Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Old 06-07-22, 11:46 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,112
Received 762 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

I couldn't make it through 30 minutes of Inventing Anna, but agree she's a good pick
Old 06-08-22, 11:10 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 19,812
Received 431 Likes on 367 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

If they get these upper echelon actresses like Julia Garner but who is the audience for this movie?

Nobody born in the 2000's will bother to see this in the theater and maybe it is best suited to streaming.

Her music is not timeless like Elvis, Aretha, and Queen where people from all generations are fans.

Crazy for You maybe was used in 2 or 3 movies but that was it.
Old 06-08-22, 11:59 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 3,941
Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Madonna is the highest selling female music artist of all-time. She has a few fans.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 12:24 AM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,039
Received 202 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
If they get these upper echelon actresses like Julia Garner but who is the audience for this movie?

Nobody born in the 2000's will bother to see this in the theater and maybe it is best suited to streaming.

Her music is not timeless like Elvis, Aretha, and Queen where people from all generations are fans.

Crazy for You maybe was used in 2 or 3 movies but that was it.
Who is the audience for? Every person who still goes to see her arena sold out concerts. Especially gay men. Who are the most loyal fans. And seem to be the only ones defending her bizarre online selfies and posts these past few years. Those guys will follow her anywhere. I could even see the young girls who dressed up like Madonna back in the day going to the theater to see this. For nostalgia reasons. Love or hate her, Madonna has had a ton of hits. Not just "Crazy for You". It doesn't matter if her music was used in films or not. And I'm sorry, but her career and legacy are absolutely up there with Elvis, Aretha and Queen. Not to mention Prince and Michael Jackson. And I'm not even a fan. But you cannot possibly deny she doesn't deserve the same accolades. My main problem with this project is Madonna being involved other than as a consultant. She is poison when it comes to movies for the most part. "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "Evita" aside. Also, she is no Director. Nobody saw "Filth and Wisdom" or "W.E.". Both received mediocre to terrible reviews. And who directs a movie about themself!? What an ego! Back to her recent online activity. The woman clearly has issues. And I think she needs serious help. This movie with her behind the camera is destined to be terrible and a huge bomb. Her story deserves better. And what decent actor would want to be involved in this given her track record in film.
Old 06-09-22, 11:55 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,321
Received 309 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

No interest in this movie on any level. Especially if Madonna is directing it. Not only is she a horrible director but these days she doesn’t seem, I dunno, mentally well.
Old 06-09-22, 01:00 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,445
Received 286 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Happy to see Madona is not staring in this and being de-aged. I can see a resemblance to / in Garner but I hope she can do something with her voice to have less of a southern twang as that could tank the movie. I love Garner as Ruth on Ozark but found her difficult to watch on Anna.
Old 06-09-22, 10:21 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 19,812
Received 431 Likes on 367 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Who is the audience for? Every person who still goes to see her arena sold out concerts. Especially gay men. Who are the most loyal fans. And seem to be the only ones defending her bizarre online selfies and posts these past few years. Those guys will follow her anywhere. I could even see the young girls who dressed up like Madonna back in the day going to the theater to see this. For nostalgia reasons. Love or hate her, Madonna has had a ton of hits. Not just "Crazy for You". It doesn't matter if her music was used in films or not. And I'm sorry, but her career and legacy are absolutely up there with Elvis, Aretha and Queen. Not to mention Prince and Michael Jackson. And I'm not even a fan. But you cannot possibly deny she doesn't deserve the same accolades. My main problem with this project is Madonna being involved other than as a consultant. She is poison when it comes to movies for the most part. "Desperately Seeking Susan" and "Evita" aside. Also, she is no Director. Nobody saw "Filth and Wisdom" or "W.E.". Both received mediocre to terrible reviews. And who directs a movie about themself!? What an ego! Back to her recent online activity. The woman clearly has issues. And I think she needs serious help. This movie with her behind the camera is destined to be terrible and a huge bomb. Her story deserves better. And what decent actor would want to be involved in this given her track record in film.

Maybe but her star power has diminished and her records don't sell anymore and Lady Gaga did what she did for a while and exceeded it and she has more talent than Madonna.

I don't see besides the demographics you mentioned that people that don't fall into those categories would care about a Madonna movie.
Old 06-09-22, 10:31 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,112
Received 762 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

I doubt it'd get much play in theaters but I know a lot of people that grew up in the 80s that would watch it, especially on a streamer.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (06-10-22)
Old 06-09-22, 10:36 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,223
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Never saw Inventing Anna on Netflix?
No. I did watch the first season of Ozark. I think that’s all I know her from.
Old 06-09-22, 11:12 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 3,941
Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I hope she can do something with her voice to have less of a southern twang as that could tank the movie.
I'm sure she'll have no trouble pulling off Madonna's natural British accent.
Old 06-09-22, 11:27 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,144
Received 313 Likes on 223 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Maybe but her star power has diminished and her records don't sell anymore and Lady Gaga did what she did for a while and exceeded it and she has more talent than Madonna.

I don't see besides the demographics you mentioned that people that don't fall into those categories would care about a Madonna movie.
No one’s records sell anymore. That’s why acts are constantly touring.
Old 06-09-22, 11:36 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 65,975
Received 4,044 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I can see a resemblance to / in Garner but I hope she can do something with her voice to have less of a southern twang as that could tank the movie. I love Garner as Ruth on Ozark but found her difficult to watch on Anna.
What southern twang? The one she has as Ruth on Ozark? That's acting. That isn't how she actually talks.

The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (06-10-22)
Old 06-10-22, 02:43 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 11,039
Received 202 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Maybe but her star power has diminished and her records don't sell anymore and Lady Gaga did what she did for a while and exceeded it and she has more talent than Madonna.

I don't see besides the demographics you mentioned that people that don't fall into those categories would care about a Madonna movie.
I never said that her star power hasn't diminished, nor did I ever say her music sold like it used to. I pointed out that her fan base will continue to follow her everywhere.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (06-10-22)
Old 06-10-22, 08:14 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 19,812
Received 431 Likes on 367 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Yes but a much much smaller fanbase than what she had in the 80's since she is a has-been now.
Old 06-11-22, 12:28 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,139
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

A Madonna biopic directed by Madonna, a start hand picked by Madonna, and written by Madonna and Diablo Cody? Yeah...I think I'll have to pass. Julia Garner is a good pick for the role, but this is going to be little more than a vanity project. I wonder if Madonna is going to fund this from her rumored tour with Brittney Spears?
The following users liked this post:
Daytripper (06-12-22)
Old 06-11-22, 03:42 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,787
Received 506 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
A Madonna biopic directed by Madonna, a start hand picked by Madonna, and written by Madonna and Diablo Cody? Yeah...I think I'll have to pass. Julia Garner is a good pick for the role, but this is going to be little more than a vanity project. I wonder if Madonna is going to fund this from her rumored tour with Brittney Spears?
Vanity/"Look at me! I'm still relevant!" project.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coral:
Daytripper (06-12-22), Dr. DVD (06-11-22)
Old 06-11-22, 05:37 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,160
Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

I am hoping this turns out to be as awesome as Showgirls.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-11-22)
Old 06-11-22, 07:14 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 23,139
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I am hoping this turns out to be as awesome as Showgirls.
If this happens, then I will be first in line for eventual midnight screenings.
Old 06-11-22, 07:28 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 3,941
Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
A Madonna biopic directed by Madonna, a start hand picked by Madonna, and written by Madonna and Diablo Cody? Yeah...I think I'll have to pass. Julia Garner is a good pick for the role, but this is going to be little more than a vanity project.
How is it different than the thousands of autobiographies that are published every year?
Old 01-24-23, 07:12 PM
  #70  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 41,532
Likes: 0
Received 3,428 Likes on 2,328 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Old 01-24-23, 07:55 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 65,975
Received 4,044 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Wow, that's a surprise.
Old 01-24-23, 11:35 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 38,691
Received 1,001 Likes on 725 Posts
Re: Untitled Madonna Biopic D : Madonna W : D. Cody & Madonna

Maybe the lousy BO of the Whitney Houston movie made them rethink the genre especially with Madonna directing.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.