Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

Yeah, I can't believe WB didn't at least require a framed for home viewing version. I guess you could try zooming the picture on your tv, but the framing wouldn't be perfect.. because some shots you'd want to lose all of the top or bottom, instead of an even split.

Question - can you skip to each of the chapters? (i've only been able to watch it so far on my computer)
Old 03-20-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Question - can you skip to each of the chapters? (i've only been able to watch it so far on my computer)
Not that I know of, unless you count fast-forwarding.
Old 03-20-21, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 777 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
that’s a pretty good ranking, though I’d put WW first, reserving JS2.0 until I see. Then maybe Shazam! That was a lot of fun. A little kiddie, but fun nonetheless. My dad said it was unwatchable bc he loved and read CM when he was a kid and said nothing like this (that what he read was much better, much darker) and Marvel’s CM. I’m not sure, but think he is talking about DC version. Wasn’t he, Shazam!? I dunno, but he read it as kid and hates the 2 out there.
The tale of Captain Marvel is long and sordid, but here is the cliff notes version

DC's Shazam is the original Captain Marvel. It was originally published by Fawcett Comics from 1939-1953. Part of the reason that they stopped publishing it was because of lawsuits from DC Comics claiming that he was a copy of Superman.

As Captain Marvel went unpublished for a number of years, the rights to the name as a published comic expired, and in 1967, Marvel Comics decided that they would like a character called Captain Marvel, and created their own character, Mar-Vell, a male Kree alien. This character is totally unrelated to the Fawcett character. A female version of this character was played by Annette Benning in the Captain Marvel film, but bore little resemblance to the comic book character.

In 1972, DC purchased the Fawcett comics characters, and integrated them into the DC Universe, but could not publish comics under the title "Captain Marvel", because Marvel Comics now owned the rights to do that. They still called the character Captain Marvel in the comics, but the title of the comics was changed to "Shazam" or "The Power of Shazam" which was always the name that Billy Batson called to transform into Captain Marvel. When DC relaunched the "New 52" in 2011, they officially changed the name of the character to Shazam and stopped using the name Captain Marvel.

Carol Danvers, the character who appears in the Marvel film, is actually the 7th character to use that title in Marvel Comics, Mar-Vell being the first. The second character to use the title, and the first female to use it, is actually Monica Rambeau, the character who appears in WandaVision. Carol has only been Captain Marvel since 2012, and previously used the name Ms. Marvel (a title now held by yet another character, Kamala Kahn).
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (03-20-21)
Old 03-21-21, 03:59 PM

Received 4,644 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Justice is Gray version coming soon.

Why So Blu? (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Jesus, what's next? A silent version with title cards inserted to give us the dialog?
IBJoel (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,095 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Jesus, what's next? A silent version with title cards inserted to give us the dialog?
The organ music goes crazy every time Wonder Woman fights!
IBJoel (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I'm done with further versions until the marionette edition.
IBJoel (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W

Sorry for the duplicate joke (in the reviews thread also), but ...

Next up is the Dan Snyder Cut which will just be called “The Superheroes Movie.”
Old 03-22-21, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

The gray version I won't watch.

Last edited by Runaway; 03-22-21 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts

I still haven't gotten through the entire film so don't want to post in the reviews thread: but if the mandate from above was to cut this to two hours, at least so far I can completely understand why they cut the background scenes for Flash and Cyborg (and Aquaman to some extent). Yes, they flesh out the characters, but if you have to cut out half the movie that's the first part I would cut out because they are superfluous to whatever plot is there (and I realize Whedon inserted pointless scenes like that Russian family). It also brings up some questionable issues about the characters

Spoiler:
Mainly, if Barry is able to cobble together all this computer equipment, why is he busting his behind working three low wage jobs? Is he stealing this stuff? I mean maybe he just uses super speed to... cobble together super computers but how did he make that costume? And then Cyborg changing someone's grades and then being given the ability to basically change everyone's bank accounts based on how he judges worthiness opens some doors. It's not clear to me halfway through the movie why his dad would even give him that much power and control.

Even the Wonder Woman bank scene is entirely superfluous but I assume was included in the Whedon cut because it was one of the better action scenes, even if she does dispose of a bomb then blow out half of a building herself.
Old 03-22-21, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm done with further versions until the marionette edition.
"Justice League Are Go!"
IBJoel (03-22-21)
Old 01-17-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Joss Whedon strikes back:
Joss Whedon addresses the Justice League situation, claims Warner Bros. lost faith in Zack Snyder's vision | GamesRadar+

On Ray Fisher: "bad actor in both senses”

On Gal Gadot:"English
isn't her first language" and "she must have misinterpreted"

On Zack's cut: "logically made no sense"

On the cast: "rude"

People have posted screenscaps of the whole NY Mag article but, oy! What a douche.

Old 01-17-22, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,095 Posts

I understand that walking into the production halfway through and taking on the role of directing couldn’t have been an easy position for Whedon but shit man, you’re only making yourself look worse. It’s probably best to just shut the fuck up.

The following 3 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Giantrobo (01-18-22), IBJoel (01-17-22), majorjoe23 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Oh, god, this whole interview is cringey as fuck. Motherfucker ain't doin' himself any favors here.

Seems like he's playing the victim and blaming everyone else... reminds me of how he blamed that awful Toad line in X-Men on Halle Berry's delivery.

Wonder how many of the actresses on Buffy/Angel he shagged. I think I know one of them... read it on a rumor blog a while back, and, while disappointing, I can't say it was surprising.
majorjoe23 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Wonder how many of the actresses on Buffy/Angel he shagged. I think I know one of them... read it on a rumor blog a while back, and, while disappointing, I can't say it was surprising.
But he just had to sleep with them. He just HAD to.
Old 01-17-22, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 1,075 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
JFC.

Regarding his Justice League comments, if he felt he HAD to say anything, why not just a simple, "it was an unprecedented situation, so there was a lot of stress on all parties involved in production"?

I've always had a bad feeling about Whedon. Something about his work never felt genuine to me (even though I'm a lot more OK with his JL and AoU than most people). In this case, I wish I was wrong. I seriously hope he never works again.
Old 01-17-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

One of the criticisms of the dialogue in stuff like Buffy/Angel and even Firefly was that it sounded like dialogue, and not regular speaking. I never really had an outright issue with that because the comparison was like modern usage of Shakespeare - that it didn't sound realistic but that was okay - it was intentionally melodramatic and flowery.

Looking back now I wonder if that was a sign that Whedon was keeping himself a layer away from reality by keeping that mindset when writing dialogue. He had so many people telling him he was so brilliant and such a good modern feminist and he really believed.
Old 01-17-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fisher's retort is awesome:

"Looks like Joss Whedon got to direct an endgame after all…"
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Giantrobo (01-18-22), Why So Blu? (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Whedon somehow either fails to read the room or just doesn't care because man, I can't see even his most ardent defenders defend this crap.
IBJoel (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand Whedon. I thought he didn't say nothing for such a long time to not further pour oil in the fire. Now he breaks his silence and is not just pouring oil in the fire, he starts some new fires of his own. His agent and his manager should be fired. I still believe he will be back one day, probably not directing a big budget movie, but as a writer/showrunner, but it would have been easier, if he just kept his mouth shut or even better if he apologized.
IBJoel (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
His agent and his manager should be fired.
Why would he fire them? I could see them quitting though.

Old 01-17-22, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

It's hard for me to process all this. Whedon's work has meant a great deal to me. I struggled terribly with serious mental health problems in the 2000s and his shows helped me get through it and gave me a new paradigm to help keep me going ("If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do"). I looked up to him. I was even able to meet him in the most improbable way (it was at a non-profit movie theater that I volunteer at). I got my picture taken with him, I got two autographs and a video of me asking him a question. He charmed everyone around him. He made me feel very special when I talked with him. It was one of the most mind-blowing and amazing times of my life. And now it's ashes. I can't defend his behavior and the evidence is overwhelming of all the just downright evil things he did. I don't feel outrage like so many other people. I get no pleasure at watching him torch his own legacy and becoming a pariah in Hollywood. I just feel a sense of deep heartbreak.
stingermck (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,369 Likes on 931 Posts

I mean it gets worse. Not as bad as the sex stuff but holy shit dude.

However, the “Avengers” director denied the accusations in the recent article. “I don’t threaten people. Who does that?” scoffed Whedon, who insisted that the “Wonder Woman” star had simply misunderstood him due to a communication barrier.

He claimed, “English is not her first language, and I tend to be annoyingly flowery in my speech.”
Old 01-17-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Vulture has the full Joss Whedon interview online:
https://www.vulture.com/article/joss...legations.html

Originally Posted by PatD
It's hard for me to process all this. Whedon's work has meant a great deal to me... And now it's ashes. I can't defend his behavior and the evidence is overwhelming of all the just downright evil things he did. I don't feel outrage like so many other people. I get no pleasure at watching him torch his own legacy and becoming a pariah in Hollywood. I just feel a sense of deep heartbreak.
There's an interesting quote from Firefly later in the interview:
“It’s my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of ’em was one kinda sombitch or another,” [Mal] says. “Ain’t about you, Jayne. It’s about what they need.”
There's a reason why "don't meet your heroes" is a phrase. Whedon does not seem to deal well with conflict or disagreement, especially if he's the one in power. That doesn't mean he hasn't also produced some good work in the past.

That said, to get back to this particular movie, his comment that WB was dissatisfied with seems the least controversial "revelation," and seemed self-evident. There's basically only two reasons to hire a new director, to either replace them if they've become unavailable, in which case the new guy will basically finish up and even ape the other's style to be as seamless as possible, or to "fix" the work, including rewrites and reshoots. WB and Snyder like to frame his initial departure as Snyder's choice for personal reasons, but even if that's true, WB obviously took the opportunity to try and change the film at the last minute into something else. In retrospect, it was a bad idea, and was bound to create friction and an unsatisfying final product, but it's obvious that's what they were attempting.
Old 01-18-22, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That said, to get back to this particular movie, his comment that WB was dissatisfied with seems the least controversial "revelation," and seemed self-evident. There's basically only two reasons to hire a new director, to either replace them if they've become unavailable, in which case the new guy will basically finish up and even ape the other's style to be as seamless as possible, or to "fix" the work, including rewrites and reshoots. WB and Snyder like to frame his initial departure as Snyder's choice for personal reasons, but even if that's true, WB obviously took the opportunity to try and change the film at the last minute into something else. In retrospect, it was a bad idea, and was bound to create friction and an unsatisfying final product, but it's obvious that's what they were attempting.
I'm sure Snyder left out of personal reasons, but the reason wasn't that he couldn't manage the post-production, I think he had no power to fight Warner, since they wanted to many changes. I'm also sure Whedon gave Warner what they asked him for, creativly. They wanted a Marvel movie and that's what Whedon gave them, just a bad one. But saying so is unprofessional and just impolite towards a fellow director.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.