Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sequels that catapulted original?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sequels that catapulted original?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Sequels that catapulted original?

Originally Posted by rw2516
What about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? Didn't the first two kinda go unnoticed until the third brought them to people's attention.
That's hard to tell, since United Artists kept re-releasing the trilogy either by pairing the first two as a double bill or putting all three of them together and sometimes adding HANG 'EM HIGH. I saw THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY first, in 1969 on a double bill with HANG 'EM HIGH, and then saw the first two, A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, as a double bill a few months later in 1970 and eventually all four films as a quadruple feature the following year. Certainly, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY got greater critical attention when it was released because of its epic length and much bigger budget and the addition of Eli Wallach to the cast, while the first two were reviled by critics in the U.S. or simply dismissed when they first got released in the U.S. But audiences loved the films.
Old 08-04-20, 05:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Godfather 2
G2 bolstered a 3x (I know G2 won 6) Oscar winning and Best Picture, AFI’s #2, as opposed to G2 much higher on list? Seriously?
Old 08-04-20, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Godfather 2

The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 06:05 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
yeah, but the 1st is still widely seen as the stepchild, well maybe 2, but while sequels have gotten exponentially bigger and better, I still think the first is viewed as flop (though not financially) and not well liked. I liked it, but certainly many didn’t take to De Palma’s take.
No way. The first is still great. That heist scene is unsurpassed. Part 2 was not good.
Old 08-04-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Well shit, it's a good thing there's no such thing as opinions.
https://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung...of-the-trilogy
Old 08-05-20, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's hard to tell, since United Artists kept re-releasing the trilogy either by pairing the first two as a double bill or putting all three of them together and sometimes adding HANG 'EM HIGH. I saw THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY first, in 1969 on a double bill with HANG 'EM HIGH, and then saw the first two, A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, as a double bill a few months later in 1970 and eventually all four films as a quadruple feature the following year. Certainly, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY got greater critical attention when it was released because of its epic length and much bigger budget and the addition of Eli Wallach to the cast, while the first two were reviled by critics in the U.S. or simply dismissed when they first got released in the U.S. But audiences loved the films.
I don't remember the original release of the first two. Do remember original release of Good Bad Ugly in 1967. Right after that there was a double bill reissue of the first two. I remember the four movie reissue you mention. Where I lived it was at the drive-in and they tacked on Coogan's Bluff to make it a 5 movie marathon. Must have been winter for there to have been enough darkness.
Old 08-05-20, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
No way. The first is still great. That heist scene is unsurpassed. Part 2 was not good.
The only good thing about MI:2 is that it kept Dougray Scott from becoming Wolverine.
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
Goonies85 (08-05-20), Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-05-20, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The only good thing about MI:2 is that it kept Dougray Scott from becoming Wolverine.
That is sooooo true. And f**king hilarious. Good wording on that...
Old 08-05-20, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well shit, it's a good thing there's no such thing as opinions.
https://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung...of-the-trilogy
This has nothing to do with opinions. This has to do with facts. You may think Godfather 2 is a better film but that has nothing to do with this thread. You are saying that The Godfather became such a huge cultural phenomenon after Godfather 2 came out which is completely wrong.

Either that or you did not read the OP's first post.
John Pannozzi (08-10-20)
Old 08-06-20, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm going to catapulted this post.

Had Logan as my choice.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 08-06-20 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Speed 2
Old 08-06-20, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Either that or you did not read the OP's first post.
I think there are a few people completely missing the idea and just posting sequels they think are better than the original.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
IBJoel (08-06-20), kefrank (08-06-20)
Old 08-06-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think there are a few people completely missing the idea and just posting sequels they think are better than the original.
Or they do not know the meaning of catapulted
Old 08-06-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I dunno, I could easily see someone thinking it meant "catapulted over" as in surpassed the original, rather than "catapulted" as in launched the original. There's probably a better way to say it.
Old 08-06-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
THIS. This right here. This was the movie sequel that not only created a movie franchise, but took a cancelled TV show and helped to turn it into a billion dollar entertainment juggernaut.
I actually don’t love the movie as much as most do, but I can agree that it saved the franchise. After Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which I love, but I realize isn’t everyone’s cup of tea the series needed something to really jumpstart it. The Wrath of Khan did the trick very well. It led the way for more films, which in turn led to future shows.
Old 08-06-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Speed 2
Reading this and then the thread title, I think Speed 2 would have been a better movie if it revolved around an actual catapult rather than a cruise ship. At least a catapult has, who know, speed!
Old 08-06-20, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Speed 2
I think the only thing this film catapulted over the original was Sandra Bullock's salary.
Old 08-06-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

That would be me.
I totally did not take the time to read the OP whole first post.

But the The Road Warrior is a good example.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 08-06-20 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Austin Power 2? The original was a modest hit but the second was a tent-pole summer release that really solidified this franchise and the character.

The Color of Money? The Hustler was released in a completely different era but this one made a lot of money and earned Paul Newman the Best Actor Oscar.
Old 08-07-20, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Austin Power 2? The original was a modest hit but the second was a tent-pole summer release that really solidified this franchise and the character.

The Color of Money? The Hustler was released in a completely different era but this one made a lot of money and earned Paul Newman the Best Actor Oscar.
I thought Austin Powers 2 was so successful because the first became a sleeper hit on home video?
Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-07-20, 03:33 PM

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Speed 2
Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think the only thing this film catapulted over the original was Sandra Bullock's salary.
Not true! It catapulted Jason Patric's career into obscurity.
IBJoel (08-07-20)
Old 08-08-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I thought Austin Powers 2 was so successful because the first became a sleeper hit on home video?
Probably. Hard to remember but Austin Powers 2 was likely greenlit AFTER the original became a cult sensation. Hollywood doesn't usually rush sequels to bombs into production very often.

From an article I just googled:
​​​​​​What it also tapped into was the fact that whilst it wasn’t a huge cinema success, the original Austin Powers movie had become a far more sizeable hit on home video. In fact, it was said to have been the video performance that ultimately convinced New Line to go for the sequel.

In the US, the VHS release unusually came with extras at the end too, in the form of deleted scenes. Word of mouth began to spread. Furthermore, at the point in 1998 when the sequel was being proposed, it helped enormously that comedies were gold at the box office. There’s Something About Mary had cleaned up, and The Wedding Singer had been a surprise success, both in 1998. Crucially too, comedies were much cheaper to make than big action blockbusters. Greenlight the right one, and you’ve got not just a hit, but a profitable one

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-08-20 at 06:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
IBJoel (08-09-20), Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-08-20, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I saw the original Austin Powers in a mostly empty theater, and I recall that the film started out obscure, but became more and more popular once the home video release. It was a word-of-mouth success, what we would call "viral" today. I recall a car commercial ad where the family made a "drive-in theater" experience in their driveway projecting a movie on the garage door... and it was Austin Powers.

The movie was so big, that I recall the teaser for the sequel getting a lot of laughs and applause in the theaters, and not just for the Star Wars fakeout.
Old 08-08-20, 09:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Speed 2
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
we have a winner here then.
Old 08-08-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

On a personal front, because I don't know how widespread this is, but Army of Darkness brought Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 to my attention. I'm not a big horror fan, and back then I watched nearly zero horror, so Army of Darkness's mix of comedy and time traveling adventure appealed to me more. I didn't even know it was a sequel at first. When I learned of the other films, I worked my way backwards through the franchise. Despite being a box office disappointment, I do think the wider release and heavier promotion of Army of Darkness by Universal likely brought more attention to that franchise than the cult status the first two films had up to that point.

I feel like A Shot in the Dark catapulted over The Pink Panther to solidify that film series in people's minds. The franchise may be called "The Pink Panther, and "Pink Panther" is used in most of the titles, but A Shot in the Dark set the template for the series. Without that film, the first film would be forgotten as a middling comedy with a standout performance from Peter Sellers buried in it.

Somewhat on point for this thread, but the movie Oldboy became an international hit and catapulted Sympathy for Mr Vengance to greater visibility, although the "Vengence Trilogy" is only thematically linked instead of connected via plot in any way.

Supercop was a bigger film in the US than either of the previous 2 Police Story films, although that may have just been due to timing, since Jackie Chan had his first big US hit with Rumble in the Bronx, which prompted WB to release the older Supercop as his next film. Likewise, Drunken Master 2 was a bigger international hit than the first film, to the extent that 2 is just called "The Legend of Drunken Master" in the US.

Desperado catapulted the career of Robert Rodriguez and the El Mariachi series. Before that movie, El Mariachi was a small indie known more for the low cost it was made for than having actually been seen.
IBJoel (08-09-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.