Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sequels that catapulted original?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sequels that catapulted original?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Sequels that catapulted original?

What I think is cool is that Terminator is now seeing resurgence, because it's now considered somewhat of a sci-fi horror film by film fans. Before it was a straight science fiction action film. I can also see why folks would consider it a horror film, as well.
Old 08-03-20, 07:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What I think is cool is that Terminator is now seeing resurgence, because it's now considered somewhat of a sci-fi horror film by film fans. Before it was a straight science fiction action film. I can also see why folks would consider it a horror film, as well.
who says it's a horror film? i would never think horror with any of the franchise. the 1st to lesser extent, but horror is a real big stretch, no?. It's like saying Runaway (1984) is horror or Blade Runner...
Old 08-03-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
who says it's a horror film? i would never think horror with any of the franchise. the 1st to lesser extent, but horror is a real big stretch, no?. It's like saying Runaway (1984) is horror or Blade Runner...

Stuff like this:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/why...orror-classic/

https://screenrant.com/terminator-mo...-scifi-reason/
Old 08-03-20, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I can also see why folks would consider it a horror film, as well.
Mostly because Reese spends the whole movie wearing a hobo's pants.
The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (08-05-20)
Old 08-03-20, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redtornado
Silence of the Lambs
Wut?
Old 08-03-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

I can see it as a horror in the vein of say... a futuristic slasher film. Is it that much different than Halloween?
Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-03-20, 09:08 PM

Yes?
Old 08-03-20, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts

No disrespect to other people's opinions, but personally I would quibble with the Aliens pick. Aliens is a fantastic film - easily one of the best films of the 80s and one of the best sequels ever. But (in my opinion) Alien is an absolutely masterful work of cinema that stands completely on its own and would remain a masterpiece even if none of its sequels ever happened, so it's hard for me to buy the notion that Aliens elevated the original. Maybe Aliens brought a slightly wider audience to the original in more recent decades, but Alien actually had more wordwide box office revenue than Aliens.
Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-03-20, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
ddrknghtrtns (08-05-20), Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-04-20, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

yeah, but the 1st is still widely seen as the stepchild, well maybe 2, but while sequels have gotten exponentially bigger and better, I still think the first is viewed as flop (though not financially) and not well liked. I liked it, but certainly many didn’t take to De Palma’s take.
People didn't like the first movie because the plot was too complex. The sequels were dumbed down to cater to the limited attention span of modern audiences. The first is still the best overall Mission: Impossible movie, if you have the mental capacity to give the movie your full undivided attention.
The first film is like a Harry Palmer movie while the sequels are closer to Bond. All the Harry Palmer movies are superior British spy movies to any of the Bonds.
I'm surprised the original M:I tv series was as big a hit as it was given the complexity of the plots and lower sophistication of 1960s audiences. You can't even go to the bathroom or get a beer during an M:I episode or you miss something.
Why So Blu? (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

The Terminator is basically Halloween set in the city instead of the suburbs, down to the eye trauma and the synth score. "Loomis" just finds "Laurie" faster in the sci-fi version.

Not a knock on either film. They're both masterpieces of restricted-budget film.
devilshalo (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
THIS. This right here. This was the movie sequel that not only created a movie franchise, but took a cancelled TV show and helped to turn it into a billion dollar entertainment juggernaut.
IBJoel (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

What about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? Didn't the first two kinda go unnoticed until the third brought them to people's attention.
The following 2 users liked this post by rw2516:
IBJoel (08-04-20), story (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
The Terminator is basically Halloween set in the city instead of the suburbs, down to the eye trauma and the synth score. "Loomis" just finds "Laurie" faster in the sci-fi version.

Not a knock on either film. They're both masterpieces of restricted-budget film.
Yeah, it's weird. I just rewatched The Terminator the other night (after it was brought up in the Avatar 2 thread), and it's really sort of fascinating.

The Terminator is a b-movie. The kind of low-budget schlock that went directly to VHS or late night cable. Pure drive-in fare. Low budget, and you could tell that Cameron stretched the budget as far he could. Cheap synth soundtrack. Big showdown in what looks like a factory they rented out for a few nights. The actions scenes are simple and perfunctory.

But it just hits the ground running and never stops firing on all cylinders. Objectively, it's a shitty b-movie, but it doesn't know it. It takes the limited budget and turns it into a taught, claustrophobic thriller. The synth soundtrack is pure 80s cyberpunk kitsch. The stop-motion endoskeleton evokes Harryhausen's sword-fighting skeletons. Even the fake-looking Terminator head used in the eye removal scene takes on an eerie, nightmarish quality. The final showdown at the factory had no-frills, which makes it seem all the more realistic -- no crazy stunts, just two people fighting for their lives against a metal monster. But most of all, I "buy" the premise, that Reese and Sarah are really fighting to save the world. It just works. The stakes seem real. The movie just hints enough that this horrible future is out there for us to completely buy it and understand it.

I enjoy The Terminator more than T2.

I have to say, between Alien, Aliens, The Terminator, Robocop, The Thing, and Predator, there must have been something in the water in the 80s. Lots of great sci-fi schlock that still holds up decades later.
The following 4 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
ddrknghtrtns (08-05-20), IBJoel (08-04-20), Jay G. (08-08-20), tanman (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
No disrespect to other people's opinions, but personally I would quibble with the Aliens pick. Aliens is a fantastic film - easily one of the best films of the 80s and one of the best sequels ever. But (in my opinion) Alien is an absolutely masterful work of cinema that stands completely on its own and would remain a masterpiece even if none of its sequels ever happened, so it's hard for me to buy the notion that Aliens elevated the original. Maybe Aliens brought a slightly wider audience to the original in more recent decades, but Alien actually had more worldwide box office revenue than Aliens.
question is...did you say that about Alien (and i totally agree, but i will definitely say it wasn't until after Aliens did i realize or even see it!) prior to any remote chance of a sequel? because if not, couldn't the fact that Aliens was made and was successful, cloud your judgement a bit? if prior than great, but think about it...
Old 08-04-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. As a kid I could barely get through that first movie, but the second was awesome.

As far as Terminator 2 and Aliens go, it's still amazing to me that they almost did complete genre shifts for the sequels. I won't argue which was better for either, but certainly the second installment helped boost the popularity of both franchises. The aformentioned Mad Max did the same. Then Gremlins 2 probably killed that idea for good. Though I liked it.

Not sure how much these catapulted the franchises but I always thought X2 and Spider-man 2 were better than the first outings. Superman 2 as well.

It is probably a lot rarer for a third movie to be better than the first two, though. Thor, I guess?
Old 08-04-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The Road Warrior turned “Mad Max” into the post-apocalypse character people associate the character with.

Same could maybe be said for Rambo: First Blood part 2. That’s when we really got the character “Rambo” that everyone knows now.
The Road Warrior is a good example as this title was called "Mad Max 2" everywhere else except North America because almost no one had seen or heard of "Mad Max". Once The Road Warrior became a hit in theatres and VHS, audiences made Mad Max a rental hit on VHS as well.

Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-04-20, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
No disrespect to other people's opinions, but personally I would quibble with the Aliens pick. Aliens is a fantastic film - easily one of the best films of the 80s and one of the best sequels ever. But (in my opinion) Alien is an absolutely masterful work of cinema that stands completely on its own and would remain a masterpiece even if none of its sequels ever happened, so it's hard for me to buy the notion that Aliens elevated the original. Maybe Aliens brought a slightly wider audience to the original in more recent decades, but Alien actually had more wordwide box office revenue than Aliens.
I totally see your point and it's not like I don't like Alien. It's just that I felt Aliens was amazing, but it's a tough call. Alien is still one of the absolutely best movies the year it was released, but every time I watch it I'm like, damn, I wanna watch Aliens. Those two movies are just fantastic. I feel the same way about the first two Terminator movies. Both are fantastic, but if I had to pick one I guess I'd have to go with the sequel...
Old 08-04-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

question is...did you say that about Alien (and i totally agree, but i will definitely say it wasn't until after Aliens did i realize or even see it!) prior to any remote chance of a sequel? because if not, couldn't the fact that Aliens was made and was successful, cloud your judgement a bit? if prior than great, but think about it...
It's interesting because while it was recognized when it first came out, it wasn't until after the sequels that you had a definitive love for the original. Ebert gave it a weak on first pass and later it became a part of his greatest films list.
Old 08-04-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I totally see your point and it's not like I don't like Alien. It's just that I felt Aliens was amazing, but it's a tough call. Alien is still one of the absolutely best movies the year it was released, but every time I watch it I'm like, damn, I wanna watch Aliens. Those two movies are just fantastic. I feel the same way about the first two Terminator movies. Both are fantastic, but if I had to pick one I guess I'd have to go with the sequel...
I think a lot of this is an individual perspective as well. If you happen to be just old enough to see Aliens first and then went back and saw Alien on VHS, you're likely to perceive Aliens as the more influential of the two films. I recall Alien being a big hit in 1979 as it spawned a lot of tie-in merchandise such as a figure, a board game, trading cards and an Atari game cartridge.

Most sequels were also subject to a higher degree of savvy merchandising, marketing and with the advent of home video it gave them extended public awareness.

Last edited by orangerunner; 08-04-20 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think a lot of this is an individual perspective as well. If you happen to be just old enough to see Aliens first and then went back and saw Alien on VHS, you're likely to perceive Aliens as the more influential of the two films. I recall Alien being a big hit in 1979 as it spawned a lot of tie-in merchandise such as a doll, a board game, trading cards and an Atari game cartridge.
That's a good point. I did actually see Aliens first. It was on the A-Channel (a popular channel at the time in Canada) and it was on at like 1:00 AM, so it was also uncut. I had several buddies over that were on my hockey team. We thoroughly enjoyed it and the next day we had a game and spoke to every other teammate about how great it was. Then, a buddy had a birthday party sleepover soon after and we had pizza and his parents rented Alien: Resurrection for us (and at this point, none of us had seen the original Alien). We all liked that movie at the time but I've subsequently watched it since and don't really care for it. I like it more than Alien 3, but ultimately don't really think it's a good movie. I did like Ron Perlman, though, he was good. And Brad Dourif. Just didn't like what they did with Weaver's Ripley character...
Old 08-04-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw Alien in '79 but I was 11. It scared the shit out of me and I was never in a hurry to rewatch it. Aliens came out the year I graduated high school in '86. Aliens, I viewed multiple times in the theater and it expanded the Alien universe so much, that I went back to rewatch the first film. And then Spaceballs comes out in '87 and parodies the chestbuster scene.
Old 08-04-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I saw Alien in '79 but I was 11. It scared the shit out of me and I was never in a hurry to rewatch it. Aliens came out the year I graduated high school in '86. Aliens, I viewed multiple times in the theater and it expanded the Alien universe so much, that I went back to rewatch the first film. And then Spaceballs comes out in '87 and parodies the chestbuster scene.
I think what I like about the franchise is the movies are so different. Like, I view Alien as a horror movie. I view Aliens as more of an action/thriller. I think that change-up was a very smart move on Cameron's part. That said, I really wish Ridley Scott would stay away from the franchise. I hated Prometheus and hated Alien: Covenant even more. I don't think he has any idea what to do with the franchise anymore. He's just in it for the paycheque.
Old 08-04-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think a lot of this is an individual perspective as well. If you happen to be just old enough to see Aliens first and then went back and saw Alien on VHS, you're likely to perceive Aliens as the more influential of the two films. I recall Alien being a big hit in 1979 as it spawned a lot of tie-in merchandise such as a figure, a board game, trading cards and an Atari game cartridge.

Most sequels were also subject to a higher degree of savvy merchandising, marketing and with the advent of home video it gave them extended public awareness.
I completely agree. I was 14 when Alien came out. It was very well known, and no one I knew saw Aliens and only then discovered the original.

Personally, I much prefer Alien, as well.
Jay G. (08-08-20)
Old 08-04-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Godfather 2

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.