Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ORBIWAN Goes To The Movies (FB) is gone

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Four and a half years of love and work disappeared today.

As I was going to my car after work, I did a quick check of my Facebook feed and discovered that my entire movie review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies, was removed because of, well, don’t really know.

I got very generic and non-specific legalese about violating policy and community standards. WHAAAAT?

As you guys know from my repostings here, my review were usually upbeat and positive. I literally have no idea why it was taken down, unless something about posting a picture from any movie was offensive?

Fortunately the majority of my reviews are still on Google Docs, but seriously, my calm is totally harshed this evening.
Old 09-02-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 860 Likes on 631 Posts
Re: ORBIWAN Goes To The Movies (FB) is gone

I'm sorry to hear that. I followed your Facebook and enjoyed reading your reviews.
The following users liked this post:
Orbi-Wan Techno (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts

FB is highly arbitrary and much of the time I think it’s just bots and algorithms. I abruptly got blocked from linking to my personal writing/cartoons website several months back, which I only did pretty sparingly. Got the same “violating Community standards” blather. (Considering how tame my page is and how much nutty conspiracy crap there is now on FB that’s a bit of a laugh.)

I reported the problem probably a dozen times to no result. I finally decided to contact ad support (I have a tiny fan page which I’ve bought one or two boosted posts for). I actually talked via chat to a real life human - very hard to do with FB! - and my site was unblocked in less than a day. But FB sure do NOT make it easy to fix random blocking’s and the like. Good luck!
Orbi-Wan Techno (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 05:07 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 259 Posts

I've never been a real big fan of Facebook and your story just reinforces that dislike.

I seriously hope you can get to a live person (like The Antipodean) and find out what the deal is, and hopefully get your page back up. I just hope all of your content wasn't deleted in the process.

Facebook sucks.
Old 09-02-20, 05:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

Oh no, that sucks! Did you say something bad about Christopher Nolan recently?

I kid, but could be a handful of dweebs mass-reported your page (people do this kind of shit a lot these days...) which can trigger the algorithm into just pulling it without a real human reviewing it. Hopefully you can contact FB and get it sorted out.
Old 09-02-20, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

Damn that sucks.

I really hate that platform. Its long overdue for a mass exodus.

kefrank (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry to hear.

I deal with similar Amazon bots daily. They'll shut off listings or basically shut down entire businesses on a whim.

Westworld really overshoots the future of AI.
Old 09-02-20, 06:55 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

that really does suck Orbi-Wan. i'm positive you poured your heart and soul into that page. i didn't follow, but i certainly did read and love your reviews here and hope that continues, but when something like that, where you probably posted what 100's of reviews are deleted for no rhyme or reason is absolutely ridiculous.

i hope you can fight and get it back, perhaps, don't really know much about FB, but i am sorry your energy and passion was taking away unjustifiably.

please don't let it discourage you and please don't let it take you away from us and continue to post them here, at least. i know i speak for myself and probably many others that have enjoyed your detailed, down to earth analysis of so many movies you've seen.
Old 09-02-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 893 Likes on 577 Posts

Yeah what a bummer man. I got locked out of my Facebook three years ago. That place really sucks.
Old 09-02-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

With the new changes implemented today, they also took the axe to a huge number of pages. I assume it's an effort to clean up the misinformation pages, but not sure why your's was a target.
Old 09-02-20, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 990 Posts

That bites. I hope you can get it sorted out.
Old 09-02-20, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
With the new changes implemented today, they also took the axe to a huge number of pages. I assume it's an effort to clean up the misinformation pages, but not sure why your's was a target.
THE ALGORITHM WILL KILL US ALL.

Or something. Sucks though, a lot of people do use Facebook as a blog platform and rarely have backups. Hopefully orbi finds a new platform.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-02-20 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-03-20, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Wife and I are looking at the budget, and I found that the domain name orbiwan.blog is available, I have two other pages - one for Cosplay, and the other about my journey to reverse my diabetes - that I am concerned about being shutdown, so I want to fold all three under one domain name.
Old 09-03-20, 09:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Good idea. Buy the domain name, then make the other 2 as subdomain's and have them point to your main one. Then you can have an all encompassing site with everything in it.

I moved my photography page off Facebook when the Cambridge Analytica crap started. Facebook is mostly garbage now with serious legal issues.