Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Now it is not a big deal

I thought they aired theatrical movies on Saturdays?

I remember watching Star Wars and Rocky on a Saturday in the 80's.

CBS Theatrical movies are making a comeback on broadcast television. With the networks’ original series’ production halted and people looking for comfort-food entertainment while sheltering at home amid the coronavirus pandemic, popular movies are becoming a viable programming option.

CBS will launch a Sunday movie night on May 3 for a five-week initial run. Tapping into the vault of corporate sibling Paramount Pictures, the night will feature five iconic titles from the Paramount library, Forrest Gump, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark — which is how that franchise started now is marketed — Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Mission: Impossible and Titanic.

Theatrical — and original — movies disappeared from broadcast TV a decade and a half ago. CBS in fact was the last major broadcast network to cancel its CBS Sunday Movie franchise at the end of the 2004-05 season. That was a result of the proliferation of DVDs that allowed for commercial-free movie experience. It was soon followed by the rise of streaming.
https://deadline.com/2020/04/cbs-bri...2688/#comments
Old 04-11-20, 10:29 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

Glad they’re showing some hard to find, hardly watched movies.
The following 5 users liked this post by Brack:
AaronHernandez (05-04-20), Alan Smithee (04-12-20), Fist of Doom Jr (04-11-20), Norm de Plume (04-11-20), story (04-11-20)
Old 04-11-20, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

So they're ignoring Temple of Doom? I still have Star Wars on an old VHS tape when CBS showed it in the 80s.
Old 04-11-20, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I'm actually kind of surprised they still showed theatrical films on broadcast tv as late as 2005. I figured that mostly stopped in the 80s or 90s. I think they still did one every now and then as a special event, like Wizard of Oz or ABC playing a Disney movie.

I remember seeing Alien for the first time on a broadcast network around 1984, which seems really weird now; and that's how I saw all of the 60s and 70s James Bond movies, which kind of a fixture to be shown on tv at the time, too.
Old 04-11-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I’d be more interested if they brought back “TV versions” like in the old days with the funny edits and (Certain) deleted scenes added.
Old 04-11-20, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The last Sunday night movie CBS ever shown was a Walker Texas Ranger reunion movie back in 2005.

I think the reason why they quit doing it was because the ratings for that movie were disappointing and they decided to use those 2 hours for more scripted TV shows.

Back in 2005, that was also before streaming was a thing, so later on it didn't really make much sense for networks to waste money on older theatrical movies that have to be edited for time and content. When now people have access to them 24/7.
Old 04-11-20, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I remember seeing Alien for the first time on a broadcast network around 1984, which seems really weird now; and that's how I saw all of the 60s and 70s James Bond movies, which kind of a fixture to be shown on tv at the time, too.
Yeah I remember all of those were shown on ABC. Hell, the only (Notable) movies I remember ever seeing on CBS were The Untouchables, The Outsiders (My first time ever seeing "The Complete Novel" ending) and Rocky III & IV. Unlike ABC:

Jaws
Scarface(!)
Close Encounters (The TV version with all the additional footage was how I always remembered the movie)
All the Dirty Harry movies
Raiders of The Lost Ark/Temple of Doom
Platoon ("Maggot Farmer" )
Blade Runner
Robocop (The TV version used alternate takes of the more gorier scenes which I thought was interesting)
Uncommon Valor (I know, not as classic as the rest, but I re-watched THE HELL out of this when I taped it in the mid-80's)
Star Trek I-III (I think all these were shown on ABC instead of CBS. Search for Spock, for sure, was on ABC)
Old 04-11-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

With the networks’ original series’ production halted and people looking for comfort-food entertainment
So they are going to show a movie that is constantly interrupted by ads that talk about the "uncertain" and "challenging" times.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (04-12-20)
Old 04-11-20, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Glad they’re showing some hard to find, hardly watched movies.
You'll find it hard to believe, but I haven't seen any of those, and I still won't when all is said and done.
Old 04-11-20, 05:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I find it hard to believe. I get maybe not caring about seeing M:I, but unless you were born in the year 1999, how have you not seen these movies?
Old 04-11-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Yeah I remember all of those were shown on ABC. Hell, the only (Notable) movies I remember ever seeing on CBS were The Untouchables, The Outsiders (My first time ever seeing "The Complete Novel" ending) and Rocky III & IV. Unlike ABC:

Jaws
Scarface(!)
Close Encounters (The TV version with all the additional footage was how I always remembered the movie)
All the Dirty Harry movies
Raiders of The Lost Ark/Temple of Doom
Platoon ("Maggot Farmer" )
Blade Runner
Robocop (The TV version used alternate takes of the more gorier scenes which I thought was interesting)
Uncommon Valor (I know, not as classic as the rest, but I re-watched THE HELL out of this when I taped it in the mid-80's)
Star Trek I-III (I think all these were shown on ABC instead of CBS. Search for Spock, for sure, was on ABC)
I think that NBC ran Halloween, didn't they? The tv version with the newly shot scenes.

And I remember the tv version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High with the extra scenes that were missing when I finally saw the proper R-rated version. And I wondered where the Led Zeppelin scene was, and the warning about Mr Hand.

And there was a local UHF station that played a lot of movies. One of the Police Academy movies had all of the instances of the word "asshole" replaced with "eggroll."
Old 04-11-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC occasionally shows the Fast and Furious movies

Sound of Music and the Ten Commandments might be the only movies you can watch every year on ABC or one of the big 4 3 letter networks.
Old 04-11-20, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scarface - "Forget You!"
Old 04-11-20, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
I find it hard to believe. I get maybe not caring about seeing M:I, but unless you were born in the year 1999, how have you not seen these movies?
The only way I can explain is by saying I'm simply not interested. There are thousands upon thousands of films that do interest me, but most blockbuster-oriented Hollywood fare does not. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me. For what it's worth, I did see Temple of Doom as a child and loved it.
The following users liked this post:
Brack (04-12-20)
Old 04-11-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's how it went:

Star Trek I - IV (ABC)
Star Trek V (CBS)
Star Trek VI (NBC)
All James Bond movies from Dr. No through Living Daylights (ABC)
Licence to Kill (Fox)
Star Wars (CBS)
The Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi (NBC)
The Phantom Menace (Fox)
Jaws / Jaws 2 (ABC)
Jaws 3 (CBS)
Raiders of the Lost Ark / Temple of Doom (ABC)
Last Crusade (CBS)
Old 04-12-20, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
So they're ignoring Temple of Doom? I still have Star Wars on an old VHS tape when CBS showed it in the 80s.

I had that too

I was waiting for HBO to show that and Empire Strikes Back but those movies never aired on HBO in the 80's or 90's or were in constant rotation so I assumed they did not have the rights to those movies.
Old 04-12-20, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Bring back TV-movie-of-the week from the '70s! These were 73-minute very taut and well made thrillers, sci-fi, and horror films usually shot on a shoestring budget, with excellent scripts and good acting in place of SFX-extravaganza and political-correctness. DUEL is probably the most famous example.

Or, at least broadcast lesser known films than the five llisted above. Surely everyone has already seen all 5 of those multiple times.
The following 2 users liked this post by zyzzle:
Brack (04-12-20), Norm de Plume (04-12-20)
Old 04-12-20, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Bring back TV-movie-of-the week from the '70s! These were 73-minute very taut and well made thrillers, sci-fi, and horror films usually shot on a shoestring budget, with excellent scripts and good acting in place of SFX-extravaganza and political-correctness. DUEL is probably the most famous example.

Duel is the standout masterwork, but telefilms like Dying Room Only, A Cold Night's Death, The Victim (1972), and myriad others are also extraordinary. Economical suspense was their stock in trade.
Old 04-12-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think that NBC ran Halloween, didn't they? The tv version with the newly shot scenes.

And I remember the tv version of Fast Times at Ridgemont High with the extra scenes that were missing when I finally saw the proper R-rated version. And I wondered where the Led Zeppelin scene was, and the warning about Mr Hand.

And there was a local UHF station that played a lot of movies. One of the Police Academy movies had all of the instances of the word "asshole" replaced with "eggroll."
Has there ever been an official release of Halloween tv version on dvd or blu-ray? The one I seen kept the nudity in it which doesn't make it a tv version.
Old 04-12-20, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

That version had the extra TV scenes added back in, but still in the proper ratio with no edits for content. It'd be fun to have a copy of the broadcast with original commercials.
The last movie I watched any amount of on broadcast TV was American Pie, during the last week of analog, just to laugh at all the editing. Caught "Hair" on the "This" network a while ago and laughed at how they removed offensive lines from one song. I used to tape movies from independent stations in the 80s that would actually show movies with no censoring, though they eventually started making minor edits after complaints.
Old 04-13-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Has there ever been an official release of Halloween tv version on dvd or blu-ray? The one I seen kept the nudity in it which doesn't make it a tv version.
I think the only accurate shot-for-TV scenes were on the Criterion Collection Halloween laserdisc which had the TV scenes in their original 4:3 ratio which were taken from the 1" broadcast master. I can't recall an official release of the entire network TV cut in 4:3.
Old 04-13-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I’d be more interested if they brought back “TV versions” like in the old days with the funny edits and (Certain) deleted scenes added.
I always think of Superman II TV version they showed in the early 80's. They had a crap load of deleted scenes (eventually released on DVD/BluRay a few years ago). There was nothing more that would blow your mind as a kid, when you would watch the TV version of a movie you loved in the theater, and then these added scenes (for TV) would appear and you had to rack your brains why you never saw them?

In saying that, Sunday Night Movie was an EVENT back in the early/mid 80's when I was a kid. That was the days before Sunday Night Football, and before many had a VCR, so this was your chance to see it after it's run on HBO.
Old 04-13-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That version had the extra TV scenes added back in, but still in the proper ratio with no edits for content. It'd be fun to have a copy of the broadcast with original commercials.
The last movie I watched any amount of on broadcast TV was American Pie, during the last week of analog, just to laugh at all the editing. Caught "Hair" on the "This" network a while ago and laughed at how they removed offensive lines from one song. I used to tape movies from independent stations in the 80s that would actually show movies with no censoring, though they eventually started making minor edits after complaints.
That's what I liked about Halloween 2(tv version). It make's into a completely different movie(w/different ending). Long live the day of tv versions of movies.
Old 04-14-20, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My big TV edit movie is Born In East L.A. Since for so many years I had only seen that version, I just assumed it was about the same as the theatrical release.

Come to find out the TV release has an entire 3rd act that was cut from the film, and until last year, had not been released on DVD. Shout Factory finally put out the TV edit on the Blu-ray special edition, though it's an extra on the disc, dvd quality, and possibly full frame (I don't own it yet, and have read conflicting info on this part). Still, I will have to pick this up, as the film just makes more sense with the full 3rd act.
Old 04-14-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I have no memory of the CBS Sunday Night movie, but I do have fond memories of the ABC Sunday Night movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.