Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar's Lightyear (2022) V: Chris Evans

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar's Lightyear (2022) V: Chris Evans

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar's Lightyear (2022) V: Chris Evans

Kids saw it without me, said they loved it and they cried at a certain part (which I asked them not to spoil for me). Asked them if they were bothered that Buzz had a different voice and none of them were (we did talk about it being Captain America beforehand, though, as opposed to the Santa Claus). They didn't seem to have any problems with the continuity of it and the Toy Story movies.
Old 06-22-22, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Went to see this a second time and enjoyed it more without the distraction of the 3D. Lots of visual details I missed the first time. It's great looking movie. I lost count of the number of visual references to other sci-fi movies.

Nothing to do with the quality of the film, but when it was over I went into the bathroom to take a leak, and the guy walking in ahead of me had his hands full with a huge tray holding bags of popcorn and sodas I guess he was brining to his family. I kind of understand why he didn't want to leave it unattended on the counter in the lobby, but not sure his solution of balancing the box on top of the urinal while he took a piss was better. I almost wish I had said to him, "Hey...you want me to keep an eye on that while you go into the bathroom?"
Old 06-23-22, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Went to see this a second time and enjoyed it more without the distraction of the 3D. Lots of visual details I missed the first time. It's great looking movie. I lost count of the number of visual references to other sci-fi movies.
Unless it's James Cameron movie, I don't know why a few people prefer 3D, especially with a home theater. They could have a much better experience spending money on a nicer picture. The 3Dheads are now gonna be triggered.
Old 06-26-22, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but is the Lightyear movie that Andy saw a live action movie to him, or is it a fully CGI animated movie to him?
Old 06-26-22, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I mean in that universe the people look that way so not sure? I’d assume it’s live action to him, but maybe not.
Old 06-26-22, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Someone on a Podcast pointed out that it was a very progressive movie for a 1995 blockbuster. .
Old 06-30-22, 12:57 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 07-19-22, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Old 07-19-22, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I've got a nice collection of the Toy Story movies on Blu-ray and was pretty much going to blind buy this to put with them, but with the reviews being so weird I think I'll definitely stream it first, and if it's good I'll watch for a cheap copy.
Old 08-03-22, 06:18 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This is up on Disney+ now.
Old 08-03-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I thought this was entertaining. The future Lightyear didn't make sense to me at first, but I guess it does if you think of the future Lightyear as the Prime version and the Chris Evans Lightyear as the variant
Old 08-03-22, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Cool on D+ now. Will need to watch this with the kids over the weekend.
Old 08-03-22, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

A movie from the mid-90s with a gay marriage casually dropped into the story?
Old 08-07-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

The movie did not introduce multiverses.

So I’m very confused how
Spoiler:
there was more than one Buzz. Old Buzz said that, unlike Main Character Buzz who landed fine, when Old Buzz returned to the planet after a flight attempt, he was about to be arrested but flew to the distant future instead.

But how would that mission with the near-arrest, etc, even happen as an option at all if Main Character Buzz is the only Buzz?

Last edited by GuessWho; 08-07-22 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

This was fairly cute. I was happy to see a Pixar movie that didn’t have boringly designed characters that were the personification of the five senses or some shit.

i liked Buzz’s ragtag crew of screw-ups and the recurring confetti joke made me laugh.

Overall I wish Pixar had just decided to do a space movie and not try to tie it into the Toy Story universe. It felt like the filmmakers were boxed into some characters that didn’t necessarily fit.
Old 08-07-22, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
A movie from the mid-90s with a gay marriage casually dropped into the story?
A movie isn't a movie for the characters in it. This is their reality, and gay people have been in relationships/marriages likely for as long as people have existed. I also think that people that got offended or were overly protective of their children from this were overblown with their reactions. The sequences were literally blink and you will miss them, and not some drawn out dinner sequence that put their relationship on full display.
Old 08-07-22, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
A movie isn't a movie for the characters in it. This is their reality, and gay people have been in relationships/marriages likely for as long as people have existed. I also think that people that got offended or were overly protective of their children from this were overblown with their reactions. The sequences were literally blink and you will miss them, and not some drawn out dinner sequence that put their relationship on full display.
But they were not showing up in "family films" made in the mid-90s, and they were especially not being presented as "normal" couples.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (1993), Just pointing out that Pixar violated the rules of their own premise.
Old 08-15-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I saw this as the first part of a double feature with Thor. I wasn't expecting too much, but I actually really enjoyed it. There's a part of me, though, that almost feels like this is one of those later Hellraiser sequels. By that, I'm referring to the trend of taking an unrelated script, shoehorning in a couple of scenes with Pinhead, and then calling it a Hellraiser film. This felt like it was a completely unrelated script that had nothing to do with the Toy Story universe but that they wanted to use for Lightyear anyway. So, rather than making too many changes, they just stuck that opening title card onto it.
The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (08-15-22)
Old 12-30-22, 05:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

This was surprisingly pretty great. It had everything I love: drama, action, cleverness, emotion. Had it all in spades. Really enjoyed the hell out of this.
Old 12-30-22, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy
This was surprisingly pretty great. It had everything I love: drama, action, cleverness, emotion. Had it all in spades. Really enjoyed the hell out of this.
Yeah, this is my favorite movie I saw this year. I went to the theatre 3 times, and had it been a bigger hit and played longer, I would have gone again. I loved the pulp sci-fi stuff, the time travel, the emotional moments. I realized how much I loved it when I was walking to the theatre for the second viewing and getting excited thinking, "Oh, I can't wait to see this part again... Oh, and this part,,. and this part."

Given the comments from so many people, I wonder if I was in a unique positions in that I only saw Toy Story part one when it came out in 95 or whatever, so I was seeing this as movie that had nothing to do with other movies.
Old 12-30-22, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I enjoyed this movie, but I think it ultimately failed because there was a segment of the film population who were rooting for it to fail and tried to spread bad WOM. Like calling it Woke, having a problem with the lesbian relationship and then being angry/confused about the Tim Allen thing. All of which are bullshit from trolls. It's a shame. It's well made and beautifully animated. I read so many nasty and moronic comments about this movie on social media.
Old 12-31-22, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I enjoyed this movie, but I think it ultimately failed because there was a segment of the film population who were rooting for it to fail and tried to spread bad WOM.
I actually think this want far past the "film population" (twitter, etc) and was rejected by the general population. Same thing with Strange World/Days, whatever it's called. Twitter doesn't represent anything approaching the general population. And when no one goes to see your film.... it's not just Twitter that rejected it.
Old 12-31-22, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I had zero problem with the “woke” elements, and didn’t mind recasting the Tim Allen part either. I just didn’t think it was a very good or interesting movie. Had far less to say than any of the Toy Story films. I thought it was okay but nothing more than that. Felt more like a use of popular IP more than a new story that needed to be told.
I did love Sox though.
Old 12-31-22, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the "woke" element in Lightyear was practically non-existent. When I went to see it a second time, I thought for a moment the much-discussed kissing scene had been removed from the movie. I'd forgotten the kiss happened to be a light peck when the two women were senior citizens. I remember thinking, THAT was it?
Old 12-31-22, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I had zero problem with the “woke” elements, and didn’t mind recasting the Tim Allen part either. I just didn’t think it was a very good or interesting movie. Had far less to say than any of the Toy Story films. I thought it was okay but nothing more than that. Felt more like a use of popular IP more than a new story that needed to be told.
I did love Sox though.
Agreed. My biggest issue with it is that it never should have been connected to the Toy Story universe to begin with. It would have played much better if it had its own characters and story to tell. Buzz Lightyear, Star Command, Emperor Zurg…all that was shoehorned into a fun space movie that didn’t need any of that and could have very easily stood on its own.

“The movie that Andy saw when he was a kid” crap bogged the movie down with unnecessary baggage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.