Why So Blu? (12-26-20)
Old 12-26-20, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

After thinking it over. I also have to drop my score to 3 stars tops and maybe a generous B-
Good review.
Old 12-26-20, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Runaway
What I really hate in both movies, is the fact that all amazons are speaking with a fake accent just to hide Gal Gadots real accent. Connie Nielsen sounded more like Brigitte Nielsen playing a russian.
​​​​​
IDK, I think their accents was clever thing to do.
Old 12-26-20, 07:28 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I fall slightly above the average in here. The opening in Themyscira was great. Outside of that opening scene the first 2/3 of the movie were just very bland and boring for me. I actually fell asleep at one point and had to rewind. The last 1/3 of the movie I loved. So I fall in line at about 3 stars overall. I liked the first one better. But I still consider this one solid. I just wish less of the setup was boring museum / unlikable oil tycoon guy stuff. I found the actor that played Max Lord wayyy over the top and annoying. Loved Wiig, Gadot, & Pine. But the first two acts felt like Gadot basically narrating in real time with how much of an exposition dump there were in her scenes. The payoff was really good stuff, but having to muck through all the buildup was a drag. I do think there's a really great movie in there somewhere, with a little trimming. But the end result for me didn't quite get there.

I have it just outside of my top 5 for DCEU movies.

1. Wonder Woman
2. Shazzam
3. Aquaman
4. Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition)
5. Birds Of Prey
6. Wonder Woman 84
7. Man Of Steel
8. Suicide Squad
9. Justice League (Whedon Cut)
Old 12-26-20, 07:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Yeah, on a positive note I thought the opening flashback scene on Themyscira was very well done. Themyscira was one of the best parts of the first WW movie and also Justice League. Robin Wright is great as Antiope, I wish she had more screentime in this one.
that 10 or so minute scene in the beginning was probably the only redeeming quality in this movie. and bringing young Diana (Lilly Aspell) back to play her was perfect. those are probably the only 10 minutes of this bloated movie i liked. at least Pedro Pascal didn't look bloated as i mentioned in one of The Mandalorian threads when he takes his helmet off.
Old 12-26-20, 07:57 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

This movie was so disappointing. I was really looking forward to it. But none of it worked for me. Every aspect of this movie felt weak. The special effects and action scenes looked like a superhero movie from 20 years ago.

I'm glad they released this on HBOMax. If it had been PVOD, I probably would have wasted $30 to see it.
Old 12-26-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
-Loved Wiig and the build up to Cheetah.
-Loved the cameo though i wish they were given less lines.

But overall this film was a bit of a let down. I can see why folks hate it. Its getting killed whenever its promoted on social media pages.

I hate that we seem to be un this fuckin same boat again for a DC film
Honestly... I think Luke Skywalker in his prime is just a hard act to follow.
Old 12-26-20, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Since I’ve kind of shit on this movie I’ll add the parts I DID like:
-The opening Themyscira sequence was a lot of fun and seemed to be setting up some good character development for Diana.

-The subsequent “Mall” fight. It was goofy but it felt like it was setting up a fun 80s romp. Unfortunately, as far as anything 1984, that’s about all we get in the entire movie.

- Kristen Wiig. I may be in the minority but I thought she outshined everyone else in the movie. It’s a shame she was relegated to secondary villain. She deserved better.

- Flying the invisible jet though the fireworks. It was nice to see a beautiful, quiet scene between Diana and Steve.

-Diana flying, er, I mean, falling with style. It may have been a little too Superman-ish but I thought the shots of her controlling herself through the air was really well done.

-The final fight between WW and Cheetah. I thought the fight was nicely choreographed and wish it would have lasted a little longer. It seems like it was over right when it was beginning.

Edit to add one more: Fuck Zack Snyder’s muddy, grimy, cinematography, I LOVED seeing Wonder Woman in her vividly bright red and blue suit!

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 12-26-20 at 08:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
DJariya (12-26-20), fujishig (12-28-20)
Old 12-26-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked Wiig in this also.

Pascal was annoying but I think he was written/directed to be, and they overshot.
Old 12-26-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't find a thread to rank the DCEU, but here's mine:

1. Wonder Woman
2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: Ultimate Edition
3. Man of Steel
4. Aquaman
5. Shazam
6. Wonder Woman 1984
7. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Theatrical)
8. Justice League (Whedon Cut)
9. Suicide Squad
10. Birds of Prey

So bottom half for WW84.
Old 12-26-20, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Since I’ve kind of shit on this movie I’ll add the parts I DID like:

-The subsequent “Mall” fight. It was goofy but it felt like it was setting up a fun 80s romp. Unfortunately, as far as anything 1984, that’s about all we get in the entire movie.
When the robbers entered the store I immediately had visions of Superman III. The whole mall sequence felt pitched to that kind of tone.
Since I don't like most mid to late 80's movies, I wasn't sorry to see that tone only punch through intermittently after that sequence.

A lot of this film did strike me as trying to homage the spirit of stuff like the Reeve Superman films, and definitely Supergirl, which is a very curious path to want to take.
This film is more accomplished technically than that one, but just as sloppily conceived.

However, as messy as the gimmick is to accomplish it, the relationship between Diana and Steve seriously got to me. Both actors fully sold it.

Also loved the nod to the invisible jet and tying that in with how Themyscira has been able to remain hidden. It's a fantasy solution, but part of it was already established so I can roll with it for that sequence .
I also saw it as channeling the post interview flight between Superman and Lois in Donner's first film, and because of that enjoyed it- despite again having to ignore the lack of logic in Trevor knowing the controls of a modern jet.

Also loved the discovery of flight and the flying scenes, and the desert road set-piece.

What I loved about the film, I really loved. But it's unfortunately not a good film.

In that respect, it's VERY 80's to me- moreso than if they had just superficially dropped a bunch of 80's music on the soundtrack to a much stronger film.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-26-20 at 09:55 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.