Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 09:12 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
re: Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Disney still gets a cut of the profits and lets Sony make all the risks/costs. Now after the new deal, they will get an even larger profit cut. Pretty sure you can call that a win for Disney.

​​​
Not on the animated film, which is what you were originally referring to.

Old 02-26-20, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
re: Bob Iger out as Disney CEO - Bob Chapek in [2022 Update - Chapek out, Iger in]

Originally Posted by DJariya
You really don't know jack or understand how business works, especially a very successful one.

Just go back watching to drooling to every bimbo you see on TV.
Sorry did not know you were on their payroll

Had no idea he was married to Willow Bay the former host of NBA Inside Stuff

Old 02-26-20, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Not on the animated film, which is what you were originally referring to.
Than why loan out the Kingpin character to Sony?
Old 02-26-20, 11:21 PM

Than why loan out the Kingpin character to Sony?
It’s a shared character. Same how Quicksilver was able to be used by two studios.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 02-26-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It’s a shared character. Same how Quicksilver was able to be used by two studios.
Originally, the character was licensed out to Fox before his rights alongside Daredevil eventually reverted back to Disney/Marvel studios. Could they licensed the same character to two competitor studios without there being some kind of legal entanglements?

If they had co rights to the character, why no name drop or appearance in any of the previous Spider-Man movies? Remember that Sony did mention Dr. Strange in the original movie when they held the rights.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 02-26-20 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 11:41 PM

Originally, the character was licensed out to Fox before his rights alongside Daredevil eventually reverted back to Disney/Marvel studios. Could they licensed the same character to two competitor studios without there being some kind of legal complications?
Non-Exclusive To SPE.
SPE and Marvel share the following:
“Kingpin” and related characters listed on the attached Schedule 7B, but SPE may not use any of these until after Fox’s production rights to Daredevil expire. Marvel’s use of Kingpin is restricted to use in connection with Daredevil and other characters with which he appeared prior to 9/15/11.
“Jessica Drew” and specifically listed related characters. SPE may depict Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman, and Marvel may only use her without any Spider-Man-related elements.
Marvel and SPE must each notify the other of any intended use of these shared characters.
https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/07/j...reative%29.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Jay G. (02-28-20), John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 03-04-20, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

By gaining the whole world, Disney has lost its soul. It (Disney)is now bland and lifeless as a McDonald's Big Mac.
Just because you're antipopulist doesn't make you right.

If you think these movies are bland and lifeless then you're the one without a soul.

Oh yeah and for good measure they're also making this movie.

John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 03-04-20, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
This isn't entirely accurate. After his falling out with Eisner due to the Toy Story 2 contract fiasco, Jobs was ending the Disney distribution deal. The last film in their contract was Cars. Pixar began production Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up with the knowledge that they would not have any Disney involvement whatsoever. It was only after Eisner was out and Iger mended fences with Jobs that Disney bought Pixar (Iger and Jobs became close friends) and these films were brought to completion.

I won't argue the quality of Cars 2, Monsters University, Cars 3, or that dinosaur movie that I never saw, but I'd argue that they continued making quality films with Toy Story 3, Brave (yes, I love the movie), Inside Out, Finding Dory (a surprisingly decent sequel), and Coco. I'd even argue Coco and Inside Out are both masterpieces and worthy of the prominence in the Pixar hierarchy.
Thank you. It's so easy to hate on Disney and Pixar since they joined Disney but their output has been nothing short of amazing. I also totally agree that Coco and Inside Out really are some of the best of the best that Pixar has made. Everyone LOVES to focus on how bad Cars 2 was and totally ignore the rest of their production. Their output has grown too as they are putting out more movies so it's not like the sequels are really taking the place of any anything original. They're putting out two totally original movies with a few months of each other this year.
The following 2 users liked this post by tanman:
Hokeyboy (03-04-20), John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 03-04-20, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Under Iger's reign, live action/cgi remakes of their classic 90's animated library and flicks based off of amusement park attractions. Just picked up where Eisner left off with more unoriginal cash grab ideas. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!
You're acting like they're only making live action CGI/live action remakes and totally ignoring the rest of their wholly original output.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 03-04-20, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really do not like this transition. I know he's been planning it for a long time but it was a very strange announcement. Effectively immediately? I hope he isn't sick or something. Also I really don't like his replacement. I think the very best we can hope for is a continuation of the status quo. I'm really worried about the theme park side of things because Chapek is the guy responsible for a lot of price increases and a lot of cost cutting in the parks. The whole theme park fandom is losing their minds over him being the CEO. They were hoping that maybe the new CEO would have ousted him.
Old 03-04-20, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I really do not like this transition. I know he's been planning it for a long time but it was a very strange announcement. Effectively immediately? I hope he isn't sick or something. Also I really don't like his replacement. I think the very best we can hope for is a continuation of the status quo. I'm really worried about the theme park side of things because Chapek is the guy responsible for a lot of price increases and a lot of cost cutting in the parks. The whole theme park fandom is losing their minds over him being the CEO. They were hoping that maybe the new CEO would have ousted him.
This week they cut "complementary" bread from all the WDW restaurants that provided such. I've heard Chapek is a penny-pincher too, but he's not going to help himself by making moves that save Disney very little and give the parks a lot of bad press.
Old 03-04-20, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Disney thrived under Iger... Star Wars was hit and miss but I don't think that apple should spoil the perceived bunch.
Old 03-04-20, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This week they cut "complementary" bread from all the WDW restaurants that provided such.
Petty-assed shit like that is never a good sign.
Old 03-04-20, 02:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This first place they hit is always dining. There was a period of time right before the 50th anniversary. Roughly 2000-2004 that Disneyland was in like its darkest days. They closed several dining locations entirely.
Old 03-04-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
You're acting like they're only making live action CGI/live action remakes and totally ignoring the rest of their wholly original output.
Pixar aside, can you give some examples?
Old 03-04-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Does that include skipping the 22ish Marvel movies, Frozen series, Moana, Wreck It Ralph series, Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Gravity Falls? Because really outside of that, they just have remakes and Star Wars, and maybe Avatar for some people. Nothing of note.

John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 03-04-20, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Does that include skipping the 22ish Marvel movies, Frozen series, Moana, Wreck It Ralph series, Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Gravity Falls? Because really outside of that, they just have remakes and Star Wars, and maybe Avatar for some people. Nothing of note.
Wholly original would seem to exclude the Marvel movies (many of which were not released under the Disney umbrella), Big Hero 6, and the Frozen and Ralph sequels), so yeah, question stands.
Old 03-04-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They still made like 17 of the Marvel movies under the Disney umbrella.

But yeah I missed the "wholly original" part, so Frozen was based on Hans Christian Andersen book if you want to eliminate that one too, as has always been true, Disney has made most of their money through adaptations of older stories. Their live action stuff is also generally adapted and often medicore (The BFG, A Wrinkle in Time, Into the Woods, Tomorrowland*, Queen of Katwe, The Finest Hours, McFarland, USA, Million Dollar Arm, Saving Mr. Banks, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, etc; are all adaptations).

So you're basically stuck with Ralph, Moana, Zootopia and Gravity Falls.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-05-20 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Pixar aside, can you give some examples?
Pixar is part of Disney so why would you ignore their output?

How far back do you want to go? Under Iger's watch for the past 15 years for just Walt Disney Animation and ignoring sequels:

Chicken Little
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt
Princess and the Frog
Tangled
Wreck It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Moana
Raya and the Last Dragon (11/25/20)

That's 10 over the last 15 years. IMHO that's a sizable output for the studio. Keep in mind animated films still take a really long time to make.

How many sequels have there been? Just 3, Winnie the Pooh, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Frozen 2.
Old 03-06-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just for shits and gigles are we considering Snow White, Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Peter Pan, Lady & the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas, Tarzan, et al, original works?

Seems like an odd metric to judge the studio whose entire catalog was mostly created based on other people's work.

Also, no love for Phineas & Ferb?
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 03-06-20, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew I was forgetting a major one
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 03-06-20, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just for shits and gigles are we considering Snow White, Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Peter Pan, Lady & the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas, Tarzan, et al, original works?

Seems like an odd metric to judge the studio whose entire catalog was mostly created based on other people's work.

Also, no love for Phineas & Ferb?
Is Frozen an original work? It's based on the Snow Queen but doesn't resemble that story at all. My personal opinion is if it was more inspired by an original work then it's pretty much original. They change the story so much anyways that its pretty much unrecognizable. To me Walt Disney was pretty smart for choosing these stories. They are recognizable enough since they are fairytales, they are timeless, and they are out of copyright so they usually don't have to pay copyright and can make changes to the story as they need to.

The point is that all the people that claim that Disney hasn't been doing anything original has to actively ignore a large portion of their movies.
Old 11-20-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Holy shit. 2 years later. Chapek out, Iger unretires

Old 11-20-22, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Now if they would just clean the house at Lucasfilm...
PhantomStranger (11-23-22)
Old 11-20-22, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I mean Iger had a successful run no doubt but realistically how long is he going to stay around?

I looked it up and he’s 71 so I wouldn’t imagine he’ll want to stay as CEO and take time away from retirement for too long.

Just long enough to get someone else under his wing that’s a more worthy successor and who will be a better fit maybe?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.