DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650551-zack-snyders-justice-league-2021-d-snyder-hbo-max-exclusive.html)

Mike86 11-10-19 04:57 PM

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

So there’s a lot of news coming out recently from multiple sources involved with the film (Jason Momoa, Junkie XL, the special effects supervisor, and of course Snyder) that the original cut or Snyder cut of the film exists. It sounds like it’s presentable in some fashion and Momoa claims to have seen it as well as Junkie XL confirmed that he saw some of the effects work completed while working on the score. Curious if WB might ever actually let it be seen. Granted I’m not a big fan of Snyder’s DC films, but I would be curious in seeing how different it is.

Jay G. 11-10-19 05:30 PM

Re: Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13637737)
So there’s a lot of news coming out recently from multiple sources involved with the film (Jason Momoa, Junkie XL, the special effects supervisor, and of course Snyder) that the original cut or Snyder cut of the film exists.

I haven't seen any sources that indicate that whatever "Snyder cut" exists is anything other than a rough cut with a lot of visual effects and other post production work missing. There's probably "scene missing" cards for the stuff he was going to get on pickups.

There's no real incentive for WB to release it in rough form, and no economic justification to try and finish it up like the "Donner Cut" of Superman II. The film was a box office bomb, a critical turd, and only did ok with audience response. WB/DC is obviously looking to take their film properties in a different direction than what the "Snyderverse" provided, and don't seem to be bringing Snyder back to helm any new DC films or oversee production of the others. While the rough cut would be of academic interest, that's not normally enough for a studio to produce a release.

Mike86 11-10-19 05:48 PM

They could potentially throw it up on HBO Max. If it exists and there’s a demand for it I don’t see the harm even if it’s not complete. There’s been an outcry from many Snyder fans to release it. I’m not saying put it in theaters or on physical media, but they’ll have a platform soon to host it just to content fans who want to see it.

Jay G. 11-10-19 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13637751)
They could potentially throw it up on HBO Max.

Not in its current condition. They'd get tons of complaints from regular viewers who don't know the backstory and watched it assuming it'd be like most other alternate/extended/directors cuts that are released in a presentable form.

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13637751)
There’s been an outcry from many Snyder fans to release it...

Like certain other vocal minorities, they may not be as numerous as they might think.

Ironically, I think the best chance this has of being released is on a physical release. It could be the bonus disc on some extravagant re-release, where the low sales can be made up by the high price.

However, studios still do typically shy away from airing their dirty laundry. If they do get around to it, it could be like the Donner Superman II cut and be done decades after the fact.

Bluelitespecial 11-10-19 07:07 PM

I hope they could fix the terrible CGI that was used to remove Henry Cavill's mustache.

The Valeyard 11-10-19 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13637768)
I hope they could fix the terrible CGI that was used to remove Henry Cavaill's mustache.

The Snyder Cut would probably lose all the Whedon (mustache) footage.

Michael Corvin 11-10-19 09:26 PM

What's messed up is the mustache scene at the beginning is totally excisable. It served no purpose that couldn't have been achieved another way.

E Unit 11-10-19 09:35 PM

Rumor has it Cavill did those scenes originally with his hands covering his mouth. Maybe they can use that.

GoldenJCJ 11-10-19 11:58 PM

I’d watch the Snyder cut out of morbid curiosity but that dude single handedly derailed the entire DC/JL franchise. Every wrong decision he could have made, he made. I mildly enjoyed Justice League. I don’t think a Snyder cut would improve on it.

I do really like Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead. So there’s that.

Shannon Nutt 11-11-19 06:30 AM

There's a better chance of Disney releasing the original 1977 Star Wars than of Warners releasing a Snyder cut of Justice League. I wish people would stop going on and on about it, but such is the Internet.

E Unit 11-11-19 10:56 AM

Mr. Flix 11-11-19 11:12 AM

I don't get it.

Snyder is to blame for the messes that were Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman and for some reason people think his cut of Justice League would be worth watching? Just because the cut of JL we got was sorely lacking doesn't miraculously make the Snyder cut of the movie good. I'd watch it out of morbid curiosity if it was made available to me for free, but I'm certainly not clamoring for it nor do I expect it to be better than the bad movie we already got.

fujishig 11-13-19 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13637987)
I don't get it.

Snyder is to blame for the messes that were Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman and for some reason people think his cut of Justice League would be worth watching? Just because the cut of JL we got was sorely lacking doesn't miraculously make the Snyder cut of the movie good. I'd watch it out of morbid curiosity if it was made available to me for free, but I'm certainly not clamoring for it nor do I expect it to be better than the bad movie we already got.

I'm pretty sure the people who want the Snyder cut think that MoS and BvS are cinematic masterpieces or close to it.

Giantrobo 11-13-19 02:47 PM

There has never been a DC film released with a different cut that improved on the theatrical cut [cough] Richard Donner Cut [/cough] in the history of cinema just because there was interest. They need to quit..

Giantrobo 11-13-19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13637987)
I don't get it.

Soooo you and some other folks don't want it sooo others should not want it as well?

d2cheer 11-13-19 02:59 PM

Such is the way of the world now. Only what my side likes/wants matters.

Jay G. 11-13-19 03:13 PM

I would totally not begrudge someone wanting to see the "Snyder Cut" if that's what they want. I just don't think it's likely to be released anytime soon.

The "Donner Cut" of Superman 2 was released 25 years later. So expect the Snyder Cut in 2039.

Mr. Flix 11-13-19 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13639438)
Soooo you and some other folks don't want it sooo others should not want it as well?

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13639440)
Such is the way of the world now. Only what my side likes/wants matters.

Such is the way of the world now. Those who don't want what I want are denying my right to want it.

Please quote where I said that no one should want it just because I don't. Are we no longer allowed to disagree with people on these forums or offer alternate points of view on a subject? If so, I'll go elsewhere, like others have.

Giantrobo 11-13-19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13639459)

Please quote where I said that no one should want it just because I don't. Are we no longer allowed to disagree with people on these forums or offer alternate points of view on a subject? If so, I'll go elsewhere, like others have.

Huh? Come on man. We are are grown here; and I doubt you're that soft. You're on a public forum. So when you post your thoughts, opinions, feelings, etc on a hot topic...expect that sometimes people will respond. Often to agree, sometimes to disagree, or maybe simply asking for clarification. I was doing the latter because your post, like others, seemed to be confused as to why anyone would want to see the snyder cut so bad and have any expectations of it. Their enthusiastic need to see it and hopeful expectations are just as valid as your "not clamoring" to see it and lack of faith that it will be any better.

Mr. Flix 11-13-19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13639492)
Huh? Come on man. We are are grown here; and I doubt you're that soft. You're on a public forum. So when you post your thoughts, opinions, feelings, etc on a hot topic...expect that sometimes people will respond. Often to agree, sometimes to disagree, or maybe simply asking for clarification.

You could very well say all of the above to yourself, since you equated my "not clamoring for it" with denying your or anyone's right to want it.

Giantrobo 11-13-19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13639493)
You could very well say all of the above to yourself, since you equated my "not clamoring for it" with denying your or anyone's right to want it.

But..I'm not complaining about someone responding to my public post and threatening to leave if there's going to be people who disagree with me....

Mr. Flix 11-13-19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13639505)
But..I'm not complaining about someone responding to my public post and threatening to leave if there's going to be people who disagree with me....

Read again. I said there was no point in posting here if I'm not allowed to disagree with others, not that others aren't allowed to disagree with me. You started this by basically saying I'm not allowed to disagree with you. You said by my saying I didn't want something that you wanted, that I was saying you weren't allowed to want it. You're the one shutting down disagreeing points of view, not me.

Again, go back and read everything I wrote. Nowhere did I say, "They should never release the Snyder cut! No one should ever see it, even those who want it!" I said I wasn't clamoring for it and didn't expect it to be good. You're the one who stretched that comment into me dictating what other people should want.

Jay G. 11-13-19 04:53 PM

Where Mr Flix possibly went wrong was in stating "I don't get it," which could come off as myopic. The rest of his post is his personal opinion on the film and the hypothetical Snyder Cut, but because of that initial statement it could be read as "I don't understand how someone could have a different opinion from me."

However, Giantrobo's response was an overreaction:

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13639438)

He didn't say other people shouldn't want it, or shouldn't be able to have it, just that he didn't understand why they would.

IBJoel 11-13-19 04:58 PM

Personally, I am not at all a fan of Zack Snyder and think his takes on superheroes totally misunderstand the characters and he has these very warped Randian ideas. But I'd be interested in seeing his original JL cut, out of curiosity. Storyboards or script readings could be used for missing scenes. But that said, I'm not about to lose sleep over it.

Giantrobo 11-13-19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13639508)
Read again. I said there was no point in posting here if I'm not allowed to disagree with others, not that others aren't allowed to disagree with me. You started this by basically saying I'm not allowed to disagree with you. You said by my saying I didn't want something that you wanted, that I was saying you weren't allowed to want it. You're the one shutting down disagreeing points of view, not me.

But you ARE allowed to disagree. NO ONE said you can't. I simply asked for clarification on your post. NO ONE is shutting down your popular opinion. If you feel that someone asking you questions about your opinion means you're being shut down. I'm not sure what else to say. Because that is NOT what is happening here.

Again, go back and read everything I wrote. Nowhere did I say, "They should never release the Snyder cut! No one should ever see it, even those who want it!" I said I wasn't clamoring for it and didn't expect it to be good. You're the one who stretched that comment into me dictating what other people should want.

You admitted you didn't get why anyone would want the cut and have positive expectations based on your opinion that snyder screwed up MoS and BvS. Again, no one says you can't think that. I asked if your feelings on the matter should dictate how others should feel about the cut.