Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 03-12-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dex14
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

https://deadline.com/2020/04/cinemar...us-1202908960/

Cinemark theatres (if you live near one)
will re-open July 1st.

They will bring back employees 2 weeks prior.

Old 04-15-20, 01:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Dangerous shit there.
Old 04-15-20, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
Dangerous shit there.
If some guy has a fever and is hacking it up, they have no business going to a movie. They need to go to an ER.

If they try to enter a theatre in that kind of condition, they should be fucking arrested.
Old 04-15-20, 01:09 PM
Banned by request

The theaters have it upon them to make those decisions. Opening without full approval of the medical professionals will put anyone who goes there in danger - and that includes the asymptomatic ones. That guy would seem healthy and not hacking it up, but could still have the virus. It's dangerous to even think about opening so soon.
Old 04-15-20, 01:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If some guy has a fever and is hacking it up, they have no business going to a movie. They need to go to an ER.

If they try to enter a theatre in that kind of condition, they should be fucking arrested.
Asymptomatic bro. Have you been reading the news?
The following 2 users liked this post by Mabuse:
IDrinkMolson (04-15-20), Jay G. (04-15-20)
Old 04-15-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Asymptomatic bro. Have you been reading the news?
Yes I'm aware. I can go to Ralphs right now and I could run into 10 people who are asymptomatic.

They could also require masks and no concessions be sold, but that would hurt their bottom line because that's how they make their money.

Or as previously planned before the lockdown, they could cut down the seats sold, so you don't end up sitting next to anyone.
Old 04-15-20, 01:33 PM
Banned by request

As long as they don't have 10 people or more - unless that changes, which I suspect it won't. I think Cinemark is just being optimistic, but not realistic.
Old 04-15-20, 03:39 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

There is a possibility that new cases will drop to a low level by the end of May, then it can be a matter of checking temperatures to minimize the possibility of actively sick people trying to get into a theater or club. Certainly there is a chance of a asymptomatic person, but if known active cases are very low, the chances of that will also be very low. At risk people can choose not to go out, social distancing can still be done as much as possible, hand sanitizing stations, wearing masks, etc, to help prevent spread even in the same room as a sick person with no symptoms.

If I were to go to a theater or a show, it would be up to me then to not interact much in close proximity with my elderly mother. I think this concept of keeping everything shut down for 18 months is just crazy talk. But debating June 15th vs July 1st vs July 15th, etc, should be discussed and rolled out in a phased approach to monitor any possible outbreaks.
The following users liked this post:
Howiefan (04-15-20)
Old 04-15-20, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

If shutting everything down for 18 months means my family and friends get to live - fuck it, shut everything down for 18 months.
Old 04-15-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

If shutting everything down for 18 months means my family and friends get to live - fuck it, shut everything down for 18 months.
Speak for yourself. You have a job that isn't affected by this. But millions are sitting at home with no work. Unemployment doesn't last 18 months. I work in entertainment as well. I can't not work for 18 months, I would be homeless.

At some point, when the conditions improve and when they can be sure the patrons and employees can work in a comfortable and safe environment, things have to re-open including movie theatres.
Old 04-15-20, 04:46 PM
Banned by request

I guess we’ll all have to gauge how much a human life is worth. I don’t speak only for myself, I speak for a lot of people who are willing to do sacrifices in order to preserve life. And how do you know my job isn’t affected by this?
Old 04-15-20, 04:49 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I guess we’ll all have to gauge how much a human life is worth.
Black Widow.
Old 04-15-20, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess we’ll all have to gauge how much a human life is worth.
I understand what your saying, but you can't think about yourself only and think I'm good, my friends are good and have a secure job, so they can shut down the whole U.S. for 5 more years for all I care.

Keeping this more entertainment related. Thousands of employees in movies and TV are freelance. I'm also freelance. We work job to job. I get that things haven't improved significantly enough for productions to resume. But eventually they will. Life has to go on. Of course I'm worried about getting sick, but since my job at NFL Network went on hold, I've stayed at home along with many of my colleagues probably 90% of our days and have followed all the guidelines. But, we all need to go back to work eventually. Saying that we need 18 more months to close everything just isn't reasonable. I don't have a job where I can log on and do all my shit and eat lunch from the comfort of my house. Millions of others don't either.
Old 04-15-20, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DJariya
I understand what your saying, but you can't think about yourself only and think I'm good, my friends are good and have a secure job, so they can shut down the whole U.S. for 5 more years for all I care.
No way did I say that or infer it. We’re all suffering. I was a contract worker and was let go (I’ve been coding for the last few years). So now I don’t qualify for benefits. It directly affects me. I know there’s millions in the entertainment industry, but just saying everyone needs to be employed again doesn’t mean we need to put lives at risk. We are all suffering, including you and me. But if you get it, then what? Let them get the testing ramped up at minimum before anyone thinks of lifting any quarantine. But preferably a vaccine, but that’s more than likely much further out.

But I’d rather you and I have it tough for a while than hearing any one of us here end up with this virus.
Old 04-15-20, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

Now the LA mayor has said this.

Los Angeles mayor says 'very difficult to see' large gatherings like concerts and sporting events until 2021
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/polit...ntv/index.html
Old 04-15-20, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

No way did I say that or infer it. We’re all suffering. I was a contract worker and was let go (I’ve been coding for the last few years). So now I don’t qualify for benefits. It directly affects me. I know there’s millions in the entertainment industry, but just saying everyone needs to be employed again doesn’t mean we need to put lives at risk. We are all suffering, including you and me. But if you get it, then what? Let them get the testing ramped up at minimum before anyone thinks of lifting any quarantine. But preferably a vaccine, but that’s more than likely much further out.

But I’d rather you and I have it tough for a while than hearing any one of us here end up with this virus.
Alright Emit, sorry I was a bit hard on you. I don't want to come across as selfish either. I'm just frustrated because of how shitty the government handled this, which has compromised so many in my industries livelihoods.

Old 04-15-20, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

I understand, and I know you’re in that industry and your mother is part of Disney. You’re hit way harder than I am. There’s no way to not be pissed at the absolute failure of our government.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (04-15-20)
Old 04-16-20, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Some news about movie theaters. But, this is contingent on what your local government decides. At least for my State (CA), nothing is happening until at least May 15th.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...g-plan-1290593

The White House is recommending that movie theaters be allowed to reopen in earnest once the coronavirus pandemic begins to subside, albeit with certain moderate social distancing protocols.

Cinemas are specifically mentioned in proposed guidelines laid out by President Donald Trump, who on Thursday briefed the country's governors on the reopening treatise, titled "Opening Up America Again."

States must satisfy a list of criteria in terms of reducing the number of COVID-19 cases before people can begin to return to work in certain locales and businesses can flip the lights on.

Trump is hopeful that some areas will be out of danger by May 1, but the White House plan doesn't lay out an official timeline.

Under the guidelines, "large venues" — a grouping that includes theaters, sports venues, sit-down dining and places of worship — should be allowed to reopen during "Phase Two" with "moderate physical distancing protocols." Schools and elective surgeries also are part of Phase Two.

Large venues also are mentioned in "Phase One," with the provision that such establishments enforce strict social distancing protocols, making it unlikely that theaters would opt to reopen en masse until Phase Two. During Phase One, for example, schools are advised to remain closed, while gatherings of 10 or more people are discouraged.

Hollywood is hopeful that many theaters will begin to turn on the lights by the end of June. The National Association of Theatre Owners didn't immediately comment on the White House plan.

Ultimately, it will be up to state and local authorities whether to allow certain public-facing businesses, including theaters, to reopen and under what terms.

"Every state is very different," Trump said at a Thursday press conference unveiling the proposal, explaining that certain states might remain closed longer than others.

The pandemic has brought the movie business to a halt. The vast majority of cinemas have been closed since March 20, while any number of productions have shut down.

Initially, theater circuits hoped to stave off closures by slashing capacity by as much as 50 percent and introducing "buffer" seating. Some of those tactics is likely to be deployed during Phase Two. The Phase Three guidelines call for "limited" physical distancing measures.

At Thursday's briefing, the White House team also was asked whether, during Phase Three of the proposed plan, arenas would be reopened with fans. "It is conceivable that we will be able to do that," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Old 04-16-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Movie theaters and other seated venues (and concerts and sporting events) are a really bad idea when you have an airborne pandemic. One infected person can easily infect the twenty-four to forty-eight people who are sitting around them for two+ hours.
Old 04-16-20, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Movie theaters and other seated venues (and concerts and sporting events) are a really bad idea when you have an airborne pandemic. One infected person can easily infect the twenty-four to forty-eight people who are sitting around them for two+ hours.
The plan is contingent on numbers improving. Gavin Newsom (the CA governor) isn't going to give the greenlight to re-open theatres on this limited basis where there's like 500 to 600 people checking into ICUs every day.

And even if there is that 1 person who is Asymptomatic who we don't know about, the theatres will likely have some strict seating arrangements like no one can sit next to you and you must wear a mask.

They also said today that sports at least for the time being will likely resume with no fans in the stands and it will be produced exclusively for TV.

This plan is a small roll out and will be left up to the local Governors to decide when to start it and give a timeline. The plan involved Dr. Anthony Fauci and I trust his opinion. They are not going to open theatres in 2 weeks and start selling Lady Gaga tickets tomorrow.
Old 04-16-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Like New York and New Jersey and probably Michigan are nowhere even close to being ready to open back up. Hell, NYC still has like 700+ people dying every day.
Old 04-16-20, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

And even if theaters do start opening up, I'm sure many people will still be too scared to go. Apologies to those in the entertainment industry, but I think I'm good as far as going to the movie theater for the rest of this year (Black Widow be damned! ). But I will certainly support earlier VOD releases at a higher rental/purchase price for films I want to see.
Old 04-17-20, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
And even if theaters do start opening up, I'm sure many people will still be too scared to go. Apologies to those in the entertainment industry, but I think I'm good as far as going to the movie theater for the rest of this year (Black Widow be damned! ). But I will certainly support earlier VOD releases at a higher rental/purchase price for films I want to see.
People aren't going to flock to entertainment venues (movies, sports, restaurants) as long as people are wearing masks and gloves. Can't see it happening. The customer demand won't be there. Even if they open up not enough people will show up to make it worthwhile. Probably cheaper for the business to stay closed. Can they generate enough revenue to offset the operating costs of being open. Imagine the cost of the electricity used during one MLB game.
If enough customers show up to break even it would be a good thing. Operate non-profit in order to provide income for employees.

Last edited by rw2516; 04-17-20 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-17-20, 07:09 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I prefer the old way the Chinese used to take our jobs.
Old 04-17-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.thewrap.com/san-diego-comic-con-postponed/

San Diego Comic Con cancelled. Not surprising. I don't think any movie studio would have attended.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-17-20 at 12:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.