Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 03-12-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dex14
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Originally Posted by DJariya
Free Guy and Death on the Nile pulled by Disney
That's surprising, it was assumed they would dump their remaining Fox movies since they need a theatrical release. Let's hope studios offer up some of their more popular franchise titles for re-release.. .that would at least get some film fans out, I'm checking out Hunt for Red October next wk.
Old 11-05-20, 08:55 PM

Received 4,649 Likes on 3,146 Posts

Cinemark CEO Mark Zoradi said Thursday that the major exhibitor has started taking a “dynamic” approach to theatrical windows, negotiating release terms on a film-by-film basis in a concession to COVID-19.

Upcoming Universal releases like The Croods 2, Let Him Go and Freaky, for example, will play in Cinemark theaters, Zoradi said during the company’s third-quarter earnings call. The CEO stressed that there is no overall, formal shift in windows along the lines of the deal rival AMC struck with Universal last summer, however. That deal lets releases leave AMC theaters after as few as 17 days of release.
Old 11-05-20, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

There will be no major releases until there's a vaccine with a decent amount of distribution.
Old 11-06-20, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Yeah, it's funny to see McDonald's toys, or Lego sets based on various movies that were meant to hit the theaters around the same time as the toy release. I guess those things are harder to move out at the last minute.
My Godzilla vs Kong book is scheduled to be delivered in less than two weeks. I wonder if it will get pushed out again.

Old 11-06-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There will be no major releases until there's a vaccine with a decent amount of distribution.
I'd say it will go beyond that with a large number of the population taking a wait/see approach even after a vaccine is released.

By then, who knows how many theaters will be left.
Old 11-08-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing Tenet tomorrow night for the 2nd time - as of right now there is one other person in the IMAX screening, which is a massive auditorium. Looked at the other showings out of curiosity - not one ticket purchased for anything else tomorrow night. And this is for what I consider AMC's best theater in the Seattle area. Planning to go to three movies this week, because I just can't see them keeping things open at this rate.
Old 11-08-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,702 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I’m tentatively planning to see Freaky this week and maybe Vanguard next week. I saw Let Him Go on Friday. But I don’t know what else is coming in December. There’s no chance that Wonder Woman 1984 stays on Christmas.
Old 11-10-20, 11:08 AM

Wow... one of the AMCs I’ve gone to on occasion is closing for good. It had 24 screens, IMAX, Dolby. I hope the two close to me don’t suffer the same fate.
Old 11-10-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2020/11/regal-c...rs-1234611898/

Looks like Regal decided it wasn’t worth it and closed the 7 California locations and 11 NY locations that were open. The NY locations just recently reopened. They will all close on Thursday. I looked at the listings of one location and they are only doing 2 screenings per movie a day and I’m sure they are 99% empty.

I was at the Regal location in La Habra, CA to see Honest Thief and it was super slow. Totally understandable that they shut it down.
Old 11-10-20, 11:57 AM

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Ugh, this is incredibly sad. And I love the movies but wow, I love my kids more and I'm just not going to go.
Old 11-10-20, 12:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you talking about the Hamilton 24 in NJ?
Old 11-10-20, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
Are you talking about the Hamilton 24 in NJ?
Yup.
Old 11-10-20, 12:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yup.
I live right by it, and my wife took a second job there last year. The Marketfair is ok, but they have no room for Imax ( Hamilton had just updated their IMAX, and it re-opened for Onward) or Dolby. I am going to miss Hamilton
Old 11-10-20, 12:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We're already entering into the heaviest coronavirus spikes ever, and it'll get worse until Biden takes over and starts putting official procedures in place. So theaters will probably start recovering summer to fall of next year. That's my guess, even with a possible vaccine Pfizer may have now.
Old 11-10-20, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/s...ed-1234827386/

Movie theatres in San Diego and Sacramento have to shut down again because of increasing coronavirus cases in those counties.
Old 11-10-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
We're already entering into the heaviest coronavirus spikes ever, and it'll get worse until Biden takes over and starts putting official procedures in place. So theaters will probably start recovering summer to fall of next year. That's my guess, even with a possible vaccine Pfizer may have now.
How will they recover exactly? We're talking more than a billion in losses during the last quarter for AMC, Cinemark and one other chain. No clue what the overall total is now and it will just continue to accumulate.

Old 11-10-20, 05:23 PM
Banned by request

Very contingent on if/when there will be a recovery package for businesses. Right now, there's nearly a zero chance. Come January, we could see something, maybe. Until then, all of the theaters could be shuttered. Then who knows what after.
Old 11-10-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
Very contingent on if/when there will be a recovery package for businesses. Right now, there's nearly a zero chance. Come January, we could see something, maybe. Until then, all of the theaters could be shuttered. Then who knows what after.
In Houston, I saw that 12 thousand restaurants have closed permanently since March. I'm expecting the same for most of these theater chains even if they file for bankruptcy for protection.

As it stands now, The Arts (Actors, Musicians, Artists, etc) seem completely fucked. I haven't seen anything about a recovery package for them.
Old 11-10-20, 06:55 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, like I said. Government now in transition may or may not actually do something now for those business that are sinking - including the Arts people/businesses.
Old 11-16-20, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Movie theaters are now closed in my area due to spikes in coronavirus. Glad I got one last one in on Friday when I caught Freaky.

Also Cinemark just signed that 17 day PVOD deal with Universal like what AMC did.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/c...ZtiSIJ36zcRNC8
Old 11-16-20, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I just got an email that Flix Brewhouse (An Alamo-like theater/brewery chain) is closing its doors effective immediately until Covid-19 is under control.
Old 11-16-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WA is also shut down as of tonight. These shutdowns are going through the end of the year, no doubt.
Old 12-02-20, 01:01 PM

Warner Bros.’ contingency plan is considering sending several films to HBO Max, a la “Wonder Woman 1984.” With the “Wonder Woman” sequel, Warners anticipates keeping the Gal Gadot-led superhero adventure on the big screen for the standard theatrical window (typically about three months), with the major caveat that it will be available on the subscription streaming service HBO Max for the first 31 days of release. After the one-month mark, “Wonder Woman 1984” will be pulled from HBO Max and will only be available to see in theaters until it reaches the traditional home entertainment frame.

Many assume that decision, a shocking break from industry protocol, to be a one-off. But insiders suggest that may not be the case. According to sources familiar with discussions, “Judas and the Black Messiah,” a biographical drama starring Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield; Denzel Washington’s crime thriller “The Little Things;” and the “Tom and Jerry” remake could all see a hybrid HBO Max/ theatrical fate similar to “Wonder Woman 1984.” The studio also considered taking the same route with “Mortal Kombat, an adaptation of the popular video game, but expect to delay the film’s theatrical debut instead.
For now, movie theaters haven’t balked at Warner Bros.’ decision to open “Wonder Woman 1984” day-and-date — meaning on HBO Max the same day it arrives in theaters. It’s unclear how cinema operators will respond to studios making analogous moves. But months into a global health crisis that has decimated their business, film exhibitors would be ill-advised to deny any movie that could sell tickets.

Warner Bros. is hardly the only studio prioritizing streaming. Disney, the studio that shifted “Mulan,” Pixar’s “Soul” and “Artemis Fowl” on Disney Plus, has been similarly weighing the option of altering plans for upcoming titles to bulk up its subscription streaming service. Deadline recently reported that Emma Stone’s “Cruella,” “Pinocchio” and “Peter Pan and Wendy” could skip theaters in favor of Disney Plus debuts. But more pressing: there’s been little chatter about two movies from the Disney-owned 20th Century Studios — the YA musical “Everyone’s Talking About Jamie,” slated for Feb. 26 and Matthew Vaughn’s “The King’s Man,” set a couple of weeks earlier on Feb. 12. Could a Hulu or Disney Plus bow be in their futures?

The fate of other movies expected to be unveiled in early 2021, like Sony’s “Cinderella” remake with Camila Cabello (Feb. 5) and Jared Leto’s “Morbius” (March 19) still remain in question. But it wouldn’t be unexpected to see the trend of nearly constant release date changes continue into the new year. Across Hollywood, executives are expecting the film calendar to remain fluid for the near future.

With that in mind, it’s possible that MGM’s “No Time to Die” will move again after being pushed from April to November to the spring of 2021. The Bond sequel is currently scheduled to premiere on April 2, 2021, but the movie’s financial backers are wary of being the first blockbuster out of the gate because its core audience skews older, a demographic that’s been more reluctant to go to the movies during the pandemic.

Paramount has been an active seller during the coronavirus shutdown, shipping the likes of “Without Remorse,” “Coming 2 America” with Eddie Murphy and Aaron Sorkin’s “The Trial of the Chicago 7” to Amazon and Netflix and reaping hundreds of millions of dollars in the process. However, the studio doesn’t seem to be on the verge of selling any more movies.

Universal is plunging ahead with plans to release several films in the theaters that remain open during the pandemic because it has worked out deals to put them on-demand within a few weeks of their bows. AMC and Cinemark, the No. 1 and No. 3 U.S. movie theater chains respectively, are already on board with Universal’s strategy to shorten the theatrical window and bring movies more quickly to the home. Sources say the studio is close to forging a similar deal with Regal, the second largest circuit in the U.S. and the last remaining standout. That’s significant, because the three circuits combined represent over 50% of the U.S. market. The reason that Universal orchestrated these agreements in the first place was to avoid the possibility that movie theater chains would refuse to showcase the studio’s movies if they land on demand sooner than usual. (Over the summer, AMC’s CEO Adam Aron threatened such an action after Universal released “Trolls World Tour” simultaneously in theaters and on digital rental services.) Assuming the Regal deal is complete soon, the studio will have confidence to forge ahead with abridged theatrical windows without fears that it may lose out on substantial screens. Of course, that’s assuming struggling theater chains survive the next few months.

Universal deployed its new model with some success last weekend with “The Croods: A New Age,” earning more than $14 million its first five days in theaters. A year ago, that would have been a disaster. During coronavirus, it’s practically given the second “Croods” movie blockbuster status. Upcoming releases from Universal and its indie division Focus include revenge thriller “Promising Young Woman” and “News of the World,” a Tom Hanks drama that the studio did a little risk mitigation on by selling foreign rights to Netflix.

Siphoning off movies to the Netflixes, Amazon Primes and Hulus of the world would appear to be the obvious temporary solution, but insiders say it’s more complicated than flipping a switch. Studios have to take a look at contracts that may promise some kind of theatrical release, as well as renegotiate backend deal with financial partners and talent before making any announcements in the press. In the case of “Wonder Woman 1984,” insiders say that Gadot and director Patty Jenkins received generous backend deals after agreeing to send the film to HBO Max. The pair may never have hit the necessary milestones to trigger that money in the current environment, given that many theaters are closed and cinemas still haven’t opened in New York City or Los Angeles. But in pre-pandemic times, the sequel to 2017’s “Wonder Woman” would have likely been within reach of the billion-dollar mark. The original superhero adventure generated over $800 million at the worldwide box office.

Further complicating matters, studios have to play a seemingly unending game of phone tag to get all parties to sign off. Some of these actors and directors have moved on to other projects, many of which are shooting in the U.K., Australia or other exotic locals that wreaks havoc on aligning all the timezones.

If the director, major stars or producers can’t be convinced that digital debuts are their best option, the alternative is to continue kicking movies down the road. But then, they run the risk of an even more uncertain theatrical environment. There’s no indication of when moviegoing will return to a significant degree, which means waiting can be equally as risky as taking a bold bet on a streaming service. When “Tenet” premiered in September, 70% of U.S. movie theaters had reopened. By Thanksgiving, hundreds had shuttered again, leaving roughly one-third in business. The number of screens to play a movie could keep dwindling, especially if independent cinemas don’t receive federal relief.

And there are movies that have to contractually open overseas. It’s harder to convince filmmakers to move them, since essentially every country outside of the U.S. has had significantly more success controlling coronavirus, and key markets, particularly in Asia, have already fielded big box office hits. But keeping the release date internationally causes problems beyond just piracy concerns for its eventual domestic release. It’s hard to re-hype up a movie that feels like its moment has already come and gone.

That was the situation with “The Personal History of David Copperfield,” an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ novel that Fox Searchlight released at the end of August, seven months after it launched theatrically in the U.K. “Copperfield” had originally been slated to premiere domestically in the spring until COVID upended those plans. It’s a bigger issue with independently financed productions, which rely on a foreign pre-sale process in which producers auction off distribution rights for key territories in order to raise the money to make a movie. Unwinding those deals and getting all of the parties to comply with a new release plan during a pandemic can be difficult.

Studios executives keep talking hopefully about a return to “normal” they predict may come in the summer when a vaccine is widely available. However, few think that the industry will be able to quickly shake off the financial devastation of the past few months. Moreover, how movies open in theaters has changed perhaps irrevocably. That reality is the new world order that studios will be operating in when the pandemic finally ends.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/c...es-1234842520/
Old 12-03-20, 12:37 PM

Wow.

When Warner Bros. announced that “Wonder Woman 1984” would land on the streaming service HBO Max on Christmas, the same time it debuts in theaters, many expected it to be an isolated case in response to an unprecedented pandemic.

Instead, the studio will deploy a similar release strategy for the next twelve months. In a surprising break from industry standards, Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate — a list of films that includes “The Matrix 4,” Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” remake, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical adaptation of “In the Heights,” Sopranos prequel “The Many Saints of Newark,” and “The Suicide Squad” — will debut both on HBO Max and in theaters on their respective release dates. The shocking move to simultaneously release movies day-and-date underscores the crisis facing movie theaters and the rising importance of streaming services in the wake of a global health crisis that’s decimated the film exhibition community.

Warner Bros.’ 2021 release slate also includes Denzel Washington’s thriller “The Little Things,” biographical drama “Judas and the Black Messiah,” a remake of “Tom and Jerry,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” video game adaptation “Mortal Kombat,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy,””Reminiscence,” James Wan’s “Malignant” and sports drama “King Richard.”
Old 12-03-20, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Holy shit

I'm shocked. Sure, people who don't like going to the movie theatres will be happy, but this is bad for the industry and bad for those movies financials.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.