Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
1.Why the dent in his chest?
2.Why not just call him Darkseid instead of this Uaxis bs? Are they afraid Disney might sue?
Might sue over what? The Darkseid name? Why?

Uxas is Darkseid's name before he becomes Darkseid, I assume he's called Uxas because this is a flashback to when he took over or whatever. I'd be surprised if they don't reference him as Darkseid later.
Old 08-24-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I haven't been following every detail, but weren't all the actors tweeting that they were involved a few months back? Like they would be doing reshoots? Or at least new dialog?
Old 08-24-20, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I thought Uxas was his Old God name?

In any event I'm sure all of us are hoping this will be good, it's just that the theatrical release was so bad we're not sure what can be done to save it.
Old 08-24-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 784 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
In any event I'm sure all of us are hoping this will be good, it's just that the theatrical release was so bad we're not sure what can be done to save it.
Probably depends on how much you generally like (or dislike) Zack Snyder movies. If you don't like them, there's a good chance you won't like this either, but what came out in theaters was a disjointed mess of Whedon trying to "save" Snyder's movie. Now did he make it better, or did he make it worse? Was it already a mess? That's up for you to decide, but it is obvious that what came out in theaters was very different than what Snyder intended, and what we see in the Snyder Cut will be very different from the theatrical cut, The fact that it's 2 hours longer should in itself tell you that.
Old 08-24-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 927 Posts

I thought Uxas was his Old God name?
I thought it was name when he was still semi-human like. Once he turned to stone then he took on the Darkseid mantle.
Old 08-24-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I haven't been following every detail, but weren't all the actors tweeting that they were involved a few months back? Like they would be doing reshoots? Or at least new dialog?
All the actors had to "sign on," because there was some debate whether this counts as an alternate cut or a "new movie." Ever since The Four Musketeers in 1974 was assembled out of footage shot and cut from The Three Musketeers (1973), there's been a "Salkind clause" in contracts dictating what can be done with deleted footage from a film, and additional payments to those involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fo...lm)#Production

The latest info is that there's no actual reshoots involved. Snyder initially wanted to do some, but HBO Max didn't greenlight any. So it's just going to be re-editing of existing footage, although I could see ADR being used in some places.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_S...al_and_editing
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
All the actors had to "sign on," because there was some debate whether this counts as an alternate cut or a "new movie." Ever since The Four Musketeers in 1974 was assembled out of footage shot and cut from The Three Musketeers (1973), there's been a "Salkind clause" in contracts dictating what can be done with deleted footage from a film, and additional payments to those involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fo...lm)#Production

The latest info is that there's no actual reshoots involved. Snyder initially wanted to do some, but HBO Max didn't greenlight any. So it's just going to be re-editing of existing footage, although I could see ADR being used in some places.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_S...al_and_editing
That's surprising, I thought the reshoots were confirmed. So that money is just to finish off the special effects of existing scenes?

Did he finish shooting the movie and then his daughter died during editing? Otherwise I'd think he'd at least need some transition scenes or something.
Old 08-24-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's surprising, I thought the reshoots were confirmed. So that money is just to finish off the special effects of existing scenes?
Special effects, compositing, color grading, ADR, sound mix, additional/replacement score, etc...

There could be situations where they take existing live action footage and re-composite it to fit a different context, which could get around something they would otherwise have reshot.

Did he finish shooting the movie and then his daughter died during editing? Otherwise I'd think he'd at least need some transition scenes or something.
Wikipedia states Snyder stepped down during post-production, i.e. after principle photography.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justic...ost-production

The whole thing with Henry Cavil's mustache seems to indicate that whatever planned pickups were possibly already shot when when Whedon took over and they did additional reshoots.
https://screenrant.com/henry-cavill-...on-impossible/
From the sound of things, Cavill was under the impression he had wrapped his role as Superman in Justice League by the time he officially signed for Fallout

This one indicates that maybe the pickups were supposed to happen after Fallout's prinicple photography wrapped.
https://variety.com/2017/film/news/j...ts-1202502433/
Cavill’s issues are even more thorny. “Justice League’s” Man of Steel had expected to be able to finish shooting the sixth “Mission: Impossible” film before needing to don Superman’s spandex again. That has not been the case, however, as the new scenes that are being shot have required him to jump back and forth from each production. Because of this, a mustache he grew for his character in the “Mission: Impossible” sequel will have to be digitally removed in post-production.
There were other scheduling conflicts with other actors that got resolved as well.

Pickups are usually for new shots not originally considered during principle photography, especially for new transition shots when certain scenes are eliminated or cut short. Considering Snyder's cut now runs 4 hours, Snyder may be able to get by with using all the originally shot scenes and transitions, since he doesn't really have to cut anything, and thus doesn't need new scenes/shots to cover for the removed/reduced scenes.
fujishig (08-24-20)
Old 08-24-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,708 Likes on 2,665 Posts

For those who missed the Snyder Cut panel, HBO Max posted it on YouTube.

Old 08-25-20, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 245 Posts

I spotted this photo online yesterday. I know you guys know that I don't know my comic book heroes, after all I'm the guy who posted this about the latest Avengers movie:
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Okay guys, just back from seeing it. I'm admittedly not a comic book guy and I tend to avoid comic book movies because, frankly, there are 20-30 of them released every week (maybe I'm exaggerating) and I know the theaters will be full of cell phone using knuckleheads.

But I've got Moviepass and figured a 4:30 showing wouldnt be that bad. I was right, but because I don't know squat about the Marvelverse it was difficult to figure out who everybody was when about half of the Marvelous Superduperhero Team characters that were thrown at me never got introduced. No real name, no comic book name.... we were just supposed to know and care who they were. So, who the heck were these:

#1 - One-armed Wolverine-looking dude who had a magic machine gun that never (apparently) ran out of bullets? First showed up during the closing credits of Black Panther. "Hairy Monoarmed Ammoman"?

#2 - Red-headed chick who shoots red fire/lightning/plasma stuff from her hands and who lives in Scotland with some android with a yellow stone stuck in his forehead? "Red Mechamanlovergirl"?

#3 - Blonde chick who hangs out with some guy named "Captain Steve". She wears a lot of leather and showed off her butt to the camera an awful lot. No apparent superpowers I could discern but can jump and kick and punch pretty well. "Whitey Junkatrunk Woman"?

#4 - Black dude, looks like Don Cheadle (hell, maybe it was Don't Cheadle) who has his own Iron Man suit but with US Air Force logos slapped on it? "Iron Liftmaster Patriot 5000"?

Let's start with these. There are many many more.

But I figured, if anyone could help me figure something out while giving me the well-earned flak for admitting/mocking my own ignorance, it would be from my Otter bretheren.

Flash, Superman, Bat Man, Aquaman, Wonder Woman.... yup. I used to watch TV as a kid and I recognize the characters from the costumes and from the small amount of social exposure I get. But who's the half-armored red-eyed black fella in the back? Yeah, I know, Hollywood has quotas and there now needs to be a certain number of women and minorities and baristas and anything but straight white men when casting films to appease the diversity demands of... uh... Hollywood. And it's admittedly difficult to take certain established mainline characters and recast them as anything but white men (or in WW's case, white women). So I'm hoping that the guy I don't recognize isn't just a character that's been developed to help check some equity boxes or to send virtue signals. But I sincerely don't know who that is, and the fact that it's a minority actor has me worried that's all of the above... or what the Corporate world calls an Affirmative Action hire.... someone hired (or in this case, written in) because of how they look... which ends up being an insult to the hire because others assume they're only there for that reason, not because they're competent or have earned the job.

I want to be wrong. Honest. But who is that mystery character getting equal billing with the franchise cornerstone superheroes?
Old 08-25-20, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I spotted this photo online yesterday. I know you guys know that I don't know my comic book heroes, after all I'm the guy who posted this about the latest Avengers movie:
Spoiler:

But I figured, if anyone could help me figure something out while giving me the well-earned flak for admitting/mocking my own ignorance, it would be from my Otter bretheren.

Flash, Superman, Bat Man, Aquaman, Wonder Woman.... yup. I used to watch TV as a kid and I recognize the characters from the costumes and from the small amount of social exposure I get. But who's the half-armored red-eyed black fella in the back? Yeah, I know, Hollywood has quotas and there now needs to be a certain number of women and minorities and baristas and anything but straight white men when casting films to appease the diversity demands of... uh... Hollywood. And it's admittedly difficult to take certain established mainline characters and recast them as anything but white men (or in WW's case, white women). So I'm hoping that the guy I don't recognize isn't just a character that's been developed to help check some equity boxes or to send virtue signals. But I sincerely don't know who that is, and the fact that it's a minority actor has me worried that's all of the above... or what the Corporate world calls an Affirmative Action hire.... someone hired (or in this case, written in) because of how they look... which ends up being an insult to the hire because others assume they're only there for that reason, not because they're competent or have earned the job.

I want to be wrong. Honest. But who is that mystery character getting equal billing with the franchise cornerstone superheroes?
He's Cyborg. He was on the Super Friends show back in the day, has been in the Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go cartoon series, and starred in a comic that in the 80s rivaled X-men in popularity. More kids/teens probably recognized him easier than Momoa's Aquaman because of the cartoons.

He was added to the League (basically in the place of Martian Manhunter) in the New 52, and it's similar to what you said, to give some diversity to the cast, similar to how the Timmverse Justice League cartoon made their GL Jon Stewart and added Hawkgirl to give diversity to the league. But no, they did not create him just for this movie, and he did not displace some poor white actor who would otherwise have gotten the job (geez).

Also, if you're even partially offended by that, don't look up what Ezra Miller is up to these days...
IBJoel (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Spoiler:

Cyborg. Been black since he was introduced in 1980.

Also your post is really stupid.
The following 3 users liked this post by Draven:
DJariya (08-25-20), Red Hood (08-25-20), Why So Blu? (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Spoiler:

The Cyborg dude is Cyborg! The character is a member of the New Teen Titans and has never really made it to the A-list. Really disappointed they didn't instead go with John Stewart as GL (Green Lantern) for the movie.
Old 08-25-20, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

As pointed out he's been around for 40 years. To my knowledge he's not usually associated with the Justice League so it's possible he was added for diversity, but then again they could have just as easily gone with Martian Manhunter or John Stewart too. Snyder must have liked Cyborg and wanted him there for a reason. Most of his role was cut in the final film so the Snyder Cut will give us a more developed character (hopefully) and a reason to like him because in the theatrical cut he is just kinda like an extra and completely disposable.

So I'm hoping that the guy I don't recognize isn't just a character that's been developed to help check some equity boxes or to send virtue signals.
And if he was created for this film, why would his race matter exactly? Comic book characters get created all the time. Why would it matter here? Is adding a character that appeals to children of color really a bad thing in your mind? Boys have always had Batman and Superman to look up to. Girls finally have Wonder Woman again and now black kids can look up to Cyborg.

Your post is extremely tone def and very bizarre.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
DJariya (08-25-20), Red Hood (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Cyborg was added to Justice League in the New 52.
IBJoel (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to point out that going with Martian Manhunter as a diversity thing is kind of a cop out, though.

But yes, Cyborg was added with New 52, partially because Johns loves Super Friends, partially because Johns also loves Hal Jordan and no way was John Stewart going to be Green Lantern in the original incarnation of the Justice League in comics, etc. etc (not that they wanted a GL anywhere near this, at least not in the non four hour cut).
Old 08-25-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay Otter... equal parts information and insult.

Originally Posted by Draven
Cyborg. Been black since he was introduced in 1980.

Also your post is really stupid.
Sorry, but in my corner of reality I didn't know there was a Cyborg... white, black, green, or other.

My post may have been ignorant. I'm hoping there's a difference. It's not the post's fault that I'm out of touch with the comic book world, it's feelings might be hurt.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As pointed out he's been around for 40 years. To my knowledge he's not usually associated with the Justice League so it's possible he was added for diversity, but then again they could have just as easily gone with Martian Manhunter or John Stewart too. Snyder must have liked Cyborg and wanted him there for a reason. Most of his role was cut in the final film so the Snyder Cut will give us a more developed character (hopefully) and a reason to like him because in the theatrical cut he is just kinda like an extra and completely disposable.

And if he was created for this film, why would his race matter exactly? Comic book characters get created all the time. Why would it matter here? Is adding a character that appeals to children of color really a bad thing in your mind? Boys have always had Batman and Superman to look up to. Girls finally have Wonder Woman again and now black kids can look up to Cyborg.

Your post is extremely tone def and very bizarre.
Cool. Glad for black kids, and that Cyborg isn't an AA Hire.

And again, please don't blame the poor innocent post for my ignorance.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Cyborg was added to Justice League in the New 52.
Hm.... didn't know Cyborg... don't know the New 52. Sorry. I'm not the target demographic I guess.

Thanks everyone for the 10-35.
Old 08-25-20, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Spoiler:

And they say liberals are the brainwashed ones. You could have simply left it at who's the black guy in the armor but you went all in on that pointless diatribe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
DJariya (08-25-20), Why So Blu? (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Cyborg dude is Cyborg! The character is a member of the New Teen Titans and has never really made it to the A-list. Really disappointed they didn't instead go with John Stewart as GL (Green Lantern) for the movie.
Which explains my lack of familiarity with him. I knew there was a Teen Titans kids cartoon show.... never realized there was a "New" one. And with A-listers being mainstream (and my familiarity with them also being primarily mainstream), I suppose I never got exposed to Cyborg.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-25-20 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yay Otter... equal parts information and insult.

Sorry, but in my corner of reality I didn't know there was a Cyborg... white, black, green, or other.

My post may have been ignorant. I'm hoping there's a difference. It's not the post's fault that I'm out of touch with the comic book world, it's feelings might be hurt.

Cool. Glad for black kids, and that Cyborg isn't an AA Hire.

And again, please don't blame the poor innocent post for my ignorance.

Hm.... didn't know Cyborg... don't know the New 52. Sorry. I'm not the target demographic I guess.

Thanks everyone for the 10-35.
It's not that you're ignorant of who Cyborg is, it's that you automatically assumed (or theorized) that he was an "affirmative action" leaguer who's filling some Hollywood quota and then went off on a diatribe about that. If you just said "who the heck is this guy and why is he in the Justice League" you probably get some agreement from people (to me he'll always be a Teen Titan).

Anyway, ranting over, hopefully.
Old 08-25-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which explains my lack of familiarity with him. I knew there was a Teen Titans kids cartoon show.... never realized there was a "New" one. And with A-listers being mainstream (like me), I suppose I never got exposed to Cyborg.
The "New" Teen Titans are called that because in the comics they're the second big iteration of the team (the original was basically all sidekicks). It's a classic series done by Marv Wolfman and George Perez that was insanely popular (like I said, it rivaled Claremont and Byrne's Uncanny X-men). That roster (Robin, Cyborg, Beast Boy/Changeling, Raven, and Starfire) are basically the ones in the Teen Titans cartoon and Teen Titans Go. So it's not a 'new' cartoon, anyone familiar with the cartoon version of Teen Titans would recognize Cyborg.

When DC did yet another reboot with the New 52, they wanted to condense the timeline to make all their characters younger: so no teen sidekicks, etc. Obviously Robin/Nightwing was still around, but that got rid of a lot of the characters that made up the original Teen Titans, and thus also wiped out the New Teen Titans: so they grabbed Cyborg and moved him up to the Justice League.
Old 08-25-20, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not that you're ignorant of who Cyborg is, it's that you automatically assumed (or theorized) that he was an "affirmative action" leaguer who's filling some Hollywood quota and then went off on a diatribe about that. If you just said "who the heck is this guy and why is he in the Justice League" you probably get some agreement from people (to me he'll always be a Teen Titan).

Anyway, ranting over, hopefully.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I brought up the AA reference because I was unfamiliar with the character and, knowing Hollywood's knack for quota counting, was hoping that this wasn't just something brand new to add more diversity to the cast. Wait, I can even quote myself...

the fact that it's a minority actor has me worried that's all of the above... or what the Corporate world calls an Affirmative Action hire.... someone hired (or in this case, written in) because of how they look... which ends up being an insult to the hire because others assume they're only there for that reason, not because they're competent or have earned the job.

I want to be wrong. Honest.
I asked the question because I didn't know the answer, and openly speculated whether this was Hollywood being politically correct. The replies have indicated that it's NOT the case, which is what I wanted to hear. Again, sorry if your feelings were hurt.
Old 08-25-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I would have cast an African-American actor as Hal Jordan, if for no other reason than to visually differentiate him from the Ryan Reynolds version.

I don't like Cyborg in the JLA. To me, he's too much of a Titan, being one of the original characters added to the Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans roster in 1980, along with Raven and Starfire.

It was a huge missed opportunity to not have the core seven characters in the Justice League movie: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter.
ddrknghtrtns (08-25-20)
Old 08-25-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...anyone familiar with the cartoon version of Teen Titans would recognize Cyborg.
I'm not. I didn't.

Anyone familiar with Admiral Grace Hopper's story would recognize this. Though my knowledge is pretty far-reaching it isn't without its limits. Maybe you know the Admiral's story and her role in the early development of programming languages - in which case we have something in common - or maybe you don't and you don't recognize that. But at least, now, we have an understanding of DC's Cyborg character - to a degree - in common.
Old 08-25-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

The "classic" New Teen Titans line-up: (top) Starfire, Raven, Wonder Girl/Troia (bottom) Kid Flash, Robin/Nightwing, Beast Boy/Changling, Cyborg

The "classic" Justice League line-up: Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Superman
IBJoel (08-25-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.