Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

I couldn't make it through 30 minutes of Inventing Anna, but agree she's a good pick
Old 06-08-22, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

If they get these upper echelon actresses like Julia Garner but who is the audience for this movie?

Nobody born in the 2000's will bother to see this in the theater and maybe it is best suited to streaming.

Her music is not timeless like Elvis, Aretha, and Queen where people from all generations are fans.

Crazy for You maybe was used in 2 or 3 movies but that was it.
Old 06-08-22, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Madonna is the highest selling female music artist of all-time. She has a few fans.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (06-09-22)
Old 06-08-22, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
If they get these upper echelon actresses like Julia Garner but who is the audience for this movie?

Nobody born in the 2000's will bother to see this in the theater and maybe it is best suited to streaming.

Her music is not timeless like Elvis, Aretha, and Queen where people from all generations are fans.

Crazy for You maybe was used in 2 or 3 movies but that was it.
Who is the audience for? Every person who still goes to see her arena sold out concerts. Especially gay men. Who are the most loyal fans. And seem to be the only ones defending her bizarre online selfies and posts these past few years. Those guys will follow her anywhere. I could even see the young girls who dressed up like Madonna back in the day going to the theater to see this. For nostalgia reasons. Love or hate her, Madonna has had a ton of hits. Not just "Crazy for You". It doesn't matter if her music was used in films or not. And I'm sorry, but her career and legacy are absolutely up there with Elvis, Aretha and Queen. Not to mention Prince and Michael Jackson. And I'm not even a fan. But you cannot possibly deny she doesn't deserve the same accolades. My main problem with this project is Madonna being involved other than as a consultant. She is poison when it comes to movies for the most part. "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "Evita" aside. Also, she is no Director. Nobody saw "Filth and Wisdom" or "W.E.". Both received mediocre to terrible reviews. And who directs a movie about themself!? What an ego! Back to her recent online activity. The woman clearly has issues. And I think she needs serious help. This movie with her behind the camera is destined to be terrible and a huge bomb. Her story deserves better. And what decent actor would want to be involved in this given her track record in film.
Old 06-09-22, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

No interest in this movie on any level. Especially if Madonna is directing it. Not only is she a horrible director but these days she doesn’t seem, I dunno, mentally well.
Old 06-09-22, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Happy to see Madona is not staring in this and being de-aged. I can see a resemblance to / in Garner but I hope she can do something with her voice to have less of a southern twang as that could tank the movie. I love Garner as Ruth on Ozark but found her difficult to watch on Anna.
Old 06-09-22, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Who is the audience for? Every person who still goes to see her arena sold out concerts. Especially gay men. Who are the most loyal fans. And seem to be the only ones defending her bizarre online selfies and posts these past few years. Those guys will follow her anywhere. I could even see the young girls who dressed up like Madonna back in the day going to the theater to see this. For nostalgia reasons. Love or hate her, Madonna has had a ton of hits. Not just "Crazy for You". It doesn't matter if her music was used in films or not. And I'm sorry, but her career and legacy are absolutely up there with Elvis, Aretha and Queen. Not to mention Prince and Michael Jackson. And I'm not even a fan. But you cannot possibly deny she doesn't deserve the same accolades. My main problem with this project is Madonna being involved other than as a consultant. She is poison when it comes to movies for the most part. "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "Evita" aside. Also, she is no Director. Nobody saw "Filth and Wisdom" or "W.E.". Both received mediocre to terrible reviews. And who directs a movie about themself!? What an ego! Back to her recent online activity. The woman clearly has issues. And I think she needs serious help. This movie with her behind the camera is destined to be terrible and a huge bomb. Her story deserves better. And what decent actor would want to be involved in this given her track record in film.

Maybe but her star power has diminished and her records don't sell anymore and Lady Gaga did what she did for a while and exceeded it and she has more talent than Madonna.

I don't see besides the demographics you mentioned that people that don't fall into those categories would care about a Madonna movie.
Old 06-09-22, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I doubt it'd get much play in theaters but I know a lot of people that grew up in the 80s that would watch it, especially on a streamer.
Boondock Saint (06-10-22)
Old 06-09-22, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Never saw Inventing Anna on Netflix?
No. I did watch the first season of Ozark. I think that’s all I know her from.
Old 06-09-22, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I hope she can do something with her voice to have less of a southern twang as that could tank the movie.
I'm sure she'll have no trouble pulling off Madonna's natural British accent.
Old 06-09-22, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Maybe but her star power has diminished and her records don't sell anymore and Lady Gaga did what she did for a while and exceeded it and she has more talent than Madonna.

I don't see besides the demographics you mentioned that people that don't fall into those categories would care about a Madonna movie.
No one’s records sell anymore. That’s why acts are constantly touring.
Old 06-09-22, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I can see a resemblance to / in Garner but I hope she can do something with her voice to have less of a southern twang as that could tank the movie. I love Garner as Ruth on Ozark but found her difficult to watch on Anna.
What southern twang? The one she has as Ruth on Ozark? That's acting. That isn't how she actually talks.

Old 06-10-22, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I never said that her star power hasn't diminished, nor did I ever say her music sold like it used to. I pointed out that her fan base will continue to follow her everywhere.
Old 06-10-22, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes but a much much smaller fanbase than what she had in the 80's since she is a has-been now.
Old 06-11-22, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

A Madonna biopic directed by Madonna, a start hand picked by Madonna, and written by Madonna and Diablo Cody? Yeah...I think I'll have to pass. Julia Garner is a good pick for the role, but this is going to be little more than a vanity project. I wonder if Madonna is going to fund this from her rumored tour with Brittney Spears?
Daytripper (06-12-22)
Old 06-11-22, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
A Madonna biopic directed by Madonna, a start hand picked by Madonna, and written by Madonna and Diablo Cody? Yeah...I think I'll have to pass. Julia Garner is a good pick for the role, but this is going to be little more than a vanity project. I wonder if Madonna is going to fund this from her rumored tour with Brittney Spears?
Vanity/"Look at me! I'm still relevant!" project.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coral:
Daytripper (06-12-22), Dr. DVD (06-11-22)
Old 06-11-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I am hoping this turns out to be as awesome as Showgirls.
Dr. DVD (06-11-22)
Old 06-11-22, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I am hoping this turns out to be as awesome as Showgirls.
If this happens, then I will be first in line for eventual midnight screenings.
Old 06-11-22, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
A Madonna biopic directed by Madonna, a start hand picked by Madonna, and written by Madonna and Diablo Cody? Yeah...I think I'll have to pass. Julia Garner is a good pick for the role, but this is going to be little more than a vanity project.
How is it different than the thousands of autobiographies that are published every year?
Old 01-24-23, 06:12 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 01-24-23, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Wow, that's a surprise.
Old 01-24-23, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Maybe the lousy BO of the Whitney Houston movie made them rethink the genre especially with Madonna directing.